Old 07-22-2011, 09:53 PM   #1
Star Anise

How Do You Identify?:
Femme in boots.
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Free range femme.

Star Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST Reputation
Unhappy Being perceived as ditzy, flaky or shallow for being femme

It seems that this will be another soul searching difficult post for me, which has been incited by thoughts and feelings I have experienced over a few different nights, and particularly last night when out at a gay bar in town.

As a quick background, for the most part I identify as femme, and it is something that I feel is “natural” to me and something I have experimented with.

Before I came out “officially” I confess that I had this strange notion that to be a lesbian, I would have to be more butch, and I did experiment with becoming more masculine in both mannerism and clothing style. However it didn’t take me too long to realise that this simply wasn’t who I am, it was an ill fitting costume.
When I go out, I do like to dress up and I tend to sit more in the high femme end…

And lately (I am not sure whether it is happening more, whether I am noticing it more, or whether I am just being more sensitive to it) but I feel like butch women don’t take me seriously, and treat me like an idiot, or dismiss me as being shallow simply for the fact that I am wearing cosmetics, and feminine clothes and (most importantly for me) having fun with my clothes!

I will post more on this topic soon, I am really just feeling utterly depressed and rejected right now.

Old 07-22-2011, 10:11 PM   #2
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Sorry to hear that. Unfortunately, people today still seem to like to make assumptions based on clothing, appearance, identity, gender presentation etc. or assume that certain types of clothing/presentation/identities mean things that they really don't.

It always sucks when you have to experience something like that, but it shouldn't be something for you to feel depressed or rejected about, imo. It's really they're problem, and if they're going to make those kinds of negative connections they're really not worth your time. Might sound like a cliched response, but still rings true, imo.
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:12 PM   #3
bigbutchmistie

How Do You Identify?:
Since You Need A Label. Butch
Relationship Status:
Still Dreaming Of My Happily Ever After

Thanked 5,364 Times in 1,941 Posts
bigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputationbigbutchmistie Has the BEST Reputation

Hello I am sorry you are going through this... But something I think Dr Seuss said one time : Be yourself cause those who mind dont matter and those that matter dont mind

Simply put. Be the you, YOU are comfortable with and people will see that. And that will attract the right people.

If someone or a group isnt accepting of you, that is their loss... I hope this helps. Best of luck to ya
bigbutchmistie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to bigbutchmistie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:24 PM   #4
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default Femme

"And lately (I am not sure whether it is happening more, whether I am noticing it more, or whether I am just being more sensitive to it) but I feel like butch women don’t take me seriously, and treat me like an idiot, or dismiss me as being shallow simply for the fact that I am wearing cosmetics, and feminine clothes and (most importantly for me) having fun with my clothes!"

Star Anise,

As has already been mentioned, its their problem. I want to share with you that I have always enjoyed and been attracted to femmes who wear make up, and have fun dressing in their feminine manner. Part of my attraction to femmes is their love of looking beautiful, and enjoying their feminine qualities. So, those butches that appreciate femmes and their energy will find you.

Enjoy it all, Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:28 PM   #5
atomiczombie

How Do You Identify?:
Femmesensual Transguy
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Him, His
Relationship Status:
Dating

Thanked 3,221 Times in 757 Posts
atomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputationatomiczombie Has the BEST Reputation

The notion that anyone would think someone is ditzy, flaky or shallow because they are femme is really disturbing to me. I don't associate any of those things with femininity, be it queer or straight. Femmes are beautiful, strong, amazing people. Whoever doesn't think so doesn't deserve a second look by you, Ms Star.

Oh, and sorry for posting here I just realized this is the femme zone. Sorry!!

Last edited by atomiczombie; 07-22-2011 at 10:30 PM. Reason: apology
atomiczombie is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 12 Users Say Thank You to atomiczombie For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 10:37 PM   #6
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default femme

"Oh, and sorry for posting here I just realized this is the femme zone. Sorry!!"

Oops! I did the same thing.

Back to Femme thread

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:07 PM   #7
little_ms_sunshyne

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 12,242 Times in 2,540 Posts
little_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputationlittle_ms_sunshyne Has the BEST Reputation

I say Fuck 'em

Sorry, I curse like a sailor and yes I am as femme as they come. There is always someone out there that has some judgement to pass or a stereotype to use. If you let them get to you then they win. They do not define you, you define who you are.

I have met many butches that love girly and extra feminine women. In fact, it drives them nuts

From a femme's perspective, there is nothing sexier than a woman embracing all that feminine beauty. From the curve of her neck to the curve in her waist.

Be you, be confident,thank the lord you have a sense of fashion lol, and that other half that completes you will make their way to you.

Just my two cents, hope it helps!
little_ms_sunshyne is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 20 Users Say Thank You to little_ms_sunshyne For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2011, 11:26 PM   #8
Rockinonahigh

How Do You Identify?:
stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
makes no diffrence,I know who I am.
Relationship Status:
single,maybe looking if the right person comes along.

Thanked 14,937 Times in 3,936 Posts
Rockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST ReputationRockinonahigh Has the BEST Reputation

I agree with what BBM and everyone else has said,be yourself,you cant be but who u r wich is just fine,anyone who says any thing diffrent is just going by what ever standard they want..that dosent ever have to agree or disagree
with who ppl are.
Rockinonahigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 7 Users Say Thank You to Rockinonahigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 12:14 AM   #9
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,610 Times in 3,973 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

and so you have discovered why marilyn monroe indulged in numbing drugs...her beauty came at a cost...no one would take her seriously as an actress and everyone wanted her for her looks but found no value in her substance. She was forced to play out the part of the dumb but beautiful blonde until she became the archetype of said godzilla. She loathed it as well as herself for the very thing that made her an american icon...

my daughter is beautiful and blonde. I raised her strong and yet I find she plays the dumb blonde a few too many times...she believes it now. I hope this is a passing phase. She is 27. It only started recently....

femmes, are held under the wings of beauty and we are expected to play out the soft submissive role...also, a less intelligent role. I speak in vague generalities because I would say MOST if not ALL people of this site would argue strongly that is not the case for them. But none could argue that the stereotype is not out there...it is...and we femmes feel it at different times in our lives...

it isnt always the intent of the Interested Party (be they butch, FtM, etc) to make a femme feel less intelligent, but sometimes in the way they address us or court us or behave toward us, it translates that way....

and yet, sometimes, WE are the ones who interpret it that way when in fact, it was not meant that way at all...that falls to our issues of self worth and where we place ourselves in value...

the older I get (and I am 54 now) the more capable I see myself and the more value I place on my strength of character, personality and ethics, than i do on my beauty. I have also just recently broken free of stereotypes that I thought were me, but really were not. It was as if miles of heavy chains has been lifted off my shoulders and back. I could look back and be sullen about the way I was treated by others when I wore those chains, but those others only responded to me in the way I presented myself. It was not their fault I carried myself under a mask. Even if it was subconsciously worn. But once awareness hit, I could not step another foot until I laid those chains down....

I am not suggesting my experience has anything to do with yours. I am merely stating I had to look at myself before I could really See my Self. We are all modeled after our socialization, which by definition is an UNCONSCIOUS integration of beliefs and values. How can we even begin to identify the issues if its under our conscious noses? LOL....

You are at a point in your life where you are analyzing life in general, let alone yourself. Your answers will become known to you...

until then, hold your head high and know the value of yourself regardless of how others may act around you. If i call someone a chair, it does not make them a chair. If they expect you to be less intelligent, give them an education and prove them wrong...but remember....they are figuring it all out too...be kind unless that doesnt work, then be fierce!
Old 07-23-2011, 02:50 AM   #10
Star Anise

How Do You Identify?:
Femme in boots.
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Free range femme.

Star Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST ReputationStar Anise Has the BEST Reputation

There have been so many wonderful responses here, I do feel inspired again!

And I appreciate responses from all in this thread no matter how you ID.

Thank you all!

~~Anise
Old 07-23-2011, 03:12 AM   #11
Tcountry

How Do You Identify?:
Country Boi
Preferred Pronoun?:
call it as u see it
Relationship Status:
Completely...complete ;)

1 Highscore

Thanked 4,287 Times in 1,181 Posts
Tcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST ReputationTcountry Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by little_ms_sunshyne View Post
I say Fuck 'em

Sorry, I curse like a sailor and yes I am as femme as they come. There is always someone out there that has some judgement to pass or a stereotype to use. If you let them get to you then they win. They do not define you, you define who you are.

I have met many butches that love girly and extra feminine women. In fact, it drives them nuts

From a femme's perspective, there is nothing sexier than a woman embracing all that feminine beauty. From the curve of her neck to the curve in her waist.
Think Sunshyne sums it up here...(side note she really does swear a lot, and wears a pencil skirt that is oh so very tempting to skip whatever event we have planned)
Anyway...back on topic...*head out of clouds*
It is about YOU...how you define yourself, what you feel comfortable in, & how you "work what you have" that matters. The more confident you are just being YOU...the more likely you are to attract someone who is going to appreciate you for who you are.

I dunno how many more times I can say you...so I'll wrap it up & say just be proud & stop analyzing everyone else. Go out, have fun, & be happy in your choices.

*tip hat*
Old 07-23-2011, 06:37 AM   #12
msW8ing

How Do You Identify?:
multi-faceted gem, femme, submissive babygirl if the chemistry is there.
Preferred Pronoun?:
lady
Relationship Status:
working on myself

Thanked 2,498 Times in 655 Posts
msW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST ReputationmsW8ing Has the BEST Reputation

So many times I've sat here and read similiar posts from femmes/butches/tg/dykes however they ID. And it just makes my head spin. We fight to break out of the stereotypes that society has put on us. We fight for equal rights. This makes me proud. To witness and hear about when we have to fight amongst ourselves to break the stereotypes and our rights makes me sick. I am so NOT the "femme norm" as it were. I'm a 5'10" bbw with tattoos( and thanks to my grandfather who wanted me to be self sufficient )I can do car repair, I have refurbished houses, built stone walls. I grew up working farms and ranches. I was the single mother of 2 wonderful kids working 2 and 3 jobs to raise them. I cook/bake and love to clean. I can put Martha Stewart to shame. And Paula Dean aint got nothing on me.lol I love outdoorsy stuff to, camping and fishing (I bait my own hook, clean it and cook it too all with nails and looking good while i do it lol) I can wear jeans and tshirts and still feel femme. I can wear dresses and lace and look as femme as any of them. I can make a butch feel like they are the only butch in the world. I have passion and love with my whole being. What I dress in is how I'm feeling at the moment and what the occasion is. It's taken a few life lessons for me to learn that the clothes do not make the person. I know who I am and thats what matters. When asked to ID myself for those that need it, my usuall reply is, " I'm as hard as I need to be and as soft as I wanna be" You find your self worth from within yourself, do not allow others to dictate to you. Your a beautiful girl inside and out from what I've read on these threads. And you will find the person that is worthy of you. Don't let others insecurities of themselves be brushed off onto yourself through thier actions. Be confident and stay strong and just be the femme you feel inside that you are. Stay true to yourself and the rest will fall into place. Hold your head up high. As one of my major crushes Mae West said, " A woman who knows the ropes, will never be bound". *steps down from soap box* Just my .02 cents.

A lady who knows the ropes..will never be bound. ~Mae West
msW8ing is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 16 Users Say Thank You to msW8ing For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 07:37 AM   #13
The_Lady_Snow
MILLION $$$ PUSSY

How Do You Identify?:
Kinky, Raw, Perverted, Uber Queer Alpha Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Iconic Ms.
Relationship Status:
Keeper of 3, only one has the map to my freckles

Thanked 80,119 Times in 15,678 Posts
The_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST ReputationThe_Lady_Snow Has the BEST Reputation
Arrow Femme Zone Support...

Quote:
Originally Posted by greco View Post
"Oh, and sorry for posting here I just realized this is the femme zone. Sorry!!"

Oops! I did the same thing.

Back to Femme thread

Greco
Thanks for realizing and hoping that the Femme Zone continue to be respected and our space as well.

Anise,

I'm sorry that you are experiencing this... It's never easy when someone tries to super impose their sexism, mysoginy and stereotypes on you due to their lack of evolved thinking. I suggest you not give up your space and call them out on their assumptions of you. Take your power back and gently remind these people you are no ditzy anything... I've learned that no one can take your power or invade your space if you are clear. These people sound jerky please don't give them no mind and I hope you reading, discussing and using your Femme sister network it helps you and recharges your soul. I'm grateful and glad we have so many variations of Femme that will give you good advice, empathize and support you during times like this. I get you, and it's dismissing, don't let them though reach deep down to your Femme soul and do not give their ignorance one more minute of your thoughts.

Good luck

(((( hugs ))))
"If you’re going to play these dirty games of ours, then you might as well indulge completely. It’s all about turning back into an animal and that’s the beauty of it. Place your guilt on the sidewalk and take a blow torch to it (guilt is usually worthless anyway). Be perverted, be filthy, do things that mannered people shouldn’t do. If you’re going to be gross then go for it and don’t wimp out."---Master Aiden

The_Lady_Snow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 15 Users Say Thank You to The_Lady_Snow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 07:53 AM   #14
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation
Default My POV today ......

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Anise View Post
And lately (I am not sure whether it is happening more, whether I am noticing it more, or whether I am just being more sensitive to it) but I feel like butch women don’t take me seriously, and treat me like an idiot, or dismiss me as being shallow simply for the fact that I am wearing cosmetics, and feminine clothes and (most importantly for me) having fun with my clothes!

I will post more on this topic soon, I am really just feeling utterly depressed and rejected right now.
Good Morning Star Anise,

There have been many times I have felt dismissed etc, regardless of the company (audience), since I read as "straight", whatever that is, (but seems to be changing, maybe cause I'm approaching them more often?) Although I think of myself as very feminine, I don't go much into makeup and the clothes thingie much anymore. All those Women Studies classes, and highly visible strong lesbian professors kinda rubbed off on me.

On the rare occasions that I'm in a "gay" bar, I find that peeps don't talk to me, or ask me to dance, but to my way of thinking it's because they don't even know my name let alone how I think. So speaking for myself, I usually read peeps stand-offish-ness as just "uh oh, new person!"

So, now with experience and a dash of Femme "wevos" (don't know correct spelling, my bad) which in my area means "Eggs", (read as ovaries) I just sashay over and introduce myself, don't engage in much eye contact with butches who are sitting with obvious dancing partner, and if asked to sit with them, I am polite, using my best manners and join them.

If the music moves me, I dance by myself. Actually, the most fun I ever had was dancing with a beautiful Femme half my age. (She reminded me of an old girlfriend Pam, who was my BF until I moved out of the area, remember, this was the mid 70's so no technology to keep in touch like today). The lovely young Femme and I both danced with a belly dance style, so was probably erotic to watch that night.

She ended up with a very HOT HOT HOT Butch that evening, who could match all her moves with a passionate Latina counter move, they were so hot on the dance floor we were all hooting and hollering that night. I went home alone, as usual, which is my preference.

Hummmm, must be in story-sharing mood today......

If you are interested, you might want to see if there are belly dancing groups in your area, you would be amazed at the number of Femmes who belong to such groups. It's a great way to boost your self confidence, even if you don't want to perform publicly, just for your Lover. Plus the advantage to this style of dancing is that it keeps you limber and in tune to your heart/soul/spirit etc.

And if you are into "Dress-up" Sugar, start making your own costumes.... mmmm, now THAT'S

Last edited by Sweet Bliss; 07-23-2011 at 07:54 AM. Reason: cause i can
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 11 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2011, 08:52 AM   #15
Ms. Meander

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Femme
Relationship Status:
Ethical Nonmonogamist

Thanked 5,223 Times in 1,150 Posts
Ms. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST ReputationMs. Meander Has the BEST Reputation
Default Wading through granola in High Heels with my Best Femmes

Quote:
Originally Posted by Star Anise View Post
It seems that this will be another soul searching difficult post for me, which has been incited by thoughts and feelings I have experienced over a few different nights, and particularly last night when out at a gay bar in town.

As a quick background, for the most part I identify as femme, and it is something that I feel is “natural” to me and something I have experimented with.

Before I came out “officially” I confess that I had this strange notion that to be a lesbian, I would have to be more butch, and I did experiment with becoming more masculine in both mannerism and clothing style. However it didn’t take me too long to realise that this simply wasn’t who I am, it was an ill fitting costume.
When I go out, I do like to dress up and I tend to sit more in the high femme end…

This is something I have experienced to some degree. I live in an area that is very liberal, has a large LGBT community, and is thick with Hippies. While there is some Butch/Femme community here and some fabulous Femmes (a couple of which are my best fremmes), there are more lesbians who fall someplace in the middle – a little butch of center/a little femme of center. These are the sort I feel most judged by.

I wonder if they look at me in my high-heels, make-up and cleavage and think that just because I spend the time and effort to put myself together such, that I am shallow; that I have nothing better to do; that I have to get attention this way because I have nothing else to offer. Of course, anyone who has a conversation with me quickly learns that I am quite bright, erudite, and emotionally intelligent as well.

The rituals I engage in to enhance my femininity are just that. Rituals. Things I do that make me feel good, empowered, beautiful, sexy. I would be all of those things even if I chose to express myself differently, but this is me now. And the time I spend on myself translates as self-care. There is even a bit of a meditative quality to it all for me. The time I spend applying make-up or doing my own mani/pedi, is me time. It is not shallow or self-centered. If everyone made more time for self-care, we would all be better off and more balanced.

I think many people (whoever they are/however they identify), are intimidated by a beautiful, sexy woman who is also smart and powerful. So they try to put her in a box. They will get over it – or not. Just keep being who you are and don’t ever let anyone make you feel you are less than. Eventually, like-minded people will be drawn in and perhaps a few blockheads will learn a valuable lesson, just by having your example to observe.
My wish for you is that you continue. Continue to be who and how you are, to astonish a mean world with your acts of kindness. Continue to allow humor to lighten the burden of your tender heart. - Maya Angelou
Ms. Meander is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 09:57 AM   #16
TrixieSwizzle

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Whatever you call me, i've probably been called worse.
Relationship Status:
single

TrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST Reputation

Sometimes I believe that we are our own worst enemy! I am not sure that with age comes your own convictions of yourself, that no one can diminish you as a person. Be yourself and let others take note of that fact! I am a great contradiction of terms. I play FABULOUS Fantasy Football but I wear big earrings to the draft, my hair is BLEACHED blonde but I play ditzy when it suits me, I am ME! And Sunshine you are you! If people, butches, whoever, don't appreciate that its their loss!!

I don't ever get the "nod". You know the nod ~ gay girls do it to each other to acknowledge even if they don't know each other they realize they are family. I tried to do it once and my friends were like "Really? You look like you are doing the I Dream of Jeannie nod!" So I don't do it anymore. Oh well, I know what I am and I probably didn't want to "nod" to them anyway!

I don't know you, but you seem articulate, smart, and with a fab sense of style. Stay you!! Let others think when you walk away "Wow, I would have loved to get to know her..."
Old 07-23-2011, 10:07 AM   #17
gaea

How Do You Identify?:
femme

Thanked 14,363 Times in 3,381 Posts
gaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputationgaea Has the BEST Reputation
Default Sensitive....

this is a most sensitive topic.

as a young girl who had a shapely figure with dark hair and dark skin and the prettiest brown eyes i was teased relentlessly so by my biological sisters, i was also smart very smart, i cant remember a time i couldn't read or do math in my head, i cant remember a time when i couldn't remember things, things a 3 year old shouldn't have even known and yet i remembered and this intimidated my mother. i had the "cute" factor and the smart factor and i was emotionally and mentally beat down by the people that should have been my biggest support in life.

by the time i reached junior high i was quiet and reserved and actually feared being hated by others based on my home experience, thus i dumbed down and hid "me" from the world.

i became a mother at 15 and so i invested all i had in my children i didn't have to worry about anything or anyone else because i could teach them and i did.

at 25 i came out and the butch i hooked up with decided for me that i should not wear the feminin clothing i so loved (her own insecurities) nor wear make up nor be who i was, that lasted 8 years too long ....i did not realize i intimidated her as well, i though she accepted me for me, took me awhile however i woke up to all the bs and i bailed took my kids stepped out on my own and have grown stronger over the last decade (geez).

im still told i intimidate hahaha my bosses have told me that as they threaten to fire me for being too "smart" (really???) I crave a job that would allow me to work from home and that my intelligence would be that of one that is appreciated and not feared, i just honestly don't know how to accomplish that. it is frustrating for sure.

i dress feminin and i done my make-up and i feel good about me, i dislike that i have to not show my intelligence at work however i can do that elsewhere in which i often do in which i often get "you intimidate me" wtf? very frustrating.

for me how i see the world, everyone is unique in and of them self they are wonderful even when they cant see it. they are built to be exactly who they are meant to be why pick on anyone? every single person is intelligent and every intelligent being differs than the one sitting next to you.

little_ms_sunshyne said it best when she said fuck em

and this reminds me of what my dad would have said, he would have said to me

"if they cant take a joke fuck 'em"

be who you are always, all ways stay strong and persevere regardless of what others think, because at the end of the day your the one who goes to sleep with you therefore your the "one" that matters most.

Courage: the willingness to risk who you are for who you want to be and what you have for what you want

You're not who your past says you are, you are who you choose to be today moving forward.
gaea is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2011, 05:19 PM   #18
Star Anise

How Do You Identify?:
Femme in boots.
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Free range femme.

Talking

After all these comments reminding me to be true to myself and "fuck 'em" if they can't accept me for who I am (which for the most part I tend to think) I am wondering exactly what got me into such an upset state the other night.

Possibly it is lingering loneliness and the fact that I am still recovering from a recent break up...

If I am really honest with myself, I will admit that I do sort of "lose myself" in relationships, as I shape myself for the other person, allow them define me. Then at some later point freak out because I don't know who I am any more.

This femme style, particularly the style I have when I am single seems the most "natural" to me, I always come back to it regardless of how I experiment. I could speculate that perhaps it is due to the fact that when I was a child, I was my mother's personal life size doll to dress as she saw fit. She set out my "outfits" for me right up to my early teens, and it was just so much easier to let her than to face her disappointment and sulking.

When I was invited to “play dates” I was dressed in a very “girly” dessert-like creation when the other kids wore t-shirts and jeans etc. I couldn’t play the rough games as it might ruin my good clothes so I would sit around like some fragile doll on the shelf.

Some might argue that perhaps this would cause me to rebel, and do the opposite now, dress butch and deny that part of my upbringing.
Or perhaps it is that I want to finally get to play in my “costume” and potentially get it “mussed up.”

I tend to think that everyone has an intentional expression with regards to their clothes, and I think that along with our personalities there are conditioned aspects from a myriad of external sources. Unless one is raised completely isolated, I don’t think anyone can claim to be wholly original and not influenced by any social construct.

In this respect I feel that largely throughout my life I have moved from one “uniform” or "costume" to the other. First it was my mother, then it was my peers who were very trend conscious, I went through the phase of attempting to masculinise myself and don what I thought was the “lesbian” uniform, then when I was exasperated by not fitting this form I chose femme and it was a style that seemed to represent me in deeper emotional ways.

So I guess essentially what I am trying to say is that it is somewhat ironic to be judged for my “uniform/costume” from someone who is also wearing their own self assigned “uniform/costume.”

Lastly

Thank you again for the wonderful responses, I was a bit self-conscious about how whiney the first post sounded, and I was no doubt seeking reassurance, but it was how I was feeling and I am grateful for those kind words.

Old 07-24-2011, 07:13 AM   #19
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

I'm another who believes that if they feel the need to put you down in order to build themselves up, fuck 'em off. The only person I dated who honestly believed that as a femme, I should be submissive, quiet and stupid, turned out to be an abusive con.

She lied to me throughout the relationship and patted herself on the back for being so clever when I trusted her. She assaulted me and convinced herself that my friends would consider her version of the story more credible than mine, they didn't. She was also intimidated by my sexual experience (I've been around ) so used to try to make me feel bad about it. All this had nothing to do with her butch identity or my long hair, and everything to do with the fact that she was an idiot.

Honestly, why waste your life with the worthless when there are really great people out there??
Old 07-24-2011, 02:26 PM   #20
TrixieSwizzle

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
Whatever you call me, i've probably been called worse.
Relationship Status:
single

TrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST ReputationTrixieSwizzle Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Quintease View Post
I'm another who believes that if they feel the need to put you down in order to build themselves up, fuck 'em off. The only person I dated who honestly believed that as a femme, I should be submissive, quiet and stupid, turned out to be an abusive con.

She lied to me throughout the relationship and patted herself on the back for being so clever when I trusted her. She assaulted me and convinced herself that my friends would consider her version of the story more credible than mine, they didn't. She was also intimidated by my sexual experience (I've been around ) so used to try to make me feel bad about it. All this had nothing to do with her butch identity or my long hair, and everything to do with the fact that she was an idiot.

Honestly, why waste your life with the worthless when there are really great people out there??

I think I know that butch!!! lol...do you think she moved to Illinois????