atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

I think the conflation of what the commentators at MSNBC and those at Fox do is not a fair one. Yes, the opinions are strong on each side, and there is a lot of snarkiness to go around. But tonight Rachel Maddow hit the nail on the head when she talked about the difference. Here is some of what she said:

Quote:
Here's the larger point, though, that's going mysteriously missing from the right-wing cackling and old media cluck-cluck-clucking: I know everyone likes to say, "Oh, cable news, it's all the same. Fox and MSNBC -- mirror images of each other. But if you look at the long history of Fox hosts not just giving money to candidates, but actively endorsing campaigns and raising millions of dollars for politicians and political parties -- whether it's Sean Hannity or Glenn Beck or Mike Huckabee -- and you'll see that we can lay that old false equivalency to rest forever. There are multiple people being paid by Fox News to essentially run for office as Republican candidates. If you count not just their hosts but their contributors, you're looking at a significant portion of the entire Republican lineup of potential contenders for 2012.

They can do that because there's no rule against that at Fox. Their network is run as a political operation. Ours isn't. Yeah, Keith's a liberal, and so am I. But we're not a political operation -- Fox is. We're a news operation. The rules around here are part of how you know that.

Back before it was politically safe to do it, Keith Olbermann attracted the ire of the right-wing and a lot of others besides when he brought to light and raged against what he saw as the errors and sins of the previous presidential administration. Keith was also the one who brought to light Fox News's water-carrying for the Bush Administration; he was the one whose point-of-view journalism exposed and put exclamation points on the problems of disguising a political operation as a news one, the model embraced by the guys across Sixth Avenue, at Fox.
You can see it all here: http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...cable-not-news
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 09:43 PM   #22
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Anyone who equates Faux to news really needs a reality check. They are as far from real journalism as it gets. Yes, Keith stepped in it, he got cought, he is being punished, I hope it ends soon.
Not directed at Drew.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 11-05-2010, 09:45 PM   #23
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Good Lord.
I just really don't care what he did.
I love Keith Olbermann and I want him back with his big ol' head.
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 02:31 AM   #24
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by atomiczombie View Post
I think the conflation of what the commentators at MSNBC and those at Fox do is not a fair one. Yes, the opinions are strong on each side, and there is a lot of snarkiness to go around. But tonight Rachel Maddow hit the nail on the head when she talked about the difference. Here is some of what she said:

You can see it all here: http://maddowblog.msnbc.msn.com/_new...cable-not-news
I did see a podcast of this and I do think she got the differences out there. My prior post had really to do with having a hard time with so much loud point making. I think it is just a personal thing- I like quiet and compative language and voice timbre and pacing gets to me.

I am kind of liking the newer show on MSNBC with Lawrence O'Donnell and I think it is because he doesn't yell. rachaelmaddow is one sharp woman, but, i admit, sometimes her silliness is over the top for me. I certainly think she has great perspective and insight, however.

Fox News is a GOP electing machine! Maddow's coverage of not only the contributions, but also all of the appearances of Fox hosts at GOP and Tea Party events and fund raisers in this piece was right on the money (pun intended!).

I just feel that the format of "news" shows are all the same these days and sometimes I feel like I am being shot with a machine gun even when the content makes sense to me. It could be an age thing, LOL, I am from the first generation of TV watchers! Hell, back then, there certainly wasn't something on 24/7! Which brings me to the news show "loops" like AC 360. Although, I like AC! I take in Charlie Rose when he is interviewing political guests, often.

I want some news reporting without the glitz, not opinion all of the time! Or, a mix of styles in these shows.

I like both the BBC News and the Public TV News Hour and really like to watch Washington Week with Gwen Eiffle (sp?). Democracy Now with Amy Goodman fits for me as well. I don't have all the bells and whistles with my satellite carrier- just the basics, so I could be missing out on other programs tha are worthwhile.

have to mention that some of the specials maddow has put together have been quite good- I actually prefer those over her daily show.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2010, 07:56 PM   #25
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I don't think that MSNBC e anything like Fox, just that sometimes they go too far for me and I wish they would not leave out pertinent details nor put together little skits easily taken out of context.

I love Ketih too and hope he is back soon.

Oh and yes, I miss Cronkite too!

Usually when we want to know what is actually going on we watch BBC.
Old 11-06-2010, 08:14 PM   #26
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Good Lord.
I just really don't care what he did.
I love Keith Olbermann and I want him back with his big ol' head.
He'll be back!
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-06-2010, 09:19 PM   #27
SimpleAlaskanBoy

How Do You Identify?:
Bisexual trans guy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Daddy to a sweet daisy.

Thanked 1,010 Times in 295 Posts
SimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST ReputationSimpleAlaskanBoy Has the BEST Reputation

I'm pretty much with Rachel, that okay he did something wrong, can we haz him back now? Yes, sometimes he tends to opine just as much as those on Faux do...but hell I can't stomach that channel without some pepto. And as much as we wish that news in America could be neutral, I think those days are just too far gone by now.
I had another train of thought on this but I think I lost it.
~SAB

<-----Pocky Jedi

"There's only one rule I know of babies-G-d damn it, you've got to be kind."
-Kurt Vonnegut (G-d Bless You, Mr. Rosewater)
SimpleAlaskanBoy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SimpleAlaskanBoy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2010, 05:13 PM   #28
Nat

How Do You Identify?:
bigender
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatevs
Relationship Status:
in a relationship

Thanked 13,992 Times in 2,595 Posts
Nat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST ReputationNat Has the BEST Reputation

Olbermann finally speaks after his suspension from Countdown

Today, Olbermann tweeted on his official Twitter account:
Greetings From Exile! A quick, overwhelmed, stunned THANK YOU for support that feels like a global hug & obviously left me tweetless XO

- Bjork

What is to give light must endure burning.

-Viktor Frankl
Nat is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Nat For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2010, 05:28 PM   #29
LipstickLola

How Do You Identify?:
Happy
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 1,597 Times in 433 Posts
LipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST ReputationLipstickLola Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by SimpleAlaskanBoy View Post
I had another train of thought on this but I think I lost it.
~SAB
My train often leaves the station before I'm ready
LipstickLola is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2010, 10:56 PM   #30
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

An annoucement on FB. Keith will be returning to work on Tuesday!
Old 11-08-2010, 12:01 AM   #31
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I will SOOOOOOOOOOOOO be watchin' THAT one! I wonder what he'll have to say about all of THIS!

YEA!!!!!!
Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2010, 12:37 AM   #32
MsDemeanor

How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme
Relationship Status:
Happily married to MisterMeanor, the man of my dreams

Thanked 1,849 Times in 510 Posts
MsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST ReputationMsDemeanor Has the BEST Reputation

That didn't last long, but it did start a much-needed conversation. Too bad that the conversation happened after the election and not a few weeks before. Not that the folks most in need of hearing the conversation - Faux viewers - would have paid attention.
Old 11-08-2010, 02:19 AM   #33
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsarecool View Post
An annoucement on FB. Keith will be returning to work on Tuesday!
WOOT! His ears were boxed well enough!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2010, 01:37 AM   #34
KatieStar

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her

KatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST ReputationKatieStar Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by betenoire View Post
So, yeah. Long post made short - I guess my issue with Maddow is that I -wish- she would be a journalist instead of a political commentator.

I have respect and admiration for her career - not to mention her academic successes. Lets not forget she's a pioneer within our community being the first openly gay American to win a Rhodes scholarship. All of that aside, even though I'm quite a fan of Ms. Maddow (I would say yes if she asked me to marry her) Unfortunately, I have to agree with this statement.
Old 11-12-2010, 11:17 PM   #35
1PlayfulFemme

How Do You Identify?:
An Unwitting Thread Derailer!
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, femme through and through
Relationship Status:
She is my soul.

Thanked 2,362 Times in 697 Posts
1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by KatieStar View Post

I have respect and admiration for her career - not to mention her academic successes. Lets not forget she's a pioneer within our community being the first openly gay American to win a Rhodes scholarship. All of that aside, even though I'm quite a fan of Ms. Maddow (I would say yes if she asked me to marry her) Unfortunately, I have to agree with this statement.
Katie, Love, now...you and I both know you will not wait for her to pop the question...if the moment ever arrives that you find yourself in the company of one Ms. Maddow (So formal, aren't we??) that you will pop the question within minutes Well. That's my prediction anyway!
1PlayfulFemme is offline   Reply With Quote