ko3755

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Butch
Relationship Status:
Single

ko3755 is on a distinguished road
Default American in Edinburgh on Holiday

Hey!

Sorry in advance for the bothersome post, but I will be in Edinburgh this weekend until the 16th and would be grateful for any tips about things to do.

(I'm a soft butch, 38, dual US/UK citizen.)

Thanks!
ko3755 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 12:40 PM   #2
cara

How Do You Identify?:
Queer/lesbian femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
Married to my love 08.15.15

Thanked 13,254 Times in 2,724 Posts
cara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputationcara Has the BEST Reputation

Oh! I'm so envious. I miss Edinburgh so much!

The Edinburgh bus tours are a really great deal. You can buy a ticket and jump on and off at any stop you'd like and they run regularly throughout the day. Be sure to check out Edinburgh Castle and the Royal Mile. If you're up for a nice walk, Arthur's Seat has some amazing views of the city. Take a day trip to Glasgow or St. Andrews. There are some really great day tours you can find through the visitor/information center on Princes street. Take another day to explore and shop along Princes Street. Duck into a number of museums if you get tired from shopping. One of my favorite pubs was Jekyll & Hyde's. See if you can find the bathrooms sober so you know where to look for them when drunk. Find a rugby club's pitch and watch a practice or visit Murrayfield Stadium. Say hello to my old flat in Morrisson Circus near Haymarket. Best way to meet people and possible travel companions is find your nearest pub (not hard since they're everywhere!) and make some friendly conversation with folks. Oh! And take full advantage of the late-night chip shops!

Enjoy your trip for me!!!

~Wade Davis
cara is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-05-2012, 01:19 PM   #3
Daktari

I love Edinburgh too but I've only ever been a visitor.

Ya could get out to Leith to see the Royal Yacht Britannia. There's a brilliant Michelin starred restaurant there too, The Kitchin.
http://www.thekitchin.com/kitchin/tomkitchin

The galleries and museums are free, apart from travelling exhibitions. I really enjoyed the Scottish Portrait Gallery.

I hope you have a wonderful time.
Old 06-05-2012, 01:24 PM   #4
Ciaran

How Do You Identify?:
Altocalciphilic
Preferred Pronoun?:
Papa Smurf
Relationship Status:
Curmudgeonous spinster

Thanked 3,656 Times in 602 Posts
Ciaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST ReputationCiaran Has the BEST Reputation

Edinburgh Castle is the one "must do" for one-time visitors to the city. Generally, the Royal Mile / Grassmarket area is very nice for visitors and worthwhile to explore.

Wouldn't bother with a day trip to Glasgow. However, if you get the chance, you should try to take two or three days out to explore some of the remoter parts of Scotland. This can be very rewarding.

No point looking out for the rugby. Although Edinburgh has a rugby team and it's where the Scotland national team play, it remains a soccer city with two main teams (Hearts, who play in maroon & white and Hibs, who play in green & white). As it is, the local rugby and soccer seasons have now ended although the bars will be packed for the European Championships (soccer) which start this Friday. Can be great fun to watch these games in the pubs, especially when England are playing (note - for your own safety when in Edinburgh, cheer on the team that are playing England).

In summary, a nice enough city and much nicer than Glasgow.
Ciaran is offline   Reply With Quote