Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 12-22-2010, 07:45 AM   #1
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Thanked 1,690 Times in 1,064 Posts
lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation
Default Re: Knitting or crocheting? Does anyone have this hobbie?

I have just learned how to knit and need help with some of the basics and just wondering do any of you guys knit or crochet?? What kind of crocheting do you do and do you have patterns? How about knitting books any suggestions would be helpful...thanks
Old 12-23-2010, 05:33 AM   #2
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

lipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputationlipstixgal Has the BEST Reputation

Just bumping this thread!!
Old 12-23-2010, 11:21 AM   #3
AlchemyGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, princess, babygrrl ;)
Relationship Status:
in a budding relationship ;)

AlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Hi! Congratulations on working to learn something new. I have a couple of recommendations for you. When you have a chance, you might want to check out http://www.lionbrand.com/ and http://www.ravelry.com/. Both have patterns for all experience levels and tutorials. They also have online communities and forums to ask questions and share your work on. The best part is that they are free. I am big on free, LOL!

If you have an specific issues, I would be glad to try and help. Knitting and Crocheting are my "thing".

AlchemyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to AlchemyGrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-23-2010, 11:24 AM   #4
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlchemy View Post
Hi! Congratulations on working to learn something new. I have a couple of recommendations for you. When you have a chance, you might want to check out http://www.lionbrand.com/ and http://www.ravelry.com/. Both have patterns for all experience levels and tutorials. They also have online communities and forums to ask questions and share your work on. The best part is that they are free. I am big on free, LOL!

If you have an specific issues, I would be glad to try and help. Knitting and Crocheting are my "thing".
Thanks so much for posting yes I love to knit and crochet just was at the store yesterday and bought some fabric to sew I sew too. But the knitting is tricky but will get it and thanks for the urls I will check them out..
Old 12-23-2010, 12:00 PM   #5
fiercegrrl
In Memory Of

How Do You Identify?:
fierce femme grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
beautiful, pumpkin, princess, sweet pea, babygirl
Relationship Status:
i don't think it's in the stars for me.

fiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputation

i just recently taught myself both knitting and crochet to decide which one i wanted to proceed with. i ended up going with crochet. projects work up much faster and i found it easier to understand patterns. granted i think there are better patterns out there for knitting but i'm gonna stick with crochet.
i have discovered that nice yarns are much easier and more fun to work with. if you ever want to splurge by yourself some yarn by Malabrigo. it's all wool and so incredibly soft. i didn't know wool could feel like this. and the colors- oh the colors are amazing.
i recommend the stich n bitch books. the woman who has written them has both knitting and crochet books. it's what ive been using as reference and it's filled with pretty good patterns. i bought mine at jo-ann fabrics and used one of their 40% off coupons so it was cheap.
anyways, happy stitching! (and i'm subscribing to the thread!)
Old 12-23-2010, 12:13 PM   #6
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercegrrl View Post
i just recently taught myself both knitting and crochet to decide which one i wanted to proceed with. i ended up going with crochet. projects work up much faster and i found it easier to understand patterns. granted i think there are better patterns out there for knitting but i'm gonna stick with crochet.
i have discovered that nice yarns are much easier and more fun to work with. if you ever want to splurge by yourself some yarn by Malabrigo. it's all wool and so incredibly soft. i didn't know wool could feel like this. and the colors- oh the colors are amazing.
i recommend the stich n bitch books. the woman who has written them has both knitting and crochet books. it's what ive been using as reference and it's filled with pretty good patterns. i bought mine at jo-ann fabrics and used one of their 40% off coupons so it was cheap.
anyways, happy stitching! (and i'm subscribing to the thread!)
Yeah thanks and welcome to the thread I was wondering if there would be any interest here about knitting and crocheting but seems like there is I will check Joann's they are having a big sale went yesterday but didn't buy any yarn but will check out the malabrigo wonder where they sell that in NJ but probably do, we have everything pretty much I think,,, I seem to like crocheting better then knitting it does work up pretty fast and the stich and bitch books will definitely look up too. have a happy holiday..
Old 12-23-2010, 12:17 PM   #7
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Yes to both and my mom taught me when I was expecting my first child and never looked back. I probably have knitted a scarf to the moon in all these years. LOL
Old 12-23-2010, 12:32 PM   #8
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Originally Posted by katsarecool View Post
Yes to both and my mom taught me when I was expecting my first child and never looked back. I probably have knitted a scarf to the moon in all these years. LOL
I haven't got the hang of the knitting yet!! but thanks for the vote of confidence...
Old 12-25-2010, 10:23 AM   #9
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Just bumping this thread with a Merry Christmas folks!!
Old 12-25-2010, 08:45 PM   #10
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

hate knitting but love crocheting.. keeps my hands busy!

been doing tunisian crochet.. love it
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 08:53 PM   #11
fiercegrrl
In Memory Of

How Do You Identify?:
fierce femme grrl
Preferred Pronoun?:
beautiful, pumpkin, princess, sweet pea, babygirl
Relationship Status:
i don't think it's in the stars for me.

fiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputationfiercegrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post

i want to learn tunisian crochet...just haven't found a good source of information to do so. how did you learn it?
Old 12-25-2010, 09:06 PM   #12
LotusFlower

How Do You Identify?:
Femme Geek
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Single

LotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST ReputationLotusFlower Has the BEST Reputation

I need a hobby and have some yarn staring at me.

What is a good easy crochet pattern to start off with?
The Following User Says Thank You to LotusFlower For This Useful Post:
Old 12-25-2010, 09:10 PM   #13
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by LotusFlower View Post
I need a hobby and have some yarn staring at me.

What is a good easy crochet pattern to start off with?
granny square.. you can make a nice blanket out of one big ole granny square

Youtube has tons of videos on this!
Old 12-25-2010, 09:11 PM   #14
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by fiercegrrl View Post
i want to learn tunisian crochet...just haven't found a good source of information to do so. how did you learn it?
Youtube

a wealth of information.. i love it
Old 12-26-2010, 03:13 PM   #15
AlchemyGrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, princess, babygrrl ;)
Relationship Status:
in a budding relationship ;)

AlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST ReputationAlchemyGrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by sassy_girl View Post

I have been. Planning to try my hand at Tunisian crochet. I have pattern all picked out. Do you find it more difficult than regular crochet?

AlchemyGrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AlchemyGrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-26-2010, 09:14 PM   #16
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Quote:
Originally Posted by LadyAlchemy View Post
I have been. Planning to try my hand at Tunisian crochet. I have pattern all picked out. Do you find it more difficult than regular crochet?
nope i feel guilty that its so simple!
Old 12-27-2010, 01:53 PM   #17
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

What is this tunisian crochet is there a you tube on it..will have to check it..
Old 12-27-2010, 03:40 PM   #18
femmennoir

How Do You Identify?:
femme, naturellement
Preferred Pronoun?:
Elle
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,223 Times in 478 Posts
femmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputationfemmennoir Has the BEST Reputation

Michael's in Manhattan and elsewhere is having a big sale on all the yarn!
Elle*
And your heart, as it was then, will be on fire.

Anna Akhmatova "White nights"
femmennoir is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to femmennoir For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2010, 03:43 PM   #19
amiyesiam

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/they
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 10,138 Times in 2,161 Posts
amiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputationamiyesiam Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

have learned to knit
just started my 3rd sweater

I learned using books
and you tube vidoes

search you tube for things like
knit stitch
purl stitch
how to cast on
how to cast off
how to increase
how decrease

I love the speciality yarns
Knitty.com is good for patterns

I know we have specialty yarn shops where they have classes here
maybe there is something like that where you are.

my first projects in knitting came from a book called "the knitters stash"
there was a set of projects that were 8 linen washcloths. I used cotton yarn cause linen is expensive.
there were lots of patterns for these wash cloths (they were basic to complex) Because they were small (8x8 to 10x10 inches) they were not overwhelming
the yarn store that created the patterns for the book is The Yarnery.com

A year from now you will wish that you started today~Karen Lamb
amiyesiam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to amiyesiam For This Useful Post:
Old 12-27-2010, 04:17 PM   #20
lipstixgal

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
coupled

Quote:
Originally Posted by amiyesiam View Post
have learned to knit
just started my 3rd sweater

I learned using books
and you tube vidoes

search you tube for things like
knit stitch
purl stitch
how to cast on
how to cast off
how to increase
how decrease

I love the speciality yarns
Knitty.com is good for patterns

I know we have specialty yarn shops where they have classes here
maybe there is something like that where you are.

my first projects in knitting came from a book called "the knitters stash"
there was a set of projects that were 8 linen washcloths. I used cotton yarn cause linen is expensive.
there were lots of patterns for these wash cloths (they were basic to complex) Because they were small (8x8 to 10x10 inches) they were not overwhelming
the yarn store that created the patterns for the book is The Yarnery.com

The knitting is really tuff I think but will try you tube to see what I can do and increase my practice for it and look into the books!!

Tags
crocheting, hobbies, knitting