Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,639 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default a

"After You"
by UK writer Jojo Moyes

while not my usual deep and dark reading, it offers a gentle
albeit a bit painful perspective on loss

on this my second reading of this story, am finding how far
I've come in my own forward movement through loss

passage has become tender.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 07:28 PM   #2842
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,586 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
My sweet darling Santa sent books to me, this week.

I read the novel Girl with the pearl earring, which was a very interesting fictitious account of Griët, the young girl who was lent out as a maid to the family of painter Vermeer....very interesting way the author presents the girl with the pearl earring.

Today, I received two books I have never read....although I did see the movie Fried Green Tomatoes, I've never read the book it's based upon..... Fried Green Tomatoes At The Whistle Stop Cafe! And I do love whistling...

The third book is an recently authored lesbian romance novel, by AJ Adair, published by Desert Palm Press. Title is: Don't Forget (2017). This particular lesbian romance story takes place in the 1980s.... and the author wrote an especially poignant dedication to her partner and wife, before the story gets under way.

So excited to read both books!
WOW Santa is sending out gifts this early? You must be on the very good 'girl' list
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2017, 07:49 PM   #2843
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Monogamously Attached to my boyfriend and future husband.

Thanked 31,991 Times in 9,939 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
WOW Santa is sending out gifts this early? You must be on the very good 'girl' list
I loves Christmas (which can be any day, really), so it's important to me to on my best behavior (as humanly possible) ....

<<<<<~~ Likes it that I'm on Santa's GQQD GIRL list!
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-16-2017, 08:21 PM   #2844
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

SO.......I guess the ONLY way to get on this Santa's list is to behave......I'll be finding coal then again this year in my stocking.......
Old 09-17-2017, 09:56 AM   #2845
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
SO.......I guess the ONLY way to get on this Santa's list is to behave......I'll be finding coal then again this year in my stocking.......
Well that's just not right! I'll be sure to write to Santa soon because YOu deserve the BEST Christmas any butch Boi could dream of..... ...... sometimes being "Bad" is nothing more than a sign of how GQQD you are. Thinks Santa ought to make sure you have the best Christmas E V E R.

<<<<<<~~ and now, back to books!
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 09-17-2017, 10:15 AM   #2846
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

I seen Kobi's post about reading this book and thought it'd appeal to me too.

The End of Loyalty: The Rise and Fall of Good Jobs in America
Wartzman, Rick

I'm enjoying it
Old 09-17-2017, 10:33 AM   #2847
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I seen Kobi's post about reading this book and thought it'd appeal to me too.

The End of Loyalty: The Rise and Fall of Good Jobs in America
Wartzman, Rick

I'm enjoying it
I would like to read that book, too. I have a feeling it would be a good reading companion for an organizational communication, sociology and business course in college (interdisciplinary).
Old 09-28-2017, 01:41 PM   #2848
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by StillettoDoll View Post
The HBO special was outstanding as well
Old 09-29-2017, 03:51 AM   #2849
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
In my spare time, I've been scoring my own music:
reading from other texts of music,
developing my own style,
fine tuning my keys,
pitch,
melodies.
I realize this post was years ago but are you still doing this? It sounds so very interesting I must say.....
Old 09-29-2017, 03:57 AM   #2850
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I have been reading from several authors (Swedish or Danish, by origin) but I guess what I miss reading the most or perhaps even miss in face to face conversations is unvarnished, completely transparent exchange of ideas between people who might agree or tend to disagree; but certainly I miss the verbal or textual exchange in an unvarnished format.

That's not to say I miss ugliness or language that pushes the envelope of incivility. What I mean is that it would be nice to read or participate in an exchange of ideas or dreams or whatever in unvarnished ways.

That's what I miss the most: when reading here or there or anywhere
(conversations included, too).
Wouldn't it be wonderful to join a book-club similar to The Jane Austen Book Club.......
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 06:50 AM   #2851
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:

Quote:
I realize this post was years ago but are you still doing this? It sounds so very interesting I must say.....
Oh, wow, yes -- that was several years ago, homoe! I'm surprised that I even revealed that private aspect about myself here on the boards in our community. I tend to turn inward and tinker with music like this, attempt my own score of music.....and no, I don't do it often, really. I rarely do it. In the past, I've done this when I am processing a particular hurt in my life..... That's amazing to me that you found my post from years ago

Quote:
Wouldn't it be wonderful to join a book-club similar to The Jane Austen Book Club.......
It's like you are in my head, literally! Have I told you or expressed my profound gratitude for telling me about the movie The Jane Austen Book Club??? Homoe?? Is it a book, too?? That is one of many reasons I liked this movie SOOOO much! I liked how all the members of this book club were chosen to participate in the "book club" and how each person seemed inexplicably linked to another member by way of close friendship, except the guy (!) And how each person read particular books authored by Jane Austen and brought their own interpretation of each story to the monthly group get-together....the co-mingling of ideas based on their own interpretation and understanding, born out of their own life experience, was priceless! I can't thank you enough for practically reaching out to me and telling me about books or movies to read or watch! You're such a breath of fresh air and I feel so very lucky to know you! *Thank you, {{{{{homoe}}}}}*
Old 09-29-2017, 11:23 AM   #2852
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Yes Miss Katz......

The Jane Austen Book Club is a 2004 novel by American author Karen Joy Fowler. The story, which takes place near Sacramento, California, centers on a book club consisting of five women and one man who meet once a month to discuss Jane Austen's six novels. It was a critical success and became a national bestseller.

I read it years ago but I can't remember if the movie stays true to the book or not to be very honest.......
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 12:05 PM   #2853
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

As much as I hated doing it, I dusted off my Fire, charged it up and am re-reading Grisham's “The Racketeer” IMHO his FINEST book!

Unlike many of his others, it has no soapbox to stand on and is not out to teach lessons about justice. This book is much more duplicitous than that. In its early stages it does follow the familiar Grisham template, in which a lawyer finds himself unexpectedly in legal trouble. But then it breaks out into the exhilarating tale of how Mal, a disbarred attorney, now a savvy, self-taught legal scholar, leads his pursuers on a long winding chase.

May I suggest this one if you have not read it yet........
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 09-29-2017, 07:13 PM   #2854
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,097 Times in 2,322 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Rereading Jane Shepard's Kickass Plays for Women - there's another theatre project in my future...
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 10-01-2017, 06:53 PM   #2855
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default Nomadland : surviving America in the twenty-first century / Jessica Bruder.

Employers have discovered a new, low-cost labor pool, made up largely of transient older Americans. Finding that social security comes up short, often underwater on mortgages, these invisible casualties of the Great Recession have taken to the road by the tens of thousands in late-model RVs, travel trailers, and vans, forming a growing community of nomads: migrant laborers who call themselves "workampers." Bruder hits the road to get to know her subjects, accompanying them from job to job in the dark underbelly of the American economy, while celebrating their resilience and creativity.

------------------

Fascinating.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 10:30 AM   #2856
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

This sounds like a fantastic book to read, considering we have been living in a 40 foot fifth wheel for the last year. Putting this on my must read list.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post
Employers have discovered a new, low-cost labor pool, made up largely of transient older Americans. Finding that social security comes up short, often underwater on mortgages, these invisible casualties of the Great Recession have taken to the road by the tens of thousands in late-model RVs, travel trailers, and vans, forming a growing community of nomads: migrant laborers who call themselves "workampers." Bruder hits the road to get to know her subjects, accompanying them from job to job in the dark underbelly of the American economy, while celebrating their resilience and creativity.

------------------

Fascinating.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 02:20 PM   #2857
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,659 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by justkim View Post
This sounds like a fantastic book to read, considering we have been living in a 40 foot fifth wheel for the last year. Putting this on my must read list.

It was very good and also very sad. Didn't realize how many elderly people are doing this just to survive.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 10-02-2017, 02:35 PM   #2858
Ascot

How Do You Identify?:
Preppy Butch artist
Relationship Status:
She’s wild about me.

Thanked 2,487 Times in 549 Posts
Ascot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST ReputationAscot Has the BEST Reputation

I'm reading a series of adult short stories by Roald Dahl, he of James and the Giant Peach fame. Some odd stuff to be sure.
Old 10-02-2017, 03:37 PM   #2859
Femmewench

How Do You Identify?:
Casual Femme Saphiosexual
Preferred Pronoun?:
she, her
Relationship Status:
Divorced

Thanked 1,277 Times in 331 Posts
Femmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST ReputationFemmewench Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ascot View Post
I'm reading a series of adult short stories by Roald Dahl, he of James and the Giant Peach fame. Some odd stuff to be sure.
He was married to Patricia Neal for 30 years. I always admired her especially post strokes.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:19 PM   #2860
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

Being smack dab in the middle of people who truly live a nomad lifestyle has definitely opened my eyes. A lot of families are doing it too so that they can "see" America. They've pulled their children out of brick and mortar schools so they can be home-schooled. It also makes it easier for one parent to stay home if you want to look at a financial angle. We also ran into woman and men in the traveling nurse field who love what they do and love that they can travel and it really only costs them fuel and fee for a spot to hook up at. The older people we ran into are semi retired and they also travel to where the work is. A friend of ours retired from OSHA as an inspector who now runs his own business while still enjoying the perks of retirement and travel all rolled into a rolling house. Right now for instance half of the people here in the park were in are line man, who here soon will be heading south for the winter. Another thing, not sure if it is mentioned in the book is that some parks are putting an age limit on the RV's they allow into their park. Anything over ten years old has to pass the how does it look test. Then there are the ones who only do motor coaches and won't even look at tow-able units no matter what their age is. Anyway just some random thoughts from someone living, although it is only for another month in our RV.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

It was very good and also very sad. Didn't realize how many elderly people are doing this just to survive.

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading