Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Return to the Caffe Cino

A collection of plays and memoirs edited by Steve Susoyev and George Birimisa

...getting ready for a new project next year and selecting plays. This is exciting stuff.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 12:02 PM   #1942
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

I really enjoyed this book. Let me know what you thought of it...

I was describing gist of the memoir to a friend the other day as we talked about some of the logistical planning that goes into a long hike. There were several bits in the book that were eye-opening.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Just started reading the newest book published by Alfred A. Knopf publishers (Vintage):

Wild: From Lost to Found on the Pacific Crest Trail

by Cheryl Strayed (March 26th, 2013)

Hailed as the best non-fiction book of 2012 by The Boston Globe and Book of the Year by NPR, St. Louis Dispatch and Vogue, at twenty-two, Cheryl Strayed thought she had lost everything. In the wake of her mother’s death, her family scattered and her own marriage was soon destroyed. Four years later, with nothing more to lose, she made the most impulsive decision of her life. With no experience or training, driven only by blind will, she would hike more than a thousand miles of the Pacific Crest Trail from the Mojave Desert through California and Oregon to Washington State—and she would do it alone. Told with suspense and style, sparkling with warmth and humor, Wild powerfully captures the terrors and pleasures of one young woman forging ahead against all odds on a journey that maddened, strengthened, and ultimately healed her (a brief introduction to Strayed's book provided by Amazon).

Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 12:50 PM   #1943
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Leading Ladies - Senator Kay Bailey Hutchinson

Biographical portraits of 63 American female pioneers in military service, journalism, public health, social reform, science, and politics.

Amazing how many female trailblazers I never knew about.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-01-2013, 01:56 PM   #1944
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I just started reading The Bridges of Madison County by Robert James Welles. I needed a fluffy...and short...book after the uber cerebral biography....and I did love the movie...
Old 08-01-2013, 06:13 PM   #1945
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,994 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Return to the Caffe Cino

A collection of plays and memoirs edited by Steve Susoyev and George Birimisa

...getting ready for a new project next year and selecting plays. This is exciting stuff.
Your book sounds intriguing (you'll have to tell us more about it, when you're ready) and I sense your excitement concerning new projects and plays for the up and coming season!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
I really enjoyed this book. Let me know what you thought of it...

I was describing gist of the memoir to a friend the other day as we talked about some of the logistical planning that goes into a long hike. There were several bits in the book that were eye-opening.
I chose Cheryl Strayed's book because.... her story is poignant and her journey took place in the Pacific Northwest, a place that is dear to my heart - the Pacific Crest Trail. Also, I'm reading her memoir rather slowly as I am, like I do so much of the time about anything, analysing tragedy in my own life and revisiting choices I've made over my lifetime. Interestingly enough, I feel a kindred spirit with Strayed's story. I imagine this book was terribly interesting to you Fancy, given your experience with hiking and gps/logistics.

For certain, I want to purchase a copy of the book (I borrowed it from the library downtown).

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-03-2013, 02:14 AM   #1946
PoeticSilence

How Do You Identify?:
*dodges labels*
Relationship Status:
Estranged

PoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST Reputation

Map of Dreams by M Rickert:

From Publishers Weekly

Sorrows, anguish and bitter might-have-beens dominate Rickert's fitfully brilliant collection of fantasy fiction, whose title novella, according to Gordon Van Gelder's afterword, reveals a love of the natural world that wonderfully imbues the author's often enigmatic fiction. Rickert's nature is less illumined by golden daffodils than "red in tooth and claw," rife with the fierce necessary complements of birth and death, reality and dream, sanity and madness. Rickert acknowledges her "magical realism" owes a literary debt to Gabriel García Marquez, but her most powerful passages, like "Moorina of the Seals," a startling ecological hymn, and "Many Voices," the horrific exposé of a women's prison, draw on woman's strengths and weaknesses as maiden, matron and crone. "Leda" and her other subtle retellings of myth, couched in the deceptively prosaic dialogue of America's underprivileged, achieve resonances that plumb the darkest depths of human love and loneliness, and occasionally rise to "the song that both connects, and disconnects us, shared, but never owned, life."
Copyright © Reed Business Information, a division of Reed Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved
Old 08-03-2013, 02:21 AM   #1947
sierragirrl

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
<3

Thanked 2,870 Times in 667 Posts
sierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputationsierragirrl Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

The gifts of imperfection
by Brene Brown
sierragirrl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2013, 02:18 PM   #1948
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,369 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I wasn't sure what I was going to read next...and then....I went to the post office and found I had a package. I am now reading...

On the Beaten Path: An Appalachian Pilgrimage by Robert Alden Rubin

It details the travels of a man hiking the Appalachian Trail....
Old 08-10-2013, 12:48 AM   #1949
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

I finished The Silver Linings Playbook by Matthew Quick a few weeks ago. I haven't seen the movie, so I can't compare...but I'm guessing the movie must be much better. The book was okay, even good in some places. But when it was *finally* time for the Big Reveal, I was a bit disappointed.

After that, I read Castle Waiting, a graphic novel by Linda Medley. It doesn't deviate much from the fairy-tale formula, but it's a good read. I think i picked up some Neil Gaiman influences, which might be why I liked it.

I just downloaded Orange Is the New Black: My Year in a Women's Prison by Piper Kerman. I just finished episode 8 of the TV show, am completely hooked, and had to get the book to feed my obsession.
Old 08-10-2013, 03:06 AM   #1950
PoeticSilence

How Do You Identify?:
*dodges labels*
Relationship Status:
Estranged

PoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST ReputationPoeticSilence Has the BEST Reputation

The Surgeon's Tale by Cat Rambo and Jeff VanderMeer

In a world where magic is fading and science begun to ascend, a young surgeon in medical school experiences an obsession so forbidden that its realization will change him forever. "She looked as if she were asleep, still with that slight smile, floating on the thick sargassum, glowing from the emerald tincture that would keep the small crabs and other scavengers from her. She looked otherworldly and beautiful." Sometimes life is not enough. Also including five more stories of dark wonder from Rambo and VanderMeer, from "The Dead Girl's Wedding March" to "The Farmer's Cat." Enter a world of rat suitors, severed arms, and Fungi Et Fruits de Mer, served up with prose both appetizing and uncanny. Dark fantasy has never been quite so decadent . . .(amazon.com)

The author Cat Rambo is someone I know in RL.
Old 08-12-2013, 12:09 PM   #1951
deathbypoem

How Do You Identify?:
Poetically versed to breathe only truth and bleed certainty
Preferred Pronoun?:
Kane
Relationship Status:
Married to Chefnaction

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,586 Posts
deathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputation

Reading a book online that I read in paperback a few weeks ago.

It's about a woman in a polygamist group that fights with her entire might to get the hell out of there.
It's called Escape.

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own
deathbypoem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to deathbypoem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 12:47 PM   #1952
nycfem

How Do You Identify?:
femme sub
Preferred Pronoun?:
Baby Grrl
Relationship Status:
Attached

Thanked 21,720 Times in 5,083 Posts
nycfem has disabled reputation

I loved that book!

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Escape-Carolyn-Jessop/dp/0767927575/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1376333242&sr=8-1&keywords=escape"]Escape: Carolyn Jessop, Laura Palmer: 9780767927574: Amazon.com: Books[/ame]

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathbypoem View Post
Reading a book online that I read in paperback a few weeks ago.

It's about a woman in a polygamist group that fights with her entire might to get the hell out of there.
It's called Escape.

How do I... ?
Check out the Members Helping Members thread:
http://www.butchfemmeplanet.com/foru...embers+Helping
nycfem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to nycfem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 01:05 PM   #1953
deathbypoem

How Do You Identify?:
Poetically versed to breathe only truth and bleed certainty
Preferred Pronoun?:
Kane
Relationship Status:
Married to Chefnaction

Thanked 4,743 Times in 1,586 Posts
deathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputationdeathbypoem Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post
oh my goodness. Me too. Little did I know that all of that really existed. I mean to an extent I knew of things here and there but that is beyond disturbing. glad you enjoyed it too

I need your grace
To remind me
To find my own
deathbypoem is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to deathbypoem For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 01:56 PM   #1954
Soon
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
attached

Thanked 13,118 Times in 3,391 Posts
Soon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST ReputationSoon Has the BEST Reputation
Default Memoirs Recently Ordered (only started reading the first one...like it so far)

[ame="http://www.amazon.com/Coming-Clean-A-Memoir-ebook/dp/B00B77UDXO/ref=sr_1_1?s=digital-text&ie=UTF8&qid=1376337146&sr=1-1&keywords=coming+clean"]Coming Clean: A Memoir: Kimberly Rae Miller[/ame]

Both Blurbs Taken From Amazon:

Kim Miller is an immaculately put-together woman with a great career, a loving boyfriend, and a tidy apartment on Manhattan’s Upper West Side. You would never guess that Kim grew up behind the closed doors of her family’s idyllic Long Island house, navigating between teetering stacks of aging newspapers, broken computers, and boxes upon boxes of unused junk festering in every room—the product of her father’s painful and unending struggle with hoarding.
In this moving coming-of-age story, Kim brings to life her rat-infested home, her childhood consumed by concealing her father’s shameful secret from friends, and the emotional burden that ultimately led to an attempt to take her own life. And in beautiful prose, Miller sheds light on her complicated yet loving relationship with her parents that has thrived in spite of the odds.

Coming Clean is a story about recognizing where we come from and the relationships that define us—and about finding peace in the homes we make for ourselves.

-----------
The Chronology of Water: A Memoir Paperback
by Lidia Yuknavitch

This is not your mother’s memoir. In The Chronology of Water, Lidia Yuknavitch expertly moves the reader through issues of gender, sexuality, violence, and the family from the point of view of a lifelong swimmer turned artist. In writing that explores the nature of memoir itself, her story traces the effect of extreme grief on a young woman’s developing sexuality that some define as untraditional because of her attraction to both men and women. Her emergence as a writer evolves at the same time and takes the narrator on a journey of addiction, self-destruction, and ultimately survival that finally comes in the shape of love and motherhood.
Soon is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Soon For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 04:01 PM   #1955
KCBUTCH

How Do You Identify?:
Undaunted QUEER Dom, Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
MYSELF, Syr, Hy, or friend prefered
Relationship Status:
Cautious, indifferent...

Thanked 3,305 Times in 884 Posts
KCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST ReputationKCBUTCH Has the BEST Reputation

The 40 day Prosperity program
Old 08-12-2013, 08:06 PM   #1956
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Destiny of the Republic by Candice Miller
President Garfield spent $150 on his Presidential campaign. It's an amazing account of his presidency.

The Language of Flowers
In spite of the plot holes big enough to drive a Mac truck through, I loved the characters.

The Perfume Collector
It's a great realistic fiction about classic perfumes.

The Cuckoo's Calling
I almost gave up on the stereotypical characters, but they're intentional. I loved the kitten stationary. Very Dolores Umbridge.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to blush For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2013, 08:11 PM   #1957
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,308 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

CLR via C# 4th edition 2012 by Jeff Richter

I am very familiar with parts of it but decided today to study/read one chapter a day at work ... I believe it will be beneficial. It is some 900 pages of pure geek.
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 10:02 AM   #1958
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
I'm reading book 1 in the "Game of Thrones" series.

It's a just such a huge time investment. I haven't had more than an hour a day, to read, for a couple of weeks; I don't feel I'm making a lot of progress with the book, I'm only 50% through book 1 after 2 weeks of reading. For the first time ever I'm tempted to skip the books and watch the television show. But I *know* I will get much more out of the book. I just can't decide if its worth it yet.

I stuck with book 1 of 'Song of Fire and Ice: Game of Thrones' - based upon feedback from a few of you and now I am totally addicted. I'm currently at 65% of book 3 'A Storm of Swords'; I've just passed the "red wedding" scene.

Definitely worth the time investment, thanks for all the great feedback!
Old 08-13-2013, 01:36 PM   #1959
puddin'
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
a genderqueer nuisance
Preferred Pronoun?:
bitchboi

Thanked 7,973 Times in 2,344 Posts
puddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputationpuddin' Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycfem View Post

wow, will hafta check that one out.

"buried (a bone secrets novel)", by kendra elliot

""let's explore diabetes with owls", david sedaris
puddin' is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to puddin' For This Useful Post:
Old 08-13-2013, 02:41 PM   #1960
ONLY

How Do You Identify?:
well my girl calls me honeybear, sugarbear, sexy beast, hot tamale.....
Preferred Pronoun?:
female pronouns
Relationship Status:
Married to my Rare Beauty with a Beautiful Soul.....SS

2 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 1

Thanked 1,735 Times in 679 Posts
ONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST ReputationONLY Has the BEST Reputation

Affliction by Laura K. Hamilton (the Anita Blake series)
Excellent series ( I think this is book 21 or so) SS got me hooked on them

ONLY is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
books, reading