Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > In The News

View Poll Results: Did the Pakistan government (or military) know Osama bin Laden was there?
Yes, I believe Pakistani officials of some kind knew (please explain): 57 78.08%
No, I don't believe Pakistani officials knew (please explain); 2 2.74%
I am not sure (please explain): 3 4.11%
I believe private Pakistani citizens knew and helped him set up his "safe house." 11 15.07%
Voters: 73. You may not vote on this poll

Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 AM   #101
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockybcn View Post
[As many of you know, I work in Peace - Primarily with children around the world and gratefully in countries such as Pakistan -- The term *Paki* is beyond offensive.]

I personally thank you Julie for your contributions for peace. I hope the world will one day be a better place.
Maybe people are offended by the shortening of these nationalities ?:
Scot = from Scotland

Pole = from Poland

German = from Germany

Brit = from Britain

Aussie = from Australia

Finn = from Finland

Swede = from Sweden

All used without offence.

I think its because people associate the word Paki with racism, perhaps its time the word was reclaimed. The fault lies with those who use the word offensively in the first place not with those who use it without malice.
This is both sad and hilarious all at once. Why? Because most of the words you wrote as "shortenings of nationalities" are the actually names for those nationalities.

For example: German = Germany...really? That is a shortening of the German nationality? So what is the original then, if not German? Germany is the name of the country, German is the name of the people. How the fuck is that a short form of anything?

Same with Finn and Swede. Nobody says "That guy is a Finnish" or "That guy is a Swedish." Finn and Swede are the nouns used to denote a citizen of Finland or Sweden or someone of Finnish or Swedish heritage...they are not just a shorter version of another word. "He is a Finn" vs. "He is Finnish" It's like "He is an Englishman" vs. "He is English." You don't say "He is an English."

Same thing for Pole and Scot: "He is a Pole" vs. "He is Polish." Nobody goes around saying "He is a Polish" or "He is a Scottish." Don't be ridiculous.

I would argue that Brit can be offensive depending on how it's used, especially in former British colonies where we might be referring to the British in a negative way. But overall, it's a word that has its stem from the British themselves, and not typically or always used to denote inferiority or negativity.

Same with Aussie.

However, if someone were to call me a "Frog" or a "Kraut," as a "white European" you better believe I'd be offended. Same if I heard someone call a Pole a "Polack," that would be just as offensive despite that Poles are white Europeans. Using any slur for ANY race or ANY ethnicity, yes including all ethnic Europeans, is disrespectful, offensive and shameful.

The word for citizens of Pakistan or people of Pakistani heritage is Pakistani and you can say "He is a Pakistani" just as well as "He is Pakistani" just the same as you could say "He is Greek" and "He is a Greek." There's no way to justify the use of that particular slur to refer directly to or address Pakistanis as not racist, no matter how much you might try.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 03:05 PM   #102
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

For the life of me, I am not understanding why it is so difficult to "hear" that something is offensive to other people.

Just by virtue of how sensitive relations are these days between Arab countries and Muslims and the degree of racist attitudes and actions, I think it just a good idea to believe what POC are saying about this.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 05-10-2011, 04:58 PM   #103
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Handsome Devil View Post
I'm just thankful to live in a country that doesn't execute someone because they're gay or lesbian. I'm hopeful the marriage issue will change.
I agree. The comments about cutting off aid to this and/or other countries, made me wonder why we provide so much aid to countries who still condone execution for homosexuals ( among other human rights violations).

It wasn't that long ago that the list of countries represented at the UN who approved of execution was released. I recall being surprised that Haiti, a country who was at that time ( and is still currently) trying to rebuild from such a huge disaster much due to the aid coming from the USA and other countries, is among those countries on the UN list.

Here's that list:

http://www.whatthefolly.com/2010/11/...gender-people/

( scroll to bottom for 79 countries)... just for a source.

Sorry for the derail. I guess it just made me think that if we should cut aid... cut it to ALL tyrants.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-10-2011, 11:27 PM   #104
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

After a very long day, I'm very drowsy, can't keep up with reading this rather interesting Debate..
I will "Explain" my vote very briefly, for tonight, and subscribe..
You'll have to brush off any misunderstanding until I'm wide awake...
So, that being said..
Like quite a few, maybe they did....maybe they didn't....I'm leaning towards highly suspicious but not quite sure [why else would they take so fucking long to shoot him?*besides profit!*]
Let's take this "Fabulously Powerful" country called the U.S., ok....
Bear with me...
Some [Warren Jeffs comes to mind]Fundamentalist Mormons, marrying their cousin-sister-aunties, and banishing the potential rival son-uncle-nephews...in Enclaves that most of us had no fucking clue...
Not terrorists, true....but, we had no clue....

another example, take a pick of Serial killers....
My favorite?
Zodiac....
Why? Fucker to this day has yet to be found, within our own country....
Smart cookie...

And of course, there's the very touchy part...
Illegal Immigrants, some acting out as "Mules", not all are south of the border...
Some violate Visas[work, student, etc...]
Some have dubious intentions, and some are simply trying to slide under the wire to live with their same-sex partner and 2 kids.
After all the U.S. forbids gay marriage and gay rights within Immigration....
Immigration idea being said,
Who knows if private rich Pakistani's paid of private easily bribed poor Soldiers to protect their "rich" enclave, so they can have....what they might've considered, the Honor to be Host to a man who leads a fanatic cause against what is perceived in some places the most powerful Bully worldwide.
I say this because Persian, Middle Eastern, and Arab hospitality is notoriously known, a Guest is usually treated as King, regardless of known or stranger, once immediate danger is written off.....
That Intelligence was leaked by a greedy guard, higher up Pakistani Gov. maybe? Ok, Thats plausable too.....
But you really can't expect Pakistan to be aware of every Minute detail going on in a country where if u even dare pass the Khyber Pass anonymously, and live to tell, you're fuckin' Blessed.
Even we have issues, and our immigration laws are slowly choking the statue of liberty.....

{btw, i thoroughly agree on the "paki" crap, i cringed with every time i read it...especially when someone treated it so casual...it's as if someone just shrugged off calling me a spic, or half-breed }

g'night...
Old 05-30-2011, 09:38 AM   #105
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,131 Times in 4,736 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

war is hell .. maybe the blame should be on those who hide behinde their wives and children as well..he had no right being there w. his family KNOWING that he is a wanted man .. he should have bucked up and lived alone .. also .. of course they knew he was there ..
~ocean is offline   Reply With Quote