Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > HEALTH: BODY, MIND, SPIRIT > Body Beauty, Lifestyles

Old 11-12-2013, 06:29 PM   #1021
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Thanked 15,382 Times in 2,541 Posts
Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I haven't tried slack lining, didn't even know it was a amateur activity. Sounds like fun though. Both that and the unicycle would be fabulous for balance and core strength.

Since we sometimes miss the mark and end up with minor injuries. I wanted to share something although I'm not sure this is the thread for it. Some of you know I'm pretty far down the rabbit hole on nutrition and physio so sometimes I trip over something of interest. I have for a long time adhered to R.I.C.E as instructed for acute injury but have often wondered about the contradiction with the Asian approach of alway using heat and massage as the first line of defense on injuries. I do lots of the older approach for chronic things but there has been controversy brewing for a couple of years on this whole ice or not thing for immediate response.

I saw this video of a discussion on the debate and thought I would share it. The fellow who is presenting is a PhD physio (PT) even if he doesn't sound like it. The video is 25 minutes long and also gives a simple explanation of the basics of tissue repair and the lymphatic system. There is another follow up conversation that happened one year later which goes more in depth.

I case you were wondering, yes this is what I do for 'fun'.

:sorryforthecrosstalk:
Kelt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 07:04 PM   #1022
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

For those of you interested in a really cool way to work on your core and balance here is a cool little skate bike. My brother invented/patented this and makes them to order. He has a couple other videos on youtube if your interested.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 08:45 PM   #1023
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
For those of you interested in a really cool way to work on your core and balance here is a cool little skate bike. My brother invented/patented this and makes them to order. He has a couple other videos on youtube if your interested.

Kim, so I checked out all the videos and except for one video, for about 3 seconds, they are all from the rear.

Does he have a website?

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-12-2013, 10:18 PM   #1024
o222Good

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Married

o222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputationo222Good Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by PwrFemme View Post
Hi All,

New to this thread but hoping to be encouraged by reading what all of you are experiencing...

I am looking for suggestions of things I can do outside, for the most part...

Anyone have ideas they would like to share?

Thanks!
Hi PwrFemme! Most everything I do I learned by watching YouTube videos. When I want to learn how to do something, I browse through them until I find ones that fit me. Maybe try searching "core exercises without equipment" or "cardio exercises without equipment" I would guess that any exercise you do inside, you can do outside. Good luck to you!

For me, I keep up reading this thread, but don't post so much because I just think my routines could be boring to read! But today I did my arms exercises.
3 sets of 11 reps reverse curl forearms 20lbs
3 sets of 11 reps wide grip ez curl bar 35lbs
3 sets of 11 reps dumbbell lying triceps extensions 30lbs
3 sets of 11 reps close grip ez curl bar 35lbs
3 sets of 11 reps close grip ez curl bar skull crushers 35lbs
3 sets of 11 reps dumbbell incline supinated bicep curl 12lbs
So, I hope that wasn't too boring!

On another note, the weather today made the osteoarthritis in my knees insanely painful. So much so, that I was afraid I would fall down at work. I googled for relief and found that The Arthritis Foundation recommended low impact exercise right before bed will help the next day. Well, I couldn't wait and hopped on the recumbent bike right after work. It really helped. I will go do some more now before bed and see what happens tomorrow!
o222Good is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to o222Good For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 01:15 AM   #1025
batennisboy

How Do You Identify?:
Queer
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
In love with the fuzzy yellow objects of my affection.

batennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputationbatennisboy Has the BEST Reputation

So sore today...feel like I got hit by a truck. Does it have to hurt so bad...good, I mean!
batennisboy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to batennisboy For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 10:15 AM   #1026
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Kelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST ReputationKelt Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Today I'm playing around with an idea. Bear in mind I have never shot any video in my life. I just found out how easy it is on a phone. No muss no fuss for a quick cheap version of 'I don't have a giant mirror'.

Because I don't have anyone around at home, I can't really tell if my form is quite right when I am doing things. When yer gimpy form is all. So, I got a mount to put my phone on a tripod and now am wandering around to my 'stations' and taking little vids of my form.

Seems I'm doing pretty well. I love tech.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 11:10 AM   #1027
PwrFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Married to HeelBilli

1 Highscore

PwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
Kim, so I checked out all the videos and except for one video, for about 3 seconds, they are all from the rear.

Does he have a website?
This is great! Would love to try this. Wonder if it folds for easy transporting in a tiny car?
Old 11-13-2013, 11:22 AM   #1028
PwrFemme

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:
Married to HeelBilli

1 Highscore

PwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST ReputationPwrFemme Has the BEST Reputation
Smile

Thank you everyone for the welcome and the great ideas!! I am looking forward to trying some of your ideas and seeing where it takes me. To a healthier place and not the ER one hopes...LOL :|
Old 11-13-2013, 11:55 AM   #1029
Daktari

The squats experiment is working almost instantly. Having cyclist leg muscles to start with is a huge plus of course, but the 100+ squats I've been doing nearly every night for the last week or so really do appear to be having the desired effect.

Remember roller boots (the quad ones not inline)? Real good exercise there too, not to mention mucho fun. I wants me some.

Today's exercise has mostly been washing down exterior woodwork at the shop. More squats later this evening when I return from spending the rest of my social skills today.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 12:28 PM   #1030
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post
The squats experiment is working almost instantly. Having cyclist leg muscles to start with is a huge plus of course, but the 100+ squats I've been doing nearly every night for the last week or so really do appear to be having the desired effect.

Remember roller boots (the quad ones not inline)? Real good exercise there too, not to mention mucho fun. I wants me some.

Today's exercise has mostly been washing down exterior woodwork at the shop. More squats later this evening when I return from spending the rest of my social skills today.
Are you doing these with bodyweight, or are you adding weight?

Are you doing behind the head or front squats? One leg, two leg?

Inquiring minds and all…
The Following User Says Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 12:44 PM   #1031
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kelt View Post

Inquiring minds and all…
Behind the head?

I've never heard of that in a squat before.

That sounds like something that could lead to a different kind of exercise.

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 12:57 PM   #1032
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

The BAR behind your head *filthy, filthy mind*

Like this:

Or front squat, like this:

The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 12:59 PM   #1033
Gemme
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Queer Stone Femme Girl of the Unicorn Variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, as in 'She's a GEM'

Thanked 108,784 Times in 25,656 Posts
Gemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST ReputationGemme Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
The BAR behind your head *filthy, filthy mind*

Like this:

Or front squat, like this:

That's assuming weight is being lifted.

Technically, those are squat presses.

Who's smart NOW?

I'm misunderestimated.
Gemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Gemme For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 01:10 PM   #1034
Kelt

How Do You Identify?:
Beach Butch

Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gemme View Post
That's assuming weight is being lifted.

Technically, those are squat presses.

Who's smart NOW?

You win on the technical.

That is kind of why I was asking Dak of the uber strong legs what kind of press/squat. I want to learn good form while I'm nekkid!! (no weights) so that as I get better the form will already be in place. I'm just using a piece of PVC plastic pipe right now.

That said, I may just do a hands behind head or on hips in favor of never adding weights at all and instead just upgrading later to one-legged press/squat to spare my back the loading when I'm really just wanting to work legs.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kelt For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 02:19 PM   #1035
Sweet Bliss

How Do You Identify?:
I Am
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

Thanked 7,264 Times in 2,158 Posts
Sweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST ReputationSweet Bliss Has the BEST Reputation

am in heaven
Sweet Bliss is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Sweet Bliss For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 02:55 PM   #1036
RockOn

How Do You Identify?:
sitting over there ----->>>>> :)
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 10,310 Times in 2,609 Posts
RockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST ReputationRockOn Has the BEST Reputation

Walked outside here at work very briskly twice today already for about 20 minutes each time - it is cold, windy and I am loving it. This is my kind of weather!
RockOn is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to RockOn For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 04:10 PM   #1037
Daktari

Quote:

Inquiring minds and all…
In all the gyms I've worked in, way back in the day when I was a real athlete and trainer, weight or no weight, it's a squat.

In my particular case at the moment I'm doing 3 or so sets of 20-25 with just body weight but changing foot position for each set. In the last couple of days I've added some weight...in a rucksack, strapped snugly for a couple of added sets of 20-25. If I still owned an olympic bar I'd use that (it weighed 20kg on it's own) but alas those body-building days are over and I let all the kit go many moons ago.
A simple ole broom handle is a good substitute to get used to working with a bar and front/back positions.

I use both legs, my days as a flamingo are over! Not to mention my knees don't play the game solo...they're a duet at all times.
Good form is keeping a straight spine and not allowing yer knees to go below 90deg.

Arms: Usually behind head, held out front or some such. Might even do some sort of chest flye style arm moves if I feel like it.

In between sets I stretch out m'hams; as a daily cyclist they get real tight.

In between each couple of sets, if I'm feeling inclined to give m'self pain, I'll throw in a 60-90sec plank or two.

I choose to do this because it's something I can do whilst home, watching trashy tv later in the evening. ExMrsD and me used to do 500+ crunches per CSI episode

I'm loving the incremental benefits already. Hopefully there'll be a positive effect when the inevitable next chest infection settles in.

Old 11-13-2013, 04:35 PM   #1038
WingsOnFire

How Do You Identify?:
Queer..femme.. .babygirl...girl
Preferred Pronoun?:
Female Ones...
Relationship Status:
Enjoying life but ready to meet someone

Thanked 12,476 Times in 3,357 Posts
WingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST ReputationWingsOnFire Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I have started walking on my 15 min breaks again and it feels great!! I have also cut back on my soda again as I was beginning to drink more and more of it. Replacing it with cold water is helping cut that craving.

When I feel stressed I drink cold water... that seems to help invigorate me as well. The morning binges of chips and sweets have been replaced with healthier eating... I have lost 4 pounds since Monday but it could have been water lol.

When I get paid again next week I want to get back into Yoga again but for now I need to try to focus on doing it at home.

Previously known as MidnightBlueEyes
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
http://gailsforum.files.wordpress.co...-psd340941.png
WingsOnFire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to WingsOnFire For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 05:48 PM   #1039
DapperButch
Roadster Guy

How Do You Identify?:
FTM, Stone Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He

Thanked 26,896 Times in 5,773 Posts
DapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST ReputationDapperButch Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daktari View Post

I read that roller skating (in a rink specifically I think, for some reason), is THE best exercise of all...when it comes to fat/muscle burning/calories/full body exercise, etc. I saw a recent article. I will look for it.

Are you educated or indoctrinated?
DapperButch is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to DapperButch For This Useful Post:
Old 11-13-2013, 06:02 PM   #1040
Daktari

Quote:
Originally Posted by DapperButch View Post
I read that roller skating (in a rink specifically I think, for some reason), is THE best exercise of all...when it comes to fat/muscle burning/calories/full body exercise, etc. I saw a recent article. I will look for it.
I look forward to the article if you can find it Dapper.

Ms.Sponsorliscious bought herself a fancy pair of quad skates last christmas and I know she's barely used them. Sadly she's rather larger of hoof than I so borrowing them is out.
We have an awesome Promenade here. Several miles of shared pathway by the sea. Can't think of a much better place to get yer skates (bike, unicycle, pedestrian) on. It's all that ozoney fresh air!

Tags
exercise, weights