Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 06-13-2018, 06:37 PM   #7081
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,401 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, I'm wading in to comment on the 'timeout' thingy. I took a self-imposed timeout when we did the CD project. Breathless was the wrangler, I was living in China and very concerned my pieces wouldn't arrive on time so she graciously gave me the project info early. So early, that my project was almost winging its way to Breathless when it was posted for the initial sign-up. Breathless in turn sent our projects to one of our group (I can't remember who it was) who agreed to receive all the US participants AND divvy everything up and send the packets back to those who participated. Unfortunately, the packet Breathless sent to the US wrangler did not get received (actually, I don't know if it was ever received).

And NO ONE SAID ANYTHING!

I took it upon myself to take a timeout AND re-do the project at my own expense. I was extremely embarrassed however did feel better after it was received by each of the US participants. Even though NO ONE SAID ANYTHING I took the rules very seriously. I had no control over it and the others participating would not be getting my contribution. It doesn't matter 'why' it was late - that equates with 'timeout' according to our rules.

I'm going to do the 'Canadian thingy' that I hear others talk about and apologize if I sound a bit grumpy/cranky/perturbed. We have rules that we ALL agreed on at the time. We should follow them or re-visit the rules to modify them.

Deb (who is in desperate need of a cup of )

Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 07:02 PM   #7082
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,672 Times in 7,710 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Deb...I remember this project and that was what I was talking about when I said one project wasn't ever received...knowing how you must have felt, when no one got yours, so I said nothing, but I very much know...Besame was the one who volunteered to wrangle that for Breathless! I personally thanked you for the redo so we would get a project!
I did not think you should do a self imposed time out...but respected your choice. I did know, and I felt badly, for that untimely event! To my knowledge, no one ever got that particular package. It was well beyond your control however.

Anyway, I am sorry for not saying anything....sometimes, I feel I should be quiet, so as to not to sound like a rabble rouser.

I am sorry if we let you down by not saying anything, one way or another, and I think Gemme said it best, each wrangler has final say so, so to speak. I think each wrangler should shoulder the responsibility to keep things transparent, above board, and keep us all well aware of what & how things happen.
Please accept my humblest apology, Deb.....I am truly sorry we made you feel that way......hugs....
Quote:
Originally Posted by sis View Post
Well, I'm wading in to comment on the 'timeout' thingy. I took a self-imposed timeout when we did the CD project. Breathless was the wrangler, I was living in China and very concerned my pieces wouldn't arrive on time so she graciously gave me the project info early. So early, that my project was almost winging its way to Breathless when it was posted for the initial sign-up. Breathless in turn sent our projects to one of our group (I can't remember who it was) who agreed to receive all the US participants AND divvy everything up and send the packets back to those who participated. Unfortunately, the packet Breathless sent to the US wrangler did not get received (actually, I don't know if it was ever received).

I took it upon myself to take a timeout AND re-do the project at my own expense. I was extremely embarrassed however did feel better after it was received by each of the US participants. Even though NO ONE SAID ANYTHING I took the rules very seriously. I had no control over it and the others participating would not be getting my contribution. It doesn't matter 'why' it was late - that equates with 'timeout' according to our rules.

I'm going to do the 'Canadian thingy' that I hear others talk about and apologize if I sound a bit grumpy/cranky/perturbed. We have rules that we ALL agreed on at the time. We should follow them or re-visit the rules to modify them.

Old 06-13-2018, 08:12 PM   #7083
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,722 Times in 5,081 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

My opinion is:

Rules stay exact same and are followed precisely the same for everyone. If at the beginning of a project, someone from outside the US chimes in that they would appreciate an extra 2 weeks (or something that seems okay to everyone), I'm cool with that, but once the start date for the project is agreed on by everyone, the rules are firm.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 06-13-2018, 08:36 PM   #7084
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
My opinion is:

Rules stay exact same and are followed precisely the same for everyone. If at the beginning of a project, someone from outside the US chimes in that they would appreciate an extra 2 weeks (or something that seems okay to everyone), I'm cool with that, but once the start date for the project is agreed on by everyone, the rules are firm.
I like the way you think! Thanks nycfem

I agree wholeheartedly. It gets way too confusing...so
precise, clear, & simple...period!
Old 06-14-2018, 06:10 AM   #7085
nanners

How Do You Identify?:
her femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
girl
Relationship Status:
Blissfully married to the love of my life.

