Closed Thread

Old 10-12-2017, 07:13 AM   #1021
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

I really think a lot of idioms have different meanings regions to regions which only seems logical!

Back in the Midwest, to turn on a dime meant that things can change or did change in a moments notice. I've noticed other idioms posted here that have meant different things as well. I think it's very interesting
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 07:16 AM   #1022
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

"In The Blink Of An Eye"...

If something happens or is done in the blink of an eye, it happens or is done very quickly. So quickly as to seem almost imperceptible.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:44 AM   #1023
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Don't Be Such A Stick In The Mud".............

A person unwilling to participate in activities; a curmudgeon or party pooper.
Old 10-12-2017, 08:51 AM   #1024
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

" BLIND AS A BAT"..........

Someone who refuses to notice an obvious thing. An unwillingness to recognize problems or bad things.

Sidebar: Bats are not really blind....
Old 10-12-2017, 08:52 AM   #1025
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 8,588 Times in 1,857 Posts
Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

"That sticks in my craw"

Stick in one's craw: to cause considerable or abiding resentment; rankle: She said I was pompous, and that really stuck in my craw.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-12-2017, 09:03 AM   #1026
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,928 Times in 9,908 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsie View Post
"That sticks in my craw"

Stick in one's craw: to cause considerable or abiding resentment; rankle: She said I was pompous, and that really stuck in my craw.
Southern members of mY family say this, allllll the time!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
" BLIND AS A BAT"..........

Someone who refuses to notice an obvious thing. An unwillingness to recognize problems or bad things.

Sidebar: Bats are not really blind....
<<<<<~~LQQKS @ homoe.....
Old 10-12-2017, 09:07 AM   #1027
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"To Have A Burr Under My Saddle"..........

To be irritated by something or someone. Someone or something that is a constant cause of trouble or annoyance.

Sidebar: Once someone told me I was a burr under their saddle, it was rather hurtful I must say.........
Old 10-12-2017, 09:08 AM   #1028
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Southern members of mY family say this, allllll the time!

<<<<<~~LQQKS @ homoe.....

WHY you looking at ME? You can't see anything anyways.......
Old 10-12-2017, 09:17 AM   #1029
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
WHY you looking at ME? You can't see anything anyways.......
LMAO!

<<<<<<<<~~~ I see you purrfectly, so there, silly butch bunny boi!
Old 10-13-2017, 06:37 AM   #1030
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"More Power To Your Elbow"........

This is said to express praise or encouragement to someone for doing something. Acknowledging a well done job.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:39 AM   #1031
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Having A Cast Iron Stomach".......

If you can eat all sorts of food, and drink what you like, without any indigestion, discomfort or bad effects.
Old 10-13-2017, 06:43 AM   #1032
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Put Something On The Long Finger....

If you put something on the long finger, you postpone it indefinitely.
Old 10-14-2017, 08:23 AM   #1033
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Actions Speak Louder Than Words".......................

Actions are more revealing of one's true character since it is easy to say things or make promises, but it takes effort to do things and follow through.
Old 10-16-2017, 05:44 PM   #1034
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

'Make Hay While The Sun Shines"...........

To take advantage of favorable conditions; to make the most of an opportunity when it is available!
Old 10-16-2017, 05:51 PM   #1035
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"A Rolling Stone Gathers No Moss"...............

By not staying in one stay you gather or cultivate very little if not anything.

Sidebar: A rolling stone gathers no moss is an old proverb, credited to Publilius Syrus, who in his Sententiae states, people who are always moving, with no roots in one place or another, avoid responsibilities and cares.
Old 10-16-2017, 08:55 PM   #1036
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Homoe????

Thank you for all the posts you've made about all kinds of sayings and idioms and proverbs! I appreciate you, so very much!
Old 10-16-2017, 08:59 PM   #1037
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
"Laugh, And The World Laughs With You; Weep, And You Weep Alone"...

People prefer cheerfulness in others. A person who is cheerful will have company, but someone who is gloomy will often be alone.

Sidebar: Ella Wheeler Wilcox, a poet of the late nineteenth and early twentieth centuries, is the author of this saying.
"Laugh, and the world laughs with you; Weep, and you weep alone; For the sad old earth must borrow its mirth, But has trouble enough of its own".
This is Wilcox's exact quote!
Old 10-17-2017, 08:09 AM   #1038
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

"Fait Accompli"....................

A decision that has already been made or something that has already been accomplished or completed.
Old 10-17-2017, 08:58 AM   #1039
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Homoe, what about phrases of thought which are only uttered through mnemomic device ....like the hook signature melody from the movie, Jaws???

Mnemonic Device (definition): Techniques an person uses to help improve one's ability to remember. It's an memory technique to help your brain to better encode and recall important information.

No words are spoken. Yet, in particular cases, the hook signature line of an orchestral arrangement, in this case it's from the movie Jaws, which invokes the signal that there is something scary going on--- something that isn't always readily seen by the human eye.

Old 10-17-2017, 11:14 AM   #1040
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,264 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

Horrible depressing "monkey chatter" that assaults your brain in the early morning hours when you first wake up.

Dump that crap. That's why you have a glorious happy day ahead of you.
The Following User Says Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Closed Thread