Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,008 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation
Default Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Legacy

Ruth Bader Ginsburg’s Legacy

In the rearview mirror, the victories of a trailblazing feminist. On the road ahead, the threat of an entrenched and powerful minority.

By The New York Times Editorial Board
The editorial board is a group of opinion journalists whose views are informed by expertise, research, debate and certain longstanding values. It is separate from the newsroom.

Sept. 19, 2020

Illustration by Nicholas Konrad/The New York Times; photograph by Diana Walker/The LIFE Images Collection/Getty Images

Justice Ruth Bader Ginsburg, who died Friday at the age of 87, will forever have two legacies.

The one Americans could be focusing on right now is the one of legal trailblazer: Justice Ginsburg, the second woman ever to be appointed to the Supreme Court, paved the way for women’s equality before the law, and for women’s rights to be taken seriously by the courts and by society.

As an attorney she argued, and won, multiple cases at the Supreme Court in the 1970s, eventually persuading an all-male bench to apply the 14th Amendment’s equal protection clause to sex-based discrimination. On the court, she continued to point the way toward greater equality in opinions like United States v. Virginia, which held unconstitutional the Virginia Military Institute’s policy of refusing to admit women. “Inherent differences between men and women, we have come to appreciate, remain cause for celebration,” Justice Ginsburg wrote for a 7-to-1 majority, “but not for denigration of the members of either sex or for artificial constraints on an individual’s opportunity.” It was sweet revenge for someone who had once been rejected for jobs at top New York law firms, and denied a clerkship on the Supreme Court, because she was a woman.

The other legacy of Justice Ginsburg’s that the country is now urgently forced to confront is the cold political reality that she died in the final weeks of a presidential campaign, at a moment when President Trump and Mitch McConnell, the Senate majority leader, appear to be dead-set on replacing her with someone who would obliterate much of the progress she helped the country make.

The court now faces a serious crisis of legitimacy. Senate Republicans, who represent a minority of the nation, and a president elected by a minority of the nation, are now in a position to solidify their control of the third branch of government. The Supreme Court, with another Trump appointee, could stand as a conservative firewall against the expressed will of a majority of Americans on a range of crucial issues.

The cynicism of the political moment stands in sharp relief against Justice Ginsburg’s idealism. She faced down multiple bouts of cancer and other health emergencies during her tenure on the bench. Through it all, she never wavered in her commitment to the court as a vehicle for a more just and more equal America. She was a dogged, tireless fighter — it was easy to imagine she might live another 20 years, battling back whatever came at her. Of course, we knew better.

Defending her decision not to retire when President Barack Obama could have picked her replacement, she said, “There will be a president after this one, and I’m hopeful that that president will be a fine president.” She never anticipated President Donald Trump, whom she called a “faker” during a 2016 interview. She shouldn’t have said it, but she was right.

Everyone who cares about the integrity of the nation’s highest court has been dreading a moment like this — the death of a justice as Americans are already casting their ballots in the most contentious and consequential presidential election in living memory. The future of the court now rests in the hands of Mr. McConnell, the man who has done more damage to the court’s standing than perhaps anyone in modern American history.

With Mr. McConnell’s help, President Trump has already filled two seats on the court with hard-right ideologues. The first, Neil Gorsuch, is a justice solely because of Mr. McConnell’s obstruction, on false pretenses, of President Obama’s nomination of Merrick Garland. The second, Brett Kavanaugh, was a highly contentious nominee with a long, troubling record in government that Mr. McConnell hid from the American people. And that was before Mr. Kavanaugh faced credible allegations of sexual assault.

At least there was no question about the circumstances surrounding the vacancy that Justice Kavanaugh filled. In contrast, Justice Gorsuch’s seat is forever stained by Mr. McConnell’s outrageous ploy to deny a Democratic president an appointment. At the time, the majority leader claimed that he was holding open the seat that had been held by Justice Antonin Scalia because it was an election year, and the American people should have a “voice” in choosing the next justice.

Mr. McConnell disavowed that position almost immediately, claiming that it only applies when the presidency and the Senate are controlled by different parties. On Friday night, he said, “President Trump’s nominee will receive a vote on the floor of the United States Senate” — even though the election is less than two months away. So much for the American people.

Throughout the Trump years, Republicans have shown little willingness to place principle above party, or to place the long-term interests of the nation above short-term political victories. But perhaps a few Republican senators will take the quickened pulse of the nation and consider the case to postpone resolving Justice Ginsburg’s replacement.

Justice Ginsburg, who was Jewish, died on the eve of Rosh Hashana, the Jewish new year. Fittingly, it is a day when Jews look backward and forward, reflecting on what has passed, and preparing for what is to come. Justice Ginsburg’s death marks the end of her long battle on behalf of equality for all Americans. Others must now carry that fight forward.

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/09/19/o...gtype=Homepage
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 03:39 AM   #1022
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

She tried so hard to outlive this presidency. To Protect us from the four worst people ever to occupy power in Washington . . . Trump, Pence, Barr and McConnell. She was so tiny, but she was full of fight.

Ruthie Ruthie, sister where art thou? I have been blessed for so long by your intelligence, determination and sheer chutzpah. Your passing has left a well of fear and anxiety in my life and that of millions who loved you. You will be sorely missed.

"May God comfort her family among all the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem."

"May God comfort us all among all the mourners of Zion and Jerusalem."
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 04:49 AM   #1023
tantalizingfemme

How Do You Identify?:
Me

Thanked 4,011 Times in 823 Posts
tantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputationtantalizingfemme Has the BEST Reputation

I am also so sad that RBG has died. I am even sadder at the thought that she probably spent her last weeks, days, hours, minutes worried about dying before the election rather than being able to take that time to solely focus on herself and her family. She spent so much of her life championing for other and I just hope that at the end she was able to focus on and receive what she needed to pass peacefully.
tantalizingfemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to tantalizingfemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 05:24 PM   #1024
C0LLETTE
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Depends on the day.
Preferred Pronoun?:
"I" and "we"
Relationship Status:
Very good. Thank you for asking.

Thanked 15,265 Times in 4,345 Posts
C0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST ReputationC0LLETTE Has the BEST Reputation

RIP JOHN TURNER
CANADA"S 17th PRIME MINISTE
R

John Turner, who became Canada’s 17th prime minister on June 30, 1984, was once “the golden boy” of the federal Liberal Party. His career, which began with great promise and propelled him to the highest office in the land, eventually became tinged with pathos as he led his party to its worst defeat in the 20th century a few weeks later.

Turner died at age 91 on Sept. 19, 2020.

Turner was a charismatic politician, conventionally handsome with piercing blue eyes. He was a feel-good, back-slapping extrovert with a bulging Rolodex. He boasted he knew more people on a first name basis than anyone else in Canada and he kept in touch.

A politician of the old school, he was unfailingly courteous, even to his political enemies, and saw public service as a duty for those who had been given much by society.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to C0LLETTE For This Useful Post:
Old 09-19-2020, 07:07 PM   #1025
VintageFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 7,641 Times in 1,657 Posts
VintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST ReputationVintageFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Text RGB to 50409 to have letters via Resistbot sent to your officials requesting they wait to confirm a new justice until after the inauguration.
Old 09-19-2020, 09:43 PM   #1026
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by VintageFemme View Post
Text RGB to 50409 to have letters via Resistbot sent to your officials requesting they wait to confirm a new justice until after the inauguration.
I'm signer 305,721 and letters have been sent to both of my representatives. Thanks for the head's up on this. I was so crushed to hear of RGB's passing.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 09-30-2020, 04:02 AM   #1027
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,130 Times in 4,735 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation

RIP 1970's singer Helen Reddy died at the age of 78 ~ her most famous song was "I AM WOMAN "
Old 09-30-2020, 09:26 PM   #1028
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

My personal favorite was "Angie Baby".

Also to pass is the first person to be cured of HIV, Timothy Ray Brown, known as "the Berlin patient". He died of a recurrence of cancer. He was 54.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 02:02 PM   #1029
Bèsame*
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femm
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
☀️☀️☀️

Thanked 39,473 Times in 10,186 Posts
Bèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST ReputationBèsame* Has the BEST Reputation

Eddie Van Halen dies at 65

Eddie Van Halen, whose innovative and explosive guitar playing kept the hard rock band that bore his family name cemented to the top of the album charts for two decades, died on Tuesday morning after a long battle with cancer, a rep confirmed to Variety. He was 65.

A kiss is a whisper in your mouth.
Can I borrow a kiss? I promise to give it back.
Bèsame* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to Bèsame* For This Useful Post:
Old 10-06-2020, 11:53 PM   #1030
Gráinne

How Do You Identify?:
Neither, nada, out of the box
Preferred Pronoun?:
My name always works
Relationship Status:
Happy whatever happens

Thanked 7,247 Times in 1,416 Posts
Gráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST ReputationGráinne Has the BEST Reputation

And Johnny Nash, of "I Can See Clearly Now", dead at 80.
Old 10-07-2020, 08:42 AM   #1031
MaddieRobbie

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Free

MaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST ReputationMaddieRobbie Has the BEST Reputation

Eddie Van Halen!! My older brother used to worship him! He'd spend hours trying to learn his licks and tricks. I've never been a huge Van Halen fan, but I'm a sentimental fool about those certain songs my brother spent hours trying to learn and then play with his garage band.

Rock on, Eddie.
MaddieRobbie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to MaddieRobbie For This Useful Post:
Old 10-07-2020, 01:53 PM   #1032
~ocean
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme *blows a kiss off my finger tips **
Preferred Pronoun?:
~ hey girl ~
Relationship Status:
~ single & content ~

Thanked 16,130 Times in 4,735 Posts
~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation~ocean Has the BEST Reputation
Default ~

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaddieRobbie View Post
Eddie Van Halen!! My older brother used to worship him! He'd spend hours trying to learn his licks and tricks. I've never been a huge Van Halen fan, but I'm a sentimental fool about those certain songs my brother spent hours trying to learn and then play with his garage band.

Rock on, Eddie.
Van Halen was married to Valerie Bertinelli for years they have a son wolfgang halen
Old 10-31-2020, 04:25 PM   #1033
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Thanked 2,352 Times in 862 Posts
PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
Post Rest In Peace Sean Connery ❤️

Legendary James Bond actor Sean Connery has died at 90.

The Scottish Bafta-winning star played the British spy James Bond in seven films from 1962 until 1983. He died in his sleep in the Bahamas.
While the cause of death is yet to be announced, it is believed the actor had been unwell for a long period of time.
PlatinumPearl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-01-2020, 04:43 PM   #1034
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Nikki McKibbin, who came in third on the first season of American Idol, has passed from a brain aneurysm. She was 42.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-08-2020, 12:43 PM   #1035
theoddz

How Do You Identify?:
Old Poop
Preferred Pronoun?:
Mr. Beast
Relationship Status:
Happily Married

Thanked 9,856 Times in 2,470 Posts
theoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputationtheoddz Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Alex Trebek, longtime host of the popular game show, Jeopardy, has passed away from pancreatic cancer at age 80.

I didn't know Alex Trebek personally, of course, but I do have a rather funny story about him. My story about Alex goes back to 1984, when I worked in the field of television production for my hometown's then ABC affiliate, WSAV-TV 3, in Savannah, Georgia. This was after I got out of the Marine Corps in 1981. Savannah has always had a huge celebration on St. Patrick's Day, due to our very large Irish population and Savannah's celebration of that holiday is second only to that in New York City, so it's a pretty big occasion and draws large crowds and and an equally large parade. Bands, celebrities, public figures and large rowdy celebrants are known to descend on Savannah for this yearly event.

The folks at WSAV knew that my mother and I had moved from Savannah to Iowa/Illinois for my last year in high school, before I joined the military, and I suppose it was along this line of thinking that seemed to have them, as a group, under some kind of strange impression that I MUST know how to drive the John Deere tractor that was to pull the WSAV station parade float!! Actually, I had absolutely no idea about how to drive a tractor. I could (and did) drive a motorcycle and, of course, a car back then, but I was completely clueless as to how a tractor was operated. I wasn't even from Iowa/Illinois or any kind of "farm country". I was a city kid to the core!! Anyway, my manager politely smiled, patted me on the head and said, "No problem. We'll lash the two steering pedals together and it'll be simple for you." I was young, stupid and silly but agreed to try to do my bit and give it a try. What was going to be even better (read more stressful) to this situation was the fact that Alex Trebek, the celebrated long time host of the show, Jeopardy, was going to be riding on the station float for the parade.

The morning of the parade finally arrived and the morning was foggy, chilly and overcast. I had consumed 2 large Stanley thermos bottlefulls of hot black coffee to warm me up and carefully maneuvered that John Deere tractor into position for the guys to hitch up the WSAV float. A few minutes later, there was Alex Trebek, dressed in his suit that was covered up by an extra large plastic Hefty trash bag that had a hole cut out for Trebek's head to poke out of. One of the other production assistants was conscripted to hold an umbrella over Trebek's head to keep his hair from getting wet. He climbed up on the float and, with the throngs of screaming women fans screaming wildly, calmly took his seat atop the float. I admired his perceived confidence in my tractor driving skills, but the truth was that I was just hoping to be able to make it through the parade route without running someone over or ploughing the float into something, like the curb, or a band or some of the folks gathered on the sides of the parade route . I hadn't quite gotten the touch of the clutch down, so for me, it was a herky jerky, inch by inch movement that got us started down the street with the parade.

I was gradually getting used to the movement of everything, but it was a painfully slow process, marked by the sudden lurchings and brakings of that damned tractor. Every time we slowed, stopped or resumed our procession, I nearly knocked Alex Trebek off of the back end of that float and on to the hard asphalt of the street, in front of his adoring masses. I remember looking back over my shoulder to check on things and locking his eyes with mine. What I saw then can only be described as his complete and utter antipathy towards me.

Just when I thought that things couldn't have possibly become any worse, those 2 quarts of hot black coffee that I thought I was so smart to consume in that cold fog before the parade......hit. And it hit HARD, because I ended up having to piss so bad, I thought my eyes would cross. Of course, I'm certain that the entire desperate state I was in, physically, caused my feet to punch those steering/braking/accelerator pedals on that tractor exponentially harder, and thus, the herky jerky motion still worse!! How I managed to hold my poor bladder without completely soaking myself halfway through that parade had to be a pure and complete act of divine intercession at its best.

To this day, I look back on that St. Patrick's Day in Savannah as one of my "finer" moments. I will also forever remember, with a certain fondness, too, Alex Trebek and that "I'm gonna smack the taste right out of your mouth" look in his eyes as he scrambled to hang on to his perch on that wet slippery float while wearing that silly-ass giant Hefty bag "raincoat".

Well, the next time someone is looking for someone to drive a frippin' tractor.....can just keep lookin'. Just don't look at me.

RIP Alex. I applaud your courage.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/11/08/enter...rnd/index.html

~Theo~ .......still cannot drive a tractor.
Old 11-28-2020, 06:30 PM   #1036
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

PlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST ReputationPlatinumPearl Has the BEST Reputation
Post RIP Tony Hsieh

Tony Hsieh in 2013. He led Zappos, the online shoe retailer, for two decades.

Tony Hsieh, the technology entrepreneur and venture capitalist who built Zappos into a $1 billion internet shoes and clothing powerhouse, died on Friday. He was 46.

The cause was injuries suffered in a house fire on Nov. 18 in New London, Conn., according to Megan Fazio, a spokeswoman for the Downtown Project in Las Vegas, a revitalization effort which Mr. Hsieh oversaw.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/28/o...imes&smtyp=cur
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 11:57 AM   #1037
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Post RIP David Prowse

David Prowse called Darth Vader "the ultimate screen villain of all time."

David Prowse, the champion English weightlifter and bodybuilder who supplied his 6-foot-7 frame — but not the voice or the deep breathing — to portray Darth Vader in the original Star Wars trilogy, died early Saturday morning following a short illness. He was 85.

Source: https://www.hollywoodreporter.com/ne..._medium=social
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 11-29-2020, 12:10 PM   #1038
PlatinumPearl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme, Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her

Post RIP James D. Wolfensohn

James D. Wolfensohn who Led the World Bank for 10 Years, Dies at 86 on November 25, 2020.

James D. Wolfensohn, who escaped a financially pinched Australian childhood to become a top Wall Street deal maker and a two-term president of the World Bank, died on Wednesday at his home in Manhattan. He was 86.

He was a force on Wall Street before taking the reins of the bank in 1995, then proceeded to shake it up. He did the same at both Carnegie Hall and the Kennedy Center.

Source: https://www.nytimes.com/2020/11/25/b...sohn-dead.html
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to PlatinumPearl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2020, 07:25 PM   #1039
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Default Squiggy has left the building

These guys used to crack me up.

Celebrity tributes are in for Laverne & Shirley star David Lander who died on Friday at age 73, including from Michael McKean who played “Lenny” to David’s “Squiggy” on the classic television show.

The actor’s wife Kathy Lander told TMZ that David died at 6:30 p.m. at Los Angeles’s Cedars-Sinai Medical Center due to complications from multiple sclerosis (MS), a disease that damages the brain and spinal cord. Kathy and David’s daughter Natalie, and her husband, were by his side at the time of his death.

David played Andrew “Squiggy” Squiggman on the sitcom that aired from 1976 to 1983, with pal Lenny Kosnowski, played by Michael McKean. The tough-talking truck drivers lived upstairs from the show’s namesake characters Laverne DeFazio (played by Penny Marshall, who later became a successful director) and Shirley Feeney (Cindy Williams), best friends and former factory workers.

On Saturday, McKean of Better Call Saul and Batman, posted a vintage photo of the pair standing back-to-back. The men created the legendary characters while attending college at Carnegie Mellon University in Pittsburgh, Pa., and together joined the cast of Laverne & Shirley, a spin-off of Happy Days, as writers before moving into acting roles.

According to People, David, who played in Who Framed Roger Rabbit and Scary Movie, was diagnosed with MS in 1984, but only announced his illness in his 1999 book Fall Down Laughing: How Squiggy Caught Multiple Sclerosis and Didn't Tell Nobody. He was also very involved with MS advocacy.

The Twiter hashtag #RIPSquiggy took off while celebs shared memories. Comedian Kathy Griffin and Brady Bunch star Maureen McCormck left heartbreak emojis under McKean’s post while director Kevin Smith tweeted, “This funny man made my childhood happier with his work on “Laverne & Shirley” and his guest appearance on @TheSimpsons as himself still makes me laugh today (“Hello, Laverne...”). Rest In Peace David, and thank you: There’s a little Lenny & Squiggy in the DNA of Jay & Silent Bob.”

“So sorry Michael,” wrote retired NBA star Rex Chapman.

Saverio Guerra, who played “Mocha Joe” on Curb Your Enthusiasm, said he took inspiration from Lander, whose character’s enthusiastic greeting — “Hello! — was his calling card. “So sad to hear of David's passing,” he tweeted. “When I was on the show Becker, I had little tributes to the actors I spent my youth watching on sitcoms. The leather jacket I wore was my nod to [Henry Winkler’s “Fonzi” character from Happy Days] and some of my character’s entrances were my little tribute to Lenny and Squiggy.”

He added, “So thank you David. You’ll never know how much those ‘Hellos’ meant to me.”

Star Wars actor Mark Hamill, who played Luke Skywalker in the film franchise tweeted, “Awful news. He will be sorely missed. I'll never forget how I nearly injured myself laughing when I first saw you guys in The Credibility Gap. Then came Lenny & Squiggy & the laughs just kept coming. I'll always be grateful for that.”

McKean’s Better Call Saul co-star Rhea Seahorn left multiple heart emojis on his post while Rob Reiner recalled, “David and I met when we were both 19. He and Michael KcKean auditioned for Lenny and Sguiggy by just improvising in front of Garry Marshall at a party at Penny and my house. He was brilliant then and forever after. He will be missed.” “Hello!” — was a mainstay on Laverne & Shirley.

I'm misunderestimated.
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2020, 04:35 PM   #1040
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default RIP Charley Pride

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 9 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post: