Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing

Breakups, Lessons Learned, Healing PLEASE do not use this forum for ugliness or nasty posts.

Old 05-19-2011, 12:40 AM   #1
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation
Default Breaking up

Does anyone agree here that when you break up with someone you go through a form of grieving ?
Old 05-19-2011, 08:08 AM   #2
PinkieLee

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
I need ya boo, gotta see ya boo

Thanked 13,088 Times in 3,051 Posts
PinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST ReputationPinkieLee Has the BEST Reputation

Of course you go through a period of grieving during any breakup...
Grieving the loss of the relationship, the friendship & hopes for the future.

It's a natural emotion that should be faced. My advice is to not let the grief consume every aspect of your life. Yes you feel pain, but you've still got to get up and go to work. Yes your heart is hurting and your life is upside down, but the sun is still gonna come up every day.

*you never know how strong you are, until being strong is your only choice*
PinkieLee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 08:16 AM   #3
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

Obviously, it depends on how much feelings you had for the person. Most times, the one who walks away feels no, or little grief. Naturally, every situation is different. Sometimes the one who walks away is hurting more...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Merlin View Post
Does anyone agree here that when you break up with someone you go through a form of grieving ?

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to cinderella For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2011, 08:43 AM   #4
FlowerFem

How Do You Identify?:
femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
dating

FlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST ReputationFlowerFem Has the BEST Reputation
Default grieve

Of course you do. If you loved them. But I've had breakups where it was a relief. They were a burden or unhealthy. They offered very little so there was'nt much to miss, or be sad about.
FlowerFem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to FlowerFem For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2011, 08:55 AM   #5
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

I believe that leaving a relationship can be a long drawn out, difficult, and sad process. It is often times very painful and can bring about a great deal of grief for the person leaving as well. Yes it can also be a relief, but that doesn't necessarily make it any easier. No matter which side of the coin you're on it's a loss, and loss is never easy. Just my opinion.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2011, 09:18 AM   #6
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

I think it depends on the person, situation and length of time the relationship lasted. Some people don't take relationships as seriously as others, and maybe they find it easier to move on, while others need time. Also, if the relationship was fairly short, then that might lessen the impact on both parties. I think the longer the relationship, the harder it probably is to come out of it for most people.

Last edited by EnderD_503; 05-19-2011 at 09:38 AM. Reason: typos galore
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 05-19-2011, 09:30 AM   #7
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,383 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I think sometimes the grief we feel is for how we wish the relationship had been.....even if we were the one to walk away.

Grief for the good times, the good parts, the person you loved but maybe just are not, for what ever reason, compatible with any more.

Grief that the picture you had for your life was not real.

Grief that you have to start over.

Grief that you look at yourself differently.

Grief.
Old 05-19-2011, 04:28 PM   #8
Merlin

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Knight in shining armour.
Relationship Status:
Spoken for

Merlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST ReputationMerlin Has the BEST Reputation

Heartbreak.

It's happened to me every time .. And it feels like a little piece of my heart dies when a relationship fizzles out.
Old 05-19-2011, 05:08 PM   #9
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Friends of mine and I have experienced the 'losing three months' phenomenon. When you walk around in a daze for 3 months and come out the other end as though it began the day before. I came out of one once to discover I was already in another relationship! What a mistake that was

There is never anything nice about breakups with someone who you once loved, adored and cherished. I'm hoping I'll never have to go through another ever again.
Old 05-20-2011, 05:09 AM   #10
T4Texas

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Ready to play again!

T4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST Reputation

I think you absoloutely do go through a grieving process. It's because of the loss and the knowledge that you won't be seeing that person again or sharing those little things you used to do on a daily basis. I think when breakups are ugly, with lots of hurt feelings, slanderous accusations and such, the grieving process is shortened as feelings of love can turn to hate pretty quickly. But even then, there is still that element of loss. I believe we go through three phases. First sadness, then anger and finally a kind of realization settles in that we are moving on which is the real goal. One thing is for certain, that time takes care of it all.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:18 AM   #11
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

Sometimes I ask myself it is worth it.
Old 05-20-2011, 08:37 AM   #12
cinderella

How Do You Identify?:
Pinky's mommy :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Su Majestad
Relationship Status:
Happy with my puppy

Thanked 1,502 Times in 637 Posts
cinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputationcinderella Has the BEST Reputation

I'm so sorry, Merlin...but I know just how that feels. I've been thru it so many times now, I don't have a heart anymore...

Quote:
Heartbreak.

It's happened to me every time .. And it feels like a little piece of my heart dies when a relationship fizzles out.

The is an organ of fire.
cinderella is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2011, 09:02 AM   #13
blackboot

How Do You Identify?:
TransgenderMasculineQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
H with a y
Relationship Status:
fluxing the solder.

1 Highscore

blackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputationblackboot Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by T4Texas View Post
I think you absoloutely do go through a grieving process. It's because of the loss and the knowledge that you won't be seeing that person again or sharing those little things you used to do on a daily basis. I think when breakups are ugly, with lots of hurt feelings, slanderous accusations and such, the grieving process is shortened as feelings of love can turn to hate pretty quickly. But even then, there is still that element of loss. I believe we go through three phases. First sadness, then anger and finally a kind of realization settles in that we are moving on which is the real goal. One thing is for certain, that time takes care of it all.
This really resonates with me. I had a sixteen year relationship end. Ugly would be an understatement. I took time for myself. I sought out counseling and found a wonderful Therapist. I stayed single--on purpose for nearly five years. Time did take care of it and I learned about myself and that I had to "do the work." That hard stuff about loving yourself before you attempt to love another. I met that wonderful someone on the dash site and now am having the healthiest relationship I have ever had. Optimist? Probably. But it took time and work.
blackboot is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to blackboot For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 09:34 AM   #14
Jar

How Do You Identify?:
TG Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, da bomb...
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,340 Times in 534 Posts
Jar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST ReputationJar Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy

For sure! You grieve for lost dreams, love that you have to watch die, the feeling that you were loved ... you miss the person. I'm going through it now and some days it feels like I'm trying to quit smoking. It's like I'm going through withdrawals from it all. It's miserable!

Sorry Merlin!
Jar is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 14 Users Say Thank You to Jar For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 09:56 AM   #15
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
Sometimes I ask myself it is worth it.
Absolutely! Every person who has walked into my life has changed it in some way. I wouldn't be the person I am or have the life I do had I stayed with the first person who loved me. I regret nothing

actually that's a lie, I regret one or two but hey, silver lining and all that
Old 05-20-2011, 10:01 AM   #16
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Therapy, exercise, having great friends around, getting things accomplished all seem to help.

My mother died when I was 13 and I survived, so breakups..while painful...are not going to destroy me or make me not have a heart. I try to look at it like we each learned from each other what we needed to and now its time to go on the next chapter. Heart even bigger for having loved.

So yes, it's worth it...but definitely worth looking at ways to keep out of trouble without resorting to a hostage situation girlfriendship. At least not right this second.
Old 05-20-2011, 10:03 AM   #17
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
Absolutely! Every person who has walked into my life has changed it in some way. I wouldn't be the person I am or have the life I do had I stayed with the first person who loved me. I regret nothing

actually that's a lie, I regret one or two but hey, silver lining and all that

Ha, we posted at same time. Agreed! I have gained something from all of my over 2 month relationships lololol.

No regrets! I need that! Thank you Q!
Old 05-20-2011, 04:23 PM   #18
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

I am grieving right now and trying to figure out how we can stay in our 'community' at the same time. We have good days and bad days. This is the hardest breakup I have EVER been through. I seriously thought this was my forever.

But here I am. The hardest part for me can be trying to let go of thinking of her. Sometimes it drives me crazy. One thing I am grateful for is that I have a very busy life. But I did take time to marry my couch after she dumped my ass. My couch has never let me down. And then one day she pushed me off and said "hey you have a life get off me". And so i did and found out I still have a life.

Right now I am trying to figure out stuff about myself. I have found every relationship has been a mirror. What are the good things I see and what are the bad things I look quickly away from. I am taking the time to have a GOOD HARD LOOK, therapy and lots of reading. Fortunately for me I have a deep spiritual connection that has helped me heal in ways that unfortunately others don't have access to.

But it still hurts. One day it won't hurt. One day, a day will go by when I don't think of her. One day, I won't regret the stuff I wish we had done together.

One day is coming. And each day that passes, that one day gets closer.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 18 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 05:01 PM   #19
hpychick

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine with a hammer
Preferred Pronoun?:
Girly Stuff
Relationship Status:
Jesse's Girl. She asked! I said yes!

Location: Minneapolis! Or as I like to call it - Many Happiness!
Thanked 1,417 Times in 499 Posts
hpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputationhpychick Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default It's True!

I absolutely believe it's necessary to grieve the loss of a relationship - no matter how long of a relationship it was.

Getting outdoors, exercising, finding people of value to spend time with and talk to are great ways for me to get past the hurt and disillusionment.

Sometimes, there are those relationships that you just know you are better off without though, and you can breathe an interminable sigh of relief when it's finally over.

hpychick is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to hpychick For This Useful Post:
Old 05-20-2011, 08:21 PM   #20
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,771 Times in 25,657 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Of course. The relationship you had with another is dead and, thus, you go through the 5 steps of grief.

1. Denial and Isolation
2. Anger
3. Bargaining
4. Depression
5. Acceptance

Though, not everyone goes through the steps in the same way or processes them similarly. But, in some regard, we all do them.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post: