PearlsNLace

How Do You Identify?:
queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
They/Them & her/she
Relationship Status:
Lucky, very lucky

Thanked 1,286 Times in 315 Posts
PearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST Reputation

I love the look, and the feel of artificial nails. But I wont wear them anymore. I took a microbiology class that had us compare the bacteria growth in a petri dish of 2 classmates who had just washed their hands for equal amount of time, using the same soap and technique.

The amount of bacteria growing in the petri dish the woman with fake nails vs the one who didnt OMG it was really gross. Seriously. There was no growth in the other dish.

Sad, but now every time I start wishing for those nails, I see those little cresent moons of fuzz in that petri dish and sigh.
PearlsNLace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to PearlsNLace For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 08:28 AM   #42
MsTinkerbelly
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:

Thanked 22,958 Times in 5,020 Posts
MsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST ReputationMsTinkerbelly Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Short and simple French Manicure on my fingers, and Red Hot Cherry on my toes....
MsTinkerbelly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to MsTinkerbelly For This Useful Post:
Old 03-24-2010, 01:01 PM   #43
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Actually, I have a serious question to ask. Even though I can mess up my hands with all the yard work and gardening, I do, I like my nails to look good when I go out, etc. And I don't want my hands to have rough skin, which is usually the case. Can't possibly feel good to hold hands with me.

What does work well to keep nails and hands from being rough? To be honest, I buy whatever lotion is on sale most of the time and have no idea what ingredients really do help to soften hands. Also, would it make a difference to get manicures? I have never had a manicure in my life. My Mom and sisters never did either, or my Dad and brother. Just wasn't part of my household.

Last edited by AtLast; 03-24-2010 at 01:02 PM. Reason: goofed
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-24-2010, 01:44 PM   #44
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,615 Times in 3,974 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

well, personally I like my butches to have a bit of roughness on their hands. Feels good against my soft skin...

but to answer your question...use gloves. Seriously No cream will replace the damage working in your garden will do to your fingers and nails.

Manicures are good if you are doing fake nails, IMHO, and nothing else. I wouldnt pay someone to file my nails and paint them when I can easily do that on my own. I know some men get manicures but I truly feel its a waste of money.

Here's some tips...

when you get out of the shower, push back your cuticles. That will help with the tearing. DONT cut them. Makes it worse.

I wait until I am mostly dried off and then I file my nails, After filing, if I put on some cream and get it into my skin and nail areas.

If you want, get a clear hard as nails Sally Hanson polish...it will give your nails a coat that will keep them strong...

hope this helps...
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2010, 06:11 PM   #45
Lillie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl,princess,her, that girl, she! but mostly just "babygirl"
Relationship Status:
single

Lillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST ReputationLillie Has the BEST Reputation
Red face

I keep my nails cause my daddy loves me to rake them down hys back...hmmm..."looks at the clock" daddy will be home soon!

hy likes mine long with american manicur...i was always partial to color and sometimes my special reward will be color for my tips!....but I hve come to love the manicure because hy admires and loves it on me....i love seeing that pleasure in hys eyes

Last edited by Lillie; 04-14-2010 at 06:14 PM. Reason: mispell
Lillie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2010, 06:16 PM   #46
Ldyluck88

How Do You Identify?:
Me
Relationship Status:
not here

Ldyluck88 is a splendid one to beholdLdyluck88 is a splendid one to beholdLdyluck88 is a splendid one to beholdLdyluck88 is a splendid one to beholdLdyluck88 is a splendid one to beholdLdyluck88 is a splendid one to beholdLdyluck88 is a splendid one to behold

I love clean fingernails, regardless of gender! I prefer to do my nails/pedicure myself. A few yrs. ago I got a fungus on my toe from a nail salon and it took forever to clear it up. I love the French manicure look, as it makes my hands/toes look so clean and fresh!
Ldyluck88 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-06-2010, 10:20 PM   #47
Starbuck

How Do You Identify?:
Soft Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Unavailable

Thanked 2,148 Times in 756 Posts
Starbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST ReputationStarbuck Has the BEST Reputation
Question I Remember!

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebee View Post
Yes, if you're a hardworking girl such as yourself it must be a challenge!

My number one problem is that my nails break at the slightest provocation. I'm sure I can improve that a little if I get the right products. They're healthy, just fragile.

Number two problem - and I'm currently trying to deal with this - is my cuticles. If I could sell them by the pound I'd be a rich woman. If only Madge were still around today! (if you're under 45 you probably won't "get" the Madge reference - that's for us "mature" women! )
Hey, I'm only 38 and I remember! Perhaps I was just real perceptive?
Old 12-06-2010, 10:24 PM   #48
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sachita View Post
To bring luster and shine- get a file
Amazon.com: Sephora Brand 4-Step Buffer: Beauty

simply follow the steps- numbers. It will buff your nails to a beautiful sexy shine and all natural. You will love it
I bought those years ago and they are wonderful!!!! I wish I could grow my nails long but I have a protesting grandson who likes to play Catch Me If You Can and I accidentally scratched him. So I keep them not too short but love to wear nail polish in warm peach tones.

Sally Hansen's Hard As Nails is an awesome product for keep the nails hard as nails. LOL
Old 12-07-2010, 04:51 AM   #49
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation
Default NAIL ME

Dang the title of this thread is so misleading. What a disappointment !!
Old 12-07-2010, 07:08 AM   #50
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

My nails look strong, but break easily. Alos, my job doesn't help matters. I tryed fake nails once, that last all of 1 hours. I couldn't tolerate them. I try to groom my nails as often as possible and once a month I'll go get a mani.
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2010, 08:50 AM   #51
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

In runs the nail tech... yep licensed and everything... I have read this whole thread and have some information to share... but I think I need to be awake more to do so... For those of you having issues with dry and cracking hands try some of the same product that nursing women use on their nipples... I know, I know... but is is made from lanolin and is safe and it will absorbed into the nail bed and cuticle keeping them moisturized, thus helping to prevent cracking and peeling of the natural nail... As for nails, acrylic, gel, wraps and overlays there are so many products out there today it will make you head spin... Polishes, now that is a whole different creature in its self... then we could totally get into the new gel polishes... everyone is jumping on that band wagon... Okay more later going to have my ribs x-rayed... Happy nailing everyone!
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2010, 09:00 AM   #52
HoneyedChrysanthemum

Exclamation Olive oil...

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Actually, I have a serious question to ask. Even though I can mess up my hands with all the yard work and gardening, I do, I like my nails to look good when I go out, etc. And I don't want my hands to have rough skin, which is usually the case. Can't possibly feel good to hold hands with me.

What does work well to keep nails and hands from being rough? To be honest, I buy whatever lotion is on sale most of the time and have no idea what ingredients really do help to soften hands. Also, would it make a difference to get manicures? I have never had a manicure in my life. My Mom and sisters never did either, or my Dad and brother. Just wasn't part of my household.
olive oil works wonders on softening skin! one a week i treat myself to an olive oil massage and rub olive oil everywhere from hair to feet! then i sit for awhile in a warm bath tub or get dressed in old clothes and put a towel around my hair and work around the house. the olive oil is great for conditioning your hair-makes it very soft and shiny. it works on calluses, so if you have rough feet, rub your feet w.olive oil at night and put on nice warm socks. after a few days-no calluses! i rub it every day on my hands ,esp, around my nails and cuticles. makes your nails look like you've had a manicure! it's my shin, hair, and nail cure-all! i like to use extra-virgin. better quality, plus i like the smell. *laughs* of course, you might have to put up with comments about smelling like a salad. then you might issue an invitation to...LoL.
pres pouring morning tea for all you wonderful femmes!
ps-i also like a little roughness in a butch's hand!
Old 12-16-2010, 08:15 PM   #53
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Dashes back in...
I promise once I have my school work for the next week taken care of I will be back in to share some information and some helpful hints...
If I can remember...
This is me lately... an hour and a half worth of sleep tends to make a person feel loopy...
Catch everyone later...
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 12-16-2010, 08:37 PM   #54
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Olive oil is amazing stuff! I buy more for cosmetic reasons than for cooking. I use it for facials, make up removal and for cuticles. I also mix up my own hot oil treatment for my hair. Am still working on a better blend for body/massage oil.

For the last year I have been giving my nails a break from silk wraps. Not sure if I want to go back to wraps. But after examination of my hands this evening, I may opt for a monthlly manicure. Pedis not so much, perhaps in the warmer weather (if it ever returns) or special occasions - my feet are very ticklish.

Oh yes...rough butch hands are truly wonderful!
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:05 PM   #55
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
Dang the title of this thread is so misleading. What a disappointment !!
Lol, I was just thinking that too!
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:17 PM   #56
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default yes

Agreed.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-16-2010, 09:58 PM   #57
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,774 Times in 25,658 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

It's not misleading, fellas. It's tongue in cheek. And a pretty darn easy way to get butches and FTMs in here.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-18-2010, 02:07 AM   #58
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
It's not misleading, fellas. It's tongue in cheek. And a pretty darn easy way to get butches and FTMs in here.

Chuckles, pretty darn sneaky!
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2010, 05:05 PM   #59
lespere

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
single

lespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputationlespere Has the BEST Reputation
Default Glass Files, nail art, etc

Quote:
Originally Posted by suebee View Post

My favorite nail tool is a glass nail file.They're normally fairly pricey, but my girl found one at a surplus store for Six bucks. Unfortunately it got broken, and I haven't been able to find one as nice since. If you've never tried a really thin glass file then you don't know what you're missing.
Glass nail files are available from Amazon and Sephora - after seeing them mentioned here I added them to my Holiday shopping list
http://www.amazon.com/SEPHORA-COLLECTION-Glass-Nail-Files/dp/B001U3QLJ0
So thanks!

Nails are my hobby of the year for 2010, and I had a lot of fun with Konad nail stamping, they also have some great simple french tip style stamp. Basically you can stamp little icons or designs onto your nails, it's actually quite quick!

For self polishing, practice practice practice, when I started I could barely polish my right hand better than a 5 year old. Now I'm much faster and enjoy the creative aspects a lot more.

For great long lasting Polish and less chipping nails ( I work all day on a computer keyboard) Seche Vite is the absolutely best top coat every. I do 2 coats and can type all week and my nails wil stay whole for a whole week and sometimes longer.
lespere is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to lespere For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 04:44 PM   #60
Jill_Anne

How Do You Identify?:
Femme!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Just spell it right..I usually answer
Relationship Status:
single

Jill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST ReputationJill_Anne Has the BEST Reputation

I'm one of them there girly girls...and I have acrylic nails..they are short to look like real nails. Im a teacher I dont' want long fang nails and I can't type on the computer with them. SOmetimes its hard to tell if mine are real or fake.

I go every two weeks to get them done. IF that is not up your alley..i think going every month or so to get a simple mani, where they clear coat your nails and just shape them is good.

Tags
manicure