Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > Other Sexualities And Identities

Old 06-20-2017, 10:46 PM   #121
Bel

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/Bi/Femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she & they
Relationship Status:
Cursed

Bel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by indigo View Post
But why is that so? I can't yet draw on broad experiences as I am like "in the making" with this part of my identity. I have lesbian friends who have absolutely no problem with bisexual women/ people - and also, why should they? Yet one of them told me that for some this is problematic. For me this term somehow fits because I had relationships with men and this didn't feel wrong but at the same time it was not "it", so to speak, and yeah I was always into women as far as I can remember, at least since my teenage-hood. Then, doesn't the term bi-sexual indicate the dichotomy of sexes - a notion that I find questionable in many ways.
Hi again, Indigo!
It's true, some lesbians have serious problems with bi women, and it's very unfortunate. Why? Because bisexuals are seen as either "not really out"/closeted, indecisive, untrustworthy, sexually insatiable, upholding the patriarchy...and oh, transphobic. There are definitely bi transphobes out there in the world (bi trans folks in safer bi spaces often speak of that) but... that's an individual bigotry, not how bis define our bisexuality as a spectrum or culture. Back to your point—people OUTSIDE bi communities insist that the bi in bisexuality means two and that means bi people believe in only two genders and therefore, we're transphobic. (Nevermind that some trans folks actually *do* ID as male or female, SIGH) But.. the way we use and define bisexuality today actually comes from Kinsey and Kinsey's definition was defined as BOTH, not two, and BOTH WAYS as in BILATERAL, not "two". Kinsey defined bisexuality as an identity that moved bilaterally across the spectrum/scale (which is not perfect...) without settling on one single point. So, bisexuality is an umbrella term encompassing all these ways of moving bilaterally along that spectrum or around it.

All this to say: not even Kinsey believed in the existence of two genders. But bi people are easy targets...and most of the time.. we're battling perceptions that we don't even get to define.
Bel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Bel For This Useful Post:
Old 06-21-2017, 12:05 AM   #122
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Was bi-sexual throughout my teen years all the way up to my 30s. It felt like I was stuck in a very isolated middle of the road. Straights didn't want me around as I was queer, but lesbians rejected me claiming that I wasn't a "real lesbian." Also, it was denied that bisexual womyn were womon identified womyn.

For all the womon accepting Lesbian Separatists in the lesbian community, there was a lot of judgment against womyn who loved differently. At least back in the late '70s-mid '80s, The Seps verbalized acceptance of other womyn, but did not always practice it.

We were thought of as traitors to the cause.
Old 06-29-2017, 10:33 AM   #123
indigo

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-like
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

indigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputationindigo Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cathexis View Post
Was bi-sexual throughout my teen years all the way up to my 30s. It felt like I was stuck in a very isolated middle of the road. Straights didn't want me around as I was queer, but lesbians rejected me claiming that I wasn't a "real lesbian." Also, it was denied that bisexual womyn were womon identified womyn.

For all the womon accepting Lesbian Separatists in the lesbian community, there was a lot of judgment against womyn who loved differently. At least back in the late '70s-mid '80s, The Seps verbalized acceptance of other womyn, but did not always practice it.

We were thought of as traitors to the cause.
Damn, that's harsh Actually, I guess there are still quite some borders in my country between the communities of lesbians and bi-sexuals/ inter/ trans; but there is on the other hand a lot in motion - so I hope for a more inclusive atmosphere in the future.
indigo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-03-2017, 01:45 PM   #124
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

***** bump bump bump *****

There's a recent documentary that's been released about Whitney Houston and Robyn Crawford which explores bisexuality..... And social repercussions that often accompany this particular sexual identity (doc on the Showtime cable channel network: Free To Be Me).

I know what it's like to rise to the challenge of social stigma that often comes with this identification .

I haven't watched the documentary yet, so I can't give any sort of recommendation about neutrality or other objective presentation of bisexuality.

But it's nice to know that our little slice of life gets some form of exposure in film.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 08:10 AM   #125
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
***** bump bump bump *****

There's a recent documentary that's been released about Whitney Houston and Robyn Crawford which explores bisexuality..... And social repercussions that often accompany this particular sexual identity (doc on the Showtime cable channel network: Free To Be Me).

I know what it's like to rise to the challenge of social stigma that often comes with this identification .

I haven't watched the documentary yet, so I can't give any sort of recommendation about neutrality or other objective presentation of bisexuality.

But it's nice to know that our little slice of life gets some form of exposure in film.
I've seen this documentary twice actually so I feel the need to put my 2 cents worth in! I wouldn't say it's about her being bi-sexual but I am thrilled that the movie does go into more depth that any other that has ever been done about Whitney Houston! I also like how the movie isn't really a "downer".
It focused on a lot of the positive early stuff.

I can't recommendation enough!
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2017, 08:31 AM   #126
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
I've seen this documentary twice actually so I feel the need to put my 2 cents worth in! I wouldn't say it's about her being bi-sexual but I am thrilled that the movie does go into more depth that any other that has ever been done about Whitney Houston! I also like how movie wasn't really a "downer".
It focused on a lot of the positives early stuff IMHO

Sounds good, homoe! Glad to hear it's an positive account of her life....that's even better, imho. Thank you!

_____ ______
Old 09-04-2017, 06:36 PM   #127
Bel

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/Bi/Femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she & they
Relationship Status:
Cursed

Bel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST ReputationBel Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
I've seen this documentary twice actually so I feel the need to put my 2 cents worth in! I wouldn't say it's about her being bi-sexual but I am thrilled that the movie does go into more depth that any other that has ever been done about Whitney Houston! I also like how the movie isn't really a "downer".
It focused on a lot of the positive early stuff.

It's definitely not about Whitney's bisexuality, but as Bobby Brown says—wait, does anyone actually BELIEVE anything Bobby Brown says?!—Whitney was "probably bisexual." Actually, one of Whitney's back-up singers also says this—the woman with the necklace with circles and matching earrings. It's interesting that the most loyal to Whitney is... Robyn Crawford.

After seeing the movie I wished Whitney didn't have to choose between her family's approval and Robyn. It's sad that when Robyn leaves and refuses to participate in the chaos around Whitney, Whitney dives further into helplessness.

It's a sad but real movie, and yes, I also cannot recommend it enough as well!

That Scottish body guard though. I can't believe he was the only one who dared to try and help.
Bel is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Bel For This Useful Post:
Old 09-04-2017, 06:43 PM   #128
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

I cringed when they showed the clip from Oprah and Whitney's mother!

The clip where Oprah asks if it would bother her if Whitney was gay and she responses in the affirmative...don't even get me started
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2018, 06:10 PM   #129
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

For those who identify as bisexual, here's an trusted organization that offers resources for building community, counseling, opportunities to represent our sector and become an important ally to others in the greater LGBTQ community; BiNet USA .

BiNet USA is the longest running organization committed to educating, organizing and offering services or opportunities to be of service in personal or political ways, which strengthens the Bi-community locally or nationally.

LINK: www.binetusa.org

Edited to say: Here's an well written article published last year by GLAAD about the history and deep roots of bisexuality in the LGBTQ movement Some of Stonewall's biggest activists of the 60s & 70s were bisexual. My favorite all time celebrity bisexual personality was June Jordan: Jamaican African American Bisexual Poet, English Professor and activist for bisexual identity within the greater Lesbian, Gay, Bisexual, Transgender, Queer community.

Anyway, here's the link to the GLAAD 2017 article: https://www.glaad.org/blog/us-bisexu...history-lesson
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: