How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,863 Times in 7,834 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

I just finished "The Eleventh Plague" by Jeff Hirsch. It was supposed to be kinda in the same genre as "Hunger Games" or maybe "Divergent". Needless to say, its a YA novel and it reminded me why I rarely read them. The writing style was fine but I couldn't get into the characters. I just didn't care about them all that much.

Switching gears!

Picked up "The Marketplace of Revolution: How Consumer Politics Shaped American Independence" by T.H. Breen.

From the synopsis:
The Marketplace of Revolution offers a boldly innovative interpretation of the mobilization of ordinary Americans on the eve of independence. Breen explores how colonists who came from very different ethnic and religious backgrounds managed to overcome difference and create a common cause capable of galvanizing resistance. In a richly interdisciplinary narrative that weaves insights into a changing material culture with analysis of popular political protests, Breen shows how virtual strangers managed to communicate a sense of trust that effectively united men and women long before they had established a nation of their own.
The Marketplace of Revolution argues that the colonists' shared experience as consumers in a new imperial economy afforded them the cultural resources that they needed to develop a radical strategy of political protest--the consumer boycott. Never before had a mass political movement organized itself around disruption of the marketplace. As Breen demonstrates, often through anecdotes about obscure Americans, communal rituals of shared sacrifice provided an effective means to educate and energize a dispersed populace. The boycott movement--the signature of American resistance--invited colonists traditionally excluded from formal political processes to voice their opinions about liberty and rights within a revolutionary marketplace, an open, raucous public forum that defined itself around subscription lists passed door-to-door, voluntary associations, street protests, destruction of imported British goods, and incendiary newspaper exchanges. Within these exchanges was born a new form of politics in which ordinary man and women--precisely the people most often overlooked in traditional accounts of revolution--experienced an exhilarating surge of empowerment.
Breen recreates an "empire of goods" that transformed everyday life during the mid-eighteenth century. Imported manufactured items flooded into the homes of colonists from New Hampshire to Georgia. The Marketplace of Revolution explains how at a moment of political crisis Americans gave political meaning to the pursuit of happiness and learned how to make goods speak to power."
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2013, 09:08 PM   #2002
PoeticSilence

How Do You Identify?:
*dodges labels*
Relationship Status:
Estranged

PoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST Reputation

I'm trying out a new site (which means I ordered some books) and I thought I'd share it with all of the readers.. check it out. http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

Still reading Herodotus.

Last edited by PoeticSilence; 09-16-2013 at 09:26 PM. Reason: grammar
PoeticSilence is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2013, 09:32 PM   #2003
PoeticSilence

How Do You Identify?:
*dodges labels*
Relationship Status:
Estranged

PoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST Reputation

I can't tell if that posted or not, it's not showing up, so if you read, check out this site: http://www.betterworldbooks.com/
Old 09-17-2013, 08:12 PM   #2004
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,857 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I am reading,

Confidentiality in Allied Health....

Perfunctory school reading is never the funnest stuff.....
Old 09-17-2013, 08:33 PM   #2005
Nic

How Do You Identify?:
Male (FtM)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I am her North and she is my Star.

Nic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsie View Post
A friend recommended THIS book.

Has anyone read it or know much about Bolz-Weber?

*curious*
Haven't read it. Did read "Salvation on the Small Screen". Liked it a lot. But 24 hours of watching televangelism in the name of research? She's a better person than I!

"Trust is a verb."

Street Buddha
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Nic For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 11:38 AM   #2006
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoeticSilence View Post
I'm trying out a new site (which means I ordered some books) and I thought I'd share it with all of the readers.. check it out. http://www.betterworldbooks.com/

Still reading Herodotus.
While part of me is super DUPER happy you have gifted us with this site, the practical side of me says I must refrain from book buying until I have a place to put said new books.. I'm good at getting rid of everything else BUT books..it is absolute hell being me...sigh
Old 09-18-2013, 12:13 PM   #2007
Nic

How Do You Identify?:
Male (FtM)
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
I am her North and she is my Star.

Nic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST ReputationNic Has the BEST Reputation

Been combing through her bookshelves since I've read everything in mine.

Not a poetry fan so I passed over those. Been told I'm not allowed to skip it completely if we're going to be "friends". What I do for love. (rolling up sleeves) She started my sci-fi education a month or so back. Not clear on all the subgenres but I'm enjoying what she has so far. Glad she doesn't go much for the fantasy end of things. Read the typical Tolkien in my 20's but otherwise not really feeling the love when it comes to dragons and orcs. (the recently completed Rowling, excepted) Been switching back and forth between fiction and non-fiction shelves. Will finish (autographed copy!) of Ocean at the End of the Lane tonight. Short read. Wanted to finish it last night but couldn't keep my eyes open. On deck, W.E.B. Dubois biography called Biography of a Race. Been told that William Gibson should be next on my sci-fi agenda. She says I "must read the classics". There are science fiction classics?

"Trust is a verb."

Street Buddha
Nic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-18-2013, 01:04 PM   #2008
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
I wasn't sure what I was going to read next...and then....I went to the post office and found I had a package. I am now reading...

