Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Celebrity, Music, Television, Internet Culture

Old 12-29-2011, 12:28 AM   #1
lettertodaddy

How Do You Identify?:
dorky queer femme bottom
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
single, dammit.

lettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Pariah the Movie

Has anyone seen this? It was released today (December 28) in NY, SF, LA, and DC. It's coming to Seattle in early January, and a few other cities as well. I'm thinking of driving across the border for it.

Synopsis:
Adepero Oduye, who had earlier starred in the short film, portrays Alike (pronounced ah-lee-kay), a 17-year-old African-American woman who lives with her parents Audrey and Arthur (Kim Wayans and Charles Parnell) and younger sister Sharonda (Sahra Mellesse) in Brooklyn’s Fort Greene neighborhood. She has a flair for poetry, and is a good student at her local high school. Alike is quietly but firmly embracing her identity as a lesbian. With the sometimes boisterous support of her best friend, out lesbian Laura (Pernell Walker), Alike is especially eager to find a girlfriend. At home, her parents’ marriage is strained and there is further tension in the household whenever Alike’s development becomes a topic of discussion. Pressed by her mother into making the acquaintance of a colleague’s daughter, Bina (Aasha Davis), Alike finds Bina to be unexpectedly refreshing to socialize with. Wondering how much she can confide in her family, Alike strives to get through adolescence with grace, humor, and tenacity – sometimes succeeding, sometimes not, but always moving forward.

The meaning behind my screen name:
lettertodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to lettertodaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 12:32 AM   #2
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

Cool!! I'm all about seeing this. Give me a shout if you decide to come this way and I head on in

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 12:34 AM   #3
lettertodaddy

How Do You Identify?:
dorky queer femme bottom
Preferred Pronoun?:
feminine ones
Relationship Status:
single, dammit.

lettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputationlettertodaddy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubadyke View Post
Cool!! I'm all about seeing this. Give me a shout if you decide to come this way and I head on in
I'd made plans to go snowshoeing that same weekend, but it's rare that a movie with a black lesbian protagonist is released, so I really want to make the effort to see it, even if it means driving 6 hours round trip just to see it.

The meaning behind my screen name:
lettertodaddy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to lettertodaddy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 12:45 AM   #4
nowandthen

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
S/he
Relationship Status:
In a realationship with my PhD. Dissertation work for the next 3 years

nowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputationnowandthen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Great film

Just got back from the SF showing, It was better than I expected, every part was written well, you laugh, cry and relate

" It's a Kind of testing, The kind of testing that spiritual warriors need in order to awaken their Heart" PC
nowandthen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nowandthen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 01:21 AM   #5
nycbutch

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
moved on and ready to start again

nycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputation

hoping to go see it in NYC this w/e...getting great reviews!!!

http://youtu.be/39gpaDnjW4I
nycbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycbutch For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 01:46 AM   #6
SoNotHer

How Do You Identify?:
Professional Sandbagger and Jenga Zumba Instructor

Location: In the master control room of my world domination dreams
Thanked 4,736 Times in 1,409 Posts
SoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST ReputationSoNotHer Has the BEST Reputation

I've posted about it in the cinephiles thread. I can't wait to see it. Thank you for starting a thread about it.

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettertodaddy View Post
Has anyone seen this? It was released today (December 28) in NY, SF, LA, and DC. It's coming to Seattle in early January, and a few other cities as well. I'm thinking of driving across the border for it.

Synopsis:
Adepero Oduye, who had earlier starred in the short film, portrays Alike (pronounced ah-lee-kay), a 17-year-old African-American woman who lives with her parents Audrey and Arthur (Kim Wayans and Charles Parnell) and younger sister Sharonda (Sahra Mellesse) in Brooklyn’s Fort Greene neighborhood. She has a flair for poetry, and is a good student at her local high school. Alike is quietly but firmly embracing her identity as a lesbian. With the sometimes boisterous support of her best friend, out lesbian Laura (Pernell Walker), Alike is especially eager to find a girlfriend. At home, her parents’ marriage is strained and there is further tension in the household whenever Alike’s development becomes a topic of discussion. Pressed by her mother into making the acquaintance of a colleague’s daughter, Bina (Aasha Davis), Alike finds Bina to be unexpectedly refreshing to socialize with. Wondering how much she can confide in her family, Alike strives to get through adolescence with grace, humor, and tenacity – sometimes succeeding, sometimes not, but always moving forward.
SoNotHer is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SoNotHer For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 06:24 AM   #7
Admin
Administrator

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 5,633 Times in 1,013 Posts
Admin has disabled reputation
Member Photo Albums

This looks amazing!
I doubt they'll be showing it here in any of our theatres for a while, it takes several months sometimes for us to get any of the indie-type films.
I'll definitely be waiting to see this one!
Admin is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Admin For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 08:07 AM   #8
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

In December this film was won the Independent Spirit award in NYC, and the filmmakers held several events in the build-up to the release. i attended a workshop evening that the NY Women in Television and Film held at Eastman Kodak (Kodak had donated some film stock - yes it was shot of film!). The producer and director and some cast members talked about the process of making "Pariah" and showed some of the film. It was informative and really exciting for me - i even took notes for the first time since high school! I appreciated that they took the time to have this event for women -- the film had just been picked up for distribution, and they were very, very busy.

It also fair to mention that the lead actor, while giving an award-winning performance, is straight. So this film is ground-breaking in so many aspects, but not the one where straight people play non-straight roles.

I am happy for this film because it was a looong processs and ultimately successful for a woman producer and woman director. I don't know of another example of a widely released film that has that. I am also happy for this film, and for the film-going audiences, and for myself as a woman visual artist, that a GOOD, independently made film is getting seen.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 09:04 AM   #9
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by lettertodaddy View Post
I'd made plans to go snowshoeing that same weekend, but it's rare that a movie with a black lesbian protagonist is released, so I really want to make the effort to see it, even if it means driving 6 hours round trip just to see it.
The release date for Seattle is Jan. 6th at the Landmark Theater but it does not indicate a time. I can make it if it's an 8pm or later showing.

Cheers!

~~Bob Richardson~~
The Following User Says Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 09:20 AM   #10
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

We have a few landmark theaters in San Diego. Looking forward to seeing it!! Last lesbian themed movie I saw there was "Circumstance". It was very moving.
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 10:27 AM   #11
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation
Default Ann Bradley Lesbian Activist

I have not seen it yet and I will see it. I would like to mention the producer of this film, Ann Bradley. Ann is a femme lesbian activist in Los Angeles that has done many many things for the LGBTQ community through out the past 30 something years. She is also a avid Animal Rights activist. She is also a white lesbian that has promoted the POC LGBTQ community in all things even before it became P.C.

Her many years of experience as an activist, Public Relations professional and personal financing helped bring this film to the attention of the public. She does not know I am posting this. She is low key about much of her work. I am posting this because there are many that have devoted much of their lives to moving this community forward.

I have also been the benefactor of Ann's kindness and support in my earlier years. She saw something in me when I was a very young baby butch that I could not see in myself. Thank you Ann and for the many many others that are mentors, activists and members of the community.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 10:38 AM   #12
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

This film looks amazing! It's on my list of must see movies of 2012!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-02-2012, 09:47 PM   #13
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

The Seattle Landmark Theater is awaiting final go ahead for this movie. They will be posting show times either Tuesday or Wednesday....just an FYI

Cheers,

Scoobs

~~Bob Richardson~~
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 01-02-2012, 09:56 PM   #14
nycbutch

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
moved on and ready to start again

nycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputationnycbutch Has the BEST Reputation

saw this movie in NYC this past Friday. Cannot say it enough....excellent, excellent movie! Very well done and great acting all around! Highly recommend it to everyone!

http://youtu.be/39gpaDnjW4I
nycbutch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to nycbutch For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2012, 11:58 PM   #15
o222Good

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

o222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

This is a great movie! A must see.
Favorite line: "I like girls... but I love bois!"
I smiled with tears at the Butch buds, and I
laughed with tears at the 2by4!
The writing is so excellent, and the acting is too!
o222Good is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to o222Good For This Useful Post:
Old 01-27-2012, 03:51 PM   #16
Queerasfck

How Do You Identify?:
still ballin'
Relationship Status:
Triple X

Thanked 6,497 Times in 1,639 Posts
Queerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST ReputationQueerasfck Has the BEST Reputation

We saw it about two weeks ago and now it's gone..........

It was a good flick about finding yourself.

SUPPORT QUEER FILMS!
Queerasfck is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2012, 04:01 PM   #17
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

It's still showing here in NYC at the Landmark. I joined a group of friends and saw it over the weekend. It was wonderful.
Old 01-27-2012, 05:12 PM   #18
Sachita

How Do You Identify?:
Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Completely in love

Thanked 8,994 Times in 2,249 Posts
Sachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST ReputationSachita Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Its not playing anywhere around here. looks good. I would have drove to DC and seen it if it was still playing. Guess we have to wait for the DVD
Old 01-27-2012, 05:15 PM   #19
MsMerrick

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Feminist Femme....
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single and Singular....

MsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST ReputationMsMerrick Has the BEST Reputation

I went to see it New Years Day, seemed like an excellent way to start the new Year. Oh and.. I Loved it !!!!!
MsMerrick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to MsMerrick For This Useful Post:
Old 02-23-2012, 01:11 PM   #20
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

I thought it was very good.
And also thought there is room for improvement. Let's hope that this is the ice-breaker that ushers in a golden age of non-heterocentric film. Our stories belong up there on the screen, let's make films and support filmmakers.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote