How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation
Default 7 dead and dozens injured in mass shooting at Sikh temple

http://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-sikh-t...9#.UB7Y8E1lR8x

Quote:
Seven people are dead after a mass shooting at a Sikh temple in the Milwaukee suburb of Oak Creek, Wis., this morning, according to police.

Two others, a civilian and a police officer, were injured and were being treated at a local hospital. At least one suspected shooter is among the dead, Greenfield, Wis., Police Chief Brad Wentlandt said today.

Police are still trying to determine if there was another shooter involved in the attack, during which at least one gunman walked into the temple around 10:25 a.m. and opened fire. Wentlandt said the calls reporting different shooters may be separate reports of the same gunman.

"They went to church, not knowing that they might die today," said Simran Kaleka, whose family was in the temple, according to ABC News Radio. "I don't know how sick you have to be to do that, and I don't know if it was directed toward the Sikh culture and them having turbans and having beards, but ignorance is not going to get us anywhere."

The first police officer to arrive on scene after a flurry of 911 calls exchanged gunfire with the shooter, receiving multiple gunshot wounds in the process. He was rushed into surgery at Froedtert Hospital, the main trauma center in the Milwaukee region, Wentlandt said.

"An officer arrived and engaged a suspect. That officer was shot multiple times. He is expected to survive," Wentlandt told the news media.

The gunman, he said, "is down on the scene and is presumed deceased."

Mike De Sisti/Milwaukee Journal-Sentinel/AP Photo
Family members wait outside a Sikh temple in... View Full Size
Four others were found dead inside the temple, while three people, including the shooter, were found dead outside the building.

Police are still performing tactical searches of the building to ensure that they have evacuated all of the injured people and cleared the building of any additional shooters.

"We believe we have the situation contained here" at the temple," Wentlandt said. "We do not know if there are other shooters at the scene."

He asked media outlets to stop broadcasting aerial footage from helicopters on television because of tactical operations at the scene.

Among those shot was the president of the temple, Satwant Singh Kaleka, who recently hosted a state representative and the county district attorney to discuss a recent rise in violence against area Sikhs at their stores and businesses, according to the Milwaukee Journal Sentinel.

On Sundays, Sikh temples, called gurudwaras, serve a community meal at which anyone is welcome as part of their community service. The meal, known as a langar, follows the morning services.

The Sikh religion originated in the Punjab region of India.

"Every single member of my family was inside that church," Simran Kaleka said. "No matter who is shot and killed in there, it's going to affect all of us out here because a lot of people are related here. And it's just, for me, my life flashed before my eyes because it's my whole family."

According to information broadcast over police radio, a witness to the shooting told law enforcement the shooter was a white male, bald, with a heavy build. He was wearing a sleeveless T-shirt, according to Oak Creek Patch. He was last seen with two handguns.

A spokeswoman for Froedtert Hospital said that three men were taken there and the hospital was ready to receive more, according to the Associated Press.

Federal agents from the Alcohol, Tobacco and Firearms bureau were sent to the scene of the shooting, two government officials told ABC News.

There were more than a dozen ambulances parked outside the temple, and police moved media and a handful of bystanders to an area near the temple.

Amardeep Kaleka, a member of the temple, told ABC affiliate WISN his father was inside during the shooting and his mother was hiding inside, believing the gunman was still inside. Kaleka said that a priest called for emergency help after the shooting.
one shooter is dead - everything i've found says they don't know if there was more than one shooter. one source is reporting that as many as 30 people may have been injured. no info yet on who the shooter is or the possible motivations, although there's apparently been an increase in violence against sikhs in the area.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 02:38 PM   #2
Ginger

How Do You Identify?:
Femme lesbian

Thanked 12,310 Times in 2,057 Posts
Ginger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST ReputationGinger Has the BEST Reputation

Terrifying. Disturbing. On so many levels.
Ginger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Ginger For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 02:41 PM   #3
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

agreed. sending lots of prayers...god, i can't even imagine. i was in church when it was happening. thinking about going to your place of worship and being gunned down just...what the hell. it sends chills down my spine.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 02:44 PM   #4
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
http://abcnews.go.com/US/dead-sikh-t...9#.UB7Y8E1lR8x

one shooter is dead - everything i've found says they don't know if there was more than one shooter. one source is reporting that as many as 30 people may have been injured. no info yet on who the shooter is or the possible motivations, although there's apparently been an increase in violence against sikhs in the area.
According to Yahoo news, the Police Chief was quoted as saying, "We have not identified additional shooters" and the tactical team swept the temple, so hopefully it was just the one guy.

I literally *just* read about this while checking my Yahoo mail before coming here - so unbelievably sad and tragic that these sorts of things keep happening.

My thoughts are with the victims, survivors, and their friends and family.
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 03:10 PM   #5
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

Horrible!!!!

I hope I am sooooooo wrong ... but I predict incidents similar to this will continue with more and more frequency.

Poor people didn't have a chance against a nut with handguns whose intent was to destroy lives. Wonder if he was hoping to one-up Colorado's batman psycho.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 03:17 PM   #6
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default loss

aishah,

Thank you for posting this very sad news. They're loss is a loss for all of us.

I hope that trauma therapists get to the community before too much time passes.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 08-05-2012, 04:05 PM   #7
Electrocell

How Do You Identify?:
Stonebutch
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/hy

Thanked 2,769 Times in 983 Posts
Electrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST ReputationElectrocell Has the BEST Reputation

This is really sad all the way around. To be killed for no other reason than that your beliefs are different from what someone else believes.
Old 08-05-2012, 05:09 PM   #8
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

this article has a lot more info about the timeline and victims.

http://www.jsonline.com/news/crime/r...165059506.html
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-06-2012, 11:08 PM   #9
Lady Pamela

How Do You Identify?:
A Lady..Femme..Free Spirit with a touch of survivalist woman in me.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Spiritual Warrior..She Ra..Baby Doll, or anything close..ha!
Relationship Status:
In perfect love and perfect trust I believe that will be directed..for now Just friends in my life.

1 Highscore

Location: Live in Utah but take trips to Arkansas. Plan to move there eventually.
Thanked 5,939 Times in 1,609 Posts
Lady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST ReputationLady Pamela Has the BEST Reputation

When negative thoughts come to mind,
Let them die stillborn.
Speak and do posotive in any situation,
And watch your dreams grow and flurish.
If you can't say anything posotive, Zip it up.
Do not give birth to that which you do not want to see grow.
See it, Believe it, Own it, Have it!
~*~ Lady Pamela ~*~
Lady Pamela is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lady Pamela For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 07:59 AM   #10
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

http://www.nytimes.com/2012/08/07/us...ting.html?_r=1

this is the first time that i can remember of the authorities treating an attack on a gurudwara or mosque as an act of domestic terrorism. this article has more info about the shooter.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 08:16 AM   #11
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

This whole thing is just heartbreaking and disgusting. I can only imagine the pain and grief of the families, and the community.

Someone posted on Facebook an image that I now can't find....but basically said something to the effect of intending to post an explanation of the differences between Muslims and Sikhs, and then realizing that it really wasn't necessary for people to understand about someone else's religious beliefs in order to know enough not to shoot them.

Hate and violence get us nowhere....and I seriously don't get why that's so hard for people to understand.

Old 08-07-2012, 08:17 AM   #12
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,801 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

America...land of the free,

as long as you are white, Anglo-Saxon, Protestant, straight and not different in any way, shape or form.

Said as a half-Jewish lesbian.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 08:18 AM   #13
aishah

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

http://sikhcoalition.org/get-involve...munity-support
resources for those wanting to support the sikh community. includes a list of vigils around the u.s. and canada as well as a pdf of ways to support the sikh community through holding a vigil, spreading awareness, donating to the victims, etc.

jo, i just shared that image on fb here it is...

also this film has pages of info related to hate crimes against the sikh community post 9/11. sikhs were the first to be attacked (the first man to die in a hate crime related to 9/11 was a sikh) because they are often assumed to be muslim.
http://www.dwf-film.com/
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 08-07-2012, 09:22 AM   #14
spritzerJ
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Queer (gender), female (biological marker)
Preferred Pronoun?:
she will work as a default.
Relationship Status:
*engaged to jac* until 8/10/14

Thanked 15,802 Times in 2,905 Posts
spritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST ReputationspritzerJ Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by aishah View Post
http://sikhcoalition.org/get-involve...munity-support
resources for those wanting to support the sikh community. includes a list of vigils around the u.s. and canada as well as a pdf of ways to support the sikh community through holding a vigil, spreading awareness, donating to the victims, etc.

jo, i just shared that image on fb here it is...

also this film has pages of info related to hate crimes against the sikh community post 9/11. sikhs were the first to be attacked (the first man to die in a hate crime related to 9/11 was a sikh) because they are often assumed to be muslim.
http://www.dwf-film.com/
Thank you for the link. I learned a ton.
spritzerJ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to spritzerJ For This Useful Post:
Old 08-09-2012, 02:09 AM   #15
DMW

How Do You Identify?:
FTM/Male (Will 14)
Relationship Status:
Caught An Angel and she doesn't lie!

Thanked 1,861 Times in 614 Posts
DMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST ReputationDMW Has the BEST Reputation

[nomedia="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ED1ZIbbxPOc&feature=related"]Red rain Peter Gabriel, Nathalie Merchant & REM - YouTube[/nomedia]

I am standing up at the water's edge in my dream
I cannot make a single sound as you scream
It can't be that cold, the ground is still warm to touch
This place is so quiet, sensing that storm

Red rain is coming down
Red rain
Red rain is pouring down
Pouring down all over me

Well I've seen them buried in a sheltered place in this town
They tell you that this rain can sting, and look down
There is no blood around see no sign of pain
Hay ay ay no pain
Seeing no red at all, see no rain

Red rain is coming down
Red rain
Red rain is pouring down
Pouring down all over me

Red rain-
Putting the pressure on much harder now
To return again and again
Just let the red rain splash you
Let the rain fall on your skin
I come to you defences down
With the trust of a child

Red rain is coming down
Red rain
Red rain is pouring down
Pouring down all over me
And I can't watch any more
No more denial
It's so hard to lay down in all of this
Red rain is coming down
Red rain is pouring down
Red rain is coming down all over me
I see it
Red rain is coming down
Red rain is pouring down
I'm bathing in it
Red rain coming down
Red rain is coming down
I'm begging you
Red rain coming down
Red rain coming down
Red rain coming down
Red rain coming down
Over me in the red red sea
Over me
Over me
Red rain

Last edited by DMW; 08-09-2012 at 02:32 AM.
DMW is offline   Reply With Quote