Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 12-28-2011, 08:56 AM   #1
Inked_Trinity

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
BadAss! / Sarcastic Bastard!

Thanked 6,924 Times in 1,817 Posts
Inked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST Reputation
Default Are tattoos really an addiction?

I am heavily tattooed. I recently finished a very large tattoo on my leg that runs from my hip to my ankle. There are people who say that I'm addicted to ink. This lead me to do some research about tattooing. Can it really be addicting? I read several articles on the subject. Most disagree with the concept of addiction to tattoos. I'm wondering what your thoughts are.
Old 12-28-2011, 09:02 AM   #2
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

I don't know if it's an addiction as much as it's a creative desire. Most people I know who have lots of tattoos usually have an image in their mind of what they want the tattoos to look like. And often this means more than one to get the full piece of art done.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:19 AM   #3
Amber2010

How Do You Identify?:
Happy, Crazy, Bubbly, Funny, Strong, Outgoing, Friendly
Preferred Pronoun?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Complicated

Amber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST ReputationAmber2010 Has the BEST Reputation

I will have to agree that it is an expression. I wanted one as a teenager and then had kids instead. LOL Last year my 18 year old niece took me for a little ride to a tattoo palar and says Aunt you always wanted one you are getting one. So she and I proceeded to each get one. I now have a little shell on my ankle that I so love and love her for taking me. My kids all rolled their eyes at me when I got home and they saw what my niece took me to do. Of course all say I need to grow up. Giggles but I love it and will always feel like it was the right thing to do for me. My little shell is an expression of me and how much I love the beach.
Amber2010 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Amber2010 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:38 AM   #4
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

Personally, I don't think the tattoo its self is an addiction. The chemicals your body releases when getting a tattoo is what can be addictive. Endorphins and adrenalin can be very powerful "drugs". I remember how my whole body (and mind) felt after a tattoo on my shoulder. I would like to feel like that everyday however, I can't do it naturally. There has to be an outside factor to it.

I've known of people who have let bills fall behind in order to get a tattoo. I guess it doesn't feel as good to them paying their rent as it does getting a tat.

In a nut shell, I can see the addictive attributes to tattoos.

"To choose a word is to choose a world" Anonymous
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Ryobi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 09:39 AM   #5
twist of lime

How Do You Identify?:
femme

twist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputationtwist of lime Has the BEST Reputation

I think the entire experience can be addicting. Our senses are a powerful thing as are endorphins. Who wouldn't wanna feel good? lol
twist of lime is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to twist of lime For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 07:33 PM   #6
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

If it's an addiction for the singer to sing or for the artist to paint, then yes, tattoos can be an addiction.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #7
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Oh yeah, they can be!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 07:36 PM   #8
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Lightbulb I vote nay

I don't have an addictive personality so when I make the decision to mark a milestone of my life upon my canvas it's just that a piece of art that tells a story to me about me.
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 07:45 PM   #9
Inked_Trinity

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:

Inked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST ReputationInked_Trinity Has the BEST Reputation

I plan mine, taking up to a year to find just the design I want. It has to fit in the spot I want it and flow with the rest of what I have.
Old 12-28-2011, 07:51 PM   #10
midwest chick

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
married

Thanked 1,678 Times in 338 Posts
midwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputationmidwest chick Has the BEST Reputation

Personally, I don't think of it as an addiction, but I've never known anyone that got tats instead of paying bills.

My daughter has a sunset on her back, it's just one of 14 that she has. My son has a few. Just like piercings, it's an expression of self, and part of their identities. Don't know where they got the idea to get them, but I also have a little art.

Because it's pretty much permanent, a lot of thought and consideration goes into body art decisions, similar to body sculpting...

It takes a lot of planning, research, time, to find or create, the design, locate an artist, and get a large tat, but the results are awesome!

Would a person that spent a year planning a vacation cruise,
they take the cruise, enjoy it
have endorphins like crazy flooding them during the vacation
be addicted to the vacation experience?

Thought, time, planning, money are involved in both scenarios, and I don't consider either to be an addiction.

Personal opinion only!!!
midwest chick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to midwest chick For This Useful Post:
Old 12-28-2011, 08:41 PM   #11
pajama

How Do You Identify?:
Klingon
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 7,480 Times in 1,809 Posts
pajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputationpajama Has the BEST Reputation

I do have an addiction proned personality. I have had my addictions. My tattoos are not one of them. I consider them a collection. Like my Jack Skellington collection, my hat collection, and my refrigerator magnet collection. LOL

I get tattoos because I think they make me look better. I love them. They are an expression of who I am. I have plans to be completely covered. I know what some of those pieces will be, other's I don't know yet.

I do like the endorphine rush, but realistically after about the 4th hour, the endorphines and adrenalin is shot and it's just raw and tender.

A
pajama is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to pajama For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 10:52 AM   #12
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

I think the saying "tattoos are addicting" is meant to be tongue-in-cheek. I was told that before and after I got mine. That was a few years ago and I have yet to get another one. BUT it is b/c my finances do not allow it-lol.

I can see how someone may say that they are addicting though. I think that a lot of body modifications could be.

Currently, I have one tat, ears pierced twice (thinking about a new piercing) and several artistic cuttings (thinking about a touch up). And yes, I want more.

Now, for anyone who thinks ink is addictive, try a cutting. Mine go away so I have reason to get more

Old 12-29-2011, 01:58 PM   #13
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

I would not say I am addicted to tattoos. And I agree after four hours, it just plain fricking hurts. I generally go into shock when I get home. My last tat, Ganesha, however, was pretty "easy" on me after. My easiest tattoo for me was Axis Mundi down my spine, but who knew that your skin moved so much with every step!! The next three days, not so fun.

I would say I love them. And I know I will have my entire back covered by the time I die at 84. In fact, I hope to get my last tattoo at 83. They are very meaningful to me. I cringe when I see "thoughtless" tattoos on young ones. I always think... "yeah but will Warner Brothers Emblems mean anything to you when you no longer watch Saturday morning cartoons?"

I recognize, that I am making a judgment statement regarding someone else's expression of art... and mean no offence.

I always knew I wanted a tattoo. It just took 20 years for me to decide what the first one would be.

Each tattoo is an expression of my spiritual identity. They are more "me" than much of what else is around me.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 05:08 PM   #14
Inked_Trinity

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:

When I get tattooed I tend to fall asleep. I'm not sure if it's something physical or if it's the rhythmic sound of the gun. It's totally relaxing for me. I also love the smell of the A&D ointment.
Old 12-29-2011, 05:13 PM   #15
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked_Trinity View Post
When I get tattooed I tend to fall asleep. I'm not sure if it's something physical or if it's the rhythmic sound of the gun. It's totally relaxing for me. I also love the smell of the A&D ointment.
Yup, nope, never fallen asleep during a tat. Lucky you....

I did however go with a friend who was getting a little iddy biddy tat on the inside of her wrist... and she cried and almost broke my fingers... inside I was laughing my ass off. It took, maybe, 30 minutes. I asked her after if she would like to have another one... I thought the tears were gonna start all over again!!

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 06:10 PM   #16
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

For me I don't know if getting a tattoo or the fact that you have a tattoo is addictive, but I know I would get another one if I knew anyone in town that I trust to do it. I haven't explored my options here in Mobile yet. My last one was ten years ago and I would love another one. I know what I want and where it's will be on me. I love the artwork that is tattooing. I love the feeling of sitting in the chair with the artist doing the tattoo. Ok I guess I love all aspects of tattoos. I get a charge out of other people making positive comments about them and I think that it is positive reinforcement for who I am.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 06:59 PM   #17
justanolecowboy

How Do You Identify?:
ftm
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
committed.

Thanked 1,957 Times in 458 Posts
justanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputationjustanolecowboy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post
I don't know if it's an addiction as much as it's a creative desire. Most people I know who have lots of tattoos usually have an image in their mind of what they want the tattoos to look like. And often this means more than one to get the full piece of art done.
______well said.

justanolecowboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justanolecowboy For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 08:13 PM   #18
msW8ing

How Do You Identify?:
multi-faceted gem, femme, submissive babygirl if the chemistry is there.
Preferred Pronoun?:
lady
Relationship Status:
working on myself

Thanked 2,498 Times in 655 Posts
msW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inked_Trinity View Post
I thought I was the only one that fell asleep while getting a tat...lol good to know I'm not. I wouldn't say I'm addicted to it..it is an experience I enjoy and each one of mine have a story behind it..a reason for being there. My newest one my kids got me for xmas. I love it. I'm in the process of designing two more to get soon.

A lady who knows the ropes..will never be bound. ~Mae West
msW8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to msW8ing For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 08:33 PM   #19
Kid

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
not sure
Relationship Status:
ex marks the spot

Kid is on a distinguished road

I have 7 . Planning more when I have the cash.
Kid is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kid For This Useful Post:
Old 12-29-2011, 09:03 PM   #20
Inked_Trinity

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kid View Post
I have 7 . Planning more when I have the cash.
I am over 20 and still going