Old 12-05-2010, 10:01 PM   #1
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation
Default Who touched your life?

I'm having a serious bout of insomnia...and it makes my mind go in odd directions. I found myself running through a list of people in my head...people who have hurt me. It was bringing on some serious depression and negative feelings. So, consciously, I decided to remember those who have touched my life in a positive way.

Honestly, it's a short list....but it got me thinking about someone truly special. Ironically, I don't even remember her name.

I was 10 years old...growing up in an angry, narcissistic and abusive household. I had never felt important or wanted by anyone. If it had been a different time, I probably would have been removed from my family, but I wasn't. Anyway...

I ended up joining 4-H, because my best friend at school was involved. We lived in a tiny apartment and had no money - so raising animals was a challenge. I joined the Food Preservation Project...because it required nothing to start....and I had plenty of that.

The woman who was our group leader was an angel in my life. She welcomed all of us into her home and her garden every week...teaching us to make jam and jelly and pickles, fruit leather and jerky, even cheese and to bake our own bread (officially not in the program, but she couldn't resist). I don't remember her name, but I remember what her hugs felt like. She was a truly huge woman....and being folded into her arms was a bit like being kneaded into a giant loaf of bread. Sounds odd maybe...but it was the first time in my life I had ever been truly hugged.

She was also the first adult who ever really listened...and who cared about what I felt, what I thought. She didn't have children of her own, and I'm eternally grateful that she found this way to bring children into her life, and that she was so generous with herself, her time, her affection, and the produce of her garden.

Even now, when I'm stressed, depressed, unhappy, insomniac....or when I'm celebrating, or sharing something of myself...I most often find myself in the kitchen baking the things she taught me to make. And yes, I still make a mean jelly...and a fresh mozzarella to die for.

So....who touched your life?
Old 12-05-2010, 10:28 PM   #2
Passionaria

How Do You Identify?:
Urban Bohemian : http://youtu.be/IM96Ch9Gx4A

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,250 Posts
Passionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST ReputationPassionaria Has the BEST Reputation

Great way to reverse the energy Jo. This woman sounds like an angel indeed!

There are two people off the top of my head. My Grandma Lempi, who never said a mean word to me in my life, she adored me and helped raise me. And Josie Fernandez who was my high school sweet heart's Mom. Every time she looked in my eyes, she saw the good in me, and so I felt free to share that with her. She treated me like an Angel and I became one just for her........well, a naughty angel but we were in the midst of a cultural revolution for heavens sake!

Pashi
Old 12-05-2010, 10:29 PM   #3
Turtle

How Do You Identify?:
A mixity
Preferred Pronoun?:
whatever
Relationship Status:
chillin

Thanked 4,531 Times in 1,222 Posts
Turtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST ReputationTurtle Has the BEST Reputation

This is very interesting because I just tracked down and spoke to a teacher from my jr. high school yesterday! He is 92! I have wanted to thank him so many times over the years and I finally found someone who managed to find him.

I wanted to learn to read better, but I didn't officially qualify for a remedial reading class. Mr. Trovato trusted me, even though he didn't know me, to use his classroom and equipment during his prep period. Sometimes he was there and sometimes he wasn't (couldn't do that these days), but I always had access to his room to work. His trust and learning to read better made a big difference in my life.

THANKS MR. TROVATO!!!
Turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Turtle For This Useful Post:
Old 12-06-2010, 09:55 AM   #4
DomnNC
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him
Relationship Status:
Widow

Thanked 2,582 Times in 837 Posts
DomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST ReputationDomnNC Has the BEST Reputation

My late wife is the person who touched my life the most. She taught me what true love was all about. She taught me how wonderful it is to be married. She taught me what a true best friend is all about as well. I shall forever miss that woman. She will never leave my heart.

After her, I would say my parents as they taught me as well what unconditional love is all about. Well, my wife did that as well, but when she passed away I was blown away with just how truely my parents did unconditionally love me and her.

Then I would say my brothers and their respective spouses. My brothers have always been there for me, no matter what. They have defended me, stood up for me, beat the snot crap outta bigots that they found giving me a hard time or attacking me and just been all around wonderful men. Their spouses have accepted me and my wife as just another couple without so much as blinking an eye, have stood by me and dared people to utter a word against me/us with just a look.

Then I would say both my grandmothers. They were awesome women in their time and I loved spending time with them, learning from them.
DomnNC is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to DomnNC For This Useful Post:
Old 12-07-2010, 09:18 AM   #5
JustJo
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
pushy broad
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Follow your heart; it knows things your mind cannot explain.

1 Highscore

Thanked 25,407 Times in 4,661 Posts
JustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST ReputationJustJo Has the BEST Reputation

Thank you to everyone who shared their stories....it makes me wonder if these angels in our lives even realized how deeply they had touched us...
Old 12-07-2010, 09:27 AM   #6
katsarecool

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Woman
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 1,765 Times in 734 Posts
katsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputationkatsarecool Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JustJo View Post
Thank you to everyone who shared their stories....it makes me wonder if these angels in our lives even realized how deeply they had touched us...
Oh no!! Thank you Jo!

My grandfather Eric was my mentor. He spoke his truth quietly and with confidence. He showed me a world my parents were not capable of; who had the time with six kids.

He had a summer house in Gloustire, MA; up on a hill overlooking the bay. He delighted in sharing with us the Blessing of the Fleet, the shipyard down the street where we watched great wooden sailing ships being made, the periwinkles we collected, the colored bottles he collected and loved showing to us.

And in the winter they lived in Lowell, MA where he showed us how to created a very cool snowman. He taught me about art, culture, speaking quietly and with authority of the subject, he was calm, rarely if ever lost his temper or patience with us. When we were together he became a child along with us. He loved playing crocet and shuffleboard. He was an avid flower and vegetable gardener and shared that craft with us as well. And I loved him very much and miss him all the more.
Old 12-08-2010, 12:40 AM   #7
iamkeri1

How Do You Identify?:
femme woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
solo

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,944 Times in 584 Posts
iamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputationiamkeri1 Has the BEST Reputation

I never met the woman who made the biggest difference in my life. I had polio at age three. When I was released from the hospital, the doctors told my parents I would never even be able to sit up in bed.

At that time there was a great deal of infighting in the medical field over polio, which had outbreaks approaching epidemic proportions in the late 1940's and early 1950's. A newer better way of treating the disease had been developed, but was not being implemented universally because it had been developed by someone who was not only a woman, but also was just a lowly nurse. Neither women nor nurses were held in very much esteem bu the medical field in those days. Another negative was that this woman was an Australian, not an American. The woman I honor was Elizabeth Kenny, also known as Sister Kenny. She gave me back my life.

Shortly after my first hospitalization ended, my Dad heard about a different hospital in a town about an hour away from my home where her new method of treatment was being implemented. Within a few days he had arranged for my admission there.

I was carried in to the hospital on a Wednesday. I could not sit, stand or walk. When my parents visted me four days later on Sunday, They found me kneeling up in bed, a task which was supposed to be impossible for me. I spent several months there receiving treatment. I never recovered completely, but the improvement was fantastic. Because of Elizabeth Kenny I was able to walk (with crutches), go to school, marry the love of my life, adopt four children, have a career, and live a wonderful, and fulfilling life.

Thank you Elizabeth Kenny.

Smooches,
Keri
iamkeri1 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 10 Users Say Thank You to iamkeri1 For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 01:28 AM   #8
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

God did...On November 4th in death He took a precious angel from our family (Nannie) and tonight December 7th in the birth of my great niece, He gave us another precious angel.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 12-08-2010, 09:11 AM   #9
Miss Scarlett
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Relationship Status:

Thanked 12,949 Times in 3,419 Posts
Miss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST ReputationMiss Scarlett Has the BEST Reputation

An ex touched my life - she stood by me as I came out to my parents.

A former employer - a former judge and former state legislator, he came out while still on the bench causing a HUGE scandal here. He taught me a lot and encouraged me in my personal and professional lives. I was honoured to work for this man and to this day he remains my favourite employer. He is my mentor and is responsible for me becoming so involved in the LGBT community. I was working for him when the Lawrence v. Texas decision was handed down. That was such an exciting time. He included me in the fight he began here in NC to try to overturn the anti-sodomy laws and during that time taught me to write legislative proposals. Before he could see this through he moved to Washington, DC; sadly no one in NC (as in attorneys) picked up where he left off and the laws remain.
Miss Scarlett is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Miss Scarlett For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 01:42 AM   #10
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,101 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

My nieces and brother.
I met my nieces for the first time a couple days before my dad's funeral (this past spring)...and reunited with my kid brother. I'm so incredibly proud of the wonderful, responsible, family man he has grown up to be. He's really overcome some serious, horrible inherited traits, his terrible, heart-breaking, abusive childhood, and has broken the cycle. His dedication to his family, especially his children, touched my heart and gave me hope.

Before I met my nieces, I had closed my heart for a long time...I didn't want anyone near my heart or in my life (I was long burned out of being responsible for someone else). My beautiful, smart, sassy nieces have stolen my heart and saved my life in more ways than I can describe.

Dad may not have been a father to me and my brother (he certainly was never there for us) which resulted in over 30 years separated from my brother; but in the end, he - and certain other fate related events - reunited us and gave me the opportunity to meet my family for the first time. Even though we are currently separated by many miles, we are finally a family. My nieces are my everything...and the little girls that I always dreamed of having. I never ever thought I would hear "I love you" from a close family member...it touches me deeply every time I end a conversation with my brother and he always says "I Love You Sis".

It melts my heart to feel the unconditional love and acceptance that my nieces and brother have for me; and I for them. And to hear their laughter and see hope in their eyes. Things that have filled a long empty spot in me.

If fate had not put me where I was last spring, I would have never met them. And in turn, they would have never saved my life.

I hope they know how special they are?
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 12-09-2010, 02:26 AM   #11
T D

How Do You Identify?:
Person of the trans variety
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, Sir, Bro, TD, Stevin
Relationship Status:
On occasion

Thanked 1,123 Times in 310 Posts
T D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST ReputationT D Has the BEST Reputation

When I was 20 years old I had a boss who occasionally made mistakes and took full responsibility for them. Not only did he do this, but he would also ask for help from he rest of us in resolving the problem. I worked in what was then called "Data Processing". It was the early 70's, and information entered into the computer was punched into cards that were then run through a card reader to create a computer file for processing. It's hard to believe that this was almost 40 years ago.

At any rate, what I learned from this man is that it's ok to make mistakes. It's ok to admit our mistakes and take responsibility for them, and it's ok to ask for help in order to get them straightened out. To this day I still think about him when I'm in certain areas, such as last weekend when I drove through the town I worked in at the time on my way to somewhere else.

“Don’t ask what the world needs. Ask what makes you come alive, and go do it.
Because what the world needs is people who have come alive.”
T D is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 6 Users Say Thank You to T D For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2010, 07:50 PM   #12
Blade
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
TG
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
once in a while someone amazing comes along...and here I am!

Thanked 14,400 Times in 4,049 Posts
Blade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST ReputationBlade Has the BEST Reputation

I've had many people touch my life each in their own way. Some in big ways and some in smaller ways that have turned out, in my adult life to have been bigger than I would ever imagine.

One person who touched my life was my Papaw. He had an 8th grade education but lived an exemplary life. A life of helping others, giving his time and tithes to charity and teaching by example in the way he lived his life.

He had the patience of Job, and I never in 40 yrs heard him raise his voice and Mom says she never remembers hearing him raise his voice either. He was a WW2 veteran and when his crew was flown out, he was called back and missed the flight. The plane went down and everyone on board was killed. He thought his life was spared for a reason. He believed the reason was to serve God and be a good husband and father. That was until he became a Papaw.

Papaw wasn't an affectionate type, he'd give ya a little hug. He would say come sit on Papaw's lap and lets do this or that. This or that might have been practice telling time or counting money or just watching TV. He could fix about anything and spent many hours in the basement with me nailing nails in boards and taking me to the pond fishing. He took me to the circus every year as I was growing up and he was hysterical to watch wrestling with.

The bottom line is he touched my life initially by spending time with me, a bunch of time. As I became an adult he still mentored me and gave advice, but as I got older I realized how he had touched my life by the way he took care of Nannie. Unlike many of the men in my family and of his generation he did dishes and clothes and grocery shopping and everything else, even helped her make supper and wash dishes. So how he really touched my life as a whole was threw respect and appreciation for the people he encountered but especially for the women in his life. He taught me to respect and appreciate the women in my life.

The best way to predict the future, is to create it.
Blade is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Blade For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 08:41 PM   #13
Kenna

How Do You Identify?:
Fiery, Sassy, Tough As Nails, Femme Tomboy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
I am your favorite hello and hardest goodbye.

Thanked 12,101 Times in 3,757 Posts
Kenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST ReputationKenna Has the BEST Reputation

My gentle elderly neighbor who recently passed away from a horrible cancer. He was an amazing gardener (could make anything THRIVE), friend, story teller, gentle hearted soul, and he had a presence that can never be replaced. I will dearly miss seeing him, in his white farmer's hat/flanel shirt/jeans and dirty boots, walk up my lane just to "spend some time talking to his friends".

My best friend has touched my life by sticking by me in recent months of healthcare struggles.

CW and his wife.

Mrs and Mr Morton. All 4 are such good hearted, loving, kind, gentle souls. And both couples are examples that true love, trust and soul mates do exist.

A tiny little girl who was born way too early at 2 pounds...with her fighting spirit and beautiful, bright personality, has made it to 16 months and is finally walking on her own now. She is precious beyond words.
Kenna is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kenna For This Useful Post:
Old 01-29-2017, 11:32 PM   #14
Teddybear

How Do You Identify?:
by my name
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 6,239 Times in 1,687 Posts
Teddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST ReputationTeddybear Has the BEST Reputation

Most ppl know how Mary touched my life. Still after almost 30 years since her death she still touches parts of my life.

Then there is "Austin" she has shown me so much. Her friendship, honesty and just her down right determination. He willingness to be honest with me no matter what.

I had always thought I wasn't worth having what everyone else had. She showed me that every thing bad that had happened wasn't my fault and that I deserved and would get it.

I have had others touch my life in all kinds of ways good and bad. I am now only going to concentrate on the good and letting the bad just be forgotten
Old 02-06-2017, 12:51 PM   #15
Chad
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
OFOS Stone butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Loved Caregiver

Thanked 20,325 Times in 5,678 Posts
Chad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST ReputationChad Has the BEST Reputation
Default Touched my life.

My best friend Phill (he spelled it that way). We were best friends for decades until we lost him about seven years ago.He was a loving happy hippie and it seemed like everyone he met loved him.

I believe that I am a better person because of Phill. He taught me so many things that I did not know. He taught me that it is okay to be a kind, mushy, and loving human.

It is hard to find someone that turns into a bestfriend I am not sure that it will happen again in this life time.

I will always be grateful for my bestfriend Phill.

Chad is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Chad For This Useful Post: