Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > MEMBER NEWS, ANNOUNCEMENTS, EVENTS > Newbie Central > Newbie FAQ

Old 11-07-2010, 03:29 PM   #1
little_ms_sunshyne

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 12,242 Times in 2,540 Posts
little_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputation
Default Privacy?

Can I make my information and pictures private from non members?
little_ms_sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to little_ms_sunshyne For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2010, 03:31 PM   #2
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Speaking of privacy; why are guests allowed into the forum to read? That kinda makes me feel icky!
Old 11-07-2010, 03:37 PM   #3
Gayla
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky Butch Top
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm not picky
Relationship Status:
She makes me dance like a fool and forget how to breathe.

Thanked 7,078 Times in 1,966 Posts
Gayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST ReputationGayla Has the BEST Reputation

I can't link from my phone but there are some recent posts in the "Ask A Moderator" thread that address both these questions.
Gayla is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gayla For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2010, 05:04 PM   #4
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_ms_sunshyne View Post
Can I make my information and pictures private from non members?
The galleries are private. One has to be a member and signed in to see them. Your posts on the threads outside of The Inner Sanctum are public and can be found by anyone online, not just members here.

Sometimes we forget that this is still a part of the interwebz because the site feels so safe and cozy but we must always keep in mind not to post stuff that you wouldn't want just anyone seeing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsarecool View Post
Speaking of privacy; why are guests allowed into the forum to read? That kinda makes me feel icky!
Guests are allowed in the public areas because how can those who need to find the site without being able to see the site? The site projects a positive image of our community, I think, and that means opening our collective arms to those who haven't found us yet. Of course, yes, there are going to be those who are less than stellar that find us, but overall, I think we've done great.

You found us!

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:06 PM   #5
Point~Of~No~Return
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Andro-SMILES
Preferred Pronoun?:
Andro~Hey You~Yeah I mean you!~
Relationship Status:
i hold the keys to my heart and i am only willing to give it to one

Point~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST Reputation

i have a question

i was reviewing the terms of service and i am down for and love this one but i have a question since i am considering getting a paid membership i was noticing that it allows you to be invisible

the TOS i have a question on is

"Drama - "Break-up posts", trolling, shit-stirring, stalking, or harassment of any member"

how do you know if you are being stalked or harassed if people can mask they are checking out your profile and can see you online with out your knowledge

just wondering thanks for any and all feedback

Point~Of~No~Return is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2012, 05:10 PM   #6
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Point~Of~No~Return View Post
i have a question

i was reviewing the terms of service and i am down for and love this one but i have a question since i am considering getting a paid membership i was noticing that it allows you to be invisible

the TOS i have a question on is

"Drama - "Break-up posts", trolling, shit-stirring, stalking, or harassment of any member"

how do you know if you are being stalked or harassed if people can mask they are checking out your profile and can see you online with out your knowledge

just wondering thanks for any and all feedback

You can see who is checking out your profile, the ones who are invisible are not invisible to the mods. They see everyone, so if you have concerns I would suggest contacting one of them.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 07:58 PM   #7
Point~Of~No~Return
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Andro-SMILES
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Point~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST ReputationPoint~Of~No~Return Has the BEST Reputation

ok so you will be able to tell if invisible people have visited your profile then?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:01 PM   #8
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
ok so you will be able to tell if invisible people have visited your profile then?
Only if you get the Sentinel subscription.
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:02 PM   #9
Point~Of~No~Return
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Andro-SMILES
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

ok cool so there is a way to protect yourself from those behaviors

thanks for the input!
The Following User Says Thank You to Point~Of~No~Return For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:06 PM   #10
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
ok cool so there is a way to protect yourself from those behaviors

thanks for the input!
Actually there is no way to protect yourself from anyones online behavior only ones own behavior. Someone visiting your profile is not necessarily doing so against the TOS. But you still have the option to report them and let the Mods handle it.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:09 PM   #11
Point~Of~No~Return
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Andro-SMILES
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Ok it is always good to know though

that was one of the questions i had about membership since there are the terms of service how do you prove it with the invisibility status

any other tips or suggestions for online safety on your site?
Old 03-12-2012, 08:13 PM   #12
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Quote:
Ok it is always good to know though

that was one of the questions i had about membership since there are the terms of service how do you prove it with the invisibility status

any other tips or suggestions for online safety on your site?
There is no such animal as online safety on any site. Anyone can read anyone else's posts except for the red zone and another forum. So if you are expecting to be invisible, that isn't going to happen. Your posts are still going to be visible.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:17 PM   #13
Point~Of~No~Return
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Andro-SMILES
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

it is just nice to know that the serious nature of problems are handled by the administrators of the website the terms of service are awesome

i was directed to this website from a friend and i find it to be a safe area to go

i am sure others feel comfort knowing that the moderators and administrators are stern on the rules and privacy of others

the gossip, across domains, it gives a comforting feeling i am happy and excited to be here!

thank you for the information
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Point~Of~No~Return For This Useful Post:
Old 03-12-2012, 08:24 PM   #14
Point~Of~No~Return
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Andro-SMILES
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

thank you all so much for your input!!

i really enjoyed this topic and answers
Old 03-12-2012, 08:42 PM   #15
Point~Of~No~Return
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Andro-SMILES
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

awesome to know!
Old 03-13-2012, 05:33 PM   #16
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation
Default thoughts~

I am confused about some terminology that comes up at times regarding some of the "privacy issues".

With the internet being public domain, anything you write on a public forum as I understand it becomes public information. Just Google your screen name and put in butch femme lol it's out there. I google myself frequently because of the nature of my work, and believe me it's all out there. So while this is a group unto it's self, because it's the internet I think we need to keep in mind that once we hit submit, our sharing's are now recorded public information. HMMM makes one think, right?

So participating on the internet is not private. Reading can be, but written information is not, this includes profiles, forum posts, anything written down. I believe images as well.

My next thought in this convo is the loose usage of the word "stalking". This being a public forum, we all wonder who is on here, and what they are about. That's why we read each others posts, look at profiles, comment etc. There are some eloquent writers and really funny people on here. People with strong opinions as well as those looking for love or new friends. It's all part of the online community experience. So if someone is interesting in their online presence, it may attract onlookers, followers even. This is not stalking, in my mind. LOL look at my profile all you want follow my posts, it's a compliment isn't it? I know there are people on here who's expressions interest me, and at times I will go see what they have been up to. Isn't that part of what an online community is all about?

Where we cross the line in my mind is when a member is being verbally attacked, or contacted PERSONALLY via forum or PM by someone who's behavior is bothersome or threatening. I think this is where stalking comes in. And intervention may be necessary. I think it's important to be clear about this. We all joke about who's stalking who today, and I always understood that to mean they were interested in what you are saying or doing, like it's a fun thing.

I guess my point in all of this is if a person is not contacting you personally, harassing you directly or indirectly, take a deep breath and enjoy the public sharing. The question then becomes does one feel safe sharing themselves in a public place, where what is written and shared can and will be seen by others basically when ever they want. I understand some people have reasons for being private, and needing to feel safe, so you have to know you are ready for all this.....

Anyway,
xoxox Pashi (who knows this can be google-ed)
Old 03-13-2012, 06:26 PM   #17
Chancie

How Do You Identify?:
queer femme-inist
Relationship Status:
I'm lucky.

1 Highscore

Thanked 14,330 Times in 2,661 Posts
Chancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST ReputationChancie Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up

So I did a search on 'chancie', 'butch', and 'femme', and an archived birthday thread from the old site came up, and boy, was that bittersweet.
Chancie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chancie For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2012, 07:46 PM   #18
The Oopster

How Do You Identify?:
transgender male
Preferred Pronoun?:
he

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,655 Times in 759 Posts
The Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST ReputationThe Oopster Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Okay -- We just did a test.

In addition to being a Moderator, I am also a paid Sentinel member. I never use the invisible thing, but we created a new test member and I went invisible.

I visited that profile three times, and Medusa (as the test member) could see three visits, but not by who.

So, if you are a Sentinel member and another Sentinel member visits your profile, you can see they were there.

If you are a non-paid member, or at the BFP Supporter I or II (And we appreciate you all equally!) if a Sentinel member visits your profile, you will not be able to see it.

Moderators or Admins, regardless if they have a paid membership can see who has been in your profile, even if you can't.
out of curiosity can the mods and admins see how often someone visits the profile or just that they have visited it?
The Oopster is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to The Oopster For This Useful Post:
Old 03-13-2012, 08:23 PM   #19
suebee

How Do You Identify?:
TOWANDA!
Preferred Pronoun?:
Queen Bee
Relationship Status:
Good 'n married.

1 Highscore

Location: Eastern Canada. But if I make a wrong turn at the lights I get stopped by a border guard.
Thanked 2,759 Times in 820 Posts
suebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputationsuebee Has the BEST Reputation

Canadian currency at par I presume?
Old 03-13-2012, 08:26 PM   #20
Point~Of~No~Return
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Andro-SMILES
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
I think these are really good examples, Pashi. Just looking at someones profile or posts is not "stalking" them. If you have a bad relationship with them, or they are your estranged ex, then while I don't necessarily think it's stalking (but could be) it is at the very least, creepy. Why do you care what someone you don't like has to say unless you are actively trying to find fault, mock them or make them feel uncomfortable?

If we choose to post something here, it can be read. Do I think it's okay to post it elsewhere without asking permission? No. That's creepy too. We can either decide to put ourselves out there with a good heart and the hope that folks reading it will have good hearts and no malicious agenda, or hide our sunny little hearts under a rock
^5

we can all hope that there is no malicious intentions of another

it's just nice to know that the forum takes their terms of service seriously it gives a very comforting feeling

but the main question was for the being invisible
The Following User Says Thank You to Point~Of~No~Return For This Useful Post: