Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > RELATIONSHIPS, COMMUNITY, GROUPS > LGBT Activism, Allies, ETC.

Old 12-02-2010, 11:44 PM   #41
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Starbuck View Post
I'm interested, Laerkin, what does your personalized tag say??
Quote:
Originally Posted by Laerkin View Post
Living in Virginia, not far from Fort Belvoir, Quantico, and Dahlgren, there have certainly been a number of hate crimes over the years.

During the Presidential election, two Marines assaulted a woman for simply having an Obama sticker on her car.

I had one on my car at the time and it certainly made me a little more aware of the target I had on my bumper in an area that is highly conservative and religious.

After a minor fender bender where I lost my rear bumper (and thus, my stickers), I recently decided to just throw caution to the wind and make a statement, haters be damned.

My license plate is now personalized and advertises to the world that yes, the owner is in fact a queer.

And I added a rainbow sticker (six little kitties) to my rear windshield.

The only time I've had anyone pause is when a few coworkers saw it (straight, conservative ones). But nothing untoward was said.

Like CTW, I mostly get other folks within the community speeding up or slowing down to take a peek at who's in the car and I smile and wave. I'm sure my "out"ness offends some of the people around here, but I think Virginia could use a little more queer.

On a side note, I do feel more pressure to drive respectfully. When I'm out on the country roads or in small town VA, I feel this odd responsibility to not drive like an asshole lest it gives some redneck one more excuse to hate gays. Is that weird?

Here is where she answered!!

It seems you missed her response!
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2010, 05:29 AM   #42
HoneyedChrysanthemum

Exclamation YES!

i make it obvious that i am part of the LBGQT community! i always have a rainbow flag in my window. the last remark i got on that,however, was "ma'am, you sure do have a purty flag in yore window!" LoL when i drove, i always had a LBGQT emblem on my car. i even have the human rights emblem on my cane, along with the words, "butch, femme, queer" albeit they are prob so small that no-one can see them! i take pride in being part of this community and have always tried to subvert the dominant paradign!
pres
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 05:40 AM   #43
Julien

How Do You Identify?:
TG/GenderQueer
Preferred Pronoun?:
I'm flexible, but only up to a point.
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,701 Times in 737 Posts
Julien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST ReputationJulien Has the BEST Reputation

I am happy to say I have a rainbow sticker on my car. I live in a less than progressive southern city. So I don't see the rainbow sticker or any LGBT identifications out there. I am told they exist, but they must be far and few between. I am concerned about what would happen if a less than accepting individual made the connection of Pride Flag with LGBT, but I figured that in general they wouldn't know what it meant. When I lived in Milwaukee there were stickers and flags everywhere. Even the city flew the flag during the summer. What a site.

“Self-plagiarism is style.” Alfred Hitchcock

Formerly known as Graphiteta2s
Julien is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Julien For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 05:44 AM   #44
morningstar55

How Do You Identify?:
femme,she
Preferred Pronoun?:
she,her,
Relationship Status:
very single

Thanked 4,241 Times in 1,845 Posts
morningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputationmorningstar55 Has the BEST Reputation

for years i have had some sort of rainbow sticker on my car... and now truck..
a small flag hangs from my passenger side visor and a sguiggle on my driver window.
i have never ever had any attacks of any kind made about them.

life is to short to wake up in the morning with regrets
so love the people who treat you right,
forget about the ones who dont,
and believe that everything happens for a reason.
If you get a chance take it... if it changes your life let it.
morningstar55 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to morningstar55 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 06:38 AM   #45
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation

Apologies, Starbuck--I see now what you were asking in regards to Laerkin's personalized tags!

Thanks for responding to this thread everyone--I forgot about it!

Old 12-03-2010, 06:44 AM   #46
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

I have a rainbow peace sign on my back window with a license plate holder that has a rainbow strip... I have been run off the road, shot at.. I will never stop being me because some idiot cant handle it...
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to bigbutchmistie For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 07:39 AM   #47
asphaltcowboi

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Relationship Status:
HAPPY

7 Highscores

Thanked 3,297 Times in 1,042 Posts
asphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputationasphaltcowboi Has the BEST Reputation

i dont put bumper stickers on just because... but i do have a sticker on the back of my helment. never been harrassed.. maybe im lucky.. but i have been harassed for my T shirt that says "my other ride is your mother" but i think anyone would!

Last edited by asphaltcowboi; 12-03-2010 at 07:51 AM.
asphaltcowboi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to asphaltcowboi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 08:03 AM   #48
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Proud and Silent no More

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
OK, wondering if we have a bit of difference going on between Butches and Femmes with this (including all gender variations, thereof)? Talking overall, I see a few posts to the contrary, but a trend, too. Seems like (and for obvious reasons), butches may not be inclined to sticker our bumpers!
Wait...I do my windows versus my bumpers.

After putting my Pride stickers on my car I felt a sense of Pride. And a sense of community when people pull up and wave and smile.

Back window of my SUV has a row of tall palm trees in Pride colors. Beneath the palm trees is another sticker of people holding hands in Pride colors.

I live in an area where my Ex, who lives a mile away, had the HRC = signs shaved off the trash cans that were put outside for the garbage truck pick-up.

I live in an area where the gay bars were closed and people were bashed and arrested, and Anita Bryant marched in the 70's. Gay's say I live behind the Orange Curtain.

i live in an area where to be gay is not popular, and our Gay Pride events were not held for 7 years. BUT, we are coming back.

This year Orange County Pride held our first Gay Pride event at the Verizon Amphitheater. I was the Face Painter in the Children's Corner. and many adults wanted rainbow flags

This June I held the first ever LGBT Pride event at work. Gay Pride flags flew inside and outside a very large exposed Federal Building I work in. I had speakers from PFLAGG and Out and Equal. Attendance was huge and mostly straight folks with questions and sincerity about concerns for gay family members. I started a Diversity Committee, because, well, I knew I just did not want to die in silence. I grew up in a town that was silent and violent, and had a father who hated me for being gay. So, guess my time is now.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 12-03-2010, 08:04 AM   #49
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,337 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by cody View Post
i dont put bumper stickers on just because... but i do have a sticker on the back of my helment. never been harrassed.. maybe im lucky.. but i have been harassed for my T shirt that says "my other ride is your mother" but i think anyone would!

I have similar shirt with great motorcycle on it.

...Says :

My Other Ride is Your Girl.
which some one who posted above sent to me.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 08:02 PM   #50
1PlayfulFemme

How Do You Identify?:
An Unwitting Thread Derailer!
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, femme through and through
Relationship Status:
She is my soul.

Thanked 2,362 Times in 697 Posts
1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation1PlayfulFemme Has the BEST Reputation

I have always had pride stickers on my cars. Partially, being femme, it helps me to not feel so invisible! The other part, for me at least, is that feeling of community that Tommi was talking about!

I live in a tiny lil town in the south. Like many here, the KKK runs rampant, hate mongers are all around. But they can't have my pride.

Currently, the truck has a rainbow basketball sticker (I have a sticker waiting to go on it that says Hate Is Not A Family Value). The Rav has several rainbows..we're a very gay friendly family *G*
1PlayfulFemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to 1PlayfulFemme For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 08:39 PM   #51
TIMBERWOLF

How Do You Identify?:
Old Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Lesbian Butch so that would be she, but I come to just about anything *S*
Relationship Status:
Single

TIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST ReputationTIMBERWOLF Has the BEST Reputation

I too have always had some sort of Rainbow on my trucks. I have a wolf howling with a rainbow background on my back window,I also have feathers with rainbow ribbon painted on my cane thanks to Morningstar.
My Lady WT, has rainbow palm trees

TIMBER
TIMBERWOLF is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to TIMBERWOLF For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 08:48 PM   #52
TickledPink

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Girly Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Miss Pink
Relationship Status:
Shacked UP

Location: The Holt-Mason Chateau Decherd/I'm a NashVegas Girl!
Thanked 1,998 Times in 607 Posts
TickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST ReputationTickledPink Has the BEST Reputation

I have a cute little rainbow dog on my car.

TickledPink is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to TickledPink For This Useful Post:
Old 01-10-2011, 09:37 PM   #53
Greyson
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Transmasculine/Non-Binary
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy (Pronounced He)
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 8,165 Times in 2,007 Posts
Greyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST ReputationGreyson Has the BEST Reputation

For most of my adult life my cars and trucks have sported rainbow decals of some sort. Up until I partnered with a mom. I struggle with how the child may be shamed, judged and/or shunned by her peers and closed minded adults. For this reason I do not put rainbow decals on my autos. I get the impression that some think Queer people go through life saying, " Hi I am so and so and my entire life and identity is about being Queer. Pleased to meet you."
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Greyson For This Useful Post:
Old 01-16-2011, 06:54 PM   #54
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Greyson View Post
I get the impression that some think Queer people go through life saying, " Hi I am so and so and my entire life and identity is about being Queer. Pleased to meet you."
This is something I've been thinking a lot about, or maybe always have. I've never really been the "Hi my name is X and btw I'm queer how 'bout you?" type, only really seeing this as one part of my life and identity. But I'm finding that the longer I move through the world and come up against ignorance and resistance toward the lgbt community, the more I find that part of my life and identity comes to the forefront. It's certainly nowhere near being all there is to me, but the more the anger builds up against the ignorance I experience, the more that aspect of me becomes consciously visible.

It makes me think that perhaps many, even though resistant to being one of those you described above, are almost forced into being that way in part out of mounting irritation with the ignorance they encounter in every day life. This is a trait I consciously watch out for more and more, because I don't want to be so angry of a person that I feel the need to shove that rage down the throats of the ignorant, since I do think there are more productive ways of educating...at the same time you just find yourself wanting shatter limited world views.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2011, 01:42 PM   #55
Brewcityboi

How Do You Identify?:
Trans/queer/lesbian
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, she, whatever. Who cares? Just don't be mean.
Relationship Status:
Bitten by the love bug. :)

Brewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST ReputationBrewcityboi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Graphiteta2s View Post
I am happy to say I have a rainbow sticker on my car. I live in a less than progressive southern city. So I don't see the rainbow sticker or any LGBT identifications out there. I am told they exist, but they must be far and few between. I am concerned about what would happen if a less than accepting individual made the connection of Pride Flag with LGBT, but I figured that in general they wouldn't know what it meant. When I lived in Milwaukee there were stickers and flags everywhere. Even the city flew the flag during the summer. What a site.
Milwaukee is a great city. They fly the flags all down 1st and 2nd street, (the fruit loop as they fondly call it) even into parts of downtown all during june. Even the burger bar changes its logo to have a rainbow apostrophe. We're a very open minded city. Every time i've had a rainbow sticker on my car no one has had an issue with it. Every time i see one, i have to look and see who is inside. Most of my friends are gay and they all have their cars plastered with the fabulousness of rainbow stickers. Go mil-town!
Old 01-29-2011, 01:57 PM   #56
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by bigbutchmistie View Post
I have a rainbow peace sign on my back window with a license plate holder that has a rainbow strip... I have been run off the road, shot at.. I will never stop being me because some idiot cant handle it...
Seriously?? I don'T have anything on my car but should have a rainbow flag, my rabbi has a rainbow strip on her car and doesn't have any trouble at all not that I know of!!
Old 01-29-2011, 02:57 PM   #57
Rook

How Do You Identify?:
A.G - Stone Butch - GenderFuck
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hym, Hyz...or, just b respectable, it's not that hard..

Thanked 3,183 Times in 1,287 Posts
Rook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST ReputationRook Has the BEST Reputation

A few things...

1- Snow, Amor, Chuleria, that just tickled me Pink ...in Ohio, you're all about the Bumper-Stickers, but Florida's scary ??....Damn...lol...That was priceless...

2- I honestly don't care who says what, it's my car...As long as it's not Illegal, fuck-em-all...I understand those who cannot Risk it, jobs, health....Life, in some narrowminded towns...
Believe me, I've been there, done that ....
Which is why I always carry a small box cutter, just in case a few bullies think they can actually overpower, Mace isn't as effective or Painful, and since in the state of Ohio "Hate Crime" Laws don't apply to gay & lesbians per se.....Better to be prepped...No?

Unfortunately, in the Town I currently live in, they {townies & most students} Equate rainbow with "tree-hugging" hippy-pot smokin' Radical Liberal...

My car has 4 stickers...

1- "My Ferret is Smarter than your Honor Student" with a few ferrets on it for emphasis...

2- "You are NOT alone" in white with a Rainbow in the background..

3- "Keep Honking, I'm Deaf" with 2 thumbs up..

4- "Can I vote on YOUR Marriage now? Civil Marriage IS a Civil Right"
Old 09-29-2011, 11:27 PM   #58
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Sooooooooo....I finally put up a small rainbow magnet in my classroom....

....vanished/taken/removed/stolen (?) in the third week of school. (after a grade nine night where parents could see it).

The few coworkers I have discussed this with think it is a student--I disagree.

I think someone from Admin. came in and snatched it away when I called in sick one day.

I am just floored and bought fifty dollars of new magnets and will put another and another and another up.

So pissed.
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2011, 11:31 PM   #59
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

I have the blue/gold HRC equality sticker on the back window of my suv.....pretty safe cause most people round here have no clue what it is...lol
Old 09-30-2011, 12:07 AM   #60
Odarlin

How Do You Identify?:
Undine
Preferred Pronoun?:
Sexy
Relationship Status:
Finding my immortal soul one giggle at a time.

Odarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to allOdarlin is a name known to all

Yep, I don't think a lot of straight people necessarily connect the rainbow flag stickers with "GAY". Gay is not on the radar thar.

I live in an area where there are so many gay people, rainbow flag stickers are considered kinda passé.

I have one because I remember the thrill of seeing one in less gay areas I have lived and I’m all passé like that.

It is a cute little rainbow heart fer love, baby.
Odarlin is offline   Reply With Quote