Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 03-10-2013, 10:23 AM   #41
Boots13

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
No

Thanked 2,315 Times in 428 Posts
Boots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST ReputationBoots13 Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Swivel Heads...

I thought I'd bump the thread -

It's biking time...
but most motorists are still in winter driving mode and not seeing/looking for motorcyclists.

We've already responded to motorcycle/vehicle accidents. Our sunny day in Seattle started what I hope is NOT a trend.

So, quickie reminders:

-be a swivel head - know what is around you at all times.
-stay out of blind spots
- Left turners, left turners, left turners. Watch for them turning in front of you.
-own your lane, be visible
-dont assume they see you (and if they do, they're aiming for you)
-and of course, no matter who has the right of way...cars are bigger, sometimes you just gotta yield ..
Boots13 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Boots13 For This Useful Post:
Old 03-10-2013, 10:30 AM   #42
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots13 View Post

It's biking time...
but most motorists are still in winter driving mode and not seeing/looking for motorcyclists.

We've already responded to motorcycle/vehicle accidents. Our sunny day in Seattle started what I hope is NOT a trend.

So, quickie reminders:

-stay out of blind spots
- Left turners, left turners, left turners. Watch for them turning in front of you.
-and of course, no matter who has the right of way...cars are bigger, sometimes you just gotta yield ..
Thanks for the reminders friend.
Old 03-14-2013, 03:47 PM   #43
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Don't let the gal part of my screen name fool ya I,m ALL butch!

1 Highscore

Thanked 11,735 Times in 2,469 Posts
firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default ...

I agree with boots13. Its that time! Polish the chrome and crank the bike up!

Also always assume the oncoming vehicles may not see you, looking out for the sudden left hand turn.

Ride safe!

T
firegal is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 06:19 PM   #44
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Boots13 View Post

It's biking time...

So, quickie reminders:

-stay out of blind spots
Excellent tips!! Thanks

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 08:47 PM   #45
Scuba

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Flying Solo

Thanked 8,048 Times in 1,618 Posts
Scuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST ReputationScuba Has the BEST Reputation

BTW I'll be moving the bike out this weekend to buff her up, change the oil and put fresh gas in

~~Bob Richardson~~
Scuba is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Scuba For This Useful Post:
Old 03-14-2013, 08:58 PM   #46
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:

1 Highscore

firegal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputationfiregal Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

what taking the snow tires off too! lol

You definately have some scenery that makes the ride there pretty friggin awesome!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 09:05 AM   #47
-Red-Flag-

How Do You Identify?:
.Butch.

Thanked 3,609 Times in 929 Posts
-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation

bumps this up .. cause.. ... its the east coast and we are getting another snow storm this week

I am envious of you west coasters that can already ride ...

I've bought almost all of the accouterments for my new bike.. and then we are good to go..

You will always be fond of me. I represent all the sins you never had the courage to commit.--Oscar Wilde

Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power.--Oscar Wilde

I want to fill my mouth with your name.— Pablo Neruda

-Red-Flag- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to -Red-Flag- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2013, 02:05 PM   #48
-Red-Flag-

How Do You Identify?:
.Butch.

Thanked 3,609 Times in 929 Posts
-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation-Red-Flag- Has the BEST Reputation

Mid 50's for us east coasters, going to register the new ride this upcoming week ... whoohoo..

You will always be fond of me. I represent all the sins you never had the courage to commit.--Oscar Wilde

Everything in the world is about sex, except sex. Sex is about power.--Oscar Wilde

I want to fill my mouth with your name.— Pablo Neruda

-Red-Flag- is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to -Red-Flag- For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2013, 02:16 PM   #49
firegal

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:

1 Highscore

Member Photo Albums
Default ....

70's and sunny tomorrow in the great pacific northwest.

Crank em up and hit the road folks....be safe
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to firegal For This Useful Post:
Old 06-09-2013, 05:33 PM   #50
psykftm

How Do You Identify?:
FtM
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
single, healing

psykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputation

Was wondering where all the bikers were at, just found this thread!

I've never owned a car, just motorcycles (2) and have been riding for about 2 years. I have a 2004 honda rebel 250cc, out of commission due to myself, and a 1994 honda shadow 600cc from hell. I donno if anyone has ever owned a bike that constantly has problems, but it has cost me my entire savings.
I love motorcycles though and they might be all I ever own
psykftm is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to psykftm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-10-2013, 10:10 PM   #51
QueenofSmirks

How Do You Identify?:
Just Me
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Busy

1 Highscore

Thanked 2,920 Times in 879 Posts
QueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST ReputationQueenofSmirks Has the BEST Reputation

I sold my bike before moving to Phoenix almost 3 years ago. I would love to get another but I barely have time for everything I already do, and a bike would be just another thing I wouldn't have time for. Maybe once I finish school I will finally have time to ride again! I miss it so much!

"There is only one success - to be able to spend your life in your own way." Christopher Morley
QueenofSmirks is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to QueenofSmirks For This Useful Post:
Old 06-12-2013, 09:35 PM   #52
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm a woman. Behave accordingly.
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Thanked 7,150 Times in 1,206 Posts
CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by psykbutch View Post
Was wondering where all the bikers were at, just found this thread!

I've never owned a car, just motorcycles (2) and have been riding for about 2 years. I have a 2004 honda rebel 250cc, out of commission due to myself, and a 1994 honda shadow 600cc from hell. I donno if anyone has ever owned a bike that constantly has problems, but it has cost me my entire savings.
I love motorcycles though and they might be all I ever own
I ride as much as I can, and I do alot of the wrenching on my bikes, too. What's going wrong with the Shadow? Both of your bikes are usually very reliable.
Old 06-14-2013, 02:52 PM   #53
psykftm

How Do You Identify?:
FtM
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
single, healing

psykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputationpsykftm Has the BEST Reputation

Well the shadow works sometimes and then doesnt in the next moment. I've actually come to hate that bike The thing makes me feel like I'm crazy when it breaks down and then my bike mechanic rides it to his shop.

Currently, I just got it out of the shop for lose battery connection and some new spark plugs, then a day after I got it home, it would warm up then die when I pulled the throttle. I got a ride to work that night, yet the next morning it started and I rode it 12 miles and back. Next time I tired it...pulled the throttle after it warmed up, it died. Right this second if I went out there it would work though. I hope.

It has done phantom stuff like that for the year I've had it. One time I told my mechanic it was leaking gas, so the mechanic has it in his shop all day...no problems. It was late though so he decided he would just call me in the morning to come get it. When he opened shop the next day, there was gas all over the floor. I got lucky, but most of the time it makes me look crazy. I got "honeyed" the other day about a conversation about how to start the bike...I'm ready to sell it. If I did, I would get another honda shadow though, hopefully normal one. This shadow only has 1 down three up instead of normal bikes with 1 down four up, you have to take the gas tank off and then some to get to the battery. What else....the petcock has the shittiest design ever and if you turn it too much, it leaks. That's actually the biggest problem, everything else is whatever, but I sure do miss that rebel even though its smaller.

On the otherside, I am a new rider. I didn't realize you we're supposed to warm a bike up with the choke even during the summer, thought that was a winter thing. And I also prefer to park and start my bike from first gear, which I've learned that its hard on the starter and battery. When I got the bike it warmed up just fine- no choke, in first gear with the kickstand up, now it ONLY starts in neutral...and sometimes only starts without the choke (warm weather?)

This was probably a lot of information but I guess I needed the rant, so thanks for asking

Last edited by psykftm; 06-14-2013 at 03:00 PM. Reason: more ranting
The Following User Says Thank You to psykftm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2013, 08:27 PM   #54
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

CherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST ReputationCherylNYC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Well the shadow works sometimes and then doesnt in the next moment. I've actually come to hate that bike The thing makes me feel like I'm crazy when it breaks down and then my bike mechanic rides it to his shop.

Currently, I just got it out of the shop for lose battery connection and some new spark plugs, then a day after I got it home, it would warm up then die when I pulled the throttle. I got a ride to work that night, yet the next morning it started and I rode it 12 miles and back. Next time I tired it...pulled the throttle after it warmed up, it died. Right this second if I went out there it would work though. I hope.

It has done phantom stuff like that for the year I've had it. One time I told my mechanic it was leaking gas, so the mechanic has it in his shop all day...no problems. It was late though so he decided he would just call me in the morning to come get it. When he opened shop the next day, there was gas all over the floor. I got lucky, but most of the time it makes me look crazy. I got "honeyed" the other day about a conversation about how to start the bike...I'm ready to sell it. If I did, I would get another honda shadow though, hopefully normal one. This shadow only has 1 down three up instead of normal bikes with 1 down four up, you have to take the gas tank off and then some to get to the battery. What else....the petcock has the shittiest design ever and if you turn it too much, it leaks. That's actually the biggest problem, everything else is whatever, but I sure do miss that rebel even though its smaller.

On the otherside, I am a new rider. I didn't realize you we're supposed to warm a bike up with the choke even during the summer, thought that was a winter thing. And I also prefer to park and start my bike from first gear, which I've learned that its hard on the starter and battery. When I got the bike it warmed up just fine- no choke, in first gear with the kickstand up, now it ONLY starts in neutral...and sometimes only starts without the choke (warm weather?)

This was probably a lot of information but I guess I needed the rant, so thanks for asking
Wow. You're right that your Shadow sounds like a lemon. Intermittent problems are sooo annoying, but you didn't need me to tell you that.

When a bike mysteriously cuts in and out one of the first places I look is at the battery and starter motor terminals. It's an easy fix, and those fasteners do like to walk out. It sounds like you did have that problem, but it should have been corrected by your mechanic. The next place I look is the sidestand interlock. That's the switch that keeps your bike from starting when the sidestand is down. It's in a position to invite failure because it's close to the ground, so it can get coated with road gorp and rust, etc. It would be something to ask your mechanic to check if you aren't confident about finding it yourself.

If the bike is dying when you throttle up, then it's likely there's a problem with the carbeuration/fuel injection. I always check the easiest thing first, so I look at the air filter to make sure small animals haven't been nesting in there. If your air filter is unobstructed, you may have some crap in the gas that's clogging something. Try running Gumout through your fuel system.

As you probably already know, a bike can have multiple problems, and that can be confusing because you can't be certain which symptom belongs to which problem. It's great when you can identify and solve at least one problem so you can start picking them off separately. I hope this helps.
Old 06-19-2013, 03:02 PM   #55
psykftm

How Do You Identify?:
FtM
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
single, healing

Thanks for the info about the sidestand interlock, I might end up going that route if I continue to have problems. Right now the bike is feigning health-starts up fine, runs, hasn't shut off when I pulled the throttle in a long time. It's dragging when its up to speed though/doesn't feel as powerful as when I first got the carbs all rebuilt three months ago. And it back fires when I'm sitting at stop lights and adds one loud bang when I turn it off. I'm running gas cleaner through it hoping it helps.

Yeah I don't even know what a motor terminal is lol. I think what I need to do is sit there and watch youtube videos and see if I can start fixing it myself. The most I've ever done is take the carb out of my rebel and put it back in after someone else cleaned it. They probably had to calibrate it too, not something I know how to do either at the moment. Would be fun to learn all that stuff though
The Following User Says Thank You to psykftm For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 07:23 PM   #56
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

Quote:
Thanks for the info about the sidestand interlock, I might end up going that route if I continue to have problems. Right now the bike is feigning health-starts up fine, runs, hasn't shut off when I pulled the throttle in a long time. It's dragging when its up to speed though/doesn't feel as powerful as when I first got the carbs all rebuilt three months ago. And it back fires when I'm sitting at stop lights and adds one loud bang when I turn it off. I'm running gas cleaner through it hoping it helps.

Yeah I don't even know what a motor terminal is lol. I think what I need to do is sit there and watch youtube videos and see if I can start fixing it myself. The most I've ever done is take the carb out of my rebel and put it back in after someone else cleaned it. They probably had to calibrate it too, not something I know how to do either at the moment. Would be fun to learn all that stuff though
I hope the gas cleaner works. It's hard to tell without seeing and hearing it, but it sounds like your bike has more than one problem. Suddenly and intermittently cutting out is most likely to be a electrical problem. Losing power and backfiring is most certainly a carbeuration issue.

When gas isn't fully burned in the top end, the remaining fumes detonate elsewhere. That backfire you're hearing is unburned gas exploding in your exhaust system. That's never good. It could be that one cylinder isn't firing, a clogged air filter, or a stuck needle in your carburetor. (Or is this bike fuel injected?)

To check if all cylinders are firing, start the bike up when the engine is cold. Feel the header pipes just after you start the bike, before everything gets too hot to touch. You can even put a dot of spit on each one. If one pipe gets hot and the other one doesn't, then you know that you're not firing on all cylinders.

Good luck!
Old 06-19-2013, 08:05 PM   #57
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

four years ago today I was in a serious motorcycle accident because someone cut me off a concussion tripod facial fracture bleeding and swelling on the brain at first they thought I was dead thank god for a hard head and a good helmet my bike was a total loss and I have not got another one yet my kiddo asked me to wait till she was older be careful out there my friends
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 06-19-2013, 08:52 PM   #58
asphaltcowboi

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
HAPPY

7 Highscores

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,042 Posts
asphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bard View Post
four years ago today I was in a serious motorcycle accident because someone cut me off a concussion tripod facial fracture bleeding and swelling on the brain at first they thought I was dead thank god for a hard head and a good helmet my bike was a total loss and I have not got another one yet my kiddo asked me to wait till she was older be careful out there my friends
theres two kinds of bikers those that have been down and those that are going down
been down here
looking for time to clean my bike(cant ride dirty) ang get some time in before monsoon hits az.. just about year round riding in az tho.. my new puppy is keeping me home and busy for now but still looking forward to some road time.
Old 06-23-2013, 04:40 PM   #59
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

I live in such a cool neighbourhood! Many bikers live here, plus Harbor Freight just opened a half mile away. Yay!!

I've been trying not to walk down the aisle with the motorcycle lifts. For better or worse, the cashier just gave me a coupon for 25% off on the 4th of July.
Old 06-30-2013, 06:14 PM   #60
CherylNYC

How Do You Identify?:
Stonefemme lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single, not looking.

I just woke up from my post celebratory nap. LGBT Pride in NYC was very special today, indeed. Everyone was feeling triumphant about the recent SCOTUS decision on DOMA, and it didn't even rain on our parade. Well, not much, anyway. We led the way on our motorcycles, just as we have for the last 26 years. I wore something spangly and fabulous, including opalescent lavender pink sandals with 4" stiletto heels. Yes, I can ride in them, and they posed no impediment to me standing up on the pegs and waving madly at the happy crowds with my free hand most of the way down the Parade route, as usual.

We had fewer bikes this time, probably due to threats of thunderstorms. As we've done for the last five years, the Sirens sponsored food and drinks for all the riders. A member of our club recently started a food truck business, so we were lucky to have Hot Dog Donna catering our post-Pride ride lunch.

I've heard it said for years that the motorcycle contingent leading the way down 5th Ave. is one of the best things about the Pride Parade. Many women spectators tell us that we're by far their favourite part. The crowd certainly goes wild when they see us. I can't adequately describe the feeling of euphoria. The other riders are equally unable to say why it's always so very special for us.

If you're anywhere near NYC on the last Sunday in June next year I encourage you to join us. The Sirens Women's Motorcycle Club organises the motorcycle contingent which is open to all riders of all genders and all orientations.

Now that I'm recharged and refreshed I'm going to put on some slightly more sensible clothes and ride back out to see our special Pride fireworks display over the Hudson.

Tags
bikes, riding