christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation
Default Where we come from...

Or rather, where Jess is from… funerals are the social event lil ole ladies have been preparing for since birth. Based on my limited experience with funerals in this area of the world, I have decided that its like a pageant and a point system is involved.

Last fall, when Jess’s stepdad died, we were here. At 2:30 AM, the director of the local funeral home is standing in the den and for some reason, singles me out. Here I am, in my jimmies, trying to fade into the background as all Howard’s siblings are coming in droves. The nice fella in a suit (who the hell wears a suit at 2 in the morning), says to me, “So we have some folding chairs and a coffee urn we can bring by and I need to know what time we can come with the wreath and the signs.” In my head, I am thinking, “Signs?!?!? What is he talking about?” Not wanting to appear stupid, my reply was something about we would figure that out and let him know when we came by the funeral home later.”

He was no sooner out the door than I had Jess cornered asking about the signs. I thought it rather soon for an estate sale. LOL Jess had no more a clue than I did.

I called my mother – she is from a small town. She said, “Signs?!?!? Are they having a yard sale?” LOL

I called my office and took a poll. Not one person had a clue about the signs.

Turns out that lil sammich board signs with the words, “Slow. Funeral in progress” are placed in front of your house, about 100 ft before and after, as well as a white ribboned wreath is placed on the house so as to notify all the locals that the point system has begun.

Not one moment past 5:30 am and the lil ole bluehairs are lined up outside the front door, cream of somethin’ casseroles in hand, plowing one another down in the race to get to the kitchen first to sign the register and lament about the character of Jess’s stepdad. Anyone who knows me knows that I am not human until after a pot of coffee has been consumed and its at least 10am. My neck is hurting from all the nodding and my face feels numb from all the smiling.

As the parade of lil ole ladies and their casseroles appear, the rivers of coffee flow as my mother in law, who has spent the last month caring for my fatherinlaw 24 hours a day and looks like she is next in line for funeral services, sat in a chair and was doted over, her care and commitment to her husband is validated and the whole scene is very reminiscent to a queen sitting on her throne, receiving adoration from the minions.

Thank god Momma was planted in the chair because I am not sure she could have even stood up – and the ironic part to me is that the procession, in all of their goodness and efforts, just didn’t take the hint that she needed to rest… she didn’t need another piece of cake, another cup of coffee.

Everyone tells us just what a saint Momma is and just how very tired she looks. I bite my lips nearly off in the attempts to not ask them why the fuck they don’t go home so she can just rest.

For three days, the pageant continued, the droves of people far and wide ensuring that their names have been recorded as well as their food contributions so that the correct number of points are allocated. Momma continued to reign, refusing to sleep, reveling in the attention and validation that her sacrifices have surely assured her a place in martyrdom.

When the signs and wreath are taken down, and the people stop the procession, its rather anticlimactic and she seemed a little let down. I kept waiting and waiting for an announcement in the local paper as to the rankings of the locals and the points to date.

I still wonder where the points are recorded.

While I do make a joke out of the entire event, I was rather impressed and humbled with the whole affair – that when we leave this world, our existence will be celebrated, our efforts acknowledged and that its not all been for naught – at least where we come from.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 10:03 AM   #22
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
The original lime-twisted femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
I answer to most things, especially lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Thanked 11,425 Times in 2,978 Posts
NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny View Post
Where I'm from, a trip to the beach is called "going down the shore." Jughandles are the only way to turn left on most highways, and you know that the turn for said jughandle could come before OR after the intersection where you want to go left.

People think our state is industrial, overcrowded, and ugly, but nearly everyone I know who has visited here has been shocked by how beautiful it is. Where I'm from, you can find beaches, mountains and farmland, all within a drive of an hour or two. You can also get into two major cities within a couple of hours at most.

There are 24 hour diners everywhere, and they all look pretty much the same, and you can get the most fabulous bagels here as well. Where I'm from, you know what a "benny" is, and people will make fun of the way you say "water."

I love it here. Just sayin'.
All you had to say was "jughandle" and "down the shore" I knew you were from Jersey. Takes one to know one.

NJFemmie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 10:15 AM   #23
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

NJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST ReputationNJFemmie Has the BEST Reputation

On one hand, I often want to forget where I am from - but at the same time, I consider myself blessed.

My parents came here from WWII Germany to Jersey City, NJ at a time where it progressively became one of the worse areas to live. I grew up in an area that was constantly under the sounds of police sirens, gang wars and excessive homelessness. Growing up there was an eye opening experience to the good, the bad and the indifferent. It was also an area rich in ethnicity - from foods, culture, and ways of living. Almost any type of ethnic food can be found within a two-mile radius. I am blessed because it opened my mind and gave me a sense of understanding that can reach many different levels. That which doesn't kill you, truly does make you stronger, lol. I regret none of it, but at the same time, you won't catch me back in Jersey City voluntarily either. I've spent enough of my years there.

Where I live now is peaceful and serene in comparison. No matter which direction you drive, you will eventually stumble upon farmland and skies that are not obstructed by tall buildings. There are cows and horses just about everywhere. (I realized recently that I haven't seen a pigeon in over three years, lol.) It did take me some time to get used to jughandles and I still find it hard to wrap the concept of the shore being north of here, so I still say "down the shore" every now and then. I still carry the Jersey City mentality, but it has come in useful on many occasions. I say cawfee with great pride.

Our tomatoes ROCK.

The Following User Says Thank You to NJFemmie For This Useful Post:
Old 11-23-2009, 10:35 AM   #24
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation
Default St. Augustine, FL.

Where I'm from......

You can buy your flip flops at your local gas station
Nobody's in a hurry to get anywhere.
Wearing your swimsuit under your work clothes is a must for the after work dip in the ocean.
The Historical Society rules the town.
Many of the residents save money by living in houseboats.

Duchess
Old 11-23-2009, 08:22 PM   #25
jenny

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Relationship Status:
inquire within

Thanked 1,594 Times in 579 Posts
jenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJFemmie View Post
All you had to say was "jughandle" and "down the shore" I knew you were from Jersey. Takes one to know one.
Ha!!! I love it when people visit from other states, and totally don't get how to make a left hand turn across a highway, because there's "no left turn" signs everywhere... And it's even better when they eventually admit that jughandles make sense!!!

*waves at the other Jersey girl!*

“Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-23-2009, 09:30 PM   #26
Trishagee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme

Trishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST ReputationTrishagee Has the BEST Reputation
Default Where I am from

things are ofte not the norm...

It's 80 degrees on Thanksgiving...

Waldo from Family Matters hangs out at the local Trader Joes...

If you go to Denny's on Saturday morning the gays out number the straights...

The freeways are more congested during a holiday week than normal...
Old 11-23-2009, 09:33 PM   #27
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by jenny View Post
Ha!!! I love it when people visit from other states, and totally don't get how to make a left hand turn across a highway, because there's "no left turn" signs everywhere... And it's even better when they eventually admit that jughandles make sense!!!

*waves at the other Jersey girl!*
I used to find them annoying, but they do make sense. And everyone is not all over the place trying to cut across highways.

I have to admit, there is less chaotic traffic down here.

*waving back*

Old 11-23-2009, 09:45 PM   #28
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

Where I am...there are NO self-serve gas stations (in fact, it is illegal to pump your own gas!)

*waves to the other Jersey girls*
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 11-24-2009, 07:08 AM   #29
NJFemmie

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Still loving my Mare ;)

3 Highscores

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post
Where I am...there are NO self-serve gas stations (in fact, it is illegal to pump your own gas!)

Cuz that's how we roll .....

*waves back*

Old 11-24-2009, 03:50 PM   #30
jenny

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme
Relationship Status:
inquire within

Thanked 1,594 Times in 579 Posts
jenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputationjenny Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by always2late View Post

*waves back atcha!*

My oldest daughter (nearly 20) has a tee shirt that says "Jersey girls don't pump gas." Cracks me up!

“Life's most persistent and urgent question is: 'What are you doing for others?'”
~ Martin Luther King, Jr.
jenny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 03:58 PM   #31
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

the best BBQ is sold out of an old gas station that was converted into a restaurant
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2009, 04:08 PM   #32
Duchess

How Do You Identify?:
Absolute Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Toe curling :-)

2 Highscores

Thanked 5,591 Times in 1,521 Posts
Duchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST ReputationDuchess Has the BEST Reputation
Default Where I'm from....

~Shrimp boats are almost as common as cars
~The Fountain of Youth, Ripley's Museum and the Castillo de San Marcos are popular attractions.
~The drive thru bar where I purchased my first cocktail is still open. You literally can drive thru, order a cocktail, then drive across the street to the beach.
~Seeing a gator cross the street is no big deal

Duchess
Old 11-24-2009, 04:18 PM   #33
NotAnAverageGuy
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Trans

NotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the roughNotAnAverageGuy is a jewel in the rough

Braums Ice Cream reigns supreme

Ugh I need to visit home soon, I miss Braums and I need to do a graveside talk with my grandparents.
NotAnAverageGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-17-2010, 05:21 AM   #34
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
I usually just poke it with a stick.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

Thanked 21,385 Times in 4,808 Posts
dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation
Default Where I'm from...

We have an "old timey day" kinda thing that will be happening next weekend. (There's also one in the spring.) I guarantee that there will be butter churning, soap making, quilting and many other various "old timey" things going on. And that most all of the folks will be dressed in period costumes...
dixie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 05:29 AM   #35
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
We have an "old timey day" kinda thing that will be happening next weekend. (There's also one in the spring.) I guarantee that there will be butter churning, soap making, quilting and many other various "old timey" things going on. And that most all of the folks will be dressed in period costumes...
How funny. Our Old Timers Day is this weekend. Wonder if it's like in September all over the country? Or just the south? hmmmm
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 05:31 AM   #36
christie

How Do You Identify?:
A Force with which to be reckoned
Preferred Pronoun?:
just be nice...
Relationship Status:
I call her Mine

Thanked 2,476 Times in 706 Posts
christie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputationchristie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dixielady View Post
HA! This sounds like our lil spot in the road all the time!

If not for a trip to Nashville this weekend, I would likely be starting a denim quilt that has been on the to-do list for quite some time.

I used to love ole timey days! Sounds like you will have fun.
christie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to christie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 05:32 AM   #37
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

dixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputationdixie Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by pajara2 View Post
How funny. Our Old Timers Day is this weekend. Wonder if it's like in September all over the country? Or just the south? hmmmm
Hmmm... I don't know...

Here's something that my county's website says:
"As you drive the back roads of Yancey County, you will find such quaint names as Bee Log, Hardscrabble, Pig Pen, Possum Trot and Rabbit Hop. Old mountain ways mingle with the new. We are firmly rooted in the past and growing toward the future. A great way of life and a wonderful place to live."

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 05:40 AM   #38
dixie
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Bitch
Relationship Status:
Intertwined deeply

I just flipped a page on the county website. It was the genealogy of the county. They only have two family names listed. Mine is one of them. That's just slightly creepy in some odd way. *insert banjo music here*
The Following User Says Thank You to dixie For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 06:35 AM   #39
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Next weekend is our county fair.They have renamed it the county "cultural" fair. This area is deeply ( DEEPLY) rooted in self sufficiency and many of the cultural history aspects are definitely centered around things that involved homemaking and preserving.
This area is also very rich in its history of music making. We are on the Crooked Road, and chock full of bluegrass musicians and "old timey gospel".

We're actually looking forward to going and meeting some of our older community because they are a dying breed. With all of the good and bad aspects of previous generations, we are losing them.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2010, 07:11 AM   #40
skeeter_01

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hey you!
Relationship Status:
Sleeping single in a double bed..

skeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputationskeeter_01 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
There is cornbread (REAL cornbread, not this Jiffy crap they have up here)

where i come from...the jiffy mix plant is right down the road in chelsea

where i come from...the streets downtown are not passable 6 saturdays from late august through mid november because of home football games (GO BLUE!!)...

where i come from we have zingermans deli www.zingermans.com

the home base of dominos pizza is here...

the largest juried art fair in the US is held here where i come from...

there is a week in early september called "move in week" when the students come back to town after their summer break...locals HATE move in week!!..truth be told...locals aren't too crazy about the students any week of the year! lol!!

skeet

Texting while driving is a real KILLER!!!

‎"It takes hundreds of nuts to hold a car together...but it takes only one nut to scatter them all over the highway..."
Jeff PARAMEDIC
skeeter_01 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to skeeter_01 For This Useful Post: