Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 04-13-2018, 07:13 PM   #1
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default K's personal health journey (members read only): Smart Food Choices that Improve Your Health & Life

Over the last year and a half, I have not been as physically active due to my work related injury. I have learned that, in my case, not being able to walk or be physically active is connected to other health related factors.

For example, I've had to employ critical thinking skills in developing better food choices to aid my health recovery. My doctor asked me last year to keep an journal of all the foods I eat and things I drink. Six months later, via my food journal, we discovered that because of my inability to be as physically active like I used to be, that I had to make better food and drink choices to help heal my body and aid in my physical recovery.

Because of my inability to get physical exercise, my body was not able to process foods I normally used to eat. I learned that I couldn't eat just any type of bread or crackers or types of pasta or types of rice. I also learned that I wasn't getting enough water.

In my case, lack of enough physical activity and not enough water and eating foods which convert readily into sugar has escalated an blood sugar level crisis that I deal with on an daily basis.

So until my mobility improves significantly, my doctor coaches me on things I can do to improve my blood sugar levels, so I don't become diabetic.

Here are a few changes I've made to improve my health:

1) I drink one gallon of water per day. But when warmer weather prevails, my water intake will increase to 1.5 gallons. In extended heat conditions, it has to go up to at least two gallons of water per day, for my body to combat fatigue and because I take special medications, my body needs extra water to help the medications work properly.

2) My doctor recommended that I eat an handful of nuts after each meal. There's something about nuts that helps your body to process foods that convert easily into sugar and keeps your blood sugar from escalating off the charts.

3) Instead of buying major brand peanut or almond butter's, I now go to the health food section of the store and grind my own peanut butter or almond butter. Nut butter's have naturally occurring sugar of less than one gram. Major brand nut butter's have too much sugar.

4) I eat more fresh vegetables and limited types of fruits. I buy organic as often as possible. I buy vegetables that are dark green and all types of colorful sweet peppers and have expanded my tolerance for certain types of cabbage. With fruits, I typically choose blackberries, raspberries, strawberries and blueberries (fresh or with frozen, no sugar added) . I also buy melons when they're in season. Same for squash. Zucchini is an favorite squash I like to buy often, just to slice up and add to my garden salads.

5) I also now eat more types of fish. Baked or smoked, I like salmon, albacore tuna, smoked oysters and sardines. I will only buy chicken that is farm raised where no antibiotics are given to them or hormones. On occasion, I buy grass fed beef-- but red meat is limited to once or twice a month. Eventually, my goal is to get my proteins from plant sources primarily, and only eat fish or eggs moderately.

☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆☆

Feel free to share any ideas you think is improving your life or share any articles you come across that has helped you make better food choices. I currently read Diabetic Living because the magazine gives great ideas on making better food choices and the magazine often gives you recipes and menus to try at home.

Here's an link to the website, if you can't find this magazine at your local book store or magazine section at your favorite grocery store:

www.diabeticlivingonline.com

Bon Appétit!
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 07:25 PM   #2
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Here's an article from Medscape. It's an commentary provided by Dr. Hansa Bhargava, MD. Her op-ed covers making better food choices.

Title of article: 'Clean' and Healthy Food Eating -- What Does That Mean? (January 22, 2017). There's a video too, as well.

www.medscape.com/viewarticle/874120
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 07:39 PM   #3
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default The Ommivore's Dilemma | Michael Pollan (2006)

It's been a few years since I read Pollan's book, but I highly recommend his book because he's got a way of showing the reader why making smart food choices not only lowers the carbon foot print, but presents an compelling case for eating clean foods. Pollan educates on the natural history of meals and what we should have for dinner... It's non-fiction, but it's an remarkable read!
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 07:49 PM   #4
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

If anybody has watched a good food documentaries, please post about it here. I always love to read or watch good films, so feel free to add your recommendations too, okay?

Ps/ Hey! Gemme is here, yay! Thanks Gemme!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 08:04 PM   #5
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default TED talks : Reversing Diabetes II (Purdue University)

I have not watched this yet, but my doctor is an naturopath and she recommended watching this TEDx video on reversing diabetes II. I will be watching it this weekend.
Old 04-13-2018, 08:09 PM   #6
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation
Default Documentary

Forks over Knives

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DZb-35oV_7E

"The feature film Forks Over Knives examines the profound claim that most, if not all, of the degenerative diseases that afflict us can be controlled, or even reversed, by rejecting animal-based and processed foods."

It is a whole foods, plant based diet.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 04-13-2018, 08:18 PM   #7
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanks Dapper for that documentary recommendation! That's an really good documentary. I highly recommend watching it too!

Here's an supplemental Huffington Post article on why eating an plant based diet can save your life and reduce your health care costs (see link below).

https://m.huffpost.com/us/entry/861672

Title of article:

Forks Over Knives: How An Plant-based Diet Can Save America (July 13, 2011).
Old 04-14-2018, 10:54 AM   #8
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Meal Ritual's

I'm implementing new habits in my breakfast, lunch and supper ritual's. I'm teaching myself new habits. I like omelet's for any meal, but I find that starting my day off with an power packed protein rich breakfast, with raw form veggies, leaves me in better shape, keeps my energy level stable, and is low impact on my blood sugar levels.

Today I made an three egg (brown, cage free, organic too) omelet. I used 1/8-th cup of water and a tiny splash of low salt soy sauce, instead of milk.

Once I pour the egg mixture into an skillet, lightly greased with grape-seed oil, and cook it using an medium level temperature, I prepare the veggies I want in my omelet. I used one rainbow leaf of Rainbow Chard (rinsed off, patted dry, then torn gently into little bits), an small sprinkling of julienned carrots, three tiny roasted garlic cloves and four walnut halves, and a small sprinkling of sunflower seeds.

Once the omelet is nearly cooked to an matte finish, I laid down an slice of Havarti cheese, piled on the veggies and the sunflower seeds. I covered up the skillet and turned the burner off, so it steamed for a few minutes. Once that's done, I fold over the omelet and placed four walnut halves on top, then drizzled about 3 tablespoons of my homemade Tumeric dressing sauce over the finished omelet.

It was very tasty, slightly crunchy, and simply delish!

I saved half of it back for my breakfast tomorrow morning.

Learning to enjoy more vegetables in their raw, uncooked state is improving my health and I feel satisfied longer because the body works harder to break down all the vitamins and nutrients in vegetables that don't necessarily need to be fully cooked and can be enjoyed in their raw state.

Old 04-14-2018, 02:41 PM   #9
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

SNIP:2) My doctor recommended that I eat an handful of nuts after each meal. There's something about nuts that helps your body to process foods that convert easily into sugar and keeps your blood sugar from escalating off the charts.SNIP>Kätzchen

Maybe incorporating a piece of kiwi each day.??!!??

For this moment, let’s talk about the Kiwi fruit. Studies have showed that Kiwi can be consumed by patients having type 1 and 2 diabetes.
Due to its fiber and fructose found in Kiwi fruits, the glycemic index is extremely low (53). This mean that eating this fruit will not increase blood sugar level significantly.
It contains Inositol necessary for controlling blood sugar levels in diabetics. It enhances the sensitivity of insulin in the human body which can lead to higher absorption of glucose into the cell that lessens the sugar in the blood stream.
Kiwi fruit is low in fat that aid in gaining weight. The weight of type 2 patients need to be regulated so that their diabetes will also controlled.
It has the ability of protecting DNA from oxygen related damage because Kiwi is high in phytonutrients. Though researchers are not yet certain which specific compounds that give a protective antioxidant capacity, they are convinced that with the help of these varieties of flavonoids and carotenoids act as antioxidant, these phytonutrients in kiwi may be responsible for this DNA protection.
Vitamin C and A is present that promotes faster healing process and good eyesight.
Besides it will help lower the risk of cardiovascular disease because it reduces the fats and diminishes the risk of blood clot;
Rich in polyphenols, and potassium, which may function individually to protect the blood vessels and heart.

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 04-14-2018, 03:03 PM   #10
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
SNIP:2) My doctor recommended that I eat an handful of nuts after each meal. There's something about nuts that helps your body to process foods that convert easily into sugar and keeps your blood sugar from escalating off the charts.SNIP>Kätzchen

Maybe incorporating a piece of kiwi each day.??!!??

For this moment, let’s talk about the Kiwi fruit. Studies have showed that Kiwi can be consumed by patients having type 1 and 2 diabetes.
Due to its fiber and fructose found in Kiwi fruits, the glycemic index is extremely low (53). This mean that eating this fruit will not increase blood sugar level significantly.
It contains Inositol necessary for controlling blood sugar levels in diabetics. It enhances the sensitivity of insulin in the human body which can lead to higher absorption of glucose into the cell that lessens the sugar in the blood stream.
Kiwi fruit is low in fat that aid in gaining weight. The weight of type 2 patients need to be regulated so that their diabetes will also controlled.
It has the ability of protecting DNA from oxygen related damage because Kiwi is high in phytonutrients. Though researchers are not yet certain which specific compounds that give a protective antioxidant capacity, they are convinced that with the help of these varieties of flavonoids and carotenoids act as antioxidant, these phytonutrients in kiwi may be responsible for this DNA protection.
Vitamin C and A is present that promotes faster healing process and good eyesight.
Besides it will help lower the risk of cardiovascular disease because it reduces the fats and diminishes the risk of blood clot;
Rich in polyphenols, and potassium, which may function individually to protect the blood vessels and heart.
oh gosh, that's an EXCELLENT idea about adding Kiwi fruit to one's daily dietary intake. Thanks so much for letting me know, Dominique! I had no idea how Kiwi helps control blood sugars. I am adding this fruit to my grocery shopping list! Thanks so much for sharing!
Old 04-17-2018, 03:36 PM   #11
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Vegan, Organic and Zero Sugar Wins of the Day.

Today I went grocery shopping after I was done with my doctor visit. I bought:

Chia seeds, flax seeds, organic vegetables for garden salads, Sesame Tahini Sticks, Walnuts, and a box of Think Think Caramel Fudge, Marcaspone Cheese, French Sheep Feta Crumbles, and Late July Organic Tortilla Chips, and Plant Milk. Oh, and Kiwi Fruit!

Old 04-22-2018, 01:33 PM   #12
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Rainbow Chard Albacore Tuna Wrap

One of the things I've done to change my food choice behaviors is to severely limit my intake of bread (in general). To cultivate and expand my repertoire of making better choices, I now use large leaf plants to make an wrap or sandwich and substitute Sesame Tahini salad stick toppers to satisfy my craving for bread. However, I still sin regularly by having tiny slices (limited to one slice a day) of low carb, high protein artisan bread which has minimal sugar content, zero content if I can find bread without sugar.

Here's what I made for my lunch today. I made Rainbow Chard Albacore Tuna wrap's. I made four of them in advance. I had one today for my lunch, and I'll have the others as the days go by.

Ingredients:

4 washed leaves of Rainbow Chard
1 large tin of Albacore Tuna.
Mascarpone Italian Cream Cheese
Sesame Tahini Salad Stick toppers
Tumeric powder
Fresh Blackberries.
sea salt and cracked peppercorns.
Chopped Walnuts

Recipe directions:

1) wash and pat dry 4 leaves of Rainbow Chard. Cut the stems from the leaves, and save them to toss in with any vegetable soup you might make in the very near future or save the stems and chop them up to put in your garden salad.

2) Smear some of the Mascarpone cheese on to each single leaf of chard. Use an tbsp on each leaf. Spread it around the center of the leaf only because you will stack other items on top of the cheese.

3) sprinkle Tumeric powder on the cheese.

4) lay sections of the tuna on top, next. One large tin of Albacore Tuna divided up between four leaves of chard.

5) Use sesame tahini stick toppers and chopped walnuts and fresh blackberries to finish.

6) If you have an favorite salad dressing you use that is zero sugar and low fat, drizzle some of it over the contents of each leaf, lightly. ( I use my home made Tumeric salad dressing, which is made from tumeric powder, greek yogurt and coconut oil). Then dress the wraps lightly with sea salt, then crack pepper corns over it generously.

7) roll them up like you would when you make an burrito with an flour tortilla.

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

Here's an Web link to explore the aspects of The Paleo Diet, for supplementary reading and for ideas on how to make better food choices:

https://thepaleodiet.com/

☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆ ☆

This wrap is low carb, zero added sugar, high protein and is fairly tasty. I'd say it's flavor is more along the lines of an Mediterranean type flavor. Mild, zesty, tasty, and healthy. You can find other ideas for Chard Wraps by googling Paleo Food Recipes online.

Here's what my Rainbow Chard Albacore Tuna Wrap looks like (see picture below):

Bon Appétit!
Old 04-22-2018, 02:44 PM   #13
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,364 Times in 6,715 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

J'aime this thread Kat thank you for wonderful options
Old 04-22-2018, 04:28 PM   #14
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Alongside spinach, cashews and almonds are some of the best sources of magnesium in the human diet. The fact they are convenient, low carb and delicious is just a bonus.

Magnesium is an essential mineral involved in hundreds of bodily processes, including blood sugar regulation.

The mechanism of action is unclear, but low magnesium levels is strongly associated with both type 1 and type 2 diabetes. It seems to influence insulin secretion, which may be why so many diabetics have low magnesium.

Additionally, clinical trials have shown that correcting low magnesium improves insulin response and lowers blood sugar levels.

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 04:48 PM   #15
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Default good,informative article about turmeric and prediabetes

I can't seem to get the article to post. click the link (sorry)

http://naturalsociety.com/turmeric-a...cumin-protect/

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 04-22-2018, 04:55 PM   #16
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
I can't seem to get the article to post. click the link (sorry)

http://naturalsociety.com/turmeric-a...cumin-protect/
Thank you SO much!

Tumeric is my new "savior." That spice is essential to my overall recovery, as well as magnesium rich foods. Thanks for adding really useful ideas and tips to this forum thread, Dominique!
Old 04-22-2018, 05:07 PM   #17
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Our friend in the community, DapperButch, posted an great resource about the food industry in the .......Zombie thread. Thanks Dapper!

If you haven't watched this documentary, I highly recommend watching it. Here's an trailer for the film, and I think you can even watch it for free online (google is very helpful to find it).

What The Health? (2017)

Old 04-22-2018, 06:04 PM   #18
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Default Medscape Scholarly article on benefits of Plant Based Diet

While the proverbial jury is still out on giving plant based diets the full stamp of approval, there is strong indicators of proof that plant based diets will not only improve your overall health, but if you have pre-diabetes issues associated with blood sugar levels and how your body produces and uses its own natural insulin, then this article will give you an better understanding of why changing your normal food choices to an Plant Based Diet, could save your life.

I radically changed my diet to be top heavy on Plant Based foods, which in turn has allowed my bodily processes to self correct in natural ways. I am on an medically supervised diet as prescribed by my primary physician. As well as switching to an plant based diet, I continue to lose weight, my heart function improves and before too long, I won't need experimental medication to aid in correcting my blood sugar issues .

Bonus info to other medically endorsed studies discussing Plant Based Diets is included in this scholarly article.

Title of Medscape article:

Vegan Diet Rapidly Improves Type II Diabetes Markers In Adults (Jenkins, K., February 26, 2018).

LINK: www.medscape.com/viewarticle/893125
Old 04-22-2018, 06:14 PM   #19
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

I will be back next Sunday to update this forum thread with any news or tips or interesting ideas that pertain to eating Smart Food Choices.

And to say thanks to members of the community for sharing your ideas and your thoughtful contributions.

Until then, may the GQQD Juju of Smart Food Choices be with you all!

Old 04-22-2018, 06:19 PM   #20
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Our friend in the community, DapperButch, posted an great resource about the food industry in the .......Zombie thread. Thanks Dapper!

If you haven't watched this documentary, I highly recommend watching it. Here's an trailer for the film, and I think you can even watch it for free online (google is very helpful to find it).

What The Health? (2017)

Katzchen, I just floated over to this thread to let folks know of this film. Thank you for posting this because I don't know how to put up videos like the above.

I was saying in the other thread that I had been feeling like utter crap for 4 months. I was so fatigued, felt physically sluggish, was sleeping all day both days of the weekend. I didn't know what was up. I had no idea that it could be about my increase in eating meat (chicken...from once a week to several times a week) and dairy (from no cheese, to cheese 1-2 times a week) and eating processed foods (from very rare, to somewhat common).

Within a couple of days of eating vegan, fresh foods, I started feeling better. I just started this past Tuesday. Now the weekend is over and I had energy from morning until night for both days, with no naps.

Was it Hippocrates who said, "Let food be thy medicine and medicine be thy food"

Katzchen, I have been taking Tumeric since my colon cancer in 2010. I was off point for a couple of years due to cost, but I have been back on it for a while. Chronic disease is all about inflammation and Tumeric is the butt kicker (well that, and a plant based diet)!

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post: