Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > GENDER AND IDENTITY > The Butch Zone

The Butch Zone For all things "Butch"

Old 11-19-2012, 10:09 PM   #261
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Kelt, for taking the time to write that out. It's really great when people wear clothes that fit well.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 02:42 AM   #262
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation
Default Great thread

This company will custom tailor a suit, shirt, slacks, to your specifications.

They also have a fabric sample kit that you can order. Similar to Brooks Brothers quality but without the similar price tag.

Indochino

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 02:56 AM   #263
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation
Default Leather anyone?

This bike jacket is purely fun. On a Harley or off:

Rumble leather

― Rumi

The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 07:43 AM   #264
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by dykeumentary View Post
Thanks Kelt, for taking the time to write that out. It's really great when people wear clothes that fit well.
Yes, nothing bothers more than when the shoulder seams do not sit on the top of the shoulder and instead lands past the top of the shoulder moving down the arm. For some reason people never pay attention to this. My clothing pet peeve and something I watch for when buying clothes.

As Gemme said, I am pretty good at holding up a garment to see whether it will "hang right" (as I tend to describe it for some reason). I can fortunately buy off the rack pretty damn easily and don't have to get anything tailored.

"Hanging right" relates to how the neck of the shirt looks, as it can tell me how the entire shirt will look on my frame. If the neck appears to look ok (not too large on both casual and ress shirts), I will typically try the shirt on, just to make sure that it fits across my chest in the way that I deem flattering (i.e. it is not tight against my chest/my chest is not very visible).

Calvin Klein is where I tend to go for all my dress/work clothes. The shirts fit good for my neck, shoulder seam, and arm length. There is a Calvin Klein outlet near the beach where we frequent in the summer, so I just shop there. I also still have about 7 dress shirts that are 8 years old that still looks great from Express. They are perfect in arm length, also.

In terms of dress pants, I can buy right off the rack as well, due to having a more typical male shape. Of course, some styles of dress pants fit better than others, however.

When it comes to casual clothes, I buy various brands. Jeans, I have no problem as long as I get the right style. For cargo shorts, it seems as though they are now making them longer. However, I have found at some places (Old Navy, specifically), you have a choice of longer or shorter cargo shorts. I get the shorter because the longer are too long (and look dumb)since I am only 5'8". I can see how it would be even harder for shorter females who wear men's shorts. I tend to choose short length based on where it falls against my leg...there is a certain range that I believe is most attractive and anything below that just looks dumb/unattractive on me.

No doubt a tuck here and there by a tailor could improve the fit of my clothes, but honestly, that is too much hassle for me for everyday wear. For casual clothing I wouldn't even consider it...I would just pass on the item!

One more thing...dressing rooms...fortunately for the places I buy both my dress and casual clothes (outlets), they have gender neutral dressing rooms. If I was in a regular department store, I would probably find myself bringing a lot more stuff home to try!

Nice discussion! Thanks for the information Kelt.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 07:56 AM   #265
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Thanked 30,503 Times in 5,201 Posts
princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you Kelt!!!!! We sorta did do some of this already, especially the length from the shoulder seam to the bottom of the shirt. But i didn't think about the arm length and stuff. I'll update my list.

My mom sews so it is comforting that she can take a pair of Bully's sweat pants, for instance, and hem them up. It's hard to find Bully's exact inseam in the men's department. I was shocked to find that the men's department doesn't have a petite department. That's just dumb.

The shape or style is critical and i've learned you have to "allow room" if it is buttoned up the front.

Like Gemme said, you get better at it the more you do it. The last couple of things i've bought for her actually fit.

Trial and error. Just like anything, practice makes perfect.

Thanks for allowing those of us who buy clothes for our butches, to chime in.

I appreciate it!!!!
Maya Angelou
princessbelle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:26 AM   #266
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Shoes

I like these

Stacy Adams - Gallant

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #267
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

and these...

Johnston & Murphy Cap Lace Up

and these

Cole Haan - Air Kilgore Bit

and I need these

Cole Haan Air Giovanni Penny

― Rumi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:47 AM   #268
Medusa
Mentally Delicious

How Do You Identify?:
Queer High Femme, thank you very much
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mme.
Relationship Status:
Married to JD.

Thanked 42,871 Times in 7,835 Posts
Medusa has disabled reputation

Hey Belle!

I buy clothes for my Butch!

Jack is mostly able to wear clothing right off the rack with the occasional cuff hem and such for length. She wears men's clothes exclusively.

I will say that fit is not exclusive to gender. People of every gender have to be mindful of body shape. I've seen people of all genders wear things that may not be as suited to their body shape, especially if they are pear-shaped, have a very long torso, very short legs, etc.

Jack is long and lean, but I don't consider (and neither does she) her shape to be "typically male". She's a woman and her body is just long and lean.

We've had very good luck with certain brands fitting her body shape better than others. One of the coolest things is that we found that the "George" brand from Wal-Mart actually makes a nice suit pant that fits her almost perfectly. Other brands that we've found that fit her well are Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss. I think these brands have a lot of options with very slim cuts and these seem to suit her shape very well!

WEE!
Medusa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Medusa For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 09:56 AM   #269
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Default and then there are boots...

Love

Mezlan Bravo

Need these

Harley Davidson Ranger

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 10:05 AM   #270
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,782 Times in 4,470 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

I hate to shop, so I am lucky that Belle does.
My body type is not easy to shop for, no matter what department.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 10:10 AM   #271
dykeumentary

How Do You Identify?:
butch dyke

Thanked 1,547 Times in 359 Posts
dykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputationdykeumentary Has the BEST Reputation

I love fashion! I even go over to Manhattan during Fashion Week to "outfit watch" with my September Vogue, so this thread is fun.

I work in construction, so during the week my clothes are covered in caulk, glue, paint, schmutz and dreck of various types. Also, I play sports, where loose-fitting clothes with big numbers on the back are required. So when I go out on weekends, I like to wear nice things that fit and look good.

Sometimes when I see other butches at clubs, I get sad/confused. From what they are wearing, I wonder if they are trying to give the impression "Hey, I don't care!" or if they are trying to "dress up" like a manual laborer. I have a problem with both those scenarios: I think it is important to "care". Also, I resent when my livelihood is fetishized/sexualized in that way.
dykeumentary is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to dykeumentary For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 10:30 AM   #272
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

princessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputationprincessbelle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Medusa View Post
Hey Belle!

I buy clothes for my Butch!

Jack is mostly able to wear clothing right off the rack with the occasional cuff hem and such for length. She wears men's clothes exclusively.

I will say that fit is not exclusive to gender. People of every gender have to be mindful of body shape. I've seen people of all genders wear things that may not be as suited to their body shape, especially if they are pear-shaped, have a very long torso, very short legs, etc.

Jack is long and lean, but I don't consider (and neither does she) her shape to be "typically male". She's a woman and her body is just long and lean.

We've had very good luck with certain brands fitting her body shape better than others. One of the coolest things is that we found that the "George" brand from Wal-Mart actually makes a nice suit pant that fits her almost perfectly. Other brands that we've found that fit her well are Calvin Klein and Hugo Boss. I think these brands have a lot of options with very slim cuts and these seem to suit her shape very well!

WEE!
Great!!! I did buy Bully a Calvin Klein polo shirt a few months back that fit perfectly. I'll have to check out the other ones you listed.

I agree of course that everyone has "fit" issues. No matter the gender, that's a given. Since i'm new to buying men's clothes for Bully, there are certainly different challenges than what i have been used to. They are made to fit men. Someone should come out with a butch line of clothes, if they haven't already. Lengths, including arm length, shoulder width, tightness around the chest, etc has been a real learning experience for me.

I will definitely check out those brands you listed. As a matter of fact today is a shopping day!! Hooray!!!

Thanks for the tip!!!

Maya Angelou
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 12:12 PM   #273
macele

How Do You Identify?:
a bold-assed maximus
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 3,239 Times in 849 Posts
macele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputationmacele Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by princessbelle View Post
Great!!! I did buy Bully a Calvin Klein polo shirt a few months back that fit perfectly. I'll have to check out the other ones you listed.

I agree of course that everyone has "fit" issues. No matter the gender, that's a given. Since i'm new to buying men's clothes for Bully, there are certainly different challenges than what i have been used to. They are made to fit men. Someone should come out with a butch line of clothes, if they haven't already. Lengths, including arm length, shoulder width, tightness around the chest, etc has been a real learning experience for me.

I will definitely check out those brands you listed. As a matter of fact today is a shopping day!! Hooray!!!

Thanks for the tip!!!

i've wanted for a long time to have my own line of butch clothing. and have the coolest t shirts, like, "i love the slope of a curve". you know, reba mcentire has her own clothes. rob kardashian has his own sock line. socks! there's something else that doesn't always fit me right.
macele is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to macele For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 03:47 PM   #274
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Arrow HOT

I really like this

Paired with a great pair of Leather Levi's

― Rumi

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 04:53 PM   #275
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

I want one of these jacket vests preferably with a zip on hood.

Where can I get one , good priced?

ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 05:10 PM   #276
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffryder View Post
I want one of these jacket vests preferably with a zip on hood.

Where can I get one , good priced?

Hey ruff,

Check the company website to see where they sell their clothing.

Also check Ebay, a lot of retailers sell new clothing through there.

― Rumi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 06:46 PM   #277
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

Thanks for the tip!!!

That is something I alluded to earlier, but didn't say clearly. I have found that if one item of a certain brand fits me, other items might, too. Like I said earlier, Calvin Klein works for my dress clothes. Sleeve length is the biggest barrier for me when it comes to dress clothes and Calvin Klein fits the bill.

I like things to be really simple. I like to get in and get out. I find a brand or two that fits my build and then can feel confident in buying. No doubt this isn't for sure in all cases, but it is something to stick in the back of your mind after finding something that works for you. Since the Calvin Klein polo shirt fit Bully so well, belle, you may want to not only go back to Calvin Klein when you need another polo shirt, but consider if the rest of the clothing line would fit her well, too.

ETA: I saw one or two butch clothing lines on the web before. One, was custom made clothing...ummmm, no. The other had only a handle of pieces, none of which I was attracted to. I think we are still waiting...

Old 11-20-2012, 06:55 PM   #278
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
I like these a lot. I think it is difficult to find an attractive brown for belts and shoes, and I like this one.

In terms of shape I love them as well, but they are a bit long. They would make my feet appear to big. I am not sure how to make this make sense...one can have a similar style of shoe (and I do), but it not look as elongated as this. The elongation is what does not look attractive on me.

Old 11-20-2012, 06:57 PM   #279
princessbelle
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
femme ones

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
That is something I alluded to earlier, but didn't say clearly. I have found that if one item of a certain brand fits me, other items might, too. Like I said earlier, Calvin Klein works for my dress clothes. Sleeve length is the biggest barrier for me when it comes to dress clothes and Calvin Klein fits the bill.

I like things to be really simple. I like to get in and get out. I find a brand or two that fits my build and then can feel confident in buying. No doubt this isn't for sure in all cases, but it is something to stick in the back of your mind after finding something that works for you. Since the Calvin Klein polo shirt fit Bully so well, belle, you may want to not only go back to Calvin Klein when you need another polo shirt, but consider if the rest of the clothing line would fit her well, too.

ETA: I saw one or two butch clothing lines on the web before. One, was custom made clothing...ummmm, no. The other had only a handle of pieces, none of which I was attracted to. I think we are still waiting...
Well we could start one (Butch/TG/FtM clothing line). All of us!!! Like a family business. I started knitting tonight and i've learned how to do a cast stitch. Heck i'm almost a pro.

I'll make the sweaters.

Honestly, it ain't a bad idea. We could get that island Medusa wants and all live together.

Happily ever after.

Maya Angelou
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to princessbelle For This Useful Post:
Old 11-20-2012, 07:04 PM   #280
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,685 Times in 7,714 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
No wonder i adore you!!! Works even better with one of her white dress shirts and no bi-panty involvement.

Wonderful!!!!! I look forward to seeing it!!!!

I am getting way better. I know to look for shorter shirts, shorter shorts, even though they are long when she wears them. No stripes. And the best shirts i've found are polo ...those rock!!!! And are hot!!!!

Did i mention they are hot?

hey belle..I love Polo shirts..and have several in solid colors...NO stripes for me either. I pair mine with either jeans (black or blue) and cargo shorts. I like mine in shorter length as well. I am 5'9" and I do not like them to be mid calf..lol
I LURVE this thread.....thanks to all of you..I lurk here..often...