Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 11-07-2012, 03:49 PM   #4341
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Hey All,

Today is a carb craving day for real and I am wondering if my lack of sleep has anything to do with this. I did Yoga and worked out and still feel the urge to eat carbs and not the good ones. Bread, pasta..ugh. Maybe its a comfort food thing and not physical at all.

Anyway I am going to go for a long walk and swim later and burn some energy, but I really need to eat more protein to cut the carb craving. That always works for me but for the last few days I am not interested in protein very much. Just eggs and even eggs are just boring me to death right now. lol.

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2012, 04:25 PM   #4342
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Sometimes that gets me Sun.

Quite a few times i could eat a bowl of Cheerios then a sandwhich, like a bread sandwich!

Then i felt a migraine coming on, i believe if you are craving something your body is saying * i need this*

i know when i want chocolate it's aways around that time of the month. Sugar cravings i feel is when i my sugar is dropping.

i've read that a craving only lasts 10 min. For 10 min do something else, today i tested that and it's true! instead of munching i vacuumed the floor... craving passed!

Tonite i'm pan searing fish with smashed cauliflower and a salad.

girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2012, 04:39 PM   #4343
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruffryder View Post
Protein shakes are good for a meal in some people's diets. I'm not talking about every meal. For those that work out a LOT, there is whey protein. Protein does help maintain muscle mass, but it also helps to cut out fat from the body. There are some shakes and snacks that have protein in them, minus the whey or muscle building ingredients. Protein in a snack and shake is also good for those that do not eat meats. High protein diets help a person lose weight and keep metabolism up by preserving muscle mass and resting energy used. Protein keeps one fuller longer. Other foods that are good for this are peanut butter, nuts, eggs, meats, beans, and dairy products. Protein a person needs depends on age, size, and activity level. The standard method used by nutritionists to estimate the minimum daily protein requirement is to multiply the body weight in pounds by .37. According to this method, a person weighing 150 lbs. should eat 55 grams of protein per day, a 200-pound person should get 74 grams, and a 250-pound person should eat 92 grams. Of course if you engage in endurance exercises or are a runner you should consume more and if you are into heavy strength training, even more. In a review of the research, the National Academy of Sciences reported that the only known danger from high-protein diets is for individuals with kidney disease. After careful study, they recommend that 10 percent to 35 percent of daily calories come from protein. They point out that increased protein could be helpful in treating obesity. There is also accumulating evidence that extra protein may help prevent osteoporosis.
Hey Ruff,

You've got me curious, could you link to that NAS paper? I couldn't find it right off. I'd also like to see the source material for the "standard method used by nutritionists to estimate the minimum daily protein requirement", wondering if it is tied to the RDA numbers I've seen recently that had some questions in it for me.

The reason is that when I was looking at overall energy intake (calories) I found some diet guidelines that were based on long standing well known equations. When I dug into those equations, they too were weight based. What I found digging around was that they were devised for 'healthy' weight individuals (surface area based) and because of this they were not linear in application. Unfortunately, I found that most, okay all, of the popular tracking software used these non-linear equations in a linear way. Easy enough to adjust once understood and very effective (after modified), but erroneous out of the box.

I know what has worked for me to get where I am, but I am looking to improve further. I am fiddling with my own protein intake levels right now, and revising sources for it with my usual experiment on self model. I am looking at the underlying logic for some of these recommendations I am seeing in different places and would like to look at this one too. Thanks.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-07-2012, 11:38 PM   #4344
PearlsNLace

How Do You Identify?:
queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
They/Them & her/she
Relationship Status:
Lucky, very lucky

Thanked 1,286 Times in 315 Posts
PearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST ReputationPearlsNLace Has the BEST Reputation

Protein is great, really.

BUT.

No way would I recommend ANYONE, (non professional body builder type) not even a 500 pound person, to consume 90 grams of protein on a daily basis. That would put a lot of excess demand on your kidneys.

I am 250+, I keep my protien between 60-70 grams, and my carbs less than 15 per serving. It keeps me off the sugar highs and lows and I am not craving food all the time. Its a kind of freedom I have never known before.

AND your not alone. thetrevorproject.org
PearlsNLace is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to PearlsNLace For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 09:37 AM   #4345
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Well, I have answered one of my own questions which of course just generates more of them.

I found this article by the CDC that talks about the protein requirement as outlined by the RDA.

This is part of it:

How much protein do I need?
Maybe you've wondered how much protein you need each day. In general, it's recommended that 10–35% of your daily calories come from protein. Below are the Recommended Dietary Allowances (RDA) for different age groups.2

Recommended Dietary Allowance for Protein
Grams of protein
needed each day
Children ages 1 – 3 13
Children ages 4 – 8 19
Children ages 9 – 13 34
Girls ages 14 – 18 46
Boys ages 14 – 18 52
Women ages 19 – 70+ 46
Men ages 19 – 70+ 56

Here are examples of amounts of protein in food:
1 cup of milk has 8 grams of protein
A 3-ounce piece of meat has about 21 grams of protein
1 cup of dry beans has about 16 grams of protein
An 8-ounce container of yogurt has about 11 grams of protein
Added together, just these four sources would meet the protein needs of an adult male (56 grams). This doesn't count all the other foods that add smaller amounts of protein to his diet.

Rather than just focusing on your protein needs, choose an overall healthy eating plan that provides the protein you need as well as other nutrients.

The part I don't understand is why these recommendations are so incomplete. It does state 10-35% of dietary calories, it does not have any consideration for activity levels or any differentiation for quality of proteins.

While I understand that a unit of protein in a unit of protein as a macronutrient. I am surprised that there is no mention of micronutrient content. (vitamins, minerals, fiber, trace elements) low fat animal proteins seem to be the most efficient at bulk quantity delivery of just protein but I can't help but notice how different sources make me feel.

When it comes to weight based recommendations, I still hope to find that resource, I can only wonder about my own needs. I have been both >250+ and <150. According to this chart my needs are no different, which would support the thinking that it is lean tissue based. That would make sense to me, but nowhere is it stated.

But, if we go by just weight based recommendations it does not account for how much of my body is lean vs fat, or what my activity levels are. A person 6' tall at 250 has more lean body weight than I would at 5'4" and I would think need marginally more protein to maintain it.

There is also the question of activity; theoretically running (per hour) burns more calories than weight lifting, yet the weight lifting creates more of a need for protein for tissue repair. Of course exceptions can be found for everything.

For myself, I seem to have settled in at around 70g per day while being very active and it works for me for now. I am looking at increasing the proportion of proteins obtained from plant sources to improve my micronutrient profile, this may lead to revising my overall protein intake downward. Hmmm, as always, more questions than answers.

Like anything else, I guess we can use the guidelines as a starting point, and adjust it for the performance it gives us as individuals.

Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 09:58 AM   #4346
MissItalianDiva

How Do You Identify?:
Miss Twiggy
Preferred Pronoun?:
Supercalifragilisticexpialidocious and that shit doesn't sound atrocious!
Relationship Status:
divorce happens..all that glitters ain't gold

Thanked 7,161 Times in 1,793 Posts
MissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST ReputationMissItalianDiva Has the BEST Reputation

The protein debate between physicians,nutritionist and others has always been a confusing thing. I know for me considering my activity level and my bodys personal preferences/eating choices I need the higher protein content. I personally drink 3 23 gram whey protein isolate shakes a day but keep my overall protein intake at about 100 grams along with 130 ounces of water to flush.

I can only chime in and say what I was told by a nutritionist which I have found some backing to but not much. I was told to consume 1 gram of protein per ideal body weight. I personally am not about to consume 120 is grams of protein because frankly I do not eat meat and have a hard enough time getting the protein I currently get so there is no room for the extra 20. I keep my sugars under 20 for the day my carbs around 30 and don't really count calories but I know I am not really getting enough which is why I take in so much protein.

For me I have to keep this balance if I alter I lose too much and end up tired. I am not trying to lose weight just maintain my current and keep lean muscle so perhaps my needs are a bit different and that may be why this works for me.
MissItalianDiva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MissItalianDiva For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 10:23 AM   #4347
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

Okay confession time, I recently lost about 45 pounds from Jan of this year until Aug and then My sugar addiction came back with a vengeance, I have since put back on about 10 pds of what I lost. I am in a panic about stopping this progression and reversing it, since I still need lose about another 100 pds to be at MY target weight. Any ideas on how to halt this sugar addiction?

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 12:47 PM   #4348
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Elijah i am on day two, it ain't easy!

Congrats on your weight loss!

Don't buy junk or get near it. i am at the office
Right now and i wanna dive into the candy and junk!

blah! For me gum helps

i can do this, you can too !!!!
Old 11-08-2012, 01:05 PM   #4349
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post
Okay confession time, I recently lost about 45 pounds from Jan of this year until Aug and then My sugar addiction came back with a vengeance, I have since put back on about 10 pds of what I lost. I am in a panic about stopping this progression and reversing it, since I still need lose about another 100 pds to be at MY target weight. Any ideas on how to halt this sugar addiction?
Elijah,

I am in a similar situation where I lost 41 lbs since April and have just started having massive carb cravings again and for me I can point to two things.

1. Change: This is month 3 of a big life change and I have some time to slow down and not be racing around for 18 hours a day going nor am I working in a super hot environment that helped me to burn fat as long as I ate well. So my body needs to adjust to a slower pace. Next week I am back to the super hot work environment and I guarantee my appetite will shift again.

2. Storing for the winter: My belief is that our body has an ancient and innate wisdom to store calories for the winter. I just went from cold northeast to hot dry desert so I am sure that my body is confused. lol. So my work is to eat lighter, warmer foods that keep me hydrated all day long.

Dehydration is the enemy. Stay well hydrated and every body system will work better.

Much like MissItalianDiva, I need a lot of protein for my active life. When I drop off the protein intake my body craves more carbs. Similarly, when I crave carbs and consume protein, the carb craving vanishes. Not easy to wrap my mind around always. For example if I really want to eat bread and I have a piece of fish or a few slices of turkey, I have to bypass what my brain is telling me to eat and do what I know is best for my body.

― Rumi

The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 01:06 PM   #4350
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
Elijah i am on day two, it ain't easy!

Congrats on your weight loss!

Don't buy junk or get near it. i am at the office
Right now and i wanna dive into the candy and junk!

blah! For me gum helps

i can do this, you can too !!!!
Are you staying hydrated?

Signed,

The Hydration Police

― Rumi

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 02:15 PM   #4351
Elijah

How Do You Identify?:
Genderqueer Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
Open to healthy possibilities...

Thanked 1,628 Times in 393 Posts
Elijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST ReputationElijah Has the BEST Reputation

Thanks Sun, dee...even talking about it here takes the edge off the stress over it. I appreciate the support. I guess I have to quit bringing ice cream into the house...*sigh

I have had some big life changes...I changed jobs in this unsure economy only to find out the companies ethics are very shaky and also became recently single. My lack of money forced Me to buy cheaper, more processed foods and once that gate opened...it's been downhill from there. I am making more money now and feeling guilty about it. So the guilt combined with the loneliness are a bad combination for Me health wise.

I won't give up though, that's not My M.O.

Thanks again,

Elijah

~Washington Irving
Elijah is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Elijah For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 02:50 PM   #4352
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by ElijahRene View Post
Thanks Sun, dee...even talking about it here takes the edge off the stress over it. I appreciate the support. I guess I have to quit bringing ice cream into the house...*sigh

I have had some big life changes...I changed jobs in this unsure economy only to find out the companies ethics are very shaky and also became recently single. My lack of money forced Me to buy cheaper, more processed foods and once that gate opened...it's been downhill from there. I am making more money now and feeling guilty about it. So the guilt combined with the loneliness are a bad combination for Me health wise.

I won't give up though, that's not My M.O.

Thanks again,

Elijah
Elijah,

I am sure that many of us can relate to all or some of what you are saying. Habits are hard to break. Do not be so hard on yourself, please. You are human and as humans we have a strong emotional attachment to food. I share with you the feelings of seeking comfort in food, especially when I am lonely which is often these days. For me, a life changing event such as going from sharing meals with a partner or family, to eating alone can be an emotional shock to my system and further drive me into seeking comfort in food or skipping meals because eating alone is sometimes emotionally painful.
There are times when I am aware that I am just eating to survive and not really enjoying the food at all. This is what I call functional eating.

There are things that I miss about sharing meals with my ex partner who is someone who loved food too. We were always on a food adventure. That was a fun and vital part of our dynamic. Then there is the Daddy energy in me that naturally seeks out someone to feed or care for. So double whammy on that one! Coming home to no one to feed or care for and not having anyone to share a meal with just plain sucks. However, I shift this perspective in my mind and focus on something positive, remember to count my blessings and prepare myself for my future. This is all a cycle. This too shall pass.

The work now for me is to stay in a healthy place with food and support systems like this thread are helping me a lot.

Just a note on the ice cream. There are worse things that you could be eating. Ice cream is not so bad. My suggestion would be to limit your portion sizes as opposed to depriving yourself. The trick that works for me is to have protein before I have ice cream and then I am not spiking my blood sugar. Another tip is to make sure that you move your body after a meal or high caloric snack.

You can do this. One day at a time. You will get there.

― Rumi

The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 04:17 PM   #4353
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

i'm working on the craving part only lasting 10 minutes.

For me, i can't have that bowl of ice cream and get back on track, it's a deal breaker. if it's in arms reach i am gonna be weak.

i rather to do without and deal with it.

i also do visulazion. (The hypnotherapist in me)

i picture the junk food i want as a mass of ugly fat. i know that's what it is going to turn to in the body so i picture it as something so gross i don't want it.

Except for today, i wanted that chocolate eyeball.
Old 11-08-2012, 04:55 PM   #4354
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
i'm working on the craving part only lasting 10 minutes.

For me, i can't have that bowl of ice cream and get back on track, it's a deal breaker. if it's in arms reach i am gonna be weak.

i rather to do without and deal with it.

i also do visulazion. (The hypnotherapist in me)

i picture the junk food i want as a mass of ugly fat. i know that's what it is going to turn to in the body so i picture it as something so gross i don't want it.

Except for today, i wanted that chocolate eyeball.
dee can you have a cup of ice cream and not a bowl? I am not sure how much ice cream is in your bowl.

As for cravings lasting 10 minutes I hope to experience that. Mine last a lot longer but it only means that I need to eat something. Munching on a carrot when I want a slice of pizza is testing my will.

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 05:52 PM   #4355
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
dee can you have a cup of ice cream and not a bowl? I am not sure how much ice cream is in your bowl.

As for cravings lasting 10 minutes I hope to experience that. Mine last a lot longer but it only means that I need to eat something. Munching on a carrot when I want a slice of pizza is testing my will.

i could but for me it's easier just to skip it, right now i'm trying to break my carbohydrate addiction.

Today i was tested BIG time, and i did good! Came home and had a salad with goats milk cheese, almonds and avocado!
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 06:00 PM   #4356
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Thanked 9,678 Times in 2,875 Posts
ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation

Hey everybody! I've been off work for what seems like 3 days and it feels like the weekend to me even though the weekend is just coming up and gonna be the start of me working again. I will definitely enjoy my day off Sunday though!

When I'm at home and off for this amount of time I get sluggish and tired. I've been sleeping at least 8 hours all these days and today I was up right after 7 and by 1 I was already tired and took a nap. I think me feeling this way lies in what I've been eating and like Sun, I been for some reason craving carbs too and that could be from me not having as much protein lately. I do notice when I have a protein shake or eggs or another form of protein I stay fuller longer and I seem to feel better overall. I also do know that for me, it does help me lose weight and perhaps that has not only to do with the protein itself but what I pair it with throughout the day.

Thanks everybody for posting on protein. Best I can say is what works and what is good for one person may be different for the next. Like I and others have said it all depends on age, size, and activity level. I don't have the paper from NAS unfortunately Kelt. I found that information on a health website and not on the research per se. A lot of the information I found however is the same and also what you found on protein. The .37 per lb seems pretty standard with some people opting for more depending on their active lifestyle. I don't really keep track of how much I take in and it's not the same everyday for me. I really should try to keep up with some normality on a daily basis such as what I posted here and keep track of that better. I know for sure I need to drink more water! :

Quote:

I also wanted to share a list of 20 fittest foods in no particular order..

Broccoli (eat a cup per week)
Tomatoes (eat 3-4 serv. per week)
Oatmeal (eat 3-4 serv. per week)
Blueberries (eat 1 cup per week)
Salmon (eat 3 serv. per week)
Beef (eat 3 serv. per week)
Whole Wheat Bread (eat 4-6 slices per week)
Almonds (eat 3 serv. per week)
Yogurt (get 3 serv. dairy per week)
Spinach (eat 2-3 serv. per week)
Eggs (eat up to 7 eggs per week)
Milk (get 3 serv. dairy per week)
Water (drink 8-8oz glasses per day)
Sweet Potato (eat 1 per week)
Soy (eat 2 serv. per week)
Turkey Breast (eat 3 serv. per week)
Olive Oil (eat 2 tbsp per day)
Quinoa (eat up to 3 serv. per week)
Black Beans (eat 2 serv. per week)
Green Tea (drink up to 3 serv. per day)

you really are what you eat...
ruffryder is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 06:05 PM   #4357
*Anya*
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian non-stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Committed to being good to myself

Thanked 40,791 Times in 7,290 Posts
*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation*Anya* Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post

Some of us can't even have a thimbleful without it triggering cravings.

I don't buy sweets and do not bring them into the house. I am like an addict with one bite.

This is my 8th month with zero cookies/pies/cakes, etc. if I went out now and bought some fill in the blank here I would be on a bender and would have to wait a couple of weeks till the cravings passed again.

For me, it is better to not start. Keeps the self-loathing away for me.

We all have our own way of managing.

Protein keeps me full and then I don't slip and overeat period.

Democracy Dies in Darkness

~Washington Post

"...I'm deeply concerned by recently adopted policies which punish children for their parents’ actions ... The thought that any State would seek to deter parents by inflicting such abuse on children is unconscionable."

UN Human Rights commissioner
*Anya* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to *Anya* For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 06:12 PM   #4358
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

ruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputationruffryder Has the BEST Reputation
Default look at the ingredients!

Welcome to all those joining us and thanks for sharing your stories!

One day at a time is right. We all fail, we've all been there where you are with the addictions. As for sugar addiction the best I can say is if you are drinking 3 sodas a day try to go for 1 until eventually you are at none. Maybe try something else like OJ or Apple Juice. Make sure it's pure and not packed with all sugar. As for chocolate and candy cravings maybe try switching to the 100 calorie snacks. There is slim fast bars, brownies, ice cream, cookies, variety bars with just 100 calories. The thing there is to check the calories, fat, carbs, sugar and pick the best ones. Also, Like dee said just don't buy it! Plain, flat out, and simple. If it's not in your house, you won't eat it. Of course we all fail and end up eating some and that's ok. Don't beat yourself up over it though. Just continue on making better choices. If I crave a soda, I go ahead and have one same with chocolate or ice cream. I don't limit my cravings. Instead I portion control them.

I wanted to pop this back up since it was a recent post by me about sugar and what to look for in ingredients in the products you buy. Try to stay away from these sugar products:

Quote:
Artificial sweeteners just make you want to eat more! They have no useful energy in them whatsoever.

Global Healing Center says this on eliminating toxins from artificial sweeteners:

•Check your food labels at home and throw out everything that has on its label: Aspartame, Acesulfame Potassium (K), Saccharin or Sucralose Equal®, NutraSweet® or Splenda®
•Use natural sweeteners like agave nectar, xylitol, stevia or raw honey.•Avoid products that are labeled "low calorie," "diet," "sugar free," or "no sugar added" since they all likely contain sugar additives.
•Drink purified water instead of diet drinks. Do NOT drink tap water!

Also here are the most common sources of sugar found on food labels:

Brown sugar
Corn sweetener
Corn syrup
Dextrose
Fructose
Fruit-juice concentrate
Glucose
High-fructose corn syrup (HFCS)
Honey
Invert sugar
Lactose
Maltose
Malt syrup
Molasses
Raw sugar
Sucrose
Syrup
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 07:52 PM   #4359
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

my mantra when i am shopping

if i don't buy it i can't eat it!

and i stay off the *carb* aisle. You know the one.
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2012, 08:18 PM   #4360
ruffryder

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
guy ones
Relationship Status:

Default recipes

thought I'd share this recipe that easygoingfemme shared with me since I was asking about Quinoa and how to make it.

Cooking greens with Tahini Dressing and Quinoa
• 1 bunch cooking greens (kale, collards, chard, spinach, or beet greens)
Sauce ingredients
• ¾ c tahini (sesame paste)
• 2 cloves garlic
• 1 handful fresh cilantro
• 1 tbsp maple syrup
• 2 tbsp tamari or soy sauce
• Juice and zest of lemon
• ¼ c water
Quinoa
• 2c dry quinoa
• 4c water

Steam your greens for just a couple of minutes, shock them by dousing them in cold water to stop the cooking process, and set them aside.
Quinoa:
Rinse quinoa in a fine mesh colander. Put 4c water and 2c quinoa in to a pot on the stovetop over medium high heat and cover with a lid. Bring to a boil and lower heat to simmer. Simmer about 12-15 minutes until water is absorbed and quinoa has a sprout shooting out of it. You can also make life easier by cooking your quinoa in a rice cooker. Measure, pour, and walk away. It will shut off when done.
Sauce: Put all sauce ingredients, just put ½ of the water for now into food processor or blender. Puree until creamy. Add more water slowly to obtain desired consistency. (Thickens in the fridge)
To serve: Put a scoop of quinoa on bottom of plate. Top that with greens and then pour on dressing.
(good additions are steamed carrots, raw or steamed beets, parsnips, and other sweet vegetables)

Also I noticed you mentioned mashed cauliflower dee. What texture is that like and what does it taste like? Do you add anthing to it for seasoning ? I heard it's good and an alternative to mash potatoes kind of. . Thanks in advance!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to ruffryder For This Useful Post: