Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 07-10-2013, 06:17 AM   #4581
Syr

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Syr

Thanked 1,130 Times in 217 Posts
Syr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST ReputationSyr Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by girl_dee View Post
PaPa is helping me to snap my elastic!

It does help, to "snap" rather than snack

Also chewing gum helps...

But today i had a cookie.
You best be reading labels as gum is usually full of artificial sweeteners
Syr is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Syr For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 06:26 AM   #4582
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

This past month has been an out of control emotional roller coaster for me for far too many reasons...as a result I haven't been eating, just can't, and have lost 14.6 lbs as of this morning. I see my WL doctor this morning and can't wait to see what his scale shows...that's where I get my "official" weight. He'll be thrilled at my loss but is going to blow a gasket when he finds out how I did it.

This is a scary time for me; not eating has become very easy and, heaven help me, somewhat "comforting" which is NOT a good thing at all. It's no secret that I am a recovering Bulimarexic, I've posted about it many times. And while I'm not in the incidious binge/purge cycle, I fear that I am heading down the more perfidious path of anorexic behaviors. And they are far more difficult to overcome...
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 07:44 AM   #4583
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,379 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Warning: product endorsement ahead.

Something that I like to do as a way of keeping an eye on things is to periodically take my measurements. I do this quarterly, it is long enough to show significant progress between measurings. It can also be really encouraging when it seems that progress seems slow. (and helps when shopping for replacement clothing)

I have always just used a cloth measuring tape meant for sewing. I ended up getting this specific body measuring tape as sort of an accident, it ended up being free when I had it shipped with something else.

The Myotape

Getting the measurement right if you don't have someone to help is kind of tricky. I would keep dropping it, or pulling it too tight, or leaving it too loose.This little thing makes it really simple. You just put it really loose around the body part and put the little pin on the end in the holder, then you just push a button and it automatically adjusts to the proper tension and holds it there. Then you can just unhook it and easily get the correct reading. You get the same tension every time. It seems like a little thing, and I never would've bothered with it, but I find it is a really cool little device.

It's $5 on Amazon.
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 07:58 PM   #4584
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 8,586 Times in 1,857 Posts
Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

So I have changed my mind about my diet.

I am posting it here as a way of holding myself accountable.

I am going to go back to the diabetic plate method diet.

I have done this in the past and it worked well for me.

I'm not diabetic but its such a healthy way to eat.

Okay that is all... thanks for listening.
Mopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #4585
Gentle Tiger

How Do You Identify?:
As a Tiger of course
Preferred Pronoun?:
Not the Old Man
Relationship Status:
Two Tigers

Thanked 15,995 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsie View Post
So I have changed my mind about my diet.

I am posting it here as a way of holding myself accountable.

I am going to go back to the diabetic plate method diet.

I have done this in the past and it worked well for me.

I'm not diabetic but its such a healthy way to eat.

Okay that is all... thanks for listening.
What is the diabetic plate method? Don't want to assume.

Gentle Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gentle Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 08:58 PM   #4586
Mopsie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female ones
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 8,586 Times in 1,857 Posts
Mopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST ReputationMopsie Has the BEST Reputation

Basically it divides up a plate this way:

(Picture your plate like a clock as I describe this)

Divide the clock in half with a line going from 12 to 6. The left side of your clock should be some sort of vegetable (non-starchy).

Now draw another line from the center of the clock to the three. The upper quadrant is lean protein and the lower quadrant is carbs.

Then you also add (off to the side) a serving of dairy and a serving of fruit.

It is an easy visual way to see the amount of food you should have each meal.

Here is a link: http://www.m.webmd.com/diabetes/usin...-with-diabetes
Mopsie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Mopsie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 09:04 PM   #4587
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Great find, Kelt!

Good idea, Mopsie.

Hope everything works out, Scarlett.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 09:17 PM   #4588
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:
A Very Protective BIG Daddy...

Thanked 5,873 Times in 1,530 Posts
PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mopsie View Post
Basically it divides up a plate this way:

(Picture your plate like a clock as I describe this)

Divide the clock in half with a line going from 12 to 6. The left side of your clock should be some sort of vegetable (non-starchy).

Now draw another line from the center of the clock to the three. The upper quadrant is lean protein and the lower quadrant is carbs.

Then you also add (off to the side) a serving of dairy and a serving of fruit.

It is an easy visual way to see the amount of food you should have each meal.

Here is a link: http://www.m.webmd.com/diabetes/usin...-with-diabetes
First of all, Mopsie, I want to thank you for sharing since I know it is difficult for you. Secondly, I did not know that is what it was called!! I am not diabetic, but the High Risk Obesity Clinic gave me a picture of this method. They include it with all packets they give to patients. The page also had a picture of a deck of cards, a baseball, a golf ball, a poker chip, a hockey puck, etc...It is used as a visual method of learning measurements. I have tried to switch to this method because it is easier to see how much I should be eating and then adhere to that amount versus what actually is taken onto my plate and ingested when not keeping a food log or thinking about it.

I think one thing I am battling for me is the actual addiction part. The sensational aspects of food: the smell, the texture, the taste, the visual component...I have realized it was never about hungry or full. As a matter of fact, I have not known hunger in many years. I do not know what it is like for my stomach to growl and tell me that it needs nourishment. Drinking a glass of water a half hour before meals does not diminish my appetite because in my addiction I entered a pattern of eating past the full point. During those times I would keep eating and then be able to eat more and without pain. That to me is just plain scary when I think about it in hindsight!!! That is insane! I guess addictions are crazy like that!

My next appointment with the doc is on the 18th. I have a nutrition class beforehand. It will be my first actual class because before I did not attend those. When going through my paperwork from all the times I have been there, I realized I have went there off and on since 2000. That is 13 years!! I think it is time to buckle down now and git 'er done! I am really struggling, but I am determined as I have said before. I also am grateful for this thread and the supportive friends I have here. Thanks to all of you for contributing to my recovery.
PaPa is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 09:30 PM   #4589
Gentle Tiger

How Do You Identify?:
As a Tiger of course
Preferred Pronoun?:
Not the Old Man
Relationship Status:
Two Tigers

Thanked 15,995 Times in 3,996 Posts
Gentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST ReputationGentle Tiger Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you for explaining Mopsie.

Gentle Tiger is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Gentle Tiger For This Useful Post:
Old 07-12-2013, 10:05 PM   #4590
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

Got my "official" number this morning and I've lost 15 lbs...for once my doctor's scale weighed me lighter than my scale at home...not usually the case, go figure.

While my doc was happy with the number he was very unhappy in that I lost that over the last 28 days. According to him it was too high a percentage of my body weight to drop in such a short amount of time.

We had a very long talk about my not eating, my history of eating disorders and everything that's been going on in my life. He actually called me anorexic and I nearly fell off my chair! I pointed out to him that I was neither cadaverous nor skeletal. He reminded me that it didn't matter, that my hair is starting to fall out and my nails have nearly stopped growing and, based on that and my history, I should know what he meant. Sadly I do and really hated to admit that to him...sometimes denial is a very comfy place.

After additional discussion we came up with a "plan" that we can both live with. I'm determined to win this battle. Wish me luck...

The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 08:43 AM   #4591
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Default I so need to remember this...

The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 01:44 PM   #4592
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:

PaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST ReputationPaPa Has the BEST Reputation
Default link about stopping food addiction

http://www.foxnews.com/health/2012/1...ood-addiction/

I read this today and learned a few interesting things so wanted to share.
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 02:57 PM   #4593
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,956 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

thank you Papa

Still on the prednisone but soon to be done,.. got get back on track!

and the test shows i have a food addiction tendency!

Truth? If we as humans only ate when we were hungry, and stopped when we were satisfied, we would not have a problem... that's my opinion anyway

Food is comfort and lack of it is comfort for me too, so when i go from starve to binge it plays havoc on me.

Progress always ongoing....
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 03:40 PM   #4594
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,246 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

I just saw this: http://commonhealth.wbur.org/2013/06...fat-acceptance

I do think we (I) need to get out of the mindset that fat=unhealthy. Not necessarily. People are the size they are for all kinds of reasons, including genetics. If there's health problems due in part to being heavy, then it makes sense to sensibly reduce. Otherwise, it makes much more sense (and costs far less) to focus on good habits instead of getting to some unrealistic shape or weight.

This week, I was diagnosed with mild, very early arthritis in one knee. I have anti-inflammatories if needed, was instructed to do gentle movement several times a week, and stretch. The doctor did recommend that I lose some weight, as excess weight is hard on knees.

So, onward. This will become a well-read thread for me, and especially the last few posts on mindful eating. I have to confess it's quite overwhelming, though. Maybe one habit at a time, done well.

(oh, and I also show "food addiction tendencies". I knew that deep down, anyway. That's the kind of thing I think I need to go back to OA for, not necessarily a focus on "losing weight").
Old 07-13-2013, 05:29 PM   #4595
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by PaPa View Post
As a matter of fact, I have not known hunger in many years. I do not know what it is like for my stomach to growl and tell me that it needs nourishment.
Been there and thought I'd never recognize true physical hunger either. But now I do and you will too. It takes some time but it does happen. Hang in there, you're worth it!
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 06:32 PM   #4596
PaPa

How Do You Identify?:
GQ Butch Daddy
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Miss Scarlett View Post
Been there and thought I'd never recognize true physical hunger either. But now I do and you will too. It takes some time but it does happen. Hang in there, you're worth it!
Thank you for the words of encouragement Miss Scarlett. Congratulations on your own growth and awareness. I think as I too raise my cognizance to my habits and be more mindful of my actions/reactions I will be able to get this addiction under control.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PaPa For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 08:13 PM   #4597
alexri

How Do You Identify?:
-

Thanked 2,799 Times in 468 Posts
alexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputationalexri Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Syr View Post
You best be reading labels as gum is usually full of artificial sweeteners
Glee Gum is a really good natural brand that does not have aspartame or any of the nasty other artificial chemicals. They even sell a home kit for making you own gum. Spry gum is also another good brand.

I avoid any of the major national brands because of the chemicals, dyes and artificial ingredients they put in the gum.
alexri is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to alexri For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 08:14 PM   #4598
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
i could skip eating all day and eat nonstop after 6pm.

Anyone else?

i love crunchy things and munching.. and thats my downfall. i spend the whole day being *good* then crave carbs and milk after 6-7 pm!
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-13-2013, 09:22 PM   #4599
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,776 Times in 25,659 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Got my "official" number this morning and I've lost 15 lbs...for once my doctor's scale weighed me lighter than my scale at home...not usually the case, go figure.

While my doc was happy with the number he was very unhappy in that I lost that over the last 28 days. According to him it was too high a percentage of my body weight to drop in such a short amount of time.

We had a very long talk about my not eating, my history of eating disorders and everything that's been going on in my life. He actually called me anorexic and I nearly fell off my chair! I pointed out to him that I was neither cadaverous nor skeletal. He reminded me that it didn't matter, that my hair is starting to fall out and my nails have nearly stopped growing and, based on that and my history, I should know what he meant. Sadly I do and really hated to admit that to him...sometimes denial is a very comfy place.

After additional discussion we came up with a "plan" that we can both live with. I'm determined to win this battle. Wish me luck...

Good luck!!! Attacking it head on is the best way to ensure your success.

dee, I'm the same way in that nighttime eating is off the charts. I can usually monitor things and keep them to an acceptable level during the day with being busy at work and running errands, etc but at night is when it becomes a true battle of willpower to eat or not eat and what to eat and when to stop.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2013, 04:43 AM   #4600
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
Good luck!!! Attacking it head on is the best way to ensure your success.

dee, I'm the same way in that nighttime eating is off the charts. I can usually monitor things and keep them to an acceptable level during the day with being busy at work and running errands, etc but at night is when it becomes a true battle of willpower to eat or not eat and what to eat and when to stop.

i remember Oprah talked about her weight loss once.. Said she was at a plateau for a while..she change one thing.. No eating after 6pm. It worked. She said she would rush home to get done eating by 6 and that got her going again.

i also heard that you should have a little protein before bedtime to keep metabolism up during the sleeping fast.......

However......Cereal and a glass of milk isn't protein lol.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post: