Old 03-18-2011, 09:03 AM   #61
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Sorry it has taken me so long to get back in here to squelch some of the Myths surrounding nail enhancements. I love what I do and I do what I love so for me finding what works for my clients matters. Whether it is working with their natural nail or adding an enhancement, be it gel or acrylic. I am providing a link to one of the Nail industry's magazines. Please feel free to ask me questions, if I don't know the answer I will find the information for you. Also, take a look at the other articles found on this website. Have a fantastic day!

http://www.nailsmag.com/page/91131/handouts#clients

Feel free to look at all of the other article meant for Nail Technicians
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #62
DamselFly

How Do You Identify?:
QueerStoneFemme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Ma'am or Damsel
Relationship Status:
single

DamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST ReputationDamselFly Has the BEST Reputation
Default from high to low

i used to be a high femme, high maintenance, the whole thing. as i've gotten older, Taoist/Buddhist, i've simplified my life a great deal. the last FtM i was involved with, however, adored my hands and liked my nails long, saying they brought out the elegance of my hands even more. the rest he did not care about, xixiTao. after i came out here to the country, though, i've let that go, too. well, the length of the nails. that just got in the way of general work. but i do keep them up. i take vitamins and eat healthily. and i've discovered Sally Hansen's Complete Salon Manicure. this is a wonderful polish-base coat, strengthener, and top coat, all in one polish! i use only Sally Hansen products, hough as i'm getting more environmentally conscious in this area (nails), i'm looking for a comparable one that's greener. my nails are the only remnant of the high femme i used to be. i do enjoy giving or getting a manicure and polishing my nails a pretty colour. i generally go for corals or mauves now. no loud reds for me.
namaste,
DamselFly
to make my own contribution
(Buddhist prayer, a favorite of H.H.)

DamselFly is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2011, 05:56 AM   #63
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

As a nail tech I try so very hard to keep people educated. If there is anything I can help any of you with let me know. If I don't know it I will find the information for you.

DamselFly, I know what it is like to be dedicated to a certain product, you may however give Sparitual or Nubar a try. I do like Essie products and Zoya and I must not forget OPI. Here are a couple of links.

http://theveganproject.ca/category/b...n-the-outside/

or try this one

http://www.bynubar.com/store/pages/C...FreeVegan.html

http://www.zoya.com/

Enjoy!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 03-23-2011, 09:11 AM   #64
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Im so glad i found

this thread....

I keep my nails long and polished i spend nearly two hours a week on them myself. This is my time for me.

I have tried in the past overlay to keep them protected however any product other then polish actually hurts after about a week, seems to be to heavy for my nails.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-07-2011, 10:02 AM   #65
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Oh fabulous! Another thread that I desperately need

I've only been wearing nail polish for a few months and ITS EATING MY NAILS!!! I have major breakage on every single nail and have now been forced to cut them all down to the quick. Why is nail polish, considering I use a decent nail hardener, ruining my nails?
Old 04-08-2011, 06:00 AM   #66
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

I have to ask what you are using for nail polish? What nail hardener are you using? How long have you had the product? Although I am NOT a doctor your best line of defense is to go and see one. I can make suggestions as to what could possibly be going on but that won't do you any good unless you take action by seeing your physician. Our skin, hair, and nails are one of the first things that show sign of a underlying issue, please by all means get seen. In the mean time stop all use of nail products use something that is hydrating for you nails, I suggest lanolin as the molecular composition allows for easy absorption and it is natural (for the most part) and hydrate your body with water. Please keep us updated as to what transpires.

QUOTE=Quintease;315449]Oh fabulous! Another thread that I desperately need

I've only been wearing nail polish for a few months and ITS EATING MY NAILS!!! I have major breakage on every single nail and have now been forced to cut them all down to the quick. Why is nail polish, considering I use a decent nail hardener, ruining my nails?[/QUOTE]
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 04-08-2011, 08:11 AM   #67
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
I have to ask what you are using for nail polish? What nail hardener are you using? How long have you had the product? Although I am NOT a doctor your best line of defense is to go and see one. I can make suggestions as to what could possibly be going on but that won't do you any good unless you take action by seeing your physician. Our skin, hair, and nails are one of the first things that show sign of a underlying issue, please by all means get seen. In the mean time stop all use of nail products use something that is hydrating for you nails, I suggest lanolin as the molecular composition allows for easy absorption and it is natural (for the most part) and hydrate your body with water. Please keep us updated as to what transpires.
Really?

Actually now that you mention it my hair is also really thin and brittle at the moment. If it's a nutrition thing I'd be completely astonished as normally my diet is rubbish, but my bf has been force-feeding me healthy food. I'll try the hydration route, thank you!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:01 AM   #68
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
Really?

Actually now that you mention it my hair is also really thin and brittle at the moment. If it's a nutrition thing I'd be completely astonished as normally my diet is rubbish, but my bf has been force-feeding me healthy food. I'll try the hydration route, thank you!

Quintease, I think it would be important for you to have some blood work done to have a couple of things checked out. My experience tells me you should see your doctor, sometimes it is something so simple as a deficiency that is easily resolved either with medication. Keep us posted.

I don't think you ever said what kind of polish you were using, care to share? Since everyone has a different idea of what is a good product it would be nice to know what other folks are using for nail care products. For me I use OPI and Zoya, both of them are excellent products. I have recently started using OPI Axxium gel polishes in the salon I work in, they last a long time and remain shiny until they are removed. Ask your local salon about this product. Until later...

Happy Polishing!
Old 04-09-2011, 07:35 AM   #69
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation
Default butch with an actual response...

...so thinking some of it could just be genetics &/or diet...
<<<<<------good nails & great (so I have been told) nail beds..
Dunno how or why...
But all I have done for a LONG time is make sure cuticles are pushed down, under nail is clean, & Eucerin lotion my fingers so they don't crack(no dyes or smells...cause I am allergic to most of those)

And if doing things that will possibly hurt ur hands...wear latex or leather gloves.

Old 09-10-2011, 01:58 PM   #70
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Introducing Red Carpet by Ulta

omg i have been having my nails done at the shop getting the gel set because my manicures last longer...

oh holy hell I hate junk mail well ULTA sent me a catalog and they now have red carpet gel for sale geez...i love doing my own nails it gives me some me time ...

im freaking stoked they have 36 colors currently available and the the cure warmer.

has anyone used this product?

i damn near had an orgasm i kid you not!

im going shopping...ill let you all know what i think ....shit and i hate shopping i probably have more nail polish than is necessary however i just cant help myself!

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
Old 09-10-2011, 05:30 PM   #71
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by gaea View Post
omg i have been having my nails done at the shop getting the gel set because my manicures last longer...

oh holy hell I hate junk mail well ULTA sent me a catalog and they now have red carpet gel for sale geez...i love doing my own nails it gives me some me time ...

im freaking stoked they have 36 colors currently available and the the cure warmer.

has anyone used this product?

i damn near had an orgasm i kid you not!

im going shopping...ill let you all know what i think ....shit and i hate shopping i probably have more nail polish than is necessary however i just cant help myself!
oh my goodness i am so incredibly disappointed sheesh my local ulta did not carry all 5 items needed to get me started with the gel manicure thus forcing me to have the sales clerk call all the other ultas in my area trust me i was willing to drive if i could have it all today......only to find out that none of the stores within a 30 mile radius had all 5 products at once...thus forcing me to go online and place an order for all 5.

10 day wait...im so excited....i find i can hardly wait.

Old 09-10-2011, 06:04 PM   #72
Abigail Crabby

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Princess
Relationship Status:
Single, but sociable

Thanked 9,667 Times in 2,484 Posts
Abigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST ReputationAbigail Crabby Has the BEST Reputation

I have tried growing my own nails to no avail. I used to have acrylics and stopped doing them for over a year. used nail hardners etc, and still they broke at every turn.

I am going monday to have my acrylics done again. I have some of the cutest nail designs I got for valentines day that I am going to have applied while I am there. Waste not ..want not I say lol

I'm actually bouncing back and forth from getting them done in a nice french tip or my usual CMF red that I adore. i suppose I will make up my mind when I get there lol

Turns whatever happens to you into a positive...
Abigail Crabby is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-10-2011, 09:27 PM   #73
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abigail Crabby View Post
I have tried growing my own nails to no avail. I used to have acrylics and stopped doing them for over a year. used nail hardners etc, and still they broke at every turn.

I am going monday to have my acrylics done again. I have some of the cutest nail designs I got for valentines day that I am going to have applied while I am there. Waste not ..want not I say lol

I'm actually bouncing back and forth from getting them done in a nice french tip or my usual CMF red that I adore. i suppose I will make up my mind when I get there lol

may i suggest some vitamin b complex to help with your natural nails that and the gel manicures will assist in helping your nails grow out without tearing them up.

Old 09-11-2011, 07:17 AM   #74
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Quote:
may i suggest some vitamin b complex to help with your natural nails that and the gel manicures will assist in helping your nails grow out without tearing them up.
*wanders in... I need to say something here as to what will tear your nails up... It is NOT the product (unless it is MMA, which is used in most of the cheap nail places) it is the application that can ruin your nail beds. This is the kind of misinformation that makes me mad! I have acrylic on my nails and they grow out just fine.
The nail industry has come a long way from the old school ways of totally tearing up the nail bed in order to get the product to adhere. The product I use only requires that I remove the *shine* off of the natural nail, nothing more.

P.S. Gel nails are the SAME as Acrylic, they are made up of the same thing, just applied in a different manner.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
Old 09-11-2011, 11:19 AM   #75
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
*wanders in... I need to say something here as to what will tear your nails up... It is NOT the product (unless it is MMA, which is used in most of the cheap nail places) it is the application that can ruin your nail beds. This is the kind of misinformation that makes me mad! I have acrylic on my nails and they grow out just fine.
The nail industry has come a long way from the old school ways of totally tearing up the nail bed in order to get the product to adhere. The product I use only requires that I remove the *shine* off of the natural nail, nothing more.

P.S. Gel nails are the SAME as Acrylic, they are made up of the same thing, just applied in a different manner.
Good to know, i had no idea about that. my experience has been as follows

Acrylics sit heavy on my nails and begin to hurt really bad after a week or so. I cannot wear them. I have tried over the years.

I have found the gel to not sit heavy and actually can wear it longer.

what causes the breakage weakness from acrylics and or gels?

ps i wasnt trying to make anyone/you mad

Old 09-11-2011, 11:26 AM   #76
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,352 Times in 2,669 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation

I had the most fabulous manicure over the summer.

It was a kind of gel that was cured with a little lamp.

I had a deep dark blue that was so gorgeous, but

I was swimming in a chlorinated pool a few days a week, and

My nails were shredding apart underneath the nice hard polish.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-11-2011, 11:53 AM   #77
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chancie View Post
I had the most fabulous manicure over the summer.

It was a kind of gel that was cured with a little lamp.

I had a deep dark blue that was so gorgeous, but

I was swimming in a chlorinated pool a few days a week, and

My nails were shredding apart underneath the nice hard polish.

uh oh..that cant be good.

I swim, i don't have issues like that. is it that chlorine is just no good for fingernails in general?

Old 09-11-2011, 12:44 PM   #78
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,769 Times in 25,658 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
uh oh..that cant be good.

I swim, i don't have issues like that. is it that chlorine is just no good for fingernails in general?
Chlorine is not good for us, period. It dries and damages hair, nails and skin.

However, it's a necessary evil for pools, jacuzzis, etc.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 06:54 PM   #79
SugarLips

How Do You Identify?:
jeans and t-shirt girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

SugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST ReputationSugarLips Has the BEST Reputation

I think the best thing you can do for your nails (skin & hair, too) is to make sure you are getting enough vitamins and minerals. Your overall health and medications you may be taking can effect your nails and breakage as well.

One thing I love to do is once a week take some time to really pamper myself. I take a long bath, put a mask on my face and give myself a good hand and foot massage... It's even better if you have someone else to help!
SugarLips is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to SugarLips For This Useful Post:
Old 09-11-2011, 07:09 PM   #80
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

gaea, it is more the misinformation that pisses me off. I am not upset with you, I am upset with the person who told you this bull-crap...
what ruins the natural nail is illegal products that contain MMA and a heavy handed tech. Most of the non traditional nail places use bigger brushes that contain more of the monomer and you are bound to have it get on the cuticle area which in turn causes over exposure. Let me see if I can find the article I hand out when I taught. I will work on finding it later this week. Sorry for the rant...

**puts her soap box away...

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -

Tags
manicure