Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Thinking Harder

Old 02-15-2016, 06:08 PM   #1
Bubala

How Do You Identify?:
Lady Sunflower
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her

Thanked 1,669 Times in 615 Posts
Bubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST ReputationBubala Has the BEST Reputation
Default What do you want to do when you grow up?

Lately, I have been thinking about my own liberally eclectic approach to life... I have always been a nerd and a wonderer of sorts. I do everything "right" by the book, I got educated, I know how to hold a job down and pay my bills, etc.
However, I do acknowledge certain lack of focus in my life.

Some ppl know what they want from the get go, they go straight for it, settle down and are just fine being stuck in the same life choices, same career, same job, same kind of life, they are content with the only way of existence they know of. Stability is something I never had, and frankly at this point it might be something I may not be able to handle, I wouldn't know how.

Turning 30 triggered a huge panic call in my brain -I felt like OMG you are 30 and you haven't done anything with your life!!! The truth of the matter is that by the age of 30 I've traveled half of the world, lived in 10 countries on 3 continents, survived 3 wars, gone through military service, obtained one undergrad and two graduate degrees, learned to speak 7 languages (ok only 4 properly), etc.

Some would say that should be enough shouldn't it? I cannot help it, I cannot shake off the feeling that I still haven't found what I'm looking for...

I'm still chasing something, not even sure what, how or where it might be, I'm still on my own crazy nomadic quest to beat the time , the short time we have to spend on this earth, I still keep on running, keep chasing more utopic dreams, further and further, mind over matter, passion over stability. When should this end? Should I cut down the roots of this childish wondering once and for all?

By when should one know what they want to do when they grow up?

What do you want to do when you grow up?
Or ever better have you grown up? How do you know you have, who or what told you or told on you?

Please please please do share your respectful thoughts with me. Any and all insights will be highly appreciated. Thank you.
Bubala is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Bubala For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 07:41 PM   #2
Gayandgray

How Do You Identify?:
Femme-ish, tomboy lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Together a really long time

Thanked 12,914 Times in 3,079 Posts
Gayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST ReputationGayandgray Has the BEST Reputation

Here I will be 47 in a couple months and I still don't know what I want to be when I "grow up"!!!!!!! LOL! Seriously, I feel like I have not accomplished much and I'm kinda going through a mid-life crisis or something........
Old 04-30-2016, 07:47 PM   #3
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,326 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation
Default What to do

My career is perfect, I am living the dream. As for the growing up part I am still working on that. No matter how old I get there is a young guy in my heart and in my smile.

Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2016, 08:05 PM   #4
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,265 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

I'll be 71 this summer. I'm thinking that in about 30 years I might want to start a family, have a few kids, maybe buy a bungalow.
C0LLETTE is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 05-18-2016, 03:25 AM   #5
MasterfulButch

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Charming the love of my life.

MasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST ReputationMasterfulButch Has the BEST Reputation

It made me smile to see this thread as we've currently got an advertising campaign running where a celebrity sits down with all manner of people and asks them what they want to be when they grow up. Most laugh at him initially, particularly the white-haired ones, but then they realise he is quite serious and you see their reaction change. It's left me pondering the question too as well as my assumption that it no longer applied to me.

I feel like like there's a sense of finality to that question, as though you're trying to reach one particular goal and then you're done. It puts a lot of pressure on making sure that goal is the right one and that you're taking a suitably direct route to get there. It also fails to take into account how you may change as you journey through life.

My current thinking is about changing the question rather than trying to answer it. What about if instead of 'what do you want to be when you grow up' we just said 'great, what next'?

MasterfulButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to MasterfulButch For This Useful Post: