Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-12-2009, 06:43 AM   #1
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Thanked 17,180 Times in 5,238 Posts
Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default BOOKS~BOOKS~BOOKS!!!

If there is a duplicate thread for this, I couldn't find it......

I know there are a lot of us who adore reading. There was a time for me when I couldn't be seen without a book. I'm not such a voracious reader anymore, but that doesn't mean I don't appreciate a good book. My favorite thing is to spend HOURS in a good bookstore.....heaven.

So....here's a thread where we can throw out our favorites....give us a review.....what kinds of books do You enjoy most? Stuff like that!

One of my favorite books ~ and I've read it twice now ~ is "The Secret Life Of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. Also a favorite of mine was "Snow Flower & The Secret Fan" by Lisa See.

Enjoy, readers!

Diva is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 09:27 AM   #2
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

Fantastic thread Diva, one I will be in often I'm sure

I love reading, though I haven't been able to find much time to do that as of late. I have always loved books by V.C. Andrews (mostly her first book series on the Dollinganger family) as well as books by Lisa Jackson (especially My favorite Final Scream)

I might just have to take a trip to the local Chapters bookstore this week and treat Myself to a new book!!!!
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 09:29 AM   #3
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

I love reading! Its one of my passions. There isnt a day even when Im sick that I dont read.
I read 99% of the time non fiction. I love learning and well I tend to find one subject and read everything I can find at the local small library. Ive pretty much wiped out all the Royalty books (older not contemp.) I have read easily 60 books on Queen Elizabeth I and the Tudors in general.

Right now I just started - The Sisters Who Would Be Queen by Leanda de Lisle Its about the Sisters Grey, Mary, Katherine and Lady Jane. Ive just started it so cant review per se but for me any book covering the subject involving The Tudors Im sure I will enjoy it

I love these threads about books but I will say it does help me alot for someone to give a quick synopsis of what the book is about. It helps me to determine if I want to put it on "My List" for reading
Old 12-12-2009, 09:37 AM   #4
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Diva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST ReputationDiva Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Thanks for posting, Y'all......

I'm more into fiction....and I like fiction based on historical events. That's what "Snow Flower" was.....based in the 1800's, it was about a Chinese woman....from her childhood to her old age. I was intrigued by the customs of breaking and binding of their feet.....the manner of matchmaking and even the formation of friendships....

This may sound quite odd....but sometimes, I will buy a book based on how it feels in my hands.....

I know. But I have rarely been disappointed.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 09:44 AM   #5
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

Inuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST ReputationInuus Has the BEST Reputation

Now I will read a fiction book if its based somehow on historical events (Im a history nut).

That book you mentioned would be something I might read

Quote:
Originally Posted by Diva View Post
Thanks for posting, Y'all......

I'm more into fiction....and I like fiction based on historical events. That's what "Snow Flower" was.....based in the 1800's, it was about a Chinese woman....from her childhood to her old age. I was intrigued by the customs of breaking and binding of their feet.....the manner of matchmaking and even the formation of friendships....

This may sound quite odd....but sometimes, I will buy a book based on how it feels in my hands.....

I know. But I have rarely been disappointed.
Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #6
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuus View Post
Now I will read a fiction book if its based somehow on historical events (Im a history nut).

That book you mentioned would be something I might read

All I can say is I have ADD and I couldn't put it down...... <smile>
Old 12-12-2009, 09:47 AM   #7
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

think another thread is called "Whatcha reading"

Diva,,,I to will puchase a book based on how it feels in my hands. Now that i have a kindle I do not have that method of choice as frequently.
Snow flower was a beautifully well written read..

I read primarily non fiction all subjects imagineable but do try to toss in a fiction or two each week to lighten up the list and have a few smiles or tears. If you have not yet read "The Help" I highly recommend it. it has recently hit the best sellers list, which is one of the few that deserves that rating.

Another book I absolutely adored was "March" remember the book little women? this is the story of PaPa and what he was doing when he was away.....Fantastic READ....course anything by the author of "MARCH" is a worthy read, she writes fiction and non fiction and I have enjoyed both spectrums of her writing.

Currently, I am without books to read so will be wandering the stacks and looking for this weeks selections. any suggestions?
Old 12-12-2009, 09:52 AM   #8
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Oh dear! I've duplicated another thread? I truly did look....<sigh> Forgive me!

Hmmm.....let me think.......Fiction: "The Book Of Ruth" by Jane Hamilton....have You read this? It's her first book...and a treasure....set in a small town....earthy and real in her character study....loved it.
The Following User Says Thank You to Diva For This Useful Post:
Old 12-12-2009, 09:53 AM   #9
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I am always reading!
not usually the popular books LOL
I like my vampire books
stuff I can learn from
sci fi
I have read the vc andrews series

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 09:55 AM   #10
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Someone recently gave me the Anne Rice "Beauty" Series......have You read this? Will I like it? lol

Old 12-12-2009, 10:21 AM   #11
Dean Thoreau

How Do You Identify?:
Ftm - Male- exfemale
Preferred Pronoun?:
He’s Him
Relationship Status:
Has a gf

Dean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST ReputationDean Thoreau Has the BEST Reputation

If you like clive barker or stephanie pullman you should prolly like anne rice....

least that is what the literature map indicates:

check this out: http://www.literature-map.com/

type in name of author u are thinking of and u will see a map appear of writers considered similar.....I have found this to be a great help when i need to find a new author or someone recommends an author to me...i look and sew where authors i like fall in with the one recommened...Its not failsafe....by any means...but can give u a little help in discovering different writers.
Old 12-12-2009, 10:24 AM   #12
Inuus

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/Her
Relationship Status:
Single Not Looking

An example of a fiction book based on history that I liked was Lucrezia Borgia by John Faunce. Got it on the clearance rack at Hastings

Lucrezia Borgia was the daughter of Pope Alexander VI. There are several rumors surounding her that has persisted through the years such as incest (sex with both her Father and brother Cesare), poisonings and murder.
This book was written as if Lucrezia was telling the story. I thought it was a very good book myself and of course for its cheap price it was even better
Old 12-12-2009, 10:36 AM   #13
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Inuus View Post
An example of a fiction book based on history that I liked was Lucrezia Borgia by John Faunce. Got it on the clearance rack at Hastings

Lucrezia Borgia was the daughter of Pope Alexander VI. There are several rumors surounding her that has persisted through the years such as incest (sex with both her Father and brother Cesare), poisonings and murder.
This book was written as if Lucrezia was telling the story. I thought it was a very good book myself and of course for its cheap price it was even better

Ok, this sounds really wonderful.....

AND.....clearance rack, no less! My cuppa!
Old 12-12-2009, 10:57 AM   #14
blush

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I'm with goofy.

Thanked 2,376 Times in 616 Posts
blush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputationblush Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

One of my favorite books ~ and I've read it twice now ~ is "The Secret Life Of Bees" by Sue Monk Kidd. Also a favorite of mine was "Snow Flower & The Secret Fan" by Lisa See.

Enjoy, readers!

I loved this book. I read it over the summer. She kinda reminded me of Pearl S. Buck.
Old 12-12-2009, 11:20 AM   #15
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Someone recently gave me the Anne Rice "Beauty" Series......have You read this? Will I like it? lol

Yes....and yes you will love it.

The series is on one of the bookshelves in my nitestand.

And looking above at the book suggestions,, The Tudor's have always interested me. So, I will start with The Sisters Who Would Be Queen by Leanda de Lisle. My Grandmother was called Lady Jane..
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2009, 01:13 PM   #16
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by blush View Post
I loved this book. I read it over the summer. She kinda reminded me of Pearl S. Buck.

Now that You mention it, she DOES!

If You liked that, please try "Snow Flower & The Secret Fan".....I heart that book so much....
Old 12-13-2009, 10:22 AM   #17
Diva
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Diva
Preferred Pronoun?:
Diva

Member Photo Albums

What has Nicholas Sparks written lately? And is it the same format as his other stuff? I have loved the things he's written early on, but after about 8 of his works, they all start reading the same to me.....is it just me?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:04 PM   #18
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Have you ever gotten a book only to discover it is part of a series? And now have to hunt down the rest of the books? Or better yet the book you found is like the 3rd in a series?

Old 12-13-2009, 12:06 PM   #19
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Member Photo Albums

I write in books I own. Highlight, underline, make notes, dog ear pages, etc. Only in my own books. I see books as interactive LOL

The Following User Says Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-13-2009, 01:28 PM   #20
T4Texas

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Ready to play again!

T4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST ReputationT4Texas Has the BEST Reputation
Default Books

I used to read voraciously, then stopped for some years and now are just taking it up again. I generally like non fiction such as bios, historical, gay history and art/photography. However I recently read Stone Butch Blues after years of hearing about it from other people and found it to be a pretty good read.