How Do You Identify?:
queer stone femme shark baby girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her, little one
Relationship Status:
dating myself.

1 Highscore

Thanked 6,437 Times in 1,288 Posts
aishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputationaishah Has the BEST Reputation

open veins of latin america - eduardo galeano.
aishah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to aishah For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2012, 03:17 AM   #1102
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i am reading The Hunger Games too.
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2012, 05:20 PM   #1103
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

For those of you who enjoy *free* stuff... I got a series about werewolves for free... I downloaded it to my NookColor. The Mating, The Keeping, and The Finding... you must read them in order. I only remember the authors first name and truly wish I could find more of her work. Her first name is Nicky and each book is about 1000 pages... I would like to hear what others think of her work...

Happy reading...

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 10:38 AM   #1104
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,996 Times in 9,940 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default *Good Morning & Hi

Just a quick note this morning before I head to work (a new job, thank heavens!), that I read the series called the "Hunger Games" and I was not affected by the storyline at all: Probably because of the level of abuse I have survived in my lifetime - or - something like that. I filter from a variety of lens in life and was not impressed with this series. I took the books back and traded them in for something different to read.

I'd rather read a real life account of some fucked up situation and the details involved and how perpetrators of abuse committed their crime (s) rather than read material as presented in the format of the "Hunger Games" - but I'm not the average reader and do not expect my views about this book to meld with other opinion.

I wonder if anyone has read other non-fiction accounts within the genre of white collar crime... I'm interested in reading things of this nature. If anyone has a recommendation for a book they liked, I'd be interested in hearing about it.

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 01-30-2012, 08:29 PM   #1105
StillettoDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lady
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 3,878 Times in 1,484 Posts
StillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST ReputationStillettoDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Don't know if I will finish it. It a big book!
Its a study of the power of money
Old 01-30-2012, 10:13 PM   #1106
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Okay, well I'm behind the times. I was coming here to praise and gush about The Hunger Games. I got it last week because the movie preview looks really good. This is a book that I've picked up and put back at the bookstore a half-dozen times. Even now that I bought it, I read some of my other books first. I wasn't expecting much.

I LOVE it. I am a really, REALLY, slow reader and am almost done with the book in 24 hours. I even turned the TV off to read it. I have not been exposed to any type of abuse so I am very much shocked by the story-line. I did grow up roaming the woods and hunting with my brother as a child, so I feel I can identify a little with the main character in that.

Now I'm really excited to watch the movie.

Okay, back to finish reading it. 'Night.
A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 01:01 AM   #1107
Toughy

How Do You Identify?:
pervert butch feminist woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
see above
Relationship Status:
independent entity

Thanked 7,656 Times in 1,522 Posts
Toughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST ReputationToughy Has the BEST Reputation

Daughter of Fortune by Isabel Allende
I will not assimilate

Toughy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Toughy For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 01:05 AM   #1108
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

"Pilgrim" - Timothy Findley
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2012, 06:15 PM   #1109
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

all i can say is - wow
read this for sure
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2012, 06:34 AM   #1110
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

moving on to another dystopian book... 36% done and it's good thus far.

"Under the Never Sky" by Veronica Rossi

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Under-Never-Sky-Veronica-Rossi/dp/006207203X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328186028&sr=8-1"]http://www.amazon.com/Under-Never-Sky-Veronica-Rossi/dp/006207203X/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1328186028&sr=8-1[/ame]

Oh - it's part 1 of a trilogy. The other two books are not yet available.
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 10:24 AM   #1111
Tawse

How Do You Identify?:
TG Gender Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 2,739 Times in 644 Posts
Tawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST ReputationTawse Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Finished "Under the Never Sky" - I will definitely be getting book 2 when it is released. It's a different take on the YA Dystopian genre. Anyone who has ever "stepped foot" into Second Life will appreciate aspects of it. One plot device draws to mind "Twilight" (not the saturated teenage angst part, and not the sparkly vampire part either...). It's a good opening book.

Now starting "Hollowland" - the first book of a series (not sure how many there are / will be) and it was a free kindle book! So far you can tell it's not as polished as the other books, but it's entertaining.

the Scoop: YA Dystopian. Zombies. And a kick ass (from the get go) female lead. (who named her pet lioness [yes a bloody LIONESS] Ripley... and yes that's after Sigourney)
Tawse is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tawse For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 10:34 AM   #1112
luv2luvgirls
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Asshole

Thanked 5,470 Times in 1,827 Posts
luv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputationluv2luvgirls Has the BEST Reputation

a lil erotica .. and dang she can write! must stay off n the morning lol
luv2luvgirls is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to luv2luvgirls For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 10:40 AM   #1113
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

I bought this last year and picked it up a couple of weeks ago - now I can't put it down!!

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

For those Sookie fans or those into Vamps, Daemons or Witches, its actually a good read!
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 10:46 AM   #1114
genghisfawn

How Do You Identify?:
Femme/Gentlewoman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Happily married 05/17/14

Thanked 2,157 Times in 403 Posts
genghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputationgenghisfawn Has the BEST Reputation

I always have at least 3 books on the go! They're all rereads, but those are most comforting.

Tales of the City - Armistead Maupin

Mary Wakefield - Mazo de la Roche

Anne of the Island - Lucy Maud Montgomery (I love you, iBooks)
genghisfawn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to genghisfawn For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 11:27 AM   #1115
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Quentin Tarentino and Philosophy

Imagine Kill Bill analyzed from the viewpoint of western and eastern moral theory.

It's part of the series Philosophy and Pop Culture. If there's something you watch (from family guy to house to twilight and about 100 more), they've probably given it the philosophical once-over. Enlightening and entertaining, though it's good to know a bit about the major philosophical movements.
Old 02-09-2012, 12:54 PM   #1116
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Way of the Peaceful Warrior
~ Dan Millman
Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-09-2012, 04:26 PM   #1117
Thamca74

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
single

Thamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST ReputationThamca74 Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished the Hunger Games-- Its really a good book. I would let my kids read it. There is nothing really awful in it.. Its strange and interesting. I am an avid reader and a local DJ was dared to read it on the radio, made me curious as I heard them talking about it.. I bought the next book its a trilogy! You might like it if you have time to read! Just offering my opinion. Let me know how it goes =)
Thamca74 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Thamca74 For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 07:21 PM   #1118
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Just read

my GODs what a story! Amazing and a very fast read.

SUmmary;
A solitary woman. A foreign country. An unknown language. An impossible dream' No. With no mission board to support or guide her and less than ten dollars in her pocket, Gladys Aylward left her home in England to answer God's call to take the message of the gospel to China. With the Sino-Japanese War waging around her, she struggled to bring the basics of life and the fullness of God to orphaned children. Time after time, God triumphed over impossible situations, and drew people to Himself. The Little Woman tells the story of one woman's determination to serve God at any cost.With God all things are possible!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 02-12-2012, 08:08 PM   #1119
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished Jane Lynch's memoir Happy Accidents....was pretty disappointed, actually. On the one hand, I appreciated the honest display of her every insecurity... that's not so typical of celebrity memoirs. But as I read anecdote after anecdote that showed her lack of self-love, I kept hearing Wayne and Garth whining, "We're not worthy! We're not worthy!" If she was trying to prove she's not like Sue Sylvester, she showed me. Over and over. And over.

Next up: A Dance with Dragons, the 5th book in the Game of Thrones series. Let's hope I finish before the library wants it back.

JD
Old 02-12-2012, 08:16 PM   #1120
Martina

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 18,367 Times in 4,171 Posts
Martina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST ReputationMartina Has the BEST Reputation

i was really disappointed in it. Loved all the scholarship stuff and there were some good ideas, but the characters and the language were so conventionally romance novel. Like Sookie better.

Quote:
Originally Posted by christie View Post
I bought this last year and picked it up a couple of weeks ago - now I can't put it down!!

A Discovery of Witches - Deborah Harkness

For those Sookie fans or those into Vamps, Daemons or Witches, its actually a good read!
Martina is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Martina For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading