Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I didn't read the article till after I read all your comments, which were fun to read.

So I reacted differently. She didn't seem so bad. Sort of a typical creative marketing type. There's some there there, and the rest is her responding to the whatever part of society she takes the pulse of.

The ad is unethical if it does promote body dysmorphia. It makes sense that it would. Wouldn't that cause people to run to a gym? And the sex scene is something that would appeal to a lot of young women and gay men, I imagine, in the 50 Shades of Gray soft-core sense. I haven't seen it, but I "get" it. People want to not feel bad about their bodies, and a lot of them want a hot boy to pin them to the ground. AND they think of themselves as smart and bookish or whatever. Not deep. Contrived even though I bet it works.

That she thinks she is succeeding on her own terms is sort of silly. But that would be true of thousands of creative types selling themselves to corporations.

Doesn't she seem like a character in a lesbian romance novel?

Thank you for posting this.

I suspect there are a number of different criteria we use when we are evaluating something and what we choose to focus on, at any different time, varies.

For example, I could wonder why the author of this article choose to present Ms. Kosoy in the manner in which she did. After all, what the author chooses to focus on, slants the gist of what I am seeing.

The author choose to focus on certain things about her manner of dress, her demeanor, her lifestyle, and not as much on her job or philosophy behind it in anything but was, to me, a superficial way.

So what was the point of the article? Was it about Ms. Kosoy being a different breed of executive because she is a butch woman with an unapologetic edge? Was it about her as a persona or her as a businesswoman? Was it about the business and its success?

Its pretty clear that companies need to find and present an image, even in their personnel, that will sell a product. Sex sells. Image sells. Selling sex and images sells. I dont find anything out of the ordinary in what Ms. Kosoy is doing within the context of being a businesswoman doing her job using what has proven to work.

As I had been dealing with some very visible, to me, examples of sexism within our community lately, that was the part I choose to focus on.

I was surprised there wasnt more of a different reaction. The reason I say this is that in a lot of ways, Ms Kosoy was presented in such a way that I could actually feel her swagger. Her look, her demeanor is something many in our community find sexually attractive/appealing and what fantasies are made from.

Take the ad image they presented of a young blonde in a schoolgirl uniform
(shirt, tie, knee socks, yes; skirt, no) pinned under a muscular young man in nothing but boxers, glasses and leather loafers. Personally, I always object to sexualized schoolgirl images because of the sex with underaged connotations.

But, if the ad replaced the muscular young man with a muscular butch, transman, transgendered person in nothing but boxers, glasses, and leather loafers pinning someone to the ground would it feel different? Can one envision fantasies of a woman enjoying be pinned by a hot hunk whether they be hetero or queer?

I bring this up cuz sexism and feminism is not always clear cut or easy to navigate. What might be obvious and accepted on a macro scale is not quite as obvious and accepted on a micro scale.

By that I mean, many people can relate to violence against women whether it be rape or other forms of domestic violence. Many can relate to sexual harrassment, job discrimination, glass ceilings, wage discrimination, the poverty of single mothers etc.

Yet, on a micro scale, especially when hormones, mating rituals, and sexual prolicivities are involved, things get murky. What might appear as sexist or oppressive to one may be the stuff that makes fantasies and adventures for another. Context and attitude can make it a little easier but even that can be debated.

Sometimes I wonder if this murkiness is a deliberate design of the theoretical patriarchial construct or an unintended but very useful consequence.

Sometimes, I wish I could just shut my brain off for a little while.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 03:08 PM   #22
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Martina View Post
I didn't read the article till after I read all your comments, which were fun to read.

So I reacted differently. She didn't seem so bad. Sort of a typical creative marketing type. There's some there there, and the rest is her responding to the whatever part of society she takes the pulse of.

The ad is unethical if it does promote body dysmorphia. It makes sense that it would. Wouldn't that cause people to run to a gym? And the sex scene is something that would appeal to a lot of young women and gay men, I imagine, in the 50 Shades of Gray soft-core sense. I haven't seen it, but I "get" it. People want to not feel bad about their bodies, and a lot of them want a hot boy to pin them to the ground. AND they think of themselves as smart and bookish or whatever. Not deep. Contrived even though I bet it works.

That she thinks she is succeeding on her own terms is sort of silly. But that would be true of thousands of creative types selling themselves to corporations.

Doesn't she seem like a character in a lesbian romance novel?
>This is how it struck me, also.
I didn't feel offended, personally. She just comes across as trying way too hard and seems quite transparent because of that.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Talon For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2012, 03:19 PM   #23
Daktari

Yer judging a person on the strength of a 'news'paper article?
Old 10-02-2012, 03:33 PM   #24
Talon

How Do You Identify?:
Divine Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 10,230 Times in 3,305 Posts
Talon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST ReputationTalon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
Yer judging a person on the strength of a 'news'paper article?

*chuckle*

Touche..Daktari.
Talon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2012, 03:37 PM   #25
Daktari

uh oh doubling up.
Old 10-02-2012, 03:38 PM   #26
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talon View Post
*chuckle*

Touche..Daktari.
It's a hard job, but someone's gotta do it!

The Following User Says Thank You to For This Useful Post: