Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 05-29-2012, 02:50 PM   #1
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,724 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation
Default Lounge for Deaf people and their allies

While I'm hearing, I work at a school for the Deaf and love Deaf culture and sign language. This thread is a hang out space for BFP members who are Deaf, hard of hearing, CODA, ASL interpreters, or otherwise interested in various aspects of Deaf culture. Casual/socializing and serious discussion are both welcome here. When you first post on the thread, please let us know what brings you to it and anything else you want to say!
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-29-2012, 03:18 PM   #2
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,769 Times in 983 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Wouldn't mind learning how to sign.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:31 PM   #3
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Viola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST Reputation
Default i hear now, but was deaf/hardhearing many years back

I'm hearing, however had many years either deaf or hard of hearing.

I wrote a lot and then deleted it.

I think in ABA which gets me in trouble., ABA is where dominate does the A then follows the reaction of submissive doing B that will then echo A

However I do so through this language, and I forget there's communication.

I'm seeking to break this ABA notion and learn how to communicate.

Anybody here relate with this.

Anybody here had their hearing restored? and find challenge?

hearing restore through tubes; that's all., no biggy, many had this done., so perhaps I sound I exaduate then.

but really I'm not exaduating.

I was deaf/heard of hearing for many years, due to neglect as I wasn't allow to see docs.

something to do with grandparents from germany, uh?

grandparents were afraid of losing me if docs find out about me; uh?

grandparents beliefs did me harm.

anybody relate in any way?
Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Viola For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #4
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Wow,im glad to see this subject posted.I'm hearing chalenged,some peole call it impared..well no, im not impared just cant hear,impared sounds like im broken wich I am not.Being hearing chalenged can be both a pain in the ass as well as a blessing.I barely do asl but read lips like a wild child,I have hearing aids(gathering dust in a box) I use them when I need to but the normal hearing range im suposed to use drives me nuts over time with the constant chatter of life,last night I didnt hear the water runing that I forgot to totaly turn off and flooded the bathroom floor..so glad its tile(not the first time).Onething that bugs me is normal hearing people or people who want to be rude is thy think for me to realise they are talking to me is toeither get up in my face or touch me to make shure I get it...some will down right be rude about it.I told someone once I had a hearing issue,I was a long way from dead so becareful what you say.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 03:32 PM   #5
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Hi, Electrocell,

Just wanted to share a great site:

http://www.lifeprint.com/

Learning the alphabet by heart and ideally numbers 1-25 helps a lot to start out with! So many signs are made using variations of the alphabet that practicing it until you can do it really fast is very helpful!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocell View Post
Wouldn't mind learning how to sign.
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 03:39 PM   #6
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
Hi, Electrocell,

Just wanted to share a great site:

http://www.lifeprint.com/

Learning the alphabet by heart and ideally numbers 1-25 helps a lot to start out with! So many signs are made using variations of the alphabet that practicing it until you can do it really fast is very helpful!
Thanks appreciate it. Had a cousin who taught the deaf as well a friend in St Louis.
Old 05-29-2012, 03:40 PM   #7
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
I'm hearing, however had many years either deaf or hard of hearing.

I wrote a lot and then deleted it.

I think in ABA which gets me in trouble., ABA is where dominate does the A then follows the reaction of submissive doing B that will then echo A

However I do so through this language, and I forget there's communication.

I'm seeking to break this ABA notion and learn how to communicate.

Anybody here relate with this.

Anybody here had their hearing restored? and find challenge?

hearing restore through tubes; that's all., no biggy, many had this done., so perhaps I sound I exaduate then.

but really I'm not exaduating.

I was deaf/heard of hearing for many years, due to neglect as I wasn't allow to see docs.

something to do with grandparents from germany, uh?

grandparents were afraid of losing me if docs find out about me; uh?

grandparents beliefs did me harm.

anybody relate in any way?
What is ABA?
Old 05-29-2012, 03:45 PM   #8
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

i am not deaf but i learned how to fingerspell when i was 12. i always wanted to work with non-hearing folks. i taught myself some sign in the last year but i would love to take a course at the college!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 03:49 PM   #9
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

I want to add to anyone unfamiliar with Deaf culture that ASL is NOT a written language AND uses completely different grammar. E.G. "I'll get my book" is signed "Book get I." There's a terrible stereotype that because some Deaf people's written English is not fluent that they are not as intelligent. That couldn't be further from the truth.
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 03:57 PM   #10
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by Electrocell View Post
What is ABA?
We use ABA teaching consultants at times at our school.

Here's a link:

http://rsaffran.tripod.com/whatisaba.html
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 04:34 PM   #11
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfembbw View Post
We use ABA teaching consultants at times at our school.

Here's a link:

http://rsaffran.tripod.com/whatisaba.html
OK thanks.
Old 05-29-2012, 04:43 PM   #12
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

So ABA is used for people with autism--- that's good to know.
Old 05-29-2012, 05:33 PM   #13
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

Deaf.

I have aids. If you look at me, we will get along. Obviously, use grammar and enunciate. Raise your voice at me like I'm stupid, we won't get along.

I sign fluently. I use ASL and SEE.

I speak. Oh yeah, I was born and raised in Texas. I ain't never been to Britain. It's the Texas mixed with the "deaf accent" as I call it. I keep getting asked.

NYC has volunteered herself to rescue me at the reunion if needed.

Not quite sure I told her that yet.... Teasing

I speak grudgingly. If I panic, I forget my words and sign. I can't say anything unless I've seen it in sign in my head.

Last thing, ya'll got to learn to give guys like me a second to process. I mean ya'll like entire world. Just because I heard your voice don't quite mean I know what you said... Yet.

DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 13 Users Say Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 05:50 PM   #14
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
Deaf.

I have aids. If you look at me, we will get along. Obviously, use grammar and enunciate. Raise your voice at me like I'm stupid, we won't get along.

I sign fluently. I use ASL and SEE.

I speak. Oh yeah, I was born and raised in Texas. I ain't never been to Britain. It's the Texas mixed with the "deaf accent" as I call it. I keep getting asked.

NYC has volunteered herself to rescue me at the reunion if needed.

Not quite sure I told her that yet.... Teasing

I speak grudgingly. If I panic, I forget my words and sign. I can't say anything unless I've seen it in sign in my head.

Last thing, ya'll got to learn to give guys like me a second to process. I mean ya'll like entire world. Just because I heard your voice don't quite mean I know what you said... Yet.

You are so right on this statement,process takes a fue minits sometimes.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 06:04 PM   #15
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Being deaf I often miss things in a conversation,last night some friends at the pool hall were jokeing around about something wich totaly flew over my head with all the noise and such.Lots of times I feel like a dork when this happends cause I wonder what the non deaf people are thinking im stupid or something.
My pool team and I have worked out a way to get my attention when the team captain thinks I need a coaching or word of advise on something I didnt see or notice,but as long as I have played on this team I still dont get into long conversations with anyone mostly because in reality pool is all we have thats in common.The daily drama of theire lives is not anything I care to be a part of.Then there is the left out feeling when I dont blend in well in groups that feel like dealing with a deaf person is a bother,and they do even if they say it dosent.Then there is all the speach therapy I have had to speak as clear as I do,its a lot of work to be clear cause I get tired and fall back into less clear speach or drop words.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 06:06 PM   #16
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cajun_dee View Post
i am not deaf but i learned how to fingerspell when i was 12. i always wanted to work with non-hearing folks. i taught myself some sign in the last year but i would love to take a course at the college!
Check with the deaf action center to see if they offer clases or the comunity college (if you have one) sometimes the class's are free.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 06:36 PM   #17
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

Speech therapy...

I can only remember one speech therapist I liked.

I saw her a few years ago.

I had 9+ years of it.

I think the most valuable lesson for me in the class was to learn to hear by vibration.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 06:40 PM   #18
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

I am a certified interpreter in San Diego! Yay! I love meeting deaf/hoh/interpreters/allies as well! Hugs!

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 06:42 PM   #19
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by starryeyes View Post
I am a certified interpreter in San Diego! Yay! I love meeting deaf/hoh/interpreters/allies as well! Hugs!
I really can't count the number of interpreters I've had.

But...

As I've gotten older, I've realized something I forgot to tell most of my interpreters...

Thanks.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 05-29-2012, 06:44 PM   #20
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,010 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I also deal with hearing challenges. While I may hear sounds, I have a difficult time understanding what someone is actually saying; especially if the person has a deeper voice. I hear high tones fine, but lower, deeper tones either I don't hear at all or cannot make out words. I am notorious for asking people to repeat themselves, sometimes to where after I have asked them to repeat themselves numerous times down to one word not being understood, and then I end up repeating what I understood and then I request them to spell the word I am just not getting. People have been really good about it and if I see them get frustrated, I will then disclose my hearing impairment. It is very frustrating because even in the movie theater I lose a lot of what is being said. I think this is why I prefer action movies to dramas as action movies usually don't have a lot of talking.

I too have done the smile and nod and not understood a word someone has said. I watch lips and am very keen on watching body language to help me.

I have tried a hearing aid, but all it did was amplify background noise and holy crap.... forget when a siren goes off... I couldn't get the volume down fast enough.

I try my best to work with it everyday, and some days are okay, but then there are days where I just get tired... tired of feeling like I am missing out on some things. (which i am in a sense)

So hi to everyone.. And thanks nycfembbw for starting this thread.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post: