Old 01-17-2010, 09:07 PM   #81
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished Code Blue, A Katrina Physicians Memoir
By Richard E Deichman MD
Old 01-17-2010, 09:24 PM   #82
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by robbrt View Post
A Raisin In The Sun

and about 6 textbooks from my spring courses
Love that play but always wish more had been done with Berneatha. I wonder if she made it to med school.
Rufusboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Rufusboi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2010, 09:25 PM   #83
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Rufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST ReputationRufusboi Has the BEST Reputation

Reading Heart of Darkness. I haven't read it in 20 years so its like reading it for the first time again. Not as interesting as I thought I remembered though.

Rufus
Old 01-17-2010, 11:05 PM   #84
Isadora

How Do You Identify?:
Momma, Ma'am
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
I am in love. Truly Madly Deeply

Thanked 2,128 Times in 560 Posts
Isadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST ReputationIsadora Has the BEST Reputation

Are You There, Vodka? It's Me, Chelsea by Chelsea Handler

Irreverent
Silly
Dirty
and completely non essential....
sometimes you need a good trashy fun airport novel...

Read me! www.leatherati.com
Isadora is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Isadora For This Useful Post:
Old 01-17-2010, 11:14 PM   #85
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

Stephen King's Desperation & Under the Dome
Old 01-19-2010, 08:38 AM   #86
Bob

How Do You Identify?:
Jackass.

Bob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST ReputationBob Has the BEST Reputation

Coroner's Reports: 1896-1935, Monroe County, Indiana

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/indiana_room/coroner.pdf

So many sparse stark stories:

08/15/1932 COX, Willis H. 83, 5'11"/200 Suicide by drinking carboric acid. He became furious with his daughter-in-law Arizona Cox, and they had a quarrel. After the quarrel, he went to his room and swallowed the poison.// Nothing of value
Bob is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bob For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 10:10 AM   #87
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob View Post
Coroner's Reports: 1896-1935, Monroe County, Indiana

http://www.monroe.lib.in.us/indiana_room/coroner.pdf

So many sparse stark stories:

08/15/1932 COX, Willis H. 83, 5'11"/200 Suicide by drinking carboric acid. He became furious with his daughter-in-law Arizona Cox, and they had a quarrel. After the quarrel, he went to his room and swallowed the poison.// Nothing of value
There I was wasting away at PerezHilton when I could have been reading coroner's reports.

Quote:
05/29/1906 BUTCHER, John O 24 5'8"/150 Was examining stone for dogs when the stone came together catching his head and
accidentally fracturing base of skull; death resulting immediately.//Nothing of any value
I wonder what that means?
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 10:55 AM   #88
Softly

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Softly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rook View Post
Stephen King's Desperation & Under the Dome

Desperation is one of my favorite SK books
Softly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Softly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 11:32 AM   #89
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I wanted a Kindle sooooo bad. I didn't get one but I have a mini laptop and downloaded Kindle for PC. I LOVE it because I can get books instantly and adjust the font size HUGE making it so much easier for me to read. I still want a Kindle.

so I'm reading a lot these days.

I am now reading Debbie Fords "21 Day Conscious Cleanse" excellent book. I've been having a really tough time the past few months and this is really helping me a lot.

another I'm also reading now is Living in Costa Rica. I want to figure out a way to live part of the year here and part there. I dream about Costa Rica all the time. It keeps calling me.
The Following User Says Thank You to Sachita For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 12:29 PM   #90
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
Reading Heart of Darkness. I haven't read it in 20 years so its like reading it for the first time again. Not as interesting as I thought I remembered though.

Rufus
I have that book. I've read it a couple times, and I feel the same way. It was different at 17 than it is at 37.

Have you seen the movie? "Apocalypse Now". I think it's the movie that has changed the book for me.

And now 'The End' by The Doors is stuck in my head! LOL.

I'm reading over my instructors manual for, Adult, child, and infant first aid, CPR and AED, for a class I have to teach in a couple weeks. Helps to brush up and keep my times in check.
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2010, 01:29 PM   #91
Rufusboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Partnered

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post
I have that book. I've read it a couple times, and I feel the same way. It was different at 17 than it is at 37.

Have you seen the movie? "Apocalypse Now". I think it's the movie that has changed the book for me.

I'm reading over my instructors manual for, Adult, child, and infant first aid, CPR and AED, for a class I have to teach in a couple weeks. Helps to brush up and keep my times in check.
I haven't seen that film, but need to/want to. I forgot how heavy handed the symbolism is in Heart of Darkness. A very dark book but very true. I realized that it still remains popular because we can apply this book and its themes to a lot of what happens today.

I've got the two women knitting with black wool stuck in my head and keep thinking about hounds of hell and gatekeepers of hell. This image is getting mixed up with images from Paradise Lost and the woman/dog hounds of hell stuff that Milton used. Urgh no wonder I didn't sleep well last night. I've got Kurtz, hounds of hell and black wool running round in my head. So remind me what's so uplifting about reading again

Rufus
Old 01-19-2010, 03:27 PM   #92
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryobi View Post

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rufusboi View Post
I haven't seen that film, but need to/want to. I forgot how heavy handed the symbolism is in Heart of Darkness. A very dark book but very true. I realized that it still remains popular because we can apply this book and its themes to a lot of what happens today.
I feel the same as Ryobi--Apocalypse Now helped change how I viewed Heart of Darkness. Conrad's novella is, like Rufus says, pretty heavy handed with the symbolism; the film helped me put all that abstractness into more "real" terms ("The Horror!").

And, if you ever get the chance to see it, I encourage you to watch the mini-documentary by Francis Ford Coppola (and his Ex-wife Eleanor) that they made during the turbulent filming. Between mortgaging everything they owned to make the film, numerous health crises (Sheen almost had a heart attack), a typhoon, and difficulties with Brando, doubled filming time (and six hours of tape to edit)--the film truly was a labor of love.

The new editions of the film probably (and if it doesn't, it should) include the documentary

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-19-2010, 03:38 PM   #93
SassyLeo
Is Grateful

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Engaged

Thanked 1,584 Times in 622 Posts
SassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST ReputationSassyLeo Has the BEST Reputation

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Crooked-Little-Heart-Anne-Lamott/dp/0385491808"]Crooked Little Heart[/ame] by Anne Lamott

I love [ame="http://www.amazon.com/Anne-Lamott/e/B000APMU80/ref=ntt_athr_dp_pel_pop_1"]Anne's books[/ame].

This one is taking some time to get into...and I'm not sure if it is the story or my mood

I also LOVE Operating Instructions, Traveling Mercies and Blue Shoe (the latter 2 rival for #1 )

I've got Joe Jones next.
The Following User Says Thank You to SassyLeo For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 05:54 AM   #94
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

selections from Lucy Grealy's Autobiography of a Face--an excellent read & really wonderful to discuss with others

Alice Walker's “Beauty: When the Other Dancer is the Self”--a lovely short piece where Walker discusses her childhood trauma and how it shaped her identity

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 01-25-2010, 10:43 AM   #95
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

I am franticly re-reading The Data Valentine stories..

I'm on the last book... To Hell and Back..
Old 01-25-2010, 10:56 AM   #96
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

Homer's Odyssey By Gwen Cooper

Very good book about a woman who rescued a blind kitten and her life with him. I was totally moved by this book..truly heartwarming story

More info here
[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Homers-Odyssey-Gwen-Cooper/dp/038534385X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&s=books&qid=1264438382&sr=1-1"]Amazon.com: Homer's Odyssey (9780385343855): Gwen Cooper: Books[/ame]

Well worth reading for cat and animal lovers
Old 01-25-2010, 07:38 PM   #97
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ms Cyn View Post
I am franticly re-reading The Data Valentine stories..

I'm on the last book... To Hell and Back..
Let's make that the Dante Valentine..
Old 01-30-2010, 05:35 AM   #98
BestButchBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Male ID

Thanked 5,459 Times in 2,038 Posts
BestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST ReputationBestButchBoy Has the BEST Reputation

The Franchise Babe-Dan Jenkins
BestButchBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BestButchBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2010, 12:46 PM   #99
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

My book club decided they finally wanted to read "The help" so I am re-reading...which i don't mind a bit since it is a wonderful book...and well worth several re-reads.

The sisterhood of Blackberry Corner by Andrea Smith is wonderful ...light reading, pleasurable,,make you smile,,make u giggle, make you get a tissue....

Farewell to Alms by Gregory Clark, nonfiction, Wonderful easy to read economic history of the world...not dry but not another "Freakanomics" It is better and gives you a comfortable understanding why things that r happening are happening.

Re-Reading Idiot America - How stupidity became a Virtue in the land of the free by Charles Pierce... with all the hate mongering and ignorance being spewed these days it is worth re-reading.....i wold recommend to anyone trying to understand all the current churning of the hate in america directed at everyone and everything that is not just what conservative elitists desire.

So that is it for the weekend, my book budget is expired until monday....so i shall probably find 3 or 4 other things on the gutenberg project to download and read....free books there!
Old 01-30-2010, 01:25 PM   #100
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Sue Grafton's ..... U is for Undertow and have started Lisa Gardner's new one, The Neighbor.

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading