Old 03-29-2010, 10:46 PM   #81
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,783 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Like Greyson, I came from the school of thought (and literature), that butch was a gender separate from woman and man. One was neither woman nor man, but just simply butch. The noun. If you said that you were a butch woman, then you were using butch as an adjective and not as a noun (a gender).

When I came to B/F.com (late 1990's), I noticed that the above was not the case. Subsequently, I did not identify as "simply butch" on said site, as I am not a woman.
I use butch as a noun for myself not as an adjective, and I am a woman also.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-29-2010, 11:38 PM   #82
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,830 Times in 3,200 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I may be double-gendered..... female & butch.... which is how I view myself in terms of being female-other. This feels like a sub-identification of butch to me.

When is all said & done, my guess is that there are many genders!

multiplistc boink...
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2010, 09:57 AM   #83
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
I use butch as a noun for myself not as an adjective, and I am a woman also.

BullDog, do you use woman as a noun also and not a descriptor, adjective? I am asking this question in the spirit of seeking understanding. It's not meant to be a slander of some sort.

I use the words "Transmasculine Butch" to attempt to identify my gender with some clarity. Transpmasculine is an adjective, Butch is a noun. Transmasculine offers some insight to my belief that I fit somewhere on the spectrum of Transgender and have taken steps to move toward the legal recognition of my "otherness." Unfortunately, in our current legal system, in most countries there is only the option of being recognized legally as a man or woman.

There is one exception that I am aware of and that is because Linus posted a link with a story about a person born as a cisgender man, transitioned to become female, then decided that she/he was non-gendered. England did grant this person legal status as non-gendered.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 10:21 AM   #84
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
BullDog, do you use woman as a noun also and not a descriptor, adjective? I am asking this question in the spirit of seeking understanding. It's not meant to be a slander of some sort.

I use the words "Transmasculine Butch" to attempt to identify my gender with some clarity. Transpmasculine is an adjective, Butch is a noun. Transmasculine offers some insight to my belief that I fit somewhere on the spectrum of Transgender and have taken steps to move toward the legal recognition of my "otherness." Unfortunately, in our current legal system, in most countries there is only the option of being recognized legally as a man or woman.

There is one exception that I am aware of and that is because Linus posted a link with a story about a person born as a cisgender man, transitioned to become female, then decided that she/he was non-gendered. England did grant this person legal status as non-gendered.
Yes, both Butch and Woman are nouns. Thank you for the clarification on transmasculine.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
Old 03-30-2010, 12:54 PM   #85
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:

And this needs to change! So many are simply being cast back into the binary because of this. It negates who they are as a kind of double-whammy, or a Catch-22!

This is so very interesting! Thanks, Linus! Needs to be many, many, more exceptions!
Old 03-30-2010, 01:10 PM   #86
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

I have never understood why our genders or biological sex (whatever they may be) need to have a legal status to begin with.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following User Says Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 01:23 PM   #87
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
I have never understood why our genders or biological sex (whatever they may be) need to have a legal status to begin with.

That is a very excellent point. I have wondered myself but this is the current reality I/we live in and I try to thrive in. I think this need to codify ones gender and/or biological sex is most likely grounded, and mired in patriarchy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 01:35 PM   #88
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
That is a very excellent point. I have wondered myself but this is the current reality I/we live in and I try to thrive in. I think this need to codify ones gender and/or biological sex is most likely grounded, and mired in patriarchy.
Absolutely rooted in patriarchy! And male-dominated jurisprudence. Not all that long ago, historically (speaking about modern western cultures, as this is still true in some other cultures), women could not own property, including children they bore! They could not divorce ... or vote (not until 1920 in the US)!
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 02:20 PM   #89
imperfect_cupcake

How Do You Identify?:
feminine dolly dyke
Preferred Pronoun?:
Your Grace
Relationship Status:
I put my own care first

Thanked 9,727 Times in 1,613 Posts
imperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputationimperfect_cupcake Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Absolutely rooted in patriarchy! And male-dominated jurisprudence. Not all that long ago, historically (speaking about modern western cultures, as this is still true in some other cultures), women could not own property, including children they bore! They could not divorce ... or vote (not until 1920 in the US)!
Or even buy a couch or a car, have a bank account, etc without a husband's signature even in the early 60's.

and people have no use for feminism. *teeth suck*
imperfect_cupcake is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to imperfect_cupcake For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 03:52 PM   #90
Jess
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
decidedly indifferent
Preferred Pronoun?:
other

Thanked 5,703 Times in 1,684 Posts
Jess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST ReputationJess Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by honeybarbara View Post
Or even buy a couch or a car, have a bank account, etc without a husband's signature even in the early 60's.

and people have no use for feminism. *teeth suck*
they also could not have hysterectomy's or have other "sterilizing" procedures without consent from husband, even when it was medically advised.
Jess is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Jess For This Useful Post:
Old 03-30-2010, 04:08 PM   #91
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,107 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
they also could not have hysterectomy's or have other "sterilizing" procedures without consent from husband, even when it was medically advised.
I personally think it's a terrible shame and crime that this still goes on in some countries and cultures.

Last edited by Kenna; 03-30-2010 at 04:09 PM. Reason: sorry I posted in the Butch zone... just felt the overwhelming feeling to put this out there...
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 03-31-2010, 11:08 AM   #92
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jess View Post
There was a special on PBS the other night tracing the steps to Roe v. Wade that brings this to light in so many ways. The whole manner in which women had no say over anything having to do with their bodies. It also brought to light how WOC joined forces in the Feminist Movement as they (along with any poor women) were mostly subject to back-room abortion.

OK, we have derailed the thread!

Now that I think about it, however, if we did live in a perfect world and the binary was NOT used as a legal designation for gender..... how would this play out in terms of women's rights? I'd like to think that this could banish the tenets of male priviledge, but, would it? Seems possible.... but, would it in terms of the obvious gender related wealth and power that lies in the hands of men?

If trangendered and intergendered really became legal gender designations (which I believe should be), would we see (speaking of the US, here) a redistribution of wealth and power based upon gender?
Old 11-11-2010, 01:29 AM   #93
swagger

How Do You Identify?:
butch daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
i dont care.
Relationship Status:
happy

swagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputationswagger Has the BEST Reputation

the more i think about gender, as opposed to sex, the more i suspect myself of having no gender. seriously.
Old 11-22-2010, 09:44 PM   #94
noneoftheabove

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
don't care

noneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputationnoneoftheabove Has the BEST Reputation

I really like this thread. I can't relate to man or woman either. In my head I have a male body but I am ok with having a physically female body. Somehow my brain is not registering this as a problem, and I have little to no dysphoria. I prefer he because it refers to the male that I see myself as but she is OK with me as long as it is referring to just my surface. I've been more uncomfortable to the people's reactions around me to the pronouns I've been called than to the pronouns themselves.
noneoftheabove is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to noneoftheabove For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 12:55 AM   #95
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I'm new, and somehow stumbled into this thread.

I am biologically female, but not a woman. I have a strong streak of masculinity in me, but I am not a man. As far back as I can remember, even before realizing I was lesbian, I knew I didn't fit into "girl" or "boy". It's not about transitioning into an "opposite", but realizing that I am both and neither.

I feel that gender isn't all-one or all the other, but is a kind of continuum. I would go as far as to say that I believe there are more than three genders, that don't necessarily manifest themselves in appearance but are on the inside. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but that's OK; it only has to make sense to me.

When I first came out, I thought I had to "pick one"-butch or femme, and I couldn't fit 100% in either. So again, I am both and I am neither. I don't know if "andro" fits, or even if that word is still used. It feels a little unnerving, not having a box to check, so to speak, but on the other hand, it's liberating. I kind of like being open to whatever feels right on a given day.
Gráinne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gráinne For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 02:09 AM   #96
chefhottie25

How Do You Identify?:
boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
hy
Relationship Status:
happily taken

chefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputationchefhottie25 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metropolis View Post
I don't have a lot of time either Dapper, but you've brought up a good point.

For me being third gender, I don't think of myself as transgender so much, mostly because I feel myself as being of both sexes/genders... and that to me feels quite different than what I understand to be most TG experiences of feeling like the "opposite gender/sex in mind than in one is in body".

Third gender to me is difficult to explain, b/c in it like you, I'm not a woman and I'm not a man (gender)... but find my myself both male and female... and though I acknowledge my body as female and that's fine, I do tweak my body (bind etc. though I'm small chested already) to better fit my gender.

Anyway, to me that's a fairly big distinction, and why I (personally) separate transgender and third gender personally for myself... though I do know a couple peeps who do like you ID as TG as well in it.

So I go with the "similar, yet different" option... with overlap...

As far as genderqueer I think of it kind of an umbrella term and works for many TG and Third G peeps, but I don't use it myself because of that vagueness.

Right, genderless or gender neutral generally means being of an indifferential gender, and may feel gender "empty" and wear ambiguous, or gender vague clothing... think the gender neutral lesbian feminist type that emerged in the 70's and 80's.

That's not the same thing I've seen at all with most modern third gender (or pangender's Androgyne's) peeps or especially of the butch variety who consider themselves Third G or Other.

I know I feel quite the opposite of genderless, more like genderfull, having strong gender traits of both sexes psychologically and outwardly very strong gender markers (male) in my clothing and mannerisms.

Ok, have to run... pls forgive the loose exchanges of sex with gender but it's hard to navigate the subject with a language not set up to accommodate additional gender/s.
i agree with both of you. i feel genderfull too. i identify as a boi, but don't feel TG. I bind but not for passing purposes. I don't prefer being referred to as hy over she. i am both...or maybe neither. a good friend and i recently talked about third gender. she said that she views me as non gender conforming. that really seemed to fit me well. i often struggle to find a sense of belonging in the bf community because i don't identify as butch or femme or TG. My outward appearance and my personal care regiments are masculine. However, I do embrace my femme qualities emotionally. I exhibit and express feelings that would be described more as feminine. I feel like a boi but i don't feel like i want to transition. i am not meant to be a male...but i also don't feel female. it is very difficult to explain...and difficult for me to fully understand myself. i hope this thread will generate discourse that will help me to understand it.
chefhottie25 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to chefhottie25 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 11:48 AM   #97
Gryph

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married to a wonderful girl

Gryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST ReputationGryph Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post
I'm new, and somehow stumbled into this thread.

I am biologically female, but not a woman. I have a strong streak of masculinity in me, but I am not a man. As far back as I can remember, even before realizing I was lesbian, I knew I didn't fit into "girl" or "boy". It's not about transitioning into an "opposite", but realizing that I am both and neither.

I feel that gender isn't all-one or all the other, but is a kind of continuum. I would go as far as to say that I believe there are more than three genders, that don't necessarily manifest themselves in appearance but are on the inside. I don't know if any of this makes sense, but that's OK; it only has to make sense to me.

When I first came out, I thought I had to "pick one"-butch or femme, and I couldn't fit 100% in either. So again, I am both and I am neither. I don't know if "andro" fits, or even if that word is still used. It feels a little unnerving, not having a box to check, so to speak, but on the other hand, it's liberating. I kind of like being open to whatever feels right on a given day.
This is why I am a Two-Spirit. Except in my life right now and in the future. I am more masculine and do use the male pronouns. I have already been/done the femme/female, so its time for the other.

"The three things that bring the most balance into my life, Will, Intent and Purpose. With out these there is no honor." - Storm Cloud Woman
Gryph is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gryph For This Useful Post:
Old 02-01-2011, 03:37 PM   #98
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:
Single - gave up the farce

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by guihong View Post

You make sense to me, guihong.

I don't relate to masculine or feminine. Butch is plenty enough for me, except in situations where I use butch woman because I don't wish to be swept up as male identified. (I look "masculine" to some people's eye.)
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote