Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > BUTCHFEMMEPLANET.COM NEWS AND INFORMATION > Queerbay - Your ButchFemmePlanet Marketplace!

Old 12-09-2009, 03:24 PM   #1
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 5,631 Times in 1,013 Posts
Admin has disabled reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Queerbay Issues

Known issues will go here
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:27 PM   #2
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Location: where the road goes on forever and the party never ends
Thanked 1,533 Times in 437 Posts
little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

will you make an announcement here when it's up and running?

will there also be guidelines for image sizes, resolutions, etc etc etc?

i'm a rambling man
i ain't ever gonna change
i got a gypsy soul to blame
and i was born for leaving

--zac brown band (colder weather)
little man is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 03:30 PM   #3
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by little man View Post
will you make an announcement here when it's up and running?

will there also be guidelines for image sizes, resolutions, etc etc etc?
You bet Wil!

I am still tinkering in the back end with everything that it does. As far as images, the allowed images is pretty small because they are stored on our server. There will, however be the option for someone to host their photos on an outside source (like Photobucket) and hotlink.

This system isnt very fancy at all so I am also keeping my eye open for something better
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 04:05 PM   #4
QueenofQueens
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Seerauber, Centaurita Bonita, QoQonut, Volupté Suprême
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lux, Ms. Lisbon if you're nasty.
Relationship Status:
Left of Centaur and blissfully betrothed.

QueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST ReputationQueenofQueens Has the BEST Reputation

Can't wait til' it's up and running. I deeply appreciate that you're including this onsite!
QueenofQueens is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:06 PM   #5
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,179 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by QueenofQueens View Post

Can't wait til' it's up and running. I deeply appreciate that you're including this onsite!

Yeah.....what Blaswarth said....
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:20 PM   #6
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

medusa,

When you go to list something for sale it asks for ones address...how private will this be? and will all payment be paypal?

I can hardly wait for someone to rent me out
Old 12-09-2009, 04:43 PM   #7
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean Thoreau View Post
medusa,

When you go to list something for sale it asks for ones address...how private will this be? and will all payment be paypal?

I can hardly wait for someone to rent me out

Dean,

It does ask for an address because this was originally set up so that each Buyer and Seller received an email with one another's address in the private message. This puts your address into the system for that.

I have, however, disabled the address message feature and changed the language so that the Seller's address does NOT appear to the Buyer.

At this time, Paypal is the only option for payment but the seller will have the option to list within their post if they prefer another form of payment.

Like I said, its a wonky little system
Old 12-09-2009, 04:45 PM   #8
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

I love queerbay and you shall see me there often whether you like it or not!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 04:52 PM   #9
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

little man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputationlittle man Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
You bet Wil!

I am still tinkering in the back end with everything that it does. As far as images, the allowed images is pretty small because they are stored on our server. There will, however be the option for someone to host their photos on an outside source (like Photobucket) and hotlink.

This system isnt very fancy at all so I am also keeping my eye open for something better
so, if i'm reading this correctly, i could put up a thumbnail that originates from an image i have on flickr or somesuch? then, clicking the thumbnail would take you to the outside site to view a larger pic?

then, sales go through this site? you guys will be making a percentage or something off sales, right? it's only fair to offset the costs for hosting the images and whatnot onsite.

i'm a rambling man

Old 12-09-2009, 04:59 PM   #10
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
so, if i'm reading this correctly, i could put up a thumbnail that originates from an image i have on flickr or somesuch? then, clicking the thumbnail would take you to the outside site to view a larger pic?

then, sales go through this site? you guys will be making a percentage or something off sales, right? it's only fair to offset the costs for hosting the images and whatnot onsite.

You are correct on the thumbnails Wil! I think it would give folks a better option to have MORE photos this way, and it wont tax our storage as badly.

At this time, The Planet has no plans to take a percentage of sales from any of the sellers. We have kinda struggled over how to address the issue of "to charge or not to charge". I dont want to charge folks for this service but it WILL take up space on the server and possibly cost a little extra in bandwidth if the usage is moderate to heavy.
I had thought of maybe making it a $9 a year service with unlimited listings. This would ONLY be needed to cover any additional load on the servers but right now, the Planet is in such good financial shape that I just dont have the heart or think its necessary.

I think that we can maybe give folks the option to make a tiny donation if they feel they need to?

One of the main reasons I wanted to see this happen here is because I really do believe in keeping the Queer dollars flowing to one another in our community and there are a ton of people here who are either low-income or on a fixed income who could really use a free option to make a little $$ for themselves. With eBay being SO expensive with fees, I want Queerbay to really reflect our vision of supporting the site and one another.

Ideas? Thoughts?
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 05:09 PM   #11
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,744 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

What about having people link their products to a picture in their Gallery?

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2009, 05:13 PM   #12
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Admin View Post
You are correct on the thumbnails Wil! I think it would give folks a better option to have MORE photos this way, and it wont tax our storage as badly.

At this time, The Planet has no plans to take a percentage of sales from any of the sellers. We have kinda struggled over how to address the issue of "to charge or not to charge". I dont want to charge folks for this service but it WILL take up space on the server and possibly cost a little extra in bandwidth if the usage is moderate to heavy.
I had thought of maybe making it a $9 a year service with unlimited listings. This would ONLY be needed to cover any additional load on the servers but right now, the Planet is in such good financial shape that I just dont have the heart or think its necessary.

I think that we can maybe give folks the option to make a tiny donation if they feel they need to?

One of the main reasons I wanted to see this happen here is because I really do believe in keeping the Queer dollars flowing to one another in our community and there are a ton of people here who are either low-income or on a fixed income who could really use a free option to make a little $$ for themselves. With eBay being SO expensive with fees, I want Queerbay to really reflect our vision of supporting the site and one another.

Ideas? Thoughts?
i think you're gonna need a bigger coat to keep that big heart of yours warm.

the $9/yr seller fee is more than reasonable. cheap bastid that i am, i could buck up for that without breaking a sweat. the only other thing i could think of would be a fee based and $ amount of sales. below a certain mark, it's free...then structure it upwards. of course that's a lot of math, and i'm sure it'd be a pain in the ass. the option to donate a portion of each sale is a nice idea. after all, ain't nothin' in this life free or easy.

i'm excited to see it up and running. maybe it'll motivate me to get off my ass and put some stuff together, eh?

i'm a rambling man

Old 12-09-2009, 05:14 PM   #13
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
What about having people link their products to a picture in their Gallery?
would this not also tax the server storage?

flickr is a free deal for the basic level and tied into your yahoo (if memory serves).

i'm a rambling man

Old 12-09-2009, 09:01 PM   #14
Mindy

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Single

Mindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST Reputation

I would definitely be ok with a percentage of the sale or even a set amount of each sale going to the site. Maybe a set listing fee would come out of the item if it sells and go to the site, and an option to donate more if the seller wanted to donate more to the site than the set amount? I definitely think that the site should get something from it. Right now I'm not working and it would be hard for me to come up with the money up front, but if it came out of the selling price it would work for me. I'm not sure how that would work, if you could set it up to auto pay you for the listing or not. If not maybe an honor system where we have to pay if it sells and if it's not paid you can't list again? I dunno.

Mindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2009, 09:17 PM   #15
little man

How Do You Identify?:
mister
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
hard to hold

1 Highscore

you know, i read somewhere today about starting a scholarship fund for folks who can't afford to attend the reunion, or artist grants and the like. perhaps a small percentage of sales taken for the art grant? i can't really think of any artists i know who would balk at helping other artists out. if the site is in good enough financial shape that you wouldn't need it to keep things running, i really like the idea of the money going into a fund to help fund artists for projects or whatever. is this doable? maybe you could do a survey and see if people would be willing to slice a percentage off for that?

i'm sure this should have had paragraphs or something, but my mind is a mess and i have to get ready to leave for work.

i'm a rambling man

Old 12-09-2009, 09:27 PM   #16
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Quote:
you know, i read somewhere today about starting a scholarship fund for folks who can't afford to attend the reunion, or artist grants and the like. perhaps a small percentage of sales taken for the art grant? i can't really think of any artists i know who would balk at helping other artists out. if the site is in good enough financial shape that you wouldn't need it to keep things running, i really like the idea of the money going into a fund to help fund artists for projects or whatever. is this doable? maybe you could do a survey and see if people would be willing to slice a percentage off for that?

i'm sure this should have had paragraphs or something, but my mind is a mess and i have to get ready to leave for work.

I like this idea Wil! It is highly appropriate to the idea of Queerbay since we want to start encouraging Queer artists to do more work and become more visible. If there were small (or even large) grants for supplies and such, I cant even imagine the amazing work that could be produced in this community!

Right now, any percentage from sales would have to be on the honor system. I have already had one person who wanted to donate a percentage of her sales to the site. I think its a fabulous idea! (and very generous)

Im not opposed to the honor system and can set up a donate button with no problem in that area if people want to do that.

Other thoughts?
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2009, 07:14 PM   #17
Mindy

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Single

Mindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST ReputationMindy Has the BEST Reputation

'Dusa, I can't wait for it to be ready! lol... I'm making some of my boxes to sell. I'm planning on making some up and getting pics together and then letting people order custom made boxes, giving a little chart with colors available and they can pick colors and then I'll paint it up and send it to them. I painted a couple and took them to Vegas for a raffle um.. about 3 years ago I think. Arwen has one of them, and I don't remember who has the other (it was blue with fishes painted on it). So I'm busy as a bee getting a couple examples ready to photograph and put up as soon as it opens! whoot!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:16 PM   #18
Mindy

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
'Dusa, I can't wait for it to be ready! lol... I'm making some of my boxes to sell. I'm planning on making some up and getting pics together and then letting people order custom made boxes, giving a little chart with colors available and they can pick colors and then I'll paint it up and send it to them. I painted a couple and took them to Vegas for a raffle um.. about 3 years ago I think. Arwen has one of them, and I don't remember who has the other (it was blue with fishes painted on it). So I'm busy as a bee getting a couple examples ready to photograph and put up as soon as it opens! whoot!

Ok, so I had a stupid moment and wrote fishes when it should have just been fish... boy do I feel stupid, and Wolfy is giving me all kinds of crap over it!

Old 12-10-2009, 08:39 PM   #19
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,654 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mindy View Post
Ok, so I had a stupid moment and wrote fishes when it should have just been fish... boy do I feel stupid, and Wolfy is giving me all kinds of crap over it!

Stop picking on Mindy, Wolfy! There is one song that I can think of off the top of my head that says, "...all the fishes in the deep blue sea..."

This kind of stuff happens to me all the time.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-10-2009, 08:44 PM   #20
Mindy

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
her/she
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Stop picking on Mindy, Wolfy! There is one song that I can think of off the top of my head that says, "...all the fishes in the deep blue sea..."

This kind of stuff happens to me all the time.
Thank you so much Gemme... "joy to you and me"