On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage by Robert Alden Rubin

It details the travels of a man hiking the Appalachian Trail....
Oh! Have you also read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?
I'm just finishing it, and he is also accounting his hike on the AT. However, in true Bryson style, he injects much about the history, current situations, and stories about the AT throughout the book.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the book you're reading.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-18-2013, 01:06 PM   #2009
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

The Not So Big Life ~ Sarah Susanka
(making room for what really matters)

Started this book on audio during a car trip and became so engrossed that I had to checkout the hard copy of the book to finish. Susanka has a way of tying back her thoughts to such practical examples (architecture and home design) and it's an inspiring read.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2013, 07:48 PM   #2010
ONLY

How Do You Identify?:
well my girl calls me honeybear, sugarbear, sexy beast, hot tamale.....
Preferred Pronoun?:
female pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married to my Rare Beauty with a Beautiful Soul.....SS

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,735 Times in 679 Posts
ONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST Reputation

I am now reading (been few days now) The House Of Thunder by Dean Koontz (another one of my fav authors)

ONLY is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ONLY For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 10:29 AM   #2011
deathbypoem

How Do You Identify?:
Poetically versed to breathe only truth and bleed certainty
Preferred Pronoun?:
Kane
Relationship Status:
Married to Chefnaction

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,586 Posts
deathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputation

http://www.paperbackswap.com/Secret-...ok/0688093043/

Interesting read. And, quite frightening.

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own
deathbypoem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deathbypoem For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 11:33 AM   #2012
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

The final few hundred pages of 'Dance with Dragons' book five of the Game of Thrones series. Soon I will join the masses of people waiting (and waiting...and waiting some more) for books six and seven.

I might launch in to 'Cloud Atlas' by David Mitchell after this.
Old 09-20-2013, 12:42 PM   #2013
deb_U_taunt

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 5,260 Times in 1,363 Posts
deb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputationdeb_U_taunt Has the BEST Reputation

I am on a Faye Kellerman kick right now.

reading Serpent's Tooth
deb_U_taunt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deb_U_taunt For This Useful Post:
Old 09-20-2013, 02:10 PM   #2014
Scots_On_The_Rocks

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, them, theirs
Relationship Status:
Owned by a few cats, Loved by one woman, and Looked up to by one child.

Thanked 1,092 Times in 388 Posts
Scots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST ReputationScots_On_The_Rocks Has the BEST Reputation

"How Few Remain" ~ Harry Turtledove
"The Inexplicables" ~ Cherie Priest
Scots_On_The_Rocks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Scots_On_The_Rocks For This Useful Post:
Old 09-21-2013, 12:42 PM   #2015
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Oh! Have you also read A Walk in the Woods by Bill Bryson?
I'm just finishing it, and he is also accounting his hike on the AT. However, in true Bryson style, he injects much about the history, current situations, and stories about the AT throughout the book.

I'd be interested to hear what you think about the book you're reading.
I HAVE read that book! Few years back and I have given it to many others to read as well. Bryson is an excellent and descriptive writer. His (unofficial) bibliography from that book led me to read several others in fact...

The other book I had been reading, On the Beaten Path, was very good. Stirred my fires some more where hiking the AT is concerned

If you like books such as these, you may like a book written by a much loved (by me) naturalist named Bernd Heinrich. The first (and favorite) book I read by him is called A Year in the Maine Woods. He does a Thoreauesque experiment of living MOSTLY in his cabin in Maine....
Old 09-23-2013, 07:02 AM   #2016
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Quote:
Originally Posted by cinnamongrrl View Post
I HAVE read that book! Few years back and I have given it to many others to read as well. Bryson is an excellent and descriptive writer. His (unofficial) bibliography from that book led me to read several others in fact...

The other book I had been reading, On the Beaten Path, was very good. Stirred my fires some more where hiking the AT is concerned

If you like books such as these, you may like a book written by a much loved (by me) naturalist named Bernd Heinrich. The first (and favorite) book I read by him is called A Year in the Maine Woods. He does a Thoreauesque experiment of living MOSTLY in his cabin in Maine....
Thanks for the referral. I'm heading to the library today and will look for Heinrich's works.

Yes, after reading Bryson's book my wanderlust-muse is sparked and now I want to read more and also daydream about hiking the AT.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2013, 07:16 AM   #2017
GeeGina

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, but flexible.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss
Relationship Status:
Single. Looking. Available. Open.

GeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST ReputationGeeGina Has the BEST Reputation
Default Soul Picnic...

Lately, I've become obsessed with Laura Nyro and am reading "Soul Picnic" - which is about her music and her incredibly private, even mysterious life.
GeeGina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to GeeGina For This Useful Post:
Old 09-23-2013, 07:28 AM   #2018
Daktari

I see references to one of my fave writers, Bill Bryson.

One of my absolute favourites of his is The Life and Times of the Thunderbolt Kid.

It's an autobiographical look at his childhood growing up in 50s America.
As usual it's wryly dry and witty.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 03:05 PM   #2019
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,924 Times in 9,906 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Classic Literature (Historical Novel)

The Bride of Lammermoor
(Author: Sir Walter Scott)

http://www2.hn.psu.edu/faculty/jmani...lammermoor.pdf

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-26-2013, 03:34 PM   #2020
~baby~doll~

How Do You Identify?:
femme-bottom, lesbian, queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
Leather polyamorous family

Thanked 2,855 Times in 905 Posts
~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation~baby~doll~ Has the BEST Reputation

Mayhem at the Marina A Lexi Hyatt Mystery by Carlene Miller

This is book 2 of a series of well written mysteries
Uh Huh Her
~baby~doll~ is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to ~baby~doll~ For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading