Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > Finding Your People - Special Groups

Finding Your People - Special Groups Are you a member of AA? Neurodiverse? a Vegan? Find your people here!

Old 06-01-2012, 07:05 PM   #41
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Viola View Post
Hi always2late

Have you ever subscribe to YouTube channels where deaf people sign making videos vlog however signing?

I'm glad you're able to manage getting into a sign la., class this fall semester...

Hey what about this idea: what if you can do video vlogs at YouTube what its like learning signing, and majoring in speech pathology, that would be so cool if you do this, cause I vision you helping others as well as meeting others as well, that could would help you too...

I really like YouTube for this as I learn so much...

What are your thoughts about this?
Thank you for the info about you tube! I think making vlogs sounds like a really cool idea! There is also a Speech Language Pathology club at my college...perhaps I can present the idea to them as well.

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 06-01-2012, 09:30 PM   #42
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,769 Times in 983 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

Viola sounds to me that woman needs to get the kids under control.
Old 06-02-2012, 12:49 AM   #43
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Viola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST Reputation
Default the fly

http://youtu.be/9gTQ4mEDuC4

lets see if the video shows....

Last edited by Viola; 06-02-2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: seeing if the video will show
Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Viola For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2012, 01:28 AM   #44
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Viola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST Reputation
Default CODA BROTHERS: ASL LESSON 1

http://youtu.be/d4rEiDg_azI hopeing video will show here and no need to click on it...

http://youtu.be/d4rEiDg_azI

CODA BROTHERS: ASL LESSON 1
Old 06-02-2012, 01:45 AM   #45
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Default Have you heard of Cued Speech

I wish the video will show here, and no need to click on it...

http://youtu.be/6B18_G_8JHs

Have you heard of Cued Speech
Old 06-02-2012, 01:55 AM   #46
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Default aishah - simular or not knowing anyone while, what are your thoughts

Hi aishah

I've find youtube really helpful. Able to meet others...

When I was hard of hearing I was the only one in my family who was., I think in a way this delay what I need when I gain hearing, as I felt no one knew or any guide for me in a way. I had to figure it out on my own in a way.

do you ever find this where anyone with challenges if not around others with simular challenges then are delay in growth, due to not having a mentor or guide who's been there...

Did your dad know of others who were hard of hearing when being hard of hearing, when you were growing up? I really didn't know any hard of hearing or deaf, when I was hard of hearing...

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
my dad was hard of hearing and many of my friends are deaf or hoh. i also get to spend a lot of time around deaf & hoh folks through my cross-disability work i would like to learn to be a better ally, and i want to learn asl. i've gotten better about asking people what works best for them and making sure to look directly at people when speaking so they can read my lips, etc. but i still feel like i have a lot of learning to do to be a good ally to folks with different disabilities than my own.

it has been a blessing (and a wonderful learning experience) to read everyone's posts about your experiences. thank you
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Viola For This Useful Post:
Old 06-02-2012, 05:33 AM   #47
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hi aishah

When I was hard of hearing I was the only one in my family who was., I think in a way this delay what I need when I gain hearing, as I felt no one knew or any guide for me in a way. I had to figure it out on my own in a way.

do you ever find this where anyone with challenges if not around others with simular challenges then are delay in growth, due to not having a mentor or guide who's been there...

Did your dad know of others who were hard of hearing when being hard of hearing, when you were growing up? I really didn't know any hard of hearing or deaf, when I was hard of hearing...
I know this was addressed to aishah, but I’ve thought a lot about this topic. I was raised in a hard of hearing (hoh) family- we openly acknowledged we were hoh to one another, but looking back, it seems most of the mentoring I got went in to how to pass as hearing, and not into utilizing available resources. There were no trips to the audiologist, no ASL classes, no hearing aids… but there was a year of speech therapy in 5th grade to get rid of the deaf accent I was developing (not that anyone called it that- it took me years to realize why I was sent!).

Deaf people may seek out other Deaf people, but the hoh don’t usually seek out the hoh. Being in that grey area between fully hearing and deaf creates its own isolation, I think- there’s a pull to choose a side, and in my family’s case, they chose to present as fully hearing. Heck, even the language that describes my hearing indicates how uncomfortable the in-between place is: hard of hearing, hearing impaired, hearing challenged… or if you want to go back 600 years, Chaucer described the Wife of Bath as “somdeel deef” (somewhat deaf). All are clunky comparative phrases, while the deaf and the hearing get their own stand-alone words. (My own preference is for the phrase hard of hearing, which sounds far less clinical than hearing-impaired, and besides, Shakespeare used it ☺ )

I wrote an essay about growing up hoh, and how I live in this poorly named (both literally and figuratively) grey space between hearing and deafness. The essay is called “Hardly Heard”, and is in a recently published anthology called Deaf American Prose (Gallaudet Deaf Literature Series, Vol. 1). I’ve mentioned this on another thread, and at the risk of being redundant (or self-promoting), it really is a good anthology.
Old 06-02-2012, 11:37 AM   #48
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 7,762 Times in 1,881 Posts
DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

I grew up in a hearing family.

When I was little, I *was* HOH.

As I've gotten older, that's not so.

My family is hearing. I am not.

But..according to them, I should be able to do EVERYTHING they can.

It's just not possible. Not for lack of trying. I just can't do it.
DamonK is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 01:51 PM   #49
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Default CODA BROTHERS: Handy Helmut!

Hopefully this video will show as I read in the question how to do this...

So lets see if this works...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=vEsldv_Tm4Q&feature=relmfu"]CODA BROTHERS: Handy Helmut! - YouTube[/nomedia]

well will it... I mean where one can see it here and not need to click on it...

Anyways, I hope you all a great day...
Old 06-04-2012, 01:53 PM   #50
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Default I wish I knew how to get the video to show

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="http://www.youtube.com/embed/vEsldv_Tm4Q" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>
Old 06-04-2012, 02:41 PM   #51
WolfyOne
Magically Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Gentle Butch
Relationship Status:
Single and content

Thanked 15,407 Times in 4,139 Posts
WolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST ReputationWolfyOne Has the BEST Reputation
Default For Viola because she couldn't

Being deeply loved by someone gives you strength; loving someone deeply gives you courage --- Lao Tzo
WolfyOne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WolfyOne For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 03:12 PM   #52
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

One of the biggest problems I face is vertago and ringing in my ears.At times the noise in my ears is anything from a bird chirp or squeek to a blasting fog horn..bird chirps drive me nuts after a while so you can bet the radio is on loud to drown it out,when the fog horn type noise happends it can be really painful.There is the veratgo thats can be just a slight dizzy floating to down right drunken falling down with neasua,I take antivert for it so most of the time it dose ok.How I rode horses plus did the things i've done over the years is a wonder to plane old stuborness.Not to say I did fall of a lot of times cause I did,but over time I got better at not falling off.I find the more active I am the better it is so I still do a lot of active things,once the doc said I had calcium deposits floating in my ear that causes this..whatever I wish it would go away when it hits.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 03:33 PM   #53
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Hi Rockinonahigh, it went through before I finish writing, um, I think I spent to long on this message and anyways it went through before I finish.

That must of been so frustrating the water is left on and flooding the bathroom floor... any ideas you will try to remind yourself about turning of water;

yeah that does sound better that word challenge instead of impaired, I think I'll begin using that word too., I'm going to use the word language challenged.

I have the challenge of keeping up what I am hearing, I feel as if I'm dyslexic in a way, I hear the words but its to fast for me,

But I hear ever word though. But its a challenge.

So do you as you say, about chatter of life, what does that feel like about to chose not to wear hearing aid and have that power of silence, do you ever wonder how the hearing goes through always hearing; how they manage?

I feel like I slip into an unknown in away. I hear to well, way to well, I went from hard of hearing to hearing extremely well, yet I really don't have anything to compare to., docs says the bones in my ears are all wrong, so then what I do hear, even though I'm hearing is it the same way as others hear.

I don't know cause I'm not in their bodies to compare to...

I also have Meniere's disease in both ears, so then balance issues.

http://www.mayoclinic.com/health/men...isease/DS00535

One time: I thought I was walking where I won't bump into., but no I walk right at the black man, "oh I'm sorry..." I say, as I wonder oh no what had I done, how off am I today, thinking I'm walking ok, how does that do that, my inner ears, had I had to much salt today, I feel high in away, like drunk...

I hadn't had any liquor, but sometimes I get high when having to much salt, but to walk into this strange black man, as he's holding hands with a white woman.,

true scene: how do I explain quickly my fault, I'm drain, my energy is no longer, my emotions drain; I'm a bad person,

they think of me as bad, what else will I do wrong today; focus more when walking,

oh no how off am I... will I make it through this grocery store, I should had grab a Cart, but no I walk freely,

God help me, I'm a nice person,

I said, "sorry to them..."

as they look at me really strange, like am I pshycho...

I have challenges of many kind, I'm always saying, "I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry, I'm sorry..."

I get drain, I dont' want to see humans... I want to be alone...

Then there's online, I'm free, I can type...

but who is this person who's typing... I'm I over doing this?

I'm learning and maybe to summerize this: is awareness,

that's what I got from your message, the challenges of awareness, either from ourselves or from others,

the audio language fails us in awareness, the communication isn't there, the understanding isn't there,

audio world and ballance even the inner ear, the middle ear, the people with normal ears, awareness, is so challenging following the emotions;

I'm rambling can you tell I am in a way., just letting my thoughts flow...

I like the word chalenged better,I am not broken so impared dosent apply imhop,unfortunatly most of the world puts the impared word on anything that they dont feel is normal.You arent normal I was told onece,my reply was whats normal please define normal?? Everyone dose things diffrently to cope with life and get thrue the day so being there is no set way to live life there is no such thing as normal.
Haveing the power to silence the chatter of life is god send to me,I have no clue how I would live with such noise on a 24 hour basics.Even when I turn off mey hearing aide I hear more than I want to cause being there is a hoh person near by people feel they need to ramp up the nose for some reason.Oftern I use an old trick I learned ages ago..I simply focus them totaly out of my mind buy hearing the sounds that I like in my mind..if that makes any scence..confuseing I know but it works for me.
I was ask if I caould have total clear hearing would I take it,my reply was no.Why,well over the years I have ajusted to life the way I am,so even tho I do miss some things I would like to have I see more of life that hearing people ever do because I go thrue like looking at it in a diffrent way so am more aware of what comes in to my world..I can make it good or walk away.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 06:55 PM   #54
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

DamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST ReputationDamonK Has the BEST Reputation

So..

What about cochlear implants?

Anyone got 'em? Opinions?
The Following User Says Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 07:07 PM   #55
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
So..

What about cochlear implants?

Anyone got 'em? Opinions?

Hi DamonK.My audiologist has this recording of what it would be like to hear from an implant,it sounds like an old radio to me,I know folks who have them that say to them its more clear than that and they were glad to have them put in.Also I was told haveing an implant put in will destroy what ever hearing you do have..so its a trade off of keeping what you have in hearing or going another rout.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 07:21 PM   #56
DamonK

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Yes.

Generally if not done within a certain timeframe, it is not as successful. Some see it as a viable option. I don't.
The Following User Says Thank You to DamonK For This Useful Post:
Old 06-04-2012, 09:16 PM   #57
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by DamonK View Post
Yes.

Generally if not done within a certain timeframe, it is not as successful. Some see it as a viable option. I don't.
Nor did I.
The Following User Says Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 06-05-2012, 04:18 PM   #58
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Default I can relate with you Rockinonahigh

Hello Rockinonahigh,

Me too., vertigo and ringing in my ears., high pitch ringing, however if ever low pitch I need to be careful as soon I'll pass out.

However I've learn how not to pass out if low ringing happens;

do you ever crave to rock when lying down, I crave to rock when lying down.

I've had this yes, dizzy floating and feel like drunk with neasua...

I'm not sure if this is relation with ears, but I can't tell my rights side of body to left... I can't tell what is my right hand or left hand...

I use touch to tell me what is right and what is left.

Example I touch from index finger down to the thumb to understand that's my left hand. And I make a "R" letter (sign la) with my right hand to know that's my right hand.

Do you go through this, can't tell your right from your left?

I've ridden horses too in my younger years:

I've learn to live with floating -- I think what it is, if I can describe it feels like no compass in my body. When the nausea and or low ringing happens I know I'll pass out soon and I know I need to remain very still and if possible even lower my head where I'm upside down like...

Now not sure how much this has to relate with ears, but having blood flow to my head helps in this situation...

You see I have a lot to learn yet, but thinking of it, how the ears are, isn't just reaction of audio but also of air pressures, oh this reminds me, every time I swallow my ears pop...

Does your ears do this every time you swallow your ears pop?

Some things I'm so use to that I don't pay attention;

I can so much relate with you I really can...

I can go on I really can - sharing how my ears has made it a very challenging to be here on earth, making earth very uncomfortable and a challenge.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rockinonahigh View Post
One of the biggest problems I face is vertago and ringing in my ears.At times the noise in my ears is anything from a bird chirp or squeek to a blasting fog horn..bird chirps drive me nuts after a while so you can bet the radio is on loud to drown it out,when the fog horn type noise happends it can be really painful.There is the veratgo thats can be just a slight dizzy floating to down right drunken falling down with neasua,I take antivert for it so most of the time it dose ok.How I rode horses plus did the things i've done over the years is a wonder to plane old stuborness.Not to say I did fall of a lot of times cause I did,but over time I got better at not falling off.I find the more active I am the better it is so I still do a lot of active things,once the doc said I had calcium deposits floating in my ear that causes this..whatever I wish it would go away when it hits.

Last edited by Viola; 06-05-2012 at 04:20 PM. Reason: add word sign la when I make "R" letter
Old 06-05-2012, 04:23 PM   #59
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Default WofyOne you can do your so amazing yes

Wow your amazing: Amazing how you did this. like magic, I'll so know how... yes, I will learn how, how did you do this?...

Cause so much I want to share through video yes...

Quote:
Originally Posted by WolfyOne View Post
Old 06-05-2012, 05:17 PM   #60
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Default Sign Language Basics : Sign Language: Numbers 1-20

Wolfyone how do you do this, i'm trying so many ways, how do you do it; please give me instructions please...

I don't know how to do this, I've tried about 15 different ways, how do you do it

Quote:
youtube/XVqzAg4QEdY
http://youtu.be/XVqzAg4QEdY

<iframe width="420" height="315" src="https://www.youtube.com/embed/XVqzAg4QEdY?rel=0" frameborder="0" allowfullscreen></iframe>

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqzAg4QEdY"]Sign Language Basics : Sign Language: Numbers 1-20 - YouTube[/nomedia]

[YOUTUBE]XVqzAg4QEdY[YOUTUBE]

http://youtu.be/XVqzAg4QEdY

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqzAg4QEdY"]Sign Language Basics : Sign Language: Numbers 1-20 - YouTube[/nomedia]

hope this will work, I try many times here, different ways...

hope one can watch video here with out needing to leave website...

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqzAg4QEdY&feature=relmfu"]Sign Language Basics : Sign Language: Numbers 1-20 - YouTube[/nomedia]

[nomedia]http://http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqzAg4QEdY&feature=relmfu[/nomedia]

[nomedia="www.youtube.com/watch?v=XVqzAg4QEdY"]Sign Language Basics : Sign Language: Numbers 1-20 - YouTube[/nomedia]

Quote:
[YOUTUBE]v=XVqzAg4QEdY[YOUTUBE]

Last edited by Viola; 06-05-2012 at 05:18 PM. Reason: how do you do this wolfyone