Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 07-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #41
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
for all the hate mongers that post the nasty spew on the comments in the article, there are so many more that support us and do not think we are evil incarnate. I am very proud of who and what I am and that I am going to Marry the woman that I love her family , my family and all my work family support us. Funny thing is that I never miss a opportunity to say we are getting married it doesn't matter what or to whom and all the reactions we have gotten are very positive from reception venues to davids bridal (they call us thier favorite brides) to waiters so it just makes me think there is a not so vocal majority out there that does get it we are not so different.... and last I checked the Bible says "Judge not lest ye be not judged"

I am very proud of you both as well Bard. It's people like you and others in this thread, on this site, and around the world, that will see us all through.

Horray for the day that this type of thread is no longer needed.

Slowly but surely i believe with all of my heart, we will get there!!!!!!
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 10:44 AM   #42
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I really don't understand why people insist on defending monotheist religion and claiming that the christian bible does not condone violence and discrimination; that the fundamentalists who use biblical verse to justify their hatred are reading mistranslations or interpreting it in order to back their own ideas. First of all, the bible is so full of blatant contradictions that you could pretty much justify anything with it. Second of all, those who claim that christianity is all about peace, love and not judging others are interpreting it to fit their own personal needs just as much as those who interpret it to justify their hatred.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
They love to spout the bible verses. YET...they only spout verses that DO NOT apply to them. I forgot the tally but there are wayyyyyyy more verses dealing with heterosexual and all-inclusive sin than there are for homosexuality. (Yes, Miss Dixie here used to be a Baptist Sunday school teacher...shocking, isn't it? lol) They only pick and choose the parts of the bible that serve their hatred towards others. They downplay or blatantly ignore any parts that apply to them. That's the part that really really really pisses me off. I'm no longer a believer in organized religion, but I do still hold on to some of my spirituality. I don't know which God they think they serve, but according to that bible they like to "throw" at us, that God is a forgiving and loving one. If I did believe in a Heaven, I would get there a lot quicker in my gayness than they will in their judgments of it.
I'm not sure how you can prove that the christian god is portrayed as "forgiving and loving" in the bible.

Some quotes with context:

Quote:
1 And Israel abode in Shittim, and the people began to commit whoredom with the daughters of Moab.

2 And they called the people unto the sacrifices of their gods: and the people did eat, and bowed down to their gods.

3 And Israel joined himself unto Baalpeor: and the anger of the LORD was kindled against Israel.

4 And the LORD said unto Moses, Take all the heads of the people, and hang them up before the LORD against the sun, that the fierce anger of the LORD may be turned away from Israel.

5 And Moses said unto the judges of Israel, Slay ye every one his men that were joined unto Baalpeor.

6 And, behold, one of the children of Israel came and brought unto his brethren a Midianitish woman in the sight of Moses, and in the sight of all the congregation of the children of Israel, who were weeping before the door of the tabernacle of the congregation.

7 And when Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, saw it, he rose up from among the congregation, and took a javelin in his hand;

8 And he went after the man of Israel into the tent, and thrust both of them through, the man of Israel, and the woman through her belly. So the plague was stayed from the children of Israel.

9 And those that died in the plague were twenty and four thousand.

10 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

11 Phinehas, the son of Eleazar, the son of Aaron the priest, hath turned my wrath away from the children of Israel, while he was zealous for my sake among them, that I consumed not the children of Israel in my jealousy.

12 Wherefore say, Behold, I give unto him my covenant of peace:

13 And he shall have it, and his seed after him, even the covenant of an everlasting priesthood; because he was zealous for his God, and made an atonement for the children of Israel.

14 Now the name of the Israelite that was slain, even that was slain with the Midianitish woman, was Zimri, the son of Salu, a prince of a chief house among the Simeonites.

15 And the name of the Midianitish woman that was slain was Cozbi, the daughter of Zur; he was head over a people, and of a chief house in Midian.

16 And the LORD spake unto Moses, saying,

17 Vex the Midianites, and smite them:

18 For they vex you with their wiles, wherewith they have beguiled you in the matter of Peor, and in the matter of Cozbi, the daughter of a prince of Midian, their sister, which was slain in the day of the plague for Peor's sake. - Numbers 25:1 - 25:18
Quote:
16 Their children also shall be dashed to pieces before their eyes; their houses shall be spoiled, and their wives ravished.

17 Behold, I will stir up the Medes against them, which shall not regard silver; and [as for] gold, they shall not delight in it.

18 [Their] bows also shall dash the young men to pieces; and they shall have no pity on the fruit of the womb; their eye shall not spare children.

19 And Babylon, the glory of kingdoms, the beauty of the Chaldees' excellency, shall be as when God overthrew Sodom and Gomorrah.

20 It shall never be inhabited, neither shall it be dwelt in from generation to generation: neither shall the Arabian pitch tent there; neither shall the shepherds make their fold there. - Isaiah 13:16-13:20
Quote:
23 But when they persecute you in this city, flee ye into another: for verily I say unto you, Ye shall not have gone over the cities of Israel, till the Son of man be come .

24 The disciple is not above his master, nor the servant above his lord.

25 It is enough for the disciple that he be as his master, and the servant as his lord. If they have called the master of the house Beelzebub, how much more shall they call them of his household?

26 Fear them not therefore: for there is nothing covered , that shall not be revealed ; and hid, that shall not be known .

27 What I tell you in darkness, that speak ye in light: and what ye hear in the ear, that preach ye upon the housetops.

28 And fear not them which kill the body, but are not able to kill the soul: but rather fear him which is able to destroy both soul and body in hell.

29 Are not two sparrows sold for a farthing ? and one of them shall not fall on the ground without your Father.

30 But the very hairs of your head are all numbered .

31 Fear ye not therefore, ye are of more value than many sparrows.

32 Whosoever therefore shall confess me before men , him will I confess also before my Father which is in heaven.

33 But whosoever shall deny me before men, him will I also deny before my Father which is in heaven.

34 Think not that I am come to send peace on earth: I came not to send peace, but a sword.

35 For I am come to set a man at variance against his father, and the daughter against her mother, and the daughter in law against her mother in law.

36 And a man's foes shall be they of his own household.

37 He that loveth father or mother more than me is not worthy of me: and he that loveth son or daughter more than me is not worthy of me.

38 And he that taketh not his cross, and followeth after me, is not worthy of me.

39 He that findeth his life shall lose it: and he that loseth his life for my sake shall find it.

40 He that receiveth you receiveth me, and he that receiveth me receiveth him that sent me.

41 He that receiveth a prophet in the name of a prophet shall receive a prophet's reward; and he that receiveth a righteous man in the name of a righteous man shall receive a righteous man's reward.

42 And whosoever shall give to drink unto one of these little ones a cup of cold water only in the name of a disciple, verily I say unto you, he shall in no wise lose his reward. - Matthew 10:23 - Matthew 10:42
Saying that fundamentalists ignore the sins that relate to them in favour of those they focus most open is pretty much what you do when you claim that they are doing so. Except you do the opposite, and focus on the biblical passages that you wish to emphasize, while downplaying the passages that describe a wrathful, unforgiving god who calls homosexuality an abomination formerly practiced by nations which have been wiped out by the wrath of god and servants of god.

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
It is very fitting Dixie and we both know it is a big part of our discrimination down here in the south.

I've posted over and over that i believe in God and the Bible, but not the markers and translations that some use. To me it is a guide and it has been so dramatically changed over the years and so harshly thrown in people's faces for the wrong reasons that it makes me want to scream "WHAT GOD ARE YOU SERVING, IT IS A FAR CRY FROM THE ONE I KNOW".
How can you judge what the right or wrong reasons are? The history of christianity, as well as the bible itself have shown overwhelmingly that if you take christianity as what it is described in its own "holy text," as well as the acts of the majority of its believers throughout the majority of its history acting in accordance with that text, then the view you present here of the bible is really only the view of a minority of christians (and the christian text) over the course of christian history. The view of the bible and christianity as accepting, non-judgmental, peaceful etc. is a fairly modern approach to the christian religion. It may not be the god you "know," but it is certainly the god that has been worshiped and spoken of throughout the majority of christian history and in the christian bible.

Yes, the bible has undergone many translations over the course of history, it wasn't written by one person or in one fell swoop to begin with. The bible is man-made, just like god. As such, it is a complete reflection of the times in which it was written, and the time in which that particular religion was created and eventually popularized. As such, the bible supports stoning women to death for being raped or for performing adultery, massacring entire nations for believing in multiple gods and without so much as leaving a child alive, enslaving polytheists, selling daughters as sex slaves, condemning homosexuals as abominations unto god and so on. The modern PC version of christianity really is a mutation of the original.

So long as the bible is popularly viewed as real evidence legitimizing or illegitimizing an argument, then discrimination will continue; and so will people continue to believe that discrimination can be justified on the basis of religious freedom, and that religious freedom should take precedence over all other civil rights. And that is one of the primary problems with the United States: religion is too highly valued, and viewed to have real worth when it comes to civil rights issues. The bible is not a tool to be used in order to prove the necessity for equality. It should not, and the LGBT community should not be humouring these fundamentalists by trying to argue over verses from a holy text that condones stoning people to death, as though it would somehow help advance LGBT rights.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 11:50 AM   #43
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Ender,

Quite simply:

I will believe what i want to believe. I will worship who i want to worship. I will stand proud in doing so.

We can quote scripture all day long back and forth, and let's not forget about dragging out the original writings and the Strong's Concordance, OH and then our personal life experiences, will still leave those on opposing sides shaking their heads and more than likely still on opposite sides.

I'm sorry that you don't "understand it". It is not my desire to make sure you do. I agree with some of your post, and have made that clear with previous posts in the religious threads, that SOME Christianity followers and SOME of those involved have done horrific things. I am not in a secular religion. I am a believer in God. I am not part of a conspiracy to undermine mankind, women, our LGBT community or anyone or anything. I am an ally and i'm trying to get my foot into what i can do as a gay femme to help everyone in my community when the opportunity presents itself. As it has here locally for me in this situation.

This has also been said before as well....there are many, horrific things that have been done by people claiming all sorts of religions and non religions, and it certainly continues today. Christianity is not the singular cause.

Pretty sure there is a thread about this. Yes, i'm positive actually. However, i see where Christianity was brought up here lightly and that is may be why you posted what you did.

At the end of the day....believe what you want. I sure will.

Thank you for your opinions. You certainly have a right to them. As i do mine.

Back to topic...

I found this today.

http://www.christianpost.com/news/do...ination-52751/

Gay advocacy groups are charging Dolly Parton's Dollywood theme park with discrimination after a lesbian wearing a ‘‘Marriage Is So Gay" t-shirt was told at the gate that she must turn the shirt inside-out before she could enter.
Related
DADT Repeal Unfounded, Defies Religious Freedom, ADF Says
Lesbian Couple Sues Vt. Inn Over Marriage Ceremony
Can Christians Escape the 'Hate' Label in Gay Marriage Debate?Related Topics
HomosexualityFree SpeechOlivier Odom decided to oblige to the request of the employee of the Knoxville park by hiding the slogan. She then entered with her spouse of one year, Jennifer Tipton.

Odom, under the advice of a group called Campaign for Southern Equality, has since written a letter to the park about the incident that occurred two weeks ago. The letter was published online in the “Censorship in America” blog and several gay advocacy media sites earlier this week.

“To ensure that your customers are not treated this way in the future, I would like to see Dollywood implement policies that are inclusive of lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender (LGBT) people; conduct staff sensitivity training; and issue a public statement indicating that the park is inclusive of all families,” Odom wrote.

A Dollywood spokesperson said the incident was a misunderstanding and a matter of a strict dress code policy, according to news reports.

"Thousands of times a day our front gate hosts are asked to enforce our dress code policy,” the spokesperson, Pete Owens, told The Advocate.
Maya Angelou
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 12:00 PM   #44
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

And this.....

I'm still watching and waiting and hoping and praying something positive comes from this....

http://gaylife.about.com/b/2011/07/2...ay-t-shirt.htm

Dolly Parton's usual support for gay rights was lost in translation at her Dollywood theme park, where a lesbian couple was asked to cover up their pro-gay T-shirts.

Olivier Odom and Jennifer Tipton were visiting Dollywood with friends when park staff asked them to turn their "marriage is so gay" shirts inside out. The couple was told their messaging wasn't welcome at the Pigeon Forge, Tennessee entertainment complex, a so-called a family establishment. The couple later filed a complaint. "Families come in a wide range of definitions these days and we were with our family," Tipton told the AP.

Dolly Parton co-owns Dollywood with Herschend Family Entertainment Corporation, which includes a theme park, Dollywood's Splash Country, and the chain of "Dixie Stampede" dinner theaters. It's also home of the Southern Gospel Museum and Hall of Fame.

The park staff's behavior is far from Parton's position on gay rights. Given the negative press of this incident, Parton will have to again speak out on her allegiance. Her past comments on gay rights, however, speak for themselves. "Having a big gay following," Parton previously acknowledged. "I get hate mail and threats. Some people are blind or ignorant, and you can't be that prejudiced and hateful and go through this world and still be happy." And in 2009 when asked if she supported gay marriage, the country music legend told Joy Behar: "Sure, why can't they get married? They should suffer like the rest of us do."
Maya Angelou
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 12:52 PM   #45
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Get it?? "Let go of my ears. I know what I'm doing."

Old 07-28-2011, 01:06 PM   #46
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by EnderD_503 View Post
I really don't understand why people insist on defending monotheist religion and claiming that the christian bible does not condone violence and discrimination; that the fundamentalists who use biblical verse to justify their hatred are reading mistranslations or interpreting it in order to back their own ideas. First of all, the bible is so full of blatant contradictions that you could pretty much justify anything with it. Second of all, those who claim that christianity is all about peace, love and not judging others are interpreting it to fit their own personal needs just as much as those who interpret it to justify their hatred.

I don't recall saying it is ALL about peace, love and not judging.

I'm not sure how you can prove that the christian god is portrayed as "forgiving and loving" in the bible.
If I wasn't sitting outside my class on my phone, I could quote just as many for peace and love as you have for vengeance and violence, so let's not go there shall we...
Some quotes with context:

Saying that fundamentalists ignore the sins that relate to them in favour of those they focus most open is pretty much what you do when you claim that they are doing so. Except you do the opposite, and focus on the biblical passages that you wish to emphasize, while downplaying the passages that describe a wrathful, unforgiving god who calls homosexuality an abomination formerly practiced by nations which have been wiped out by the wrath of god and servants of god.

I also did not say that there weren't verses that deal with the abominations of homosexuality. I said that they pick and choose what applies to them while ignoring the rest. I objectively view ALL of it, and in doing so use it to remind them to view all as well. The only time is even speak of religion is in something where a religious view is centered, as with the topic at hand. Rarely if ever do I use it in my daily life. As I said previously, I am not a religious person.

I would prefer that you not assume to know what my views are or how I use those views. Needless to say, you would be (and are) extremely mistaken.

And that is all the conversation I will have on religion.
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 01:07 PM   #47
Glenn

How Do You Identify?:
Northwest Wind and Lake Michigan
Preferred Pronoun?:
Paesano
Relationship Status:
Solo

Thanked 3,731 Times in 1,096 Posts
Glenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST ReputationGlenn Has the BEST Reputation

There is always a distinct possibility for common public retribution whereby corporate policy changes can occur. But.. you still may get the ol Eddy Haskel,"You look beautiful today Mrs. Cleaver." when your wearing your Dollywood is Gay T shirt.
Glenn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Glenn For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 01:10 PM   #48
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorninthesofa View Post
There is always a distinct possibility for common public retribution whereby corporate policy changes can occur. But.. you still may get the ol Eddy Haskel,"You look beautiful today Mrs. Cleaver." when your wearing your Dollywood is Gay T shirt.

I'll take it.

It's a start.
Maya Angelou
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 07:26 PM   #49
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by popcorninthesofa View Post
I want a Dollywood is Gay T-shirt!!
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2011, 08:06 PM   #50
T4Texas

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Ready to play again!

T4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
They love to spout the bible verses. YET...they only spout verses that DO NOT apply to them.

Amen to that. (no pun intended). Unfortunately when dealing with bible belt mentality, you have to remember that they only see themselves as right and there's no changing that. It's such a total hypocritical thing, a double standard. I stopped worrying a long time ago about what straight/religious/other types thought about me and my lifestyle. The straight people don't matter to me because if they can't see me for the person I am, then to hell with them. We are not defined by who we sleep with. The religious types don't matter because the God I believe in is not going to send me to burn in hell because I love someone of my own sex. As for the Dollywood people, they need to understand that their 'family' park should also accomodate different types of family units...because thats the way life is now and they need to get in step with the times.
Old 07-28-2011, 08:09 PM   #51
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Texas View Post
Amen to that. (no pun intended). Unfortunately when dealing with bible belt mentality, you have to remember that they only see themselves as right and there's no changing that. It's such a total hypocritical thing, a double standard. I stopped worrying a long time ago about what straight/religious/other types thought about me and my lifestyle. The straight people don't matter to me because if they can't see me for the person I am, then to hell with them. We are not defined by who we sleep with. The religious types don't matter because the God I believe in is not going to send me to burn in hell because I love someone of my own sex. As for the Dollywood people, they need to understand that their 'family' park should also accomodate different types of family units...because thats the way life is now and they need to get in step with the times.
Great post.

Thank you for joining in.
Maya Angelou
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 07-30-2011, 03:20 PM   #52
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

As far as i can find/tell there still has been no contact from Dolly or Dolly's "people" to the woman who was forced to turn her shirt inside out. But i could be wrong...i've been working.

This is a good article...

This will NOT go away i don't believe.

still watching

The Players: Olivier Odom, professional welder and metal-working art instructor; Pete Owens, manager of Dollywood PR and Dollywood's Splash Country--a waterpark connected to Dollywood, an amusement park co-owned by Dolly Parton.

The Opening Serve: On a July 9 visit to Dollywood and Dollywood's Splash Country with her wife and a friend's children, Odom wore a shirt that read "Marriage is So Gay." Odom told us, "When we got to Dollywood Splash Country, the man at the entry gate whispered in my ear that I needed to turn my shirt inside out." Dollywood has a dress-code policy where clothing that is deemed offensive is either covered up or turned inside out.

Owens confirms this in an interview with The Advocate, a gay and lesbian news magazine."Thousands of times a day our front gate hosts are asked to enforce our dress code policy," he said. "It doesn't have anything to do with who the people are or what their belief system is or with anything other than the fact that we try to prevent as best as we can upon entry of the park one of our guests being offended by something someone else is wearing."

In an interview with an NBC affiliate Odom said, "I was curious what he found offensive about the shirt. If it was the fact that it had the word gay on it or that it was in conjunction with the word marriage." Odom sent a letter to Dollywood on the 19th to file her complaint.

"I do not feel that your company has the right to restrict the freedom of speech of its patrons," she wrote in her letter. "My shirt was a political statement of equality."

The Return Volley: We spoke to Pete Owens yesterday. "Dozens of times a month, we ask patrons to turn their shirt inside out," he said. "The park tries to provide an environment that is away or removed from everything else in the world--where people can just enjoy themselves."

Owens also added, "Our park is open everyday to everybody. It's open to every and all kinds of families enjoying their day." He added that though he hasn't met with Odom and Tipton yet, he plans to do so.

Odom responded to Owens's comments in an conversation with The Atlantic Wire today. "I don't know how it's possible to go anywhere without seeing something political," she said. "If someone that wore a shirt that protested the repeal of DOMA, I don't think they'd be asked to turn their shirt inside out." Odom said that, though she didn't see this herself, her wife saw patrons wearing t-shirts with Confederate flags.

Odom pointed out that the park's namesake creates an image problem. "It was my impression that Dolly Parton and therefore Dollywood would support marriage equality," she said. "I know she's only a part-owner, but she's why people come." Dollywood's website cites that Parton is a co-owner of the park. Earlier this month, Parton said she supported marriage equality in an interview with the Toronto Sun. In the same interview, she questioned Christian intolerance of marriage equality.

As of this morning, Odom said she has yet to be contacted by Owens or Dollywood staff.

What They Say They're Fighting About: Dollywood's "restrict[ing] the freedom of speech of its patrons," as written in Odom's letter. Owens confirms that the park and front gate attendants have to make decisions on what is offensive and that it's Dollywood's goal to try and leave politics at the door, thus creating a more enjoyable environment.

What They're Really Fighting About: If gay rights are offensive. Odom doesn't think so. She argues that the neutrality policy at Dollywood is broken if she can't wear a shirt promoting equality. The staff and employee who asked her to change her shirt think differently.

Who's Winning Now: It's tricky, but probably Odom. Granted, the rule that Odom objects to makes it so that she doesn't have to see homophobic shirts at an amusement park. But by deeming Odom's marriage equality shirt offensive, Dollywood has implicitly put itself on one side of the gay rights debate. What complicates this scenario is that main attraction of the park, Dolly Parton, has gone on the record supporting marriage equality and gay rights. Now the park faces an image and damage-control problem. It should be noted that Dollywood has had its share of gay rights controversy in the past as well. In 2004, the park asked a gay and lesbian group to rename a "Gay Day" event and faced protests and threats by the Ku Klux Klan as the event drew closer.

Source: http://www.theatlanticwire.com/natio...rt-spat/40303/
Maya Angelou
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 10:33 PM   #53
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation
Default Dolly apologizes!

From CNN:

http://marquee.blogs.cnn.com/2011/08...hirt-incident/

Quote:
After a woman was asked to turn a T-shirt reading "Marriage is so gay" inside out while attempting to visit Dollywood's Splash Country in early July, Dolly Parton has issued a personal apology for the incident.

The woman, who according to the Atlantic was attending the park along with her wife and the children of a friend, was asked by the host at Dollywood's Splash Country to turn her shirt inside out at the park's entrance.

According to Dollywood's Splash Country press rep Pete Owens, the park has "a pretty strict dress code," and the host of the park is charged with deciding whether or not a guest's clothing is appropriate. In this case, the request to turn the "Marriage is so gay" T-shirt inside out was made "in the spirit of the dress code," Owens said.

The woman complied with the request, and no one was barred entry. However, Owens told CNN that the park was contacted by the customer on July 19 via email, which said that the couple didn't believe having to turn the t-shirt inside out was right.

Owens said an offer was made to arrange a meeting to discuss what happened, but that fell through. By August 1, Owens offered to refund the couple's admission to the park. That gesture was followed up by a personal apology from Parton herself.

"I am truly sorry for any hurt or embarrassment regarding the gay and lesbian T-shirt incident at Dollywood's Splash Country recently," she says in the statement. "Everyone knows of my personal support of the gay and lesbian community. Dollywood is a family park and all families are welcome. We do have a policy about profanity or controversial messages on clothing or signs. It is to protect the individual wearing or carrying them, as well as to keep down fights or problems by those opposed to it at the park. We even offer free shirts in exchange to those who want to remain on the park."

She continues, "I am and was on tour when this was brought to my attention and I am looking further into the incident and hope and believe it was more policy than insensitivity. I am very sorry it happened at all."

Press officer Owens said he gave Parton's statement to the couple involved and apologized if they were hurt, or uneasy, or embarrassed in any way.
Click the link for video. Yay Dolly!
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 03:26 PM   #54
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Good.

I really thought she would...eventually. She has spoken out to support our LGBT community and it makes me very proud and very happy.

WAY TO GO DOLLY!!!!!!!!! Now, get to work and make sure that supporting our community on gay marriage etc, is off the list of shirts that proclaim "profanity or controversial messages on clothing or signs".

I love happy endings!!!!!
Maya Angelou
The Following User Says Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post: