Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 09-27-2012, 03:26 PM   #1
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation
Default Henna and Body Painting Thread!

when i had lunch with uncle tommi at the reunion, we started talking about henna and body painting! i had no idea there were other folks on the site interested in this, and i think we need a thread for it. come share your photos, products, tips, patterns, etc. maybe next year we can have a henna or body painting booth at the reunion!

i've been henna-ing my hair for about 2-3 years now, and doing henna tattoos for about a year. i've done a couple of small community arts events where i did tattoos on other folks but mostly i practice on myself. i'm saving up money to buy more supplies so i can practice more and hopefully improve! i'll post some pictures later of things i've done and about my process.

one of the things i really love about henna is that it's very meditative and time consuming. i have always felt like i must be doing productive things all the time, so the idea of spending hours and hours doing an intricate tattoo that is just going to disappear in a few weeks seems absurd, almost. but it's a really reflective process. mixing the henna takes about 12-15 hours, then doing a tattoo can take anywhere from a few minutes to several hours, then it has to rest for several hours and you can't touch anything while it's staining, so you essentially have to be immobile for awhile. it's a good way to force yourself to slow down and take some me-time
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #2
Words

How Do You Identify?:
Queer femme submissive
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 4,261 Times in 677 Posts
Words Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST ReputationWords Has the BEST Reputation

I lived in the Middle East for many years and often used henna on my hair or had someone else do it on my hands or feet for weddings etc. I can't say I miss the smell or the mess involved when using it on the hair but I do miss the 'process' and that feeling of doing something just for me.

On a side note - because I used to pray and couldn't wear nail polish I would sometimes henna my nails 'just because'. It actually looked pretty good, though picking out clothes that didn't clash with the orange was a nightmare.

Words
Words is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Words For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2012, 03:58 PM   #3
Beloved

How Do You Identify?:
alive
Preferred Pronoun?:
um
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,653 Times in 298 Posts
Beloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST ReputationBeloved Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I love henna tattoos!
Beloved is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Beloved For This Useful Post:
Old 09-27-2012, 04:04 PM   #4
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,435 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

yay! it's nice not being the only muslim here. i love henna-ing my nails but i hate trying to keep it on my nails - for some reason i find doing my entire nails or the palms of my hands (like, keeping the henna on til it stains) way more difficult than waiting for an actual tattoo to stain. but i stopped worrying about nail polish during prayer awhile back so i've been wearing a color that is similar in color to the henna so it blends in.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote