Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The truth matters : a citizen's guide to separating facts from lies and stopping fake news in its tracks / Bruce Bartlett.

Introduction -- Why the traditional media no longer serves our needs -- The difference between primary and secondary sources -- How to use links -- Confusing press conventions -- Journalistic techniques that may obfuscate rather than illuminate sources -- Trusting academic sources -- What your local library has to offer in terms of news -- Numbers must be put into context -- Beware of deceptive labeling -- The perils of polling -- Using Wikipedia -- The problem of fake news -- Designing your own newspaper -- Editorial opinions -- How to fight fake news.

Looks interesting. The book is small both in size (will fit in your pocket) and pages (130+). Hoping it is to the point without much filler.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-08-2018, 05:04 PM   #3002
Signmypapyrus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Signmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST Reputation

The Brain’s Body by Victoria Pitts-Taylor from Duke
Old 03-08-2018, 10:41 PM   #3003
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I finished "Big Magic" and am on to "Dharma in Hell: The Prison Writings of Fleet Maull" and "The Girl With Seven Names: Escape from North Korea"

And yes, I have a third book going (fiction) that I am super-enjoying (the twins book I posted about a week or so ago)
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 03-09-2018, 08:09 AM   #3004
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

Q's Legacy by Helene Hanff, who wrote 84, Charing Cross Road.
Old 03-10-2018, 12:15 PM   #3005
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

I am almost finished with MY ABSOLUTE DARLING by Gabriel Tallent and it is really intense. Every trigger warning possible applies but the quality is high.

Here is npr’s review https://www.npr.org/2017/08/29/54577...er-to-put-down
Old 03-11-2018, 10:11 PM   #3006
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

After rereading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (in preparation for seeing the movie), I realized it wasn’t as clunky as I remembered.. plus, all the eighties references made my middle-aged heart sing. So I started his next one, Armada. Same basic blueprint (video game geek saves the world), with just as many eighties references. Fun read, even if the details are already disappearing from my memory.

I’m ready for another fast and fun YA read. Any suggestions?
Old 03-13-2018, 04:58 AM   #3007
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by The JD View Post
After rereading Ready Player One by Ernest Cline (in preparation for seeing the movie), I realized it wasn’t as clunky as I remembered.. plus, all the eighties references made my middle-aged heart sing. So I started his next one, Armada. Same basic blueprint (video game geek saves the world), with just as many eighties references. Fun read, even if the details are already disappearing from my memory.

I’m ready for another fast and fun YA read. Any suggestions?
LITTLE BROTHER, by Cory Doctorow. Not as fast as READY PLAYER ONE but really fun and eye-opening and the author gave one of the only useful keynotes i have ever heard at a library conference. I immediately forgave him for sitting in the empty chair between me and Lois Lowry at the previous conference
Old 03-13-2018, 05:01 AM   #3008
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

Yesterday i reviewed some medievalist lit crit comparing middle ages chivalry with Game of Thrones chivalry, appropriately titled CHIVALRY IN WESTEROS. Recommended for all students of the period and fans of the show!
Old 03-13-2018, 06:30 PM   #3009
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default H

"H Is for Hawk"
by Helen MacDonald

"H Is for Hawk is a work of great spirit and wonder, illuminated
equally by terror and desire. Each beautiful sentence is capable of
taking a reader's breath. The book is built of feather and bone, intelligence
and blood, and a vulnerability so profound as to conjure that
vulnerability's shadow, which is the great power of honesty. It
is not just a definitive work on falconry; it is a definitive work
on humanity, and all that can and cannot
be possessed." - Rick Bass

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2018, 08:56 PM   #3010
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

The Devil in the White City by Erik Larson

I am finally getting around to reading two books that were sent to me by a very good friend..........

It's been interesting reading about a time period in Chicago's past that I was unfamiliar with. I am not usually a history buff but I must say this book is holding my attention and I'm enjoying.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 03-16-2018, 01:59 PM   #3011
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,985 Times in 9,937 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Our Souls At Night
(Kent Haruf, 2015).

A good friend to me recommended seeing the movie, which is adapted from the book, last summer and they just sent the book to me. I thoroughly enjoyed the movie, so now I'm going to read this book.

Here's an link to am NY Times book review from last June:
https://mobile.nytimes.com/2015/06/0...ww.google.com/

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2018, 06:28 AM   #3012
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Strange Justice: The Selling of Clarence Thomas.

This book really sheds light on things that were done to not only dis-credit Anita Hill, but others who came to her defense as well!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:21 AM   #3013
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Sweet Bitter by Stephanie Danler

I ran across this at a used bookstore, and seeing how I'd always wanted to read it picked it up for a mere buck! I'm only on page 52 but I'm somewhat disappointed! Hopefully it'll pick up.

This is being turned into a TV Series. I'm thinking it's Starz but not positive! The previews I've seen, look WAY better than the book!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:27 AM   #3014
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
The Girl Who Wrote in Silk---Kelli Estes

A simple reading about the lives of two women 130 years apart that are connected with a secret. A light presentation of the horrific historical time of the late 1800's when the Chinese population were pushed out of the Northern West Coast of the US and Canada. The story mostly takes place in the Seattle area and Orcas Island.
This was an outstanding book and story!
Old 03-17-2018, 07:28 AM   #3015
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by cricket26 View Post

Cricket thank you so much for posting this! I've just ordered a used copy of Britt-Marie Was Here by this same author!
Old 03-18-2018, 06:25 PM   #3016
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

I just finished FLEDGLING by Octavia Butler and started THE LATHE OF HEAVEN by Ursula LeGuin and am listening to HILLBILLY ELEGY by J.D. Vance
Old 03-19-2018, 02:04 PM   #3017
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The once and future liberal : after identity politics / Mark Lilla.

American liberalism fell under the spell of identity politics, with disastrous consequences. Driven originally by a sincere desire to protect the most vulnerable Americans, the left has now unwittingly balkanized the electorate, encouraged self-absorption rather than solidarity, and invested its energies in social movements rather than in party politics. Lilla goes to show how the left's identity-focused individualism insidiously conspired with the amoral economic individualism of the Reaganite right to shape an electorate with little sense of a shared future and near-contempt for the idea of the common good. In the contest for the American imagination, liberals have abdicated.

--------

This book is fascinating from both a historical and a behavioral standpoint.

If you are curious as to why intersectionalism is problematic in both interpersonal movements and political ways, he explains it well.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 03-20-2018, 10:50 AM   #3018
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Just finished Strange Justice: The Selling of Clarence Thomas.

This really shed light on how the "good old boy" network stuck together to get him confirmed at almost any cost.

It makes me sad to think Joe Biden was a part of this and that he wasn't a stand up guy!
Old 03-20-2018, 05:03 PM   #3019
Signmypapyrus

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Signmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST ReputationSignmypapyrus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
American liberalism fell under the spell of identity politics, with disastrous consequences. Driven originally by a sincere desire to protect the most vulnerable Americans, the left has now unwittingly balkanized the electorate, encouraged self-absorption rather than solidarity, and invested its energies in social movements rather than in party politics. Lilla goes to show how the left's identity-focused individualism insidiously conspired with the amoral economic individualism of the Reaganite right to shape an electorate with little sense of a shared future and near-contempt for the idea of the common good. In the contest for the American imagination, liberals have abdicated.

--------

This book is fascinating from both a historical and a behavioral standpoint.

If you are curious as to why intersectionalism is problematic in both interpersonal movements and political ways, he explains it well.
Hm, this sounds interesting. I might look at this since this new wave has foregone the collective in favor of the individual, which is worrying.

Is it anti-intersectional or does it examine the issues this new generation is having?

I’m just reading academic stuff, but I hope to start a Coetzee novel soon.
Old 03-24-2018, 06:36 PM   #3020
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Cricket thank you so much for posting this! I've just ordered a used copy of Britt-Marie Was Here by this same author!

This was OK BUT it was no A Man Called Ove that's for damn sure!

Tags
books, reading