Thanked 4,832 Times in 1,064 Posts
nanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputationnanners Has the BEST Reputation

The projects are in the mail with the exception of Breathless’s because I don’t have her address yet. They should arrive on Saturday for most of you. I do have tracking numbers on all of them.

When I receive Breathless’s, I’ll send hers out to all of you and send yours to her.

I vote for keeping the rules as is and enforcing them. Adding an extra week for non-US mail is ok with me. Ya, just call this mostly sweet girl a hard ass. LOL!
nanners is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nanners For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 06:45 AM   #7086
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by candy_coated_bitch View Post
Thank you, clay! I learned my lesson LOL, now apply it to knowing I have to be on the front end of things or it won't get done.

I'd like to try and wrangle this next one. Gemme mentioned my Mermay project which was a challenge issued by artist Jane Davenport to create a mermaid for every day of the month of may. Each day had a different prompt, up to the person doing the artwork to interpret. I'd like to come up with a prompt and have everyone do an original work of art based on that prompt but I still have a little thinking about logistics and how to work out doing a project which is a larger undertaking.

I'm thinking each person makes and receives one original work of art, people to be randomly assigned. Sized the same, same prompt. But I just can't see doing an original work for an entire group of people. Also, it would allow for more people to participate because we won't have to be worried about creating 6, 7, 10 individual paintings.

Therefore this would be a project where we have to be REALLY careful to sign up for because you will leave your assigned partner emptyhanded if you don't follow through.

These are my initial thoughts. I am thinking either mermaids or unicorns. If I wrangle I decide and decide the prompt. That's the catch. :P
I, as you know, love this idea. I wouldn't have brought it up if I didn't. I vote for mermaids, if we're adding our input. I'm fine with you wrangling and I'm fine with you choosing the prompt and if there are mailing issues, I'm close enough to just drive the damn thing to you.

What size were you thinking?

Quote:

Honestly, I'd have to go back through the thread to find out how everything panned out but I do remember the project. I had a hard time with that one. Did you do the watermelon magnet? It's on my fridge but there's no name on the back.

Again, without going back to check I can't be 100% certain, but I think that you were very upfront about it all so there wasn't anything else to say. I could be wrong as it's been a while but I thought you were great about the whole situation and agree that we can't start bending the rules here and there because eventually the weak spots will break and it'll all go to Hell in a handbasket.

Some people don't take these projects as seriously as others. Maybe I take them too seriously. They are important to me and I know the time and thought that I put into them, even if the finished product doesn't look like it, so I respect the time and effort others put into their work as well. In fact, I still have EVERY project that I've participated in.

Maybe that's why I have so much crap in my craft room.

I think you make excellent points in the underlined text. If the majority want to tweak the rules, I have no problem working that out but am usually of the 'if it's not broke, don't fix it' mentality.

I went back to the first project I initiated here in January of 2010--it was a GREAT way to start off the New Year!--and the rules initially said that the projects must have a post date of a particular date.

If memory serves me, even when they had an 'on time' post date, projects were held up as they came in from different parts of the world and that's part of how we evolved into our current rules and time frames. We wanted to make sure that the participants knew exactly when their projects were due, exactly when they arrived, exactly when they would be put together and exactly when to expect them in their greedy little hands. Why participate if you didn't know if you were going to get anything back? So we worked those rules out.

The time outs came along because the process wasn't being completed in a timely manner. What was the ramification if one was late and held everyone else up? Nothing. So we did something about that so there was an incentive to get them in on time. That's how we got to the time out clause and it's worked without issue up to this point.

My fear is that we will begin to judge one another's situations. For example, I was late because my kid was in the hospital versus I was late because I lost my job and had to wait for funds to come in to mail it out, but it was done on time. Both situations SUCK and both could lead to projects being received late. IMO, both should take some time off. Granted, these are extreme examples but I think they need to be for my point to get across. I don't want to be put in that situation of having to choose who is more worthy of a 'free pass' (stealing Lyte's phrase). I respect all of my co-participants equally and don't want anyone to feel less than for any reason.

Quote:
My opinion is:

This is good! Beauty and brains.

Going forward, is everyone okay with making a modification to the time frame if we do it before the final sign up closes?

How it could work is CCB writes out her time frame for the Mer/corn Project and if sis wants to sign up, she'll add a note onto her name.

1. CCB
2. Gemme
3. nyc
4. clay
5. nan
6. sis----please add 7 days to the project for mailing?
7. Besame

so on and so forth

If no additional time is requested by the date of the final sign up, that's it.

We've actually added two time frames for folks. The one in which the wrangler is supposed to receive the project and one additional week for mailing and whatnot. The other option is to automatically extend the LATE LATE time frame to TWO weeks beyond the initial time frame.

Projects are due in CCB's hands by July 31st. Projects are late and you will be on a timeout by August 14th. Normally, it would be August 7th as the final final deadline.

I'm okay with either option but only with ONE option, not both. Then it gets into waiting months for the projects to come back and that's what we were trying to avoid.

I'm misunderestimated.

Last edited by Gemme; 06-14-2018 at 06:48 AM.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 07:02 AM   #7087
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Member Photo Albums

Excellent points, Gemme. Thank you!

I am in agreement with your stated option...as suggested by nycfem that you bolded.

I would like to see us emphasize "vacation"posting rule......."I am on a 6 month vacation from future projects, beginning 07/01/18 until January 01/2019! Transparency & clarity helps keep things rolling!

I am up for CCB's project, I prefer mermaids versus unicorns...... and for CCB to wrangle it!
Old 06-14-2018, 09:17 AM   #7088
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
The arteest formerly known as musicfemme.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Thanked 32,109 Times in 6,125 Posts
candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with the aforementioned handling if the rule. Everyone gets their time out, no exceptions. And if someone is mailing from another country, and feels they need extra time to ensure mailing, then the request is made at sign up, at the beginning of the project.

I will think on how to word my project and write it up by tomorrow. I was also leaning towards mermaids so since two other people have said they prefer mermaids, that's good enough for me.

The size of the finished pieces needs to be consistent, so I could use input on sizing. Keeping in mind that you will be creating ONE special painting. I think it needs to be substantial but not too big obviously. I am not a good one to answer this because I am used to working a very large scale. I don't know what would be a reasonable size for everyone.
candy_coated_bitch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 09:31 AM   #7089
sis
Diva!

How Do You Identify?:
StoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her
Relationship Status:
Content!

Thanked 1,401 Times in 296 Posts
sis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputationsis Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Somehow I don't have the quote thingy figured out ..... I'm quoting Gemme here: Honestly, I'd have to go back through the thread to find out how everything panned out but I do remember the project. I had a hard time with that one. Did you do the watermelon magnet? It's on my fridge but there's no name on the back. Yes, I did the watermelon.

And, again, I'm quoting Gemme here: Again, without going back to check I can't be 100% certain, but I think that you were very upfront about it all so there wasn't anything else to say. I could be wrong as it's been a while but I thought you were great about the whole situation and agree that we can't start bending the rules here and there because eventually the weak spots will break and it'll all go to Hell in a handbasket. I wasn't 'upfront' about anything. I made the decision to take a timeout, re-do my project, and send it out directly to all US participants who had sent their project to Besame. Frankly, I think nothing was 'great' about the whole situation. Again, NO ONE SAID ANYTHING, not even me.

Perhaps some folks think I'm being a witch about stating/clarifying my point.

I will also state that when I was living Overseas the projects I participated in were my lifeline to the Western world. I would share them with co-workers who were amazed at what I had received. I felt like this aging, Femme, single-crochet-hooker actually had some talent that could be shared and, in turn, be appreciated. My participation in this group encouraged me to start up an exchange with local people (co-workers of all nationalities) that still continues and to which I occasionally participate.

Until 'rules' were implemented EVERY exchange I was a part of had people not sending in their pieces - yes, this one AND the one I started in China. However, the group in China was/are able to meet face-to-face and speak to how they were/are doing to make their commitment and this seemed to help with staying focused and project completion. Depending on the Wrangler, there was/are also physical check-ins which greatly improved project completion - I send photos to the Wrangler for transparency! Now, there are actually three groups of 10 that intermingle and exchange art three times per school year. But, they are a stickler for the rules.

We have a great thing going here but we do need to step-up, be transparent, take responsibility, and take our lumps. With the CD project I fell into a grey area - I did send it to the official Wrangler however it didn't make it to the US Wrangler (out of my control). I did ask Besame for her mailing address so I could mail it directly to her but I wasn't prepared to wait and mail it for the time period she was available to be on be-on-the-lookout-for-BF-packets (My decision; I was concerned it would arrive late).

Still, NO ONE SAID ANYTHING, including me. And, typically, I wouldn't say anything but I realize I am distancing myself from participating. If we're going to talk about rules, maybe ALL packages need to be TRACKED regardless of whether you are in the next city over or halfway around the world. I was able to track all packages I sent from Mainland China to wherever they were going in the world (and they ALL made it to their destination). DHL is a wonderful company. For those in the USA, USPS was fantastic when I lived in NC and WI. Perhaps the cost is prohibitive for some - this is one of the reasons I'm not participating in many projects; perhaps for some it will mean they can't participate. However, TRACKED packages should eliminate the postal service being the cause of projects NOT arriving.

Thank you for reading/listening.

Deb still drinking that

Oh! Please do!
Oh! Please!
Oh!

Last edited by sis; 06-14-2018 at 09:57 AM.
sis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to sis For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 03:16 PM   #7090
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

candy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputationcandy_coated_bitch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I agree with the aforementioned handling if the rule. Everyone gets their time out, no exceptions. And if someone is mailing from another country, and feels they need extra time to ensure mailing, then the request is made at sign up, at the beginning of the project.

I will think on how to word my project and write it up by tomorrow. I was also leaning towards mermaids so since two other people have said they prefer mermaids, that's good enough for me.

The size of the finished pieces needs to be consistent, so I could use input on sizing. Keeping in mind that you will be creating ONE special painting. I think it needs to be substantial but not too big obviously. I am not a good one to answer this because I am used to working a very large scale. I don't know what would be a reasonable size for everyone.
What about 4 x 6 inches, the average size of s piece of cardstock. Though I would advise cutting watercolor paper down to size if you are going to use wet media at all. Cardstock just can't hold up.

My Patreon

My Website
Old 06-14-2018, 05:13 PM   #7091
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Member Photo Albums

So I am okay with the 4x6 size. I am still trying to figure out how this works....BUT am certain the candy coated one will explain it in more detail...(clay is sometimes unable to "see the big picture" (translate 2x4 butch) anyway0.

I am so excited for this next project! Thanks CCB & Gemme for spurring this one on.....
Old 06-14-2018, 07:21 PM   #7092
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Yaaaay! Mermaaaaiiiiids!!!

Quote:
Yes, I did the watermelon.

I liked that one. As I said, I still have it on my fridge.

I wasn't 'upfront' about anything. I made the decision to take a timeout, re-do my project, and send it out directly to all US participants who had sent their project to Besame. Frankly, I think nothing was 'great' about the whole situation. Again, NO ONE SAID ANYTHING, not even me.

Perhaps some folks think I'm being a witch about stating/clarifying my point.

No, not a witch. I'd be upset too.

We have a great thing going here but we do need to step-up, be transparent, take responsibility, and take our lumps. With the CD project I fell into a grey area - I did send it to the official Wrangler however it didn't make it to the US Wrangler (out of my control). I did ask Besame for her mailing address so I could mail it directly to her but I wasn't prepared to wait and mail it for the time period she was available to be on be-on-the-lookout-for-BF-packets (My decision; I was concerned it would arrive late).

Still, NO ONE SAID ANYTHING, including me. And, typically, I wouldn't say anything but I realize I am distancing myself from participating. If we're going to talk about rules, maybe ALL packages need to be TRACKED regardless of whether you are in the next city over or halfway around the world. I was able to track all packages I sent from Mainland China to wherever they were going in the world (and they ALL made it to their destination). DHL is a wonderful company. For those in the USA, USPS was fantastic when I lived in NC and WI. Perhaps the cost is prohibitive for some - this is one of the reasons I'm not participating in many projects; perhaps for some it will mean they can't participate. However, TRACKED packages should eliminate the postal service being the cause of projects NOT arriving.

I mentioned this point earlier.

Quote:
What about 4 x 6 inches, the average size of s piece of cardstock. Though I would advise cutting watercolor paper down to size if you are going to use wet media at all. Cardstock just can't hold up.
I think either 4x6 or 5x7 would be good. Big enough to show something nice but not too big to be overwhelming.

Quote:
Originally Posted by clay View Post
So I am okay with the 4x6 size. I am still trying to figure out how this works....BUT am certain the candy coated one will explain it in more detail...(clay is sometimes unable to "see the big picture" (translate 2x4 butch) anyway0.

I am so excited for this next project! Thanks CCB & Gemme for spurring this one on.....
Okay, now stop trying to make things more complicated than they are. That's my job.

We will be doing ONE piece. That one piece will be exchanged with one person. Basically, CCB will play artsy matchmaker. You make your mermaid (yaaaaay!) for that person and that person will make a mermaid just for you (yaaaaay!). It's like a matchbox project without the matchbox. lol Totally distinctive and designed with the recipient in mind. I think it's an awesome idea.

Now, question. What happens if we have an odd number of participants? Will we have a group of three that will exchange if that should happen?

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 08:32 PM   #7093
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

I like 4 by 6.

Oh, and I also loved the watermelon magnet. It was a stand out.

How do I... ?
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 08:54 PM   #7094
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Yaaaay! Mermaaaaiiiiids!!!

I think either 4x6 or 5x7 would be good. Big enough to show something nice but not too big to be overwhelming.

Okay, now stop trying to make things more complicated than they are. That's my job.

We will be doing ONE piece. That one piece will be exchanged with one person. Basically, CCB will play artsy matchmaker. You make your mermaid (yaaaaay!) for that person and that person will make a mermaid just for you (yaaaaay!). It's like a matchbox project without the matchbox. lol Totally distinctive and designed with the recipient in mind. I think it's an awesome idea.

Now, question. What happens if we have an odd number of participants? Will we have a group of three that will exchange if that should happen?
I am going to randomly assign people so the person you make for will not be the person who makes for you. It will be even more interesting that way I thought! I have a system devised already.

I will post details tomorrow, I PROMISE. Everything should then be clear.

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 09:29 PM   #7095
FireSignFemme

How Do You Identify?:
N/A

3 Highscores

Thanked 10,512 Times in 3,155 Posts
FireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST ReputationFireSignFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Since we'd only be making a project piece for one person how will we decide who gets who for a partner? Also as far as an uneven number of participants goes how about the wrangler, or someone who volunteers to, sits out if there aren't enough participants for every one to have a partner. I'd be willing to do it. Say seven people sign up I'd just sit out so six people could be partnered up. But if eight people sign up before the deadline then I'd make one for the whichever person I'm assigned to. I wouldn't want to do it all the time for every exchange but I'd volunteer to take a turn at it. It's not like we have a lot of these one on one projects. Lastly, I liked the idea of people making either a mermaid or a unicorn to give – their choice, rather than everyone has to make the same thing. Everyone would make a painting just we'd have a choice about which of the two mythological creatures we make to give. Well unless anyone has a mermaid or unicorn phobia. In which case you have your partner now work it out amongst yourselves via private message.
FireSignFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FireSignFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-14-2018, 10:09 PM   #7096
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

If there's an uneven number of participants I will partner twice and create two paintings. I will randomly pair people together myself as Wrangler.

The theme is mermaids. I'm not budging on it at this point. The whole point is we all do the same exact prompt and see how each person interprets it differently. Sorry but I'm a hardass when it comes to my projects.

Also, can we PLEASE save questions and comments until I have posted the description of the project tomorrow? Most things will be cleared up once I post.

Also also, please remember I am now officially Wrangler so it's my project and my guidelines from this point on. Sorry if people feel butthurt about it, but that's just how I am. If enough people don't want me to wrangle this project I'll step down.

My Patreon

My Website
Old 06-14-2018, 10:34 PM   #7097
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Quote:
Originally Posted by FireSignFemme View Post
I liked the idea of people making either a mermaid or a unicorn to give – their choice, rather than everyone has to make the same thing. Everyone would make a painting just we'd have a choice about which of the two mythological creatures we make to give.
I was thinking the same thing.

How do I... ?
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 02:34 AM   #7098
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Quote:
I was thinking the same thing.
It kind of misses the whole point of the project though, which is to have everyone interpret the same prompt. If you're picking and choosing between mermaids and unicorns, it's no longer the same prompt. That's my only issue with it. Does that make sense?

The point is to have the same exact jumping off point and have everyone interpret it. When I said I was choosing between mermaids and unicorns I meant in my head I'd been deciding whether the prompt would be about mermaids OR unicorns, not that we were doing both. I apologize if that was unclear.

My Patreon

My Website

Last edited by candy_coated_bitch; 06-15-2018 at 02:39 AM.
Old 06-15-2018, 03:08 AM   #7099
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Ok, I'd like to post the project guidelines/my vision BEFORE we start hashing out details. I'm going to do that at 5AM because frankly I'm a little cranky about all the comments and questions when I specifically asked people to please wait until I posted the project. I'm also on my period, so please excuse my lack of more patience LOL. I'm gonna work on the project right now and get it up ASAP but will probably take a while to type up.

I will *NOT* be posting sign ups yet, to let people speak their minds but I also feel too many cooks in the kitchen can be a bad thing better than a good thing but I also know we've been a democratic thread so I will CONSIDER other points of view before finalizing the project for sign ups.

My Patreon

My Website
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to candy_coated_bitch For This Useful Post:
Old 06-15-2018, 03:48 AM   #7100
candy_coated_bitch
Pixie Stick

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She.
Relationship Status:
Happily taken.

Default MY VISION

***MERMAID PAINTING EXTRAVAGANZA***

This project was born out of a personal project I did myself during the month of May with another online art group. The fabulous mixed media artist Jane Davenport started a project called "Mermay" and the idea was this: It was centered around mermaids, hence it being "Mermay". For every day of the month of may she issued a prompt for the day for everyone to interpret in their own way with the only restriction being that it had to be a mermaid. For instance one prompt was "Spectacles and tentacles" one was "Hello sailor" and another was "Musical scales". I did do a mermaid every day for the month of May and Gemme followed this on Facebook, which brings us here.

She said she enjoyed seeing my mermaids every day and would like to see a project where everyone interpreted the same prompt, like I did for Mermay, in this thread. So I of course jumped on it and said wow, I'd love to wrangle that. Perhaps I did so prematurely, but stick with me folks until the end before we discuss the project.

Now, what made Mermay fun is that it was a Facebook group of 20,000 people interpreting the SAME prompt every day and coming up with such diverse works of art. You wouldn't believe some people's ingenuity. I'd love to do that here.

The idea for our project is thus: create ONE painting for your partner interpreting the prompt/challenge I issue to the group. For this project I would like to introduce the prompt of creating a mermaid with FRECKLES AND SPECKLES in mind. This can be interpreted in any way you see fit. Use your imaginations! (Again, the whole point being seeing how people interpret the same prompt). Everyone will create their painting for their partner, which will randomly be assigned by me. I will NOT be personally be pairing people together to be fair. It will be more of a pick names out of a hat type of dealio. In the event of an odd number of participants I volunteer as wrangler to partner with the extra person as well and make two paintings. I'll end up getting two paintings in my possession in the end, which may not seem fair, but I will also be putting forth twice the work not to mention wrangling so that's my way of dealing with an odd number of participants.

THE PAINTING: should be 5 x 7 inches in size to allow enough room to do a proper painting but still be easily mailable. PLEASE be thoughtful in your process as everyone will be working very hard on this and wants to receive something as special as they made so bring out your bells and whistles! It's not a contest about ability, anyone can join, but just be sure to put your best foot forward and put time and thought into your painting. Please make sure the painting is the correct size and flat enough to mail reasonably. I like my embellishments as much as the next girl or guy, and you can use some but please don't try and send something through the mail that's 3D or super heavy.

I suggest everyone cut a piece of watercolor paper down to size instead of using cardstock, as cardstock tends to buckle when anything wet is introduced. So if you want to use paint or even Mod Podge, please consider this suggestion. If you are using only dry media, such as colored pencils or crayons or fabric, cardstock should suffice but good quality paper is always a nice touch. That's just my plug.

THE TIMELINE: I suggest 8 weeks to complete this project. It's involved and I want to allow people to really use their imaginations and create something that showcases their best ability and effort. The sign up (once I post it) will be up for one week, then the 8 week period will commence. If anyone out of the country feels they need extra time to allow for longer mailing periods PLEASE mention it at the front end of the project when you sign up and we will add an extra week (I think this is what we decided) for you. All rules and regulations apply to this project but I'm not going to ass the blurb now.

Ok, feel free to discuss: the mermaid vs. unicorn dilemma (knowing I STRONGLY feel it should just be mermaids), size of project, timelines, etc. I will try to check my impatience and be open to suggestions and what the majority of the group wants. The one thing I will NOT budge on is my prompt of SPECKLES AND FRECKLES.

My Patreon

My Website

Tags
artists, creative types