Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Thanked 15,248 Times in 3,064 Posts
Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Grand jury indicts officer accused of fatally shooting unarmed naked man

http://www.wsbtv.com/news/news/local/grand-jury-indicts-officer-accused-fatally-shootin/np9L4/

A DeKalb County grand jury has indicted the officer who shot and killed an unarmed naked man.

DeKalb County District Attorney Robert James presented his case to a grand jury Thursday seeking criminal charges against veteran DeKalb County Police Officer Robert Olsen.

Olsen shot and killed Anthony Hill, 27, in March claiming that Hill made an aggressive lunge toward him after responding to a call that a man was running around an apartment complex naked.

What we think about and thank about, we bring about!

Today I will treat my body with love and respect.
Andrea is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-23-2016, 10:59 AM   #102
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Andrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST ReputationAndrea Has the BEST Reputation

Inmate Dies in Durham County Jail After Medical Neglect by Detention Staff

http://amplifyvoices.com/2016/01/21/inmate-dies-in-durham-county-jail-after-medical-neglect-by-detention-staff/

Sheriff’s Department Remains Silent About Death

Durham, NC – A man incarcerated in the Durham County Detention Facility died in his cell on Tuesday, January 19 at approximately 5:30 am. The sheriff’s office has not made this death known to the public. According to those who were incarcerated with the man, his name is Matthew McCain. Eyewitnesses have reported that other inmates in Pod 3D were aware of McCain’s physical distress and pressed the emergency buttons in their cells several times, but their calls for help were ignored by Officer Boria, the detention officer on duty in Pod 3D that morning. McCain was not given medical attention and died as a result. His body remained in the cell for two hours until the coroner arrived at approximately 7:40 am.

Inmates have reported that Officer Boria has ignored emergency call buttons in the past. While Boria bears responsibility in McCain’s death, this tragedy occurred within a widespread system of abuse in the Durham County Jail. Inside-Outside Alliance has heard many reports over the past few years which point to rampant medical neglect inside the jail, with prisoners routinely being denied care, including basic medical procedures and prescription medications. Inside-Outside Alliance has been forced, on several occasions, to publicly pressure Sheriff Andrews and his staff so that inmates can receive basic medical procedures. Detainees pay $20 for every medical visit, which is four times as much as a medical visit in a state prison. Medical care inside the jail is provided by Correct Care Solutions, a private healthcare corporation that is currently being sued in connection with the death of a Forsyth County inmate.

As of the writing of this release, Sheriff Andrews has not released any information to the public about this criminally negligent homicide committed by his staff. In recent months, public pressure has been mounting for more transparency at the jail and for a community-based investigation into human rights abuses occurring there. Sheriff Andrews has insisted that inmates’ health and safety in detention is his highest priority. Yet not only has he kept Matthew McCain’s death a secret, but he has deliberately misled the public, listing McCain as “out of custody” due to “general release” on the jail’s website. Even as McCain’s body was lying dead on the floor of the Durham County jail, Sheriff Andrews and his staff appear to have been plotting to make it look as though he had simply been released. This is unacceptable and must be challenged by the public and the press.

Finally, it is important to note that this act of violence has taken place amid a nationwide onslaught of police murders and jail deaths in a country marked by a deep history of racist state violence. The same structure that killed Sandra Bland and LaQuan McDonald has taken yet another life in the Durham County Jail, and just as lynch mobs used to leave their victims’ bodies exposed as a mechanism of terror, Durham detention staff left another body where it lay for over two hours.

UPDATE: This post has been updated with Matthew McCain’s name in the hopes that his friends, family, and all those who knew him might be able to join in demanding justice for his death.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2016, 09:41 AM   #103
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Animal cruelty charge sought in police killing of cat

http://www.lehighvalleylive.com/northampton-county/index.ssf/2015/12/animal_cruelty_charge_sought_i.html

A Northampton County resident whose cat was killed by police wants the officer fired and charged criminally, the resident's attorney said Monday.

The nearly 6-year-old cat, Sugar, escaped Dec. 6 from the North Catasauqua home of Tom Newhart and wandered several houses away to the home of Mike Lienert, said Newhart's attorney, Jenna Fliszar. Unable to catch the cat and concerned she may be injured, Lienert called police.

Borough police officer Leighton Pursell responded, and his actions will be the subject of an investigation, borough solicitor Steve Goudsouzian said Monday. North Catasauqua Borough Council next meets Jan. 4, when it will determine what kind of investigation is warranted and who should conduct it, he said.

Old 01-26-2016, 09:26 PM   #104
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Oakland: Body camera shows man screamed "I can't breathe" before death

http://www.contracostatimes.com/breaking-news/ci_29435600/oakland-body-camera-shows-man-screamed-i-cant

The video -- never released by police -- shows officers ignoring Jaramillo's pleas for help and continuing to restrain him, a tactic associated with in-custody deaths and sharply criticized after the 2014 death of Eric Garner in New York. Garner's family settled a lawsuit last year for $5.9 million.

It raises questions about how Jaramillo -- who was never a suspect and has no criminal record in Alameda County -- ended up bloody, unconscious and eventually dead.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 06:37 AM   #105
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Athens woman sues Athens-Clarke County, Clarke sheriff over son's jailhouse death

http://onlineathens.com/mobile/2016-01-25/athens-woman-sues-athens-clarke-county-clarke-sheriff-over-sons-jailhouse-death

An Athens woman has filed a wrongful death lawsuit against Athens-Clarke County, Sheriff Ira Edwards and several of his deputies for the death of her son at the Clarke County Jail in 2013.

Tiffany Cooper alleges in the lawsuit that jail officials repeatedly ignored requests by her 22-year-old son to be taken to the infirmary for chest pain, shortness of breath, dizziness and other symptoms he was experiencing prior to being found dead in his cell.

An autopsy found no signs of foul play in the death of Marcus Sanchez Cooper, or any drugs or alcohol in his system, and indicated he died of “possible arrhythmia,” according to the lawsuit.

The county and sheriff were aware of at least two previous cases of prisoners dying after being denied medical attention for cardiac-related complaints, yet still failed to provide adequate medical care for prisoners at the jail, the lawsuit alleges.

“The failure to properly train and supervise jail personnel in the proper procedures in dealing with medical complaints show a deliberate and conscious indifference...to the constitutionally mandated requirement that incarcerated individuals receive appropriate medical case,” the lawsuit states.

At the time of his death, Cooper was in jail because he was arrested for a non-violent probation violation, having tested positive for marijuana. On the evening of Dec. 19, 2013, he “continuously pled with the on duty deputy sheriff/prison guards to be taken to the Athens-Clarke County Jail infirmary located at the jail,” the lawsuit states. “The guards refused to honor Cooper’s requests.”

Those requests allegedly were witnessed by several other prisoners, as they were made by Cooper to deputies Michael Davis and Richard Lowery, who are personally named as defendants in the lawsuit, as well as unknown deputies who are identified in the lawsuit as John Does 1-10.

“All such requests for a visit to the jail infirmary made by Cooper...were ignored by all the aforementioned guards,” the lawsuit alleges.

After Cooper returned to his cell from having breakfast at about 10:30 a.m. on Dec. 21, 2013, Cooper was seen lying on his bed in the same position and unmoving, the lawsuit states. While dinner was being served some seven hours later, at 5:30, several prisoners asked Davis to check on Cooper, but the deputy “refused to at first.”
Cooper’s cell mate then “proceeded to go into the cell to wake up Cooper and found Cooper to be unresponsive, cold and stiff,” the lawsuit states. The cell mate then alerted the deputy, and “only at that time did Prison Guard Michael Davis proceed to check on Cooper,” according to the lawsuit.

The jail nurse who responded to the cell determined Cooper, based on rigor mortis, had been dead for six to eight hours, the lawsuit states.

During a subsequent coroner’s inquest, the nurse testified she was not aware of Cooper’s complaints that he was feeling ill, which “lends credence to the fact that Cooper’s request for medical intervention went ignored by the guards,” the lawsuit alleges.

“Over a period of two days prior to his death, Cooper complained to guards in front of witnesses that he was having chest pains, shortness of breath and symptoms that would justify a trip to the jail infirmary at the very least,” the lawsuit states.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 09:56 AM   #106
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Family says dad who died at Durham County Jail was ‘neglected’

http://wncn.com/2016/01/26/family-says-dad-who-died-at-durham-county-jail-was-neglected/

Canady said McCain, age 29, complained from jail he wasn’t getting necessary medication to treat his diabetes and epilepsy.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2016, 09:24 PM   #107
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Ex-Marion deputy indicted in Tampa on civil rights charge after suspect's beating

http://www.tampabay.com/news/courts/criminal/ex-marion-deputy-indicted-in-tampa-on-civil-rights-charge-after-suspects/2262980

Suspect Derrick A. Price didn't spit, didn't kick, didn't threaten. He knelt and then lay on the pavement, hands outstretched, when arrested by sheriff's deputies in a community south of Ocala.

Then he was beaten.

"Stop resisting!" at least one deputy called out, as Price reacted to the blows.

Five ex-Marion County deputies now face possible prison terms. As they captured Price, video captured their conduct.

A federal grand jury in Tampa charged the last of the disgraced lawmen late Tuesday, accusing Jesse Alan Terrell, 33, of violating Price's civil rights.

Four of Terrell's former colleagues had already pleaded guilty to the crime after accepting plea agreements.

Price, 44, is black. The deputies are white.

Graphic video of the beating, which went on for at least 30 seconds, was made public for the first time on Wednesday, prompting Price's attorneys to release a statement asking for calm.

Old 01-28-2016, 02:07 PM   #108
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Officer’s dashcam microphone ‘intentionally destroyed’ before Laquan McDonald shooting

http://www.rawstory.com/2016/01/officers-dashcam-microphone-intentionally-destroyed-before-laquan-mcdonald-shooting/

The microphone equipment for the dashboard camera in the cruiser in which Chicago police officer Jason Van Dyke was riding on the night he fatally shot 17-year-old Laquan McDonald had been “intentionally destroyed”, according to maintenance documents first acquired by DNAinfo .

The records, which include service requests on hundreds of Chicago police vehicles, show that officers have routinely been involved in the intentional destruction and sabotage of body worn microphones that sync with dashboard camera video.

After the video of the Laquan McDonald shooting was released in November, it was discovered that as much as 80% of the department’s dashcam footage was missing audio. This was determined to be due to technical failure, human error or in some cases, according to police spokesman Anthony Guglielmi, “intentional destruction”.

William Calloway, a Chicago-based activist who was instrumental in obtaining the release of the Laquan McDonald footage, said the logs proved a premeditated effort by officers to avoid transparency.

“They are intentionally sabotaging this audio equipment because in their mind, they’re going to do something wrong or reckless when they’re outside on the beat,” Calloway said.

He added that he was “absolutely not shocked or surprised about it at all”.

The records show that the dashcam in Van Dyke’s vehicle, 6412, was repaired on 17 June 2014, about three months after it was reported broken. The next day, the system was reported broken again. What technicians called “intentional damage” was not repaired until 8 October 2014, DNAinfo reported.

On 20 October, the dashcam (and one in another car) recorded Van Dyke’s fatal shooting of McDonald. The next month, technicians noted the missing audio in the car’s footage and suggested “it is apparent from the uploaded videos that personnel have failed to sync the mics”.

In November 2015, after the video emerged, Van Dyke was charged with homicide .

At least six other vehicle records show technicians noting that officers had not synced their microphones. Thirty service records show cases where either mics were not synced correctly or had been “intentionally defeated”.

More than 100 records show systems missing microphones, or having damaged systems with missing components like batteries and antennas.

Before the files were released, in December, Fraternal Order of Police president Dean Angelo scoffed at the idea that officers were intentionally disabling units.

“If they’re claiming officers are purposely breaking things, then where is the history of that? Are [officers] being written up? Does the department have documentation to back those claims up? I’d like to see it,” Angelo told DNAinfo.

In December, the Chicago Sun-Times reported that before the McDonald video was released, some officers threw their microphones on to a station roof, apparently in protest about having to be recorded. A sergeant who saw the incident reported it to Chicago’s Independent Police Review Authority.

The Chicago police department owns a long legacy of misconduct that includes torture scandals concerning Commander John Burge and Detective Richard Zuley, and the operation of the Homan Square “black site”.

The most recent scandal, over an apparent attempt to cover up the Laquan McDonald shooting, has resulted in a US Department of Justice investigation.

The Following User Says Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2016, 08:25 AM   #109
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Colorado Springs police officer allegedly choked, kicked suspect

http://gazette.com/colorado-springs-police-officer-allegedly-choked-kicked-suspect/article/1568797

A decorated Colorado Springs police veteran punched, kicked and choked a handcuffed man last month when a traffic crash investigation spun out of control, police said in an arrest affidavit.

Sgt. Steven Biscaro was arrested Wednesday on suspicion of menacing, a felony, and third-degree assault, a misdemeanor, in the Dec. 2 confrontation in northeast Colorado Springs.

According to Biscaro's arrest affidavit, Michael Ferguson, 43, was gasping for air, had bugged-out eyes and feared for his life before two El Paso County Sheriff deputies intervened to stop the policeman's attacks.

"I'm gonna kill you," the man said Biscaro threatened as he struggled to breathe and began to lose vision.
Related: Former deputy's murder trial scheduled for June

The deputies reported Biscaro to their supervisor, police spokeswoman Lt. Catherine Buckley said. Ferguson filed a separate complaint against the 23-year officer, she said.

Through his attorney, John Newsome, Biscaro denied investigators' request to interview him. Newsome, Thursday, said Biscaro "is entitled to the presumption of innocence and does contest and deny these charges."

Biscaro's arrest comes amid a national debate on police use of force, fanned by at least two recent deaths resulting from police choke holds, including that of Eric Garner, a New York man whose dying words - "I can't breathe" - became a rallying cry for police critics.

The encounter in Colorado Springs started with a traffic crash at Enchanted Circle North and Oro Blanco Drive, the affidavit said.

Sheriff's deputy Chad Dickson was interviewing Ferguson after the crash when Ferguson "became unruly," at one point throwing a rock at the other driver, the affidavit said. Later, Ferguson, already handcuffed with his hands behind his back, was placed in leg chains connected to a belt restraint after he smashed his head against a window, opening a "large gash" on his forehead, the report said.

Deputies said Ferguson was under control until Biscaro arrived and "tempers flared."

Dickson said Biscaro was "condescending" toward Ferguson. A second deputy, Steven Brown, described Biscaro as being "scolding" and "short," at one point shutting the door on a yelling Ferguson, the report said.

Ferguson, upset because Biscaro "kept interrupting him and wouldn't allow him to finish a sentence," started kicking the cruiser window, the affidavit said.

Brown said he was not worried about Ferguson breaking the glass because he was restrained and "could not get any force generated," the report said. Brown, according to the report, said Biscaro kicked Ferguson in the cruiser two or three times while Ferguson was trying to "shelter himself." Then Biscaro "yanked" Ferguson from the car, causing him to fall onto the pavement, the report said.

While Ferguson was on the ground, deputies said Biscaro put his knee on Ferguson's chest and started "choking" him, the affidavit said.

Brown "remembered 'very well' that he (Biscaro) had both of his hands around Ferguson's neck," the report said. Dickson described Biscaro "using both hands with his thumbs overlapped around Mr. Ferguson's throat."

One of the deputies "pushed" Biscaro's arms away as Ferguson gasped for air, taking short breaths and showing "round" eyes, the affidavit said.

Ferguson said Biscaro twice threatened to kill him during the attack. The affidavit doesn't specify whether Dickson or Brown heard the threats.

In his arrest report, Biscaro defended his actions, saying he put his hands on Ferguson's neck to keep him from spitting on him. Biscaro said he punched the handcuffed man in the back out of a fear the suspect might be able to reach a knife in the officer's pants.

Ferguson suffered "abrasions, lacerations and contusions," along the spine, left shoulder blade, elbows and neck, the report said.

Biscaro is on paid administrative leave.

Old 02-03-2016, 06:46 AM   #110
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Suspect shot, killed by officers near Rancho Cordova Safeway

http://www.kcra.com/news/local-news/news-sacramento/officerinvolved-shooting-under-investigation-in-rancho-cordova/37786284#.VrGDZqOdUY8.facebook

Officials said the suspect threatened to kill himself with the knife.

The Sacramento County Sheriff's Department said the officers told the suspect to drop the knife, but the suspect refused. The officers then used a Taser on the suspect twice -- but he still refused to drop the knife.

The officers, fearing for their lives, shot the suspect, the Sacramento County Sheriff's Department said.

Old 02-03-2016, 12:12 PM   #111
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Bayonne cop 'whacked' handcuffed man's face, knocked out 6 teeth, U.S. Attorney says

http://www.nj.com/hudson/index.ssf/2016/02/post_806.html?hootPostID=4e6ef128f61855a41755c82bd c41e260

The Bayonne police officer who pleaded guilty to hitting a handcuffed man in the face with a flashlight struck the prisoner so hard that he knocked out six teeth, U.S. Attorney Paul Fishman said on Saturday.

In a 10-minute speech in front of roughly 85 people at a community policing forum in Jersey City, Fishman cited the prosecution of the officer, Domenico Lillo, as one way federal law enforcement is working to improve community/police relations in the state.

In doing so, Fishman confirmed a detail mentioned in an ongoing lawsuit against the officer.

"My office just prosecuted a few months ago a cop named (Domenico) Lillo who's from Bayonne, just down Kennedy Boulevard, who had a prisoner who was handcuffed, not resisting, and whacked him in the face with a flashlight, knocking out six teeth," Fishman said.

Previously, federal authorities described what Lillo did in tamer terms, saying he struck the man "in the head with a flashlight while the individual was handcuffed and not resisting arrest, which resulted in bodily injury."

According to a lawsuit filed against Lillo before he was charged federally, Lillo struck Bayonne resident Brandon Walsh so hard that Walsh experienced "permanent injury and disfigurement," including losing almost all of his front teeth.

In response to the lawsuit, Lillo's attorney said his client only admitted to using excessive force to the degree to which he pleaded guilty to in the criminal case.

"Admitted only that Mr. Lillo's one-time contacting of Brandon Walsh with the flashlight constituted excessive force to the extent it is coextensive with the guilty plea entered in the parallel criminal matter," Lillo's attorney, Roshan D. Shah, wrote.

Attorneys in the police brutality lawsuit, which was filed by the Walsh family against Lillo and two other city police officers, are arguing over whether the case should be put on pause in light of Lillo pleading guilty to federal charges.

The suit claims city officers James Wade and Francis Styles "stood by and did nothing" while Lillo struck Walsh, an allegation that Wade and Styles have both denied.

An attorney representing the city of Bayonne and the Bayonne Police Department has said Lillo's recent guilty plea "begs the question" of whether Wade and Styles are under criminal investigation by federal authorities, and whether Lillo is cooperating with authorities as part of his guilty plea.

As such, the attorney said, the defendants are requesting holding off on the discovery phase until "the resolution of all ongoing or pending criminal investigations."

In an unrelated case, Lillo also pleaded guilty in September to illegally obtaining a $20,000 loan intended for low- to moderate-income residents. His wife, Rose Lillo, was also charged and is negotiating a plea agreement, according to court documents.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:37 PM   #112
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Woman with Asperger’s who touched millions with viral video shot dead by police in Arizona

http://www.nydailynews.com/news/national/woman-asperger-shot-dead-police-article-1.2520902

A woman with Asperger’s who posted a touching viral video with her service dog last summer has been shot dead by police.

Danielle Jacobs was killed by Mesa, Arizona, officers on Thursday after they arrived at her apartment for a suicide call around 11 a.m., her mother Stacia confirmed to the Daily News.

Police told local media that the 24-year-old came at them with a knife and they fired in self-defense.

Old 02-05-2016, 12:45 PM   #113
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

SAPD chief: Man shot by San Antonio police was unarmed

http://www.mysanantonio.com/news/local/article/SAPD-North-Side-man-shot-by-police-was-unarmed-6809669.php

San Antonio Police Department Chief William McManus said that a 11-year veteran of the department who fatally shot a man Thursday evening on the North Side believed the victim was holding a gun when he pulled the trigger.

McManus, however, confirmed Friday morning that the object in the suspect's hand was actually a cellphone.

The shooting happened around 6:30 p.m. in a parking lot of an apartment complex near Isom Road. Officials said the officer pulled up to the man, identified as 36-year-old Antronie Scott, as he was exiting his vehicle. The officer approached and told Scott to "let me see your hands" and almost immediately fired his service weapon, according to McManus.

Old 02-08-2016, 07:42 PM   #114
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Officer-Involved Shooting in Northeast Austin

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2016-02-08/officer-involved-shooting-in-northeast-austin/

An 18-year-old black man was shot and killed by an Austin Police officer this morning in Northeast Austin, shortly after 10:30am.

The 18-year-old, who has not yet been identified by police, was shot by a 10-year veteran of APD who was immediately placed on administrative leave, as is customary with officer involved shootings. A spokesperson for the department declined to identify the officer.

According to APD Chief of Staff Brian Manley, who held a press conference shortly after the shooting, police were called to the 12000 block of Nature’s Bend in Northeast Austin – just south of Parmer Lane – at 9:57am after receiving a number of calls about a “suspicious man” acting “erratically” around the neighborhood.

Police reported that the 18-year-old was naked when they found him in the neighborhood. He was issued directives from responding officers but did not to follow them. Manley said the 18-year-old began charging at the officer, at which point the officer fired his gun. Austin-Travis County medics responded to the scene at 10:26am and took the body to St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center, where he died.

Department Public Information Officials have not commented on whether the 18-year-old was armed when he was shot, but his lack of clothing suggests that any potential weapon he possessed would have been held in one of his hands and in full sight. Police said dashboard camera footage from APD vehicles captured video of some of the incident but did not catch the shooting – although it did pick up audio, Manley said, of the officer ordering the 18-year-old to stay back. Police did not comment on whether or not the 18-year-old was captured on the dashboard camera footage at any point, and did not say whether APD found a gun that didn’t belong to the department anywhere in the vicinity.

Old 02-09-2016, 04:06 PM   #115
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Default Follow up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andrea View Post
Officer-Involved Shooting in Northeast Austin

http://www.austinchronicle.com/daily/news/2016-02-08/officer-involved-shooting-in-northeast-austin/

An 18-year-old black man was shot and killed by an Austin Police officer this morning in Northeast Austin, shortly after 10:30am.

The 18-year-old, who has not yet been identified by police, was shot by a 10-year veteran of APD who was immediately placed on administrative leave, as is customary with officer involved shootings. A spokesperson for the department declined to identify the officer.

According to APD Chief of Staff Brian Manley, who held a press conference shortly after the shooting, police were called to the 12000 block of Nature’s Bend in Northeast Austin – just south of Parmer Lane – at 9:57am after receiving a number of calls about a “suspicious man” acting “erratically” around the neighborhood.

Police reported that the 18-year-old was naked when they found him in the neighborhood. He was issued directives from responding officers but did not to follow them. Manley said the 18-year-old began charging at the officer, at which point the officer fired his gun. Austin-Travis County medics responded to the scene at 10:26am and took the body to St. David’s Round Rock Medical Center, where he died.

Department Public Information Officials have not commented on whether the 18-year-old was armed when he was shot, but his lack of clothing suggests that any potential weapon he possessed would have been held in one of his hands and in full sight. Police said dashboard camera footage from APD vehicles captured video of some of the incident but did not catch the shooting – although it did pick up audio, Manley said, of the officer ordering the 18-year-old to stay back. Police did not comment on whether or not the 18-year-old was captured on the dashboard camera footage at any point, and did not say whether APD found a gun that didn’t belong to the department anywhere in the vicinity.
Austin police: Teen shot by officer identified as David Joseph, 17

Austin police: Teen shot by officer identified as David Joseph, 17

***Unarmed naked child***

Old 02-12-2016, 11:44 AM   #116
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Arrest Video (Blurred)

https://www.facebook.com/LocalMemphis/videos/1018848638177911/

Old 02-13-2016, 09:41 AM   #117
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Default A different type of abuse

'Street files' raise question: Did Chicago police hide evidence?

http://www.chicagotribune.com/news/ct-chicago-police-street-files-met-20160212-story.html

The homicide files sat untouched for years in the dingy basement at a South Side police station, thousands of aging manila folders locked away in cabinets cataloging seven decades of long-forgotten killings.

Stuffed with manually typed police reports, scribbled detectives' notes, faded lineup cards and other evidence, the so-called "street files" might never have seen the light of day.

But now about 500 of the files — located in 23 cabinets — have landed at the center of a court fight over whether the Chicago Police Department for years violated its own directives by hiding evidence from criminal defense lawyers.

Old 02-14-2016, 09:14 AM   #118
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Pa. trooper charged in brutality case

http://abc27.com/2016/02/12/pa-trooper-charged-in-brutality-case/

A state police trooper has been charged in the beating of a Harrisburg man last year.

A criminal complaint filed Friday charges Trooper Ryan Luckenbaugh with two misdemeanor counts of official oppression, a misdemeanor count of simple assault, and a summary harassment count.
man-pressing-charges

Luckenbaugh, 36, of Mechanicsburg, is accused of kicking Chris Siennick in the face while Siennick was seated on the ground and handcuffed behind his back, according to the charging documents filed by the Internal Affairs Division of the Pennsylvania State Police.

He also subjected Siennick to arrest, detention, search, seizure, or mistreatment based on false allegations and facts, the criminal complaint states.

As ABC 27 first reported last year, Siennick was riding his skateboard near Second and Locust Streets on May 16 when he says Luckenbaugh and Trooper Michael Trotta called him a gay slur from their police vehicle.

Siennick admits making an obscene hand gesture to the officers. He says they circled the block, got out of their car and chased him. Siennick says they hit him with a baton and twice hit him with a Taser. After he fell to the ground, Siennick says they punched and kicked him.

Siennick was arrested on numerous charges and spent three weeks in jail with a high bail. After reviewing videotape of the incident, the Dauphin County district attorney’s office decided to drop all charges against Siennick and recommended Internal Affairs investigate the actions of Trotta and Luckenbaugh.

According to the arrest papers, the complaint filed by Luckenbaugh claimed that Siennick failed to obey verbal commands to move from the roadway, displayed an obscene gesture, and struck the police vehicle “with either his person or an unidentified object” when the troopers first encountered him.

The troopers did not stop, nor did they attempt to take Siennick into custody, but drove past him a second time. Luckenbaugh wrote that Siennick spit on the police car as they passed, but again the troopers did not stop.

The police car’s camera did not record the second encounter, nor did it capture the sound of anything striking the vehicle. The troopers are heard talking about Siennick being in the roadway and giving a middle finger, but they made no comments about anything hitting the car, the complaint against Luckenbaugh states.

After Siennick was Tasered, pepper sprayed, and handcuffed, the camera shows he was acting belligerent and yelling loud profanities. A spitting sound is heard, and Luckenbaugh delivered a kick and said, “spit on that.” Harrisburg city police officers who were on the scene said the kick struck Siennick in the face, and they did not believe it was reasonable or justified, according to the complaint.

Luckenbaugh also claimed in his paperwork that Siennick had a heavy odor of suspected alcohol, but one Harrisburg police officer told investigators he didn’t smell anything and another didn’t believe Siennick was intoxicated.

Luckenbaugh’s complaint further alleged that Siennick refused a breath test, but investigators said at no point in the police car video and audio did anyone offer Siennick a test, and city police officers didn’t recall anyone requesting one.

Luckenbaugh, a trooper since 2006, has been suspended without pay. A preliminary hearing is scheduled for Feb. 22.

The case is being prosecuted by the Dauphin County district attorney’s office.

Siennick has filed a federal lawsuit naming both troopers.

Trotta was fired last year. A state police spokeswoman said his termination was due to an “internal matter.”

Old 02-18-2016, 06:30 AM   #119
Cin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Truly Madly Deeply

2 Highscores

Thanked 10,622 Times in 2,488 Posts
Cin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST ReputationCin Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know if this is technically police custody but it is disturbing.

Why Did a 16-Year-Old Black Girl Just Die in a Kentucky Cell?

http://www.motherjones.com/politics/...ention-mystery
Cin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Cin For This Useful Post:
Old 02-18-2016, 08:05 AM   #120
Andrea

How Do You Identify?:
Mature Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Her/She
Relationship Status:
I heart Rene

Los Angeles police officers charged with sexual assault

http://www.cnn.com/2016/02/17/us/la-police-officers-sexual-assault-charges/index.html

Two Los Angeles police officers who once worked as partners patrolling the streets of Hollywood have been charged with sexually assaulting four women they encountered while on duty, prosecutors announced Wednesday.

Officers James Nichols, 44, and Luis Valenzuela, 43, are charged with multiple counts of sexual assault, including rape under color of authority, according to a criminal complaint filed in Los Angeles Superior Court.

The alleged assaults in some cases took place while the officers were on duty, according to prosecutors, including in their police car. Valenzuela is accused of pointing a gun at one of the victims.

"These two officers have disgraced themselves. They've disgraced this badge. They've disgraced this office," Los Angeles Police Department Chief Charlie Beck said at a news conference.

The officers, who were arrested early Wednesday, were not immediately available for comment. They were expected to be arraigned Thursday morning. Lawyers who represent them on pending administrative charges of sexual misconduct said they had not yet reviewed the criminal complaint, but said if the allegations were the same, the officers denied them.

Each of the women had at one point been arrested by the officers during "narcotics-related" investigations, according to prosecutors.

The alleged assaults occurred between December 2008, when the officers first became partners, and March 2011. The alleged victims were ages 19, 24, 25 and 34 at the time.

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Andrea For This Useful Post: