Old 04-08-2018, 01:47 AM   #41
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

Good because the purpose of the thread isn't to judge others.

Opening post - bold is my emphasis:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ender View Post
I've been in this weird state in between trans male and butch female and was wondering if I could get some insight from those who are butch females.

I've been actively questioning for about 5-6 years now, and I've been always going back and forth between the two. The part of me that thinks I'm a trans male is that I express myself in a more masculine manner (however, butch women also do), I pack and bind, and would prefer to compress my chest and would like the option to go shirtless (though, who doesn't). I like male and neutral pronouns, and I am seen by the majority of people as male.

I'm not out to anyone, so I can't really ask someone to call me by my preferred name/pronouns, but I have been trying this online. I've always chose to present myself as male or masculine online (in games, forums, etc) and I was just wondering if this was common amongst other butch women.

There have also been times as a child where I've had thoughts about how I would go about telling people what happened to [given name] if I were to present as male and go by a male name. I also wondered, when I was 9-10, if other girls hated being girls also.

I don't know, I'm just really confused.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
Same with myself

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:48 AM   #42
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 28,873 Times in 9,718 Posts
JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by BullDog View Post
Good because the purpose of the thread isn't to judge others.
Yup i know.
JDeere is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2018, 01:58 AM   #43
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

To answer your original question Ender, many do id as male/masculine online but definitely not all. In my experience, it is much more common online than in real life, where most of my butch friends do go by she and are totally butch. Some go by he and it could also depend on age and the community you live in.

I consider myself totally masculine and butch. I am proud to be a queer/lesbian masculine female - and that is what butch is for me personally.

Anyway, you've already gotten a lot of good advice, but there are still plenty of butches who have no desire to transition and view themselves as female and don't see the need to use male pronouns. It's all a matter of what feels best for you, and there's no rush and sometimes people evolve over time.

Butches and trans-id'd people identify in all different kinds of ways and no one way is better or less than or "more butch" than any other.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 03:10 AM   #44
Esme nha Maire

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,091 Times in 541 Posts
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation

Might I interject that the terms that people use of themselves and of each other are neither universal, nor are the meanings attached thereto. Put another way, some people will have in their heads hard and fast definitions for each of the terms that we use within our community - but two such people may not agree on where the boundaries between one and another lay. And I'm told that there are marked differences between how women in the USA and UK regard and use the terms often used within our community here.

We all seek to find where we fit in in the world. Where is the place for me? When one doesn't easily conform to the norms of wider society it can be bad enough, but when one finds oneself adrift even within a smaller sub-section of society that notionally one should fit within somewhere, it can be quite upsetting, as I know from personal experience.

THE big thing to take in, in my opinion, is that your personal experiences and feelings are valid. They are a valid way to be, and what anyone else thinks or whether they think the same way in the same terms with the same definitions as you or not does not matter. Fretting and arguing over such can cause unnecessary friction and pain. It's trite but true that "you be YOU" is probably the best advice there is.

You don't have to be trans OR butch. Those are just labels for aspects of being. You can be one, both, neither, you can think of yourself as one, both, neither and none of that matters so long as you are being YOU just as hard as you can. I've used this phrase before because it's true - words - labels - are descriptive (they describe us), not proscriptive (they do not determine who and what we are).

I caused myself a lot of needless grief over the years because I was trying to pigeonhole myself into a few very limited and limiting boxes defined by a very few words because they were the only words I knew: male/female, straight/gay - and my knowledge of how things are and can be was so very limited. The more I came to understand, and the more I came to regard labels as places on a map that I might be nearby, but perhaps not exactly at, rather than those damned constraining pigeonholes, the happier I became.

I hope this helps.
Esme nha Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Esme nha Maire For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 10:58 AM   #45
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Meh... I'm not very particular about this.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,113 Times in 1,504 Posts
Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

My experiences have been very similar... 20 years ago and even today!

With those I've gotten to know better, they do not see themselves as female and for a variety of reasons they can't transition to something other of their choosing. Most of the time the reasons are financial. One guy I met here in Texas who had a medical condition (a blood disorder) that made any surgery hazardous. And there was some other issue that limited his taking testosterone. Anyway, to most he just seemed hella butch (he could not pass as male and he knew it) until you got to know him and his preferred pronouns.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JDeere View Post
I didn't mean to offend. Im posting on what i see in my everyday world. Ive spoken with alot of butches at the bar and the ones who call themselves hardcore butch do not see themselves as female.

But i guess how one sees themselves wont always be seen by others.
Lyte is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 11:13 AM   #46
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

Lyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST ReputationLyte Has the BEST Reputation

This is the wisest statement on this thread!

Terms ... titles... definitions are going to change over time, across geography and as we and our community changes. It makes little sense to get twisted when someone recounts their own (very personal) experiences.

Even so... that's not what this thread is about... even though it might be tangential to it!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Esme nha Maire View Post
Might I interject that the terms that people use of themselves and of each other are neither universal, nor are the meanings attached thereto.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 11:35 AM   #47
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Rolls eyes. If anyone were to suggest that male id butches were soft and not hardcore butch there would be a huge uproar. But of course this was exactly what I was expecting to see when I woke up.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2018, 12:42 PM   #48
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

I seriously hope that people don't solely rely on what they read online to figure out who they are. If I had done that I wouldn't be anything like who I actually am.

My own personal experiences and the experiences I have with butches out in the real world are often quite different than what I read online. I have met a lot of nice people online, some who have gone onto to be real-life partners and friends but there's a lot of posturing as well.

Who you are out in the real world and what you feel fits who you are in your skin is what counts, not online personas.

And never listen to anyone who has to put down others to feel good about themselves.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 04-09-2018, 09:25 PM   #49
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

JDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST ReputationJDeere Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lyte View Post
My experiences have been very similar... 20 years ago and even today!

With those I've gotten to know better, they do not see themselves as female and for a variety of reasons they can't transition to something other of their choosing. Most of the time the reasons are financial. One guy I met here in Texas who had a medical condition (a blood disorder) that made any surgery hazardous. And there was some other issue that limited his taking testosterone. Anyway, to most he just seemed hella butch (he could not pass as male and he knew it) until you got to know him and his preferred pronouns.
I know of several folks in groups I belong to on Facebook that can't transition mostly for financial reasons, which is sad, I think anyone, regardless of financial means should be able to get the help they need.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 04-10-2018, 11:18 PM   #50
cathexis

How Do You Identify?:
Trotskyist, Anarcho-syndicalist
Preferred Pronoun?:
They, Them, Their, Sir Bitch
Relationship Status:
open

Thanked 4,710 Times in 1,603 Posts
cathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputationcathexis Has the BEST Reputation

Am a genderqueer individual who has had gender dysphoria even after a
total hysterectomy.

Years later (last year), I found that it was possible to masculinize my chest. I am going through clearance for surgery with my Internist and Cardiologist with
appointments this week.

Started testosterone over a year ago.

Have already had a visit with Cardio., now going for a Stress Test which is
scheduled for next week.

Visit with my Internist on Thurs. with labs already done. Unless she orders
further tests, will meet (probably via Skype) to speak with the surgeon for
final discussion and to get scheduled for surgery.

Glad I have Medicare, as 80% of cost will be covered. Sorry for the guys
Lyte was writing about being unable to have the surgery due to cost.
Perhaps they could inquire about medical tourism to Cuba. Great medical care
and complete acceptance of transgender individuals. The cost will probably be
less than the US even considering the arrangement and transportation.
cathexis is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to cathexis For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 09:51 PM   #51
JDeere
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Transgender
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/him/his
Relationship Status:
Single

In a group I am in on Facebook, someone came forward with the same question you have Ender. I didn't post because some of the folks in said group are lets say " no label, only one gender" type folks. I think in time you will be who you are, no matter what others say, it took me many years to even know I was masculine of any kind, that butch femme trans, etc existed.

I am hoping you are coming into yourself.
The Following User Says Thank You to JDeere For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 10:55 AM   #52
Ender

How Do You Identify?:
Male (trans)
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/him
Relationship Status:
Single

Ender Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST Reputation

I came out to a few of my friends as trans, and they were all super supportive and accepting, however, now I'm starting to question again.

The thing I am sure of is that I am transmasculine (whether I'm butch, trans, somewhere in the middle) I'm unsure of.

I asked them to call me Liam, but as we are all in different cities right now I don't know when I'll get to see them in-person next.

I'm glad I said something, but I don't know if it's just all in my head or not.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Ender For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 12:58 PM   #53
Lyte

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
Single

I've always liked the name Liam!

Quote:
I asked them to call me Liam, but as we are all in different cities right now I don't know when I'll get to see them in-person next.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Lyte For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 07:38 PM   #54
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I came out to a few of my friends as trans, and they were all super supportive and accepting, however, now I'm starting to question again.

The thing I am sure of is that I am transmasculine (whether I'm butch, trans, somewhere in the middle) I'm unsure of.

I'm glad I said something, but I don't know if it's just all in my head or not.
Hi, Liam.

Have you looked into finding a clinically competent gender therapist? If you need some assistance in finding someone in your area, I would be happy to help you.

You really need someone to bounce this stuff off of who understands the nuances of gender, gender expression, and sexuality. You need someone to assist you in pulling all of this apart.

You also might find it helpful to journal.

Also, it isn't a race...it is a journey.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 05-22-2018, 08:39 PM   #55
Ender

How Do You Identify?:
Male (trans)
Preferred Pronoun?:
he/him
Relationship Status:
Single

Ender Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST ReputationEnder Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Hi, Liam.

Have you looked into finding a clinically competent gender therapist? If you need some assistance in finding someone in your area, I would be happy to help you.

You really need someone to bounce this stuff off of who understands the nuances of gender, gender expression, and sexuality. You need someone to assist you in pulling all of this apart.

You also might find it helpful to journal.

Also, it isn't a race...it is a journey.
I used to go, but she was very adamant on getting me on T when I was still questioning things and I stopped going.
I’m looking into online therapists at the moment, since I’m a couple hour drive from the city.
Ender is offline   Reply With Quote