Tuff Stuff

How Do You Identify?:
Butch Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,318 Times in 506 Posts
Tuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST ReputationTuff Stuff Has the BEST Reputation

Anything by David Paulides. Also checking out his stuff on YouTube.
I have been very interested about missing people lately ever since a woman that I knew disappeared without a trace a few months back. She had been walking a route she normally took every other evening,this time with a friends dog.She never made it home this time.There was a huge search for her and lots of media attention.The dog came back home a couple days later. The case went cold after a few weeks and now everyone that knew her calls it a tragic mystery because the missing woman was friendly and did lots of charity work in the community and who would want to hurt such a person.Sad when I think about her because I knew her for ten years.No body, no clues, she just vanished off the face of the earth.It disturbs me greatly what happen to her.
Tuff Stuff is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2018, 08:09 PM   #3102
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default Sharp Objects....

because the mini series starts Sunday and most times the book gives more detailed information than the television production! Even tho this book ended up on the New York Times best sellers list, I'm not sure if I'm going to enjoy it or not..time will tell!

Reporter Camille Preaker returns to her hometown to cover the murders of two preteen girls; Camille finds herself identifying with the young victims while trying to solve a psychological puzzle from her past.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-13-2018, 07:37 PM   #3103
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

The Hundred-Year House by Rebecca Makkai

The novel begins in 1999 and moves backwards through the history of Laurelfield, a large stately home belonging to the Devohrs. The house has morphed over the years from family residence to a beloved art colony and back again. The first and longest section of the novel deals with Laurelfield's most contemporary permutation.

I am about half way in and I'm enjoying this book immensely............
Old 07-13-2018, 08:08 PM   #3104
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

The Happiness Curve: Why Life Gets Better After 50

By Jonathan Rauch

https://g.co/kgs/v9F91r

Interesting, but still too early to give it a thorough review.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 11:23 AM   #3105
cinnamongrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
cleverly disguised as a responsible adult*
Preferred Pronoun?:
wild woman
Relationship Status:
No, thank you.

Location: in my heart I'm going to Carolina...but I'm in MA for now
Thanked 27,371 Times in 6,858 Posts
cinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputationcinnamongrrl Has the BEST Reputation

I started.reading Hiking Through by Paul Stutzman

It's about a man's travels on the Appalachian Trail and his reasons for making the journey.

He's a little preachy and God-dy but I think the story is worth the side bars.
Old 07-18-2018, 08:23 PM   #3106
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,927 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Mamen Sánchez, author of NYT's bestseller Under The Tuscan Sun, recently had her book The Altogether Unexpected Disappearance Of Atticus Craftsman, translated from Spanish to English, two years ago.

I loved the first book I read, so I picked up TAUDOAC @ Powell's today, for my next summer beach read.

Here's an link to an review of her latest book:

https://www.kirkusreviews.com/book-r...ce-of-atticus/
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 05:19 PM   #3107
Reach *BANNED*
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Scammer.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Moratorium

Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,018 Posts
Reach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST Reputation

Title: Lust & Wonder

Author: Augusten Burroughs

https://www.nytimes.com/2016/04/03/b...burroughs.html

A great memoir by one of my favorite authors. If you like memoirs, this is a wonderful read.
Reach *BANNED* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reach *BANNED* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-19-2018, 06:47 PM   #3108
kittygrrl
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
je ne sais quoi
Preferred Pronoun?:
baby grrl
Relationship Status:
raining cats & dogs

Thanked 21,362 Times in 6,714 Posts
kittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputationkittygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

i'm about to begin "The Immortal Life of Henrietta Lacks"

by Rebecca Skloot
Old 07-20-2018, 04:50 AM   #3109
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

With eyes:
THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST, a coming-of-age teen novel by Emily M. Danforth published in 2012. The novel's protagonist is Cameron Post, a 12-year-old Montana girl who is discovering her own homosexuality. After her parents die in a car crash, she is sent to live with her conservative aunt. She develops a relationship with her best friend and is sent to a conversion camp.

According to author Emily Danforth, the novel was influenced by the 2005 Zach Stark controversy, where teenager Zach Stark was sent to a de-gaying camp run by Love In Action after coming out to his parents.
With ears:
WEAPONS OF MATH DESTRUCTION is a 2016 American book about the societal impact of algorithms, written by Cathy O'Neil. It explores the how some big data algorithms are increasingly used in ways that reinforces preexisting inequality. It was longlisted for the 2016 National Book Award for Nonfiction.
Old 07-20-2018, 12:38 PM   #3110
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,927 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post
With eyes:
THE MISEDUCATION OF CAMERON POST, a coming-of-age teen novel by Emily M. Danforth published in 2012. The novel's protagonist is Cameron Post, a 12-year-old Montana girl who is discovering her own homosexuality. After her parents die in a car crash, she is sent to live with her conservative aunt. She develops a relationship with her best friend and is sent to a conversion camp.

According to author Emily Danforth, the novel was influenced by the 2005 Zach Stark controversy, where teenager Zach Stark was sent to a de-gaying camp run by Love In Action after coming out to his parents.
With ears:
WEAPONS OF MATH DESTRUCTION is a 2016 American book about the societal impact of algorithms, written by Cathy O'Neil. It explores the how some big data algorithms are increasingly used in ways that reinforces preexisting inequality. It was longlisted for the 2016 National Book Award for Nonfiction.
Oh mY, the Weapons of Math Destruction (2016) looks like an interesting read, d_c. I'm not surprised though, that the book was Long Listed. We can't have people learning about how inequality is perpetuated via technology (Sarcasm).

I bet the other book is enlightening too. I'd certainly be interested in your take concerning both books.

Cheers,
~K.
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2018, 07:36 AM   #3111
jools66

How Do You Identify?:
lesbian
Relationship Status:
Married

jools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputationjools66 Has the BEST Reputation
Default FABULOUS FINN

The 7 year old police dog, from the Bedfordshire, Cambridgeshire and Hertfordshire dog unit, was stabbed with a 30cm (12in) hunting knife in the head and chest and underwent four hours of emergency surgery to save his life.
Here is his story and his owners story too, and how it it has changed the law in England.
Please note, you will need tissues for this book.
A must read for any dog lover
jools66 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to jools66 For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 07:55 AM   #3112
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Tell It To The Bees by Fiona Shaw

I finally got my hands on a copy of this!

A secret love which has a whole town talking... and a 10 year old boy very worried.
Lydia Weekes is distraught at the break-up of her marriage. When her young son, Charlie, makes friends with the local doctor, Jean Markham, her life is turned upside down. Charlie tells his secrets to no one but the bees!

I'm about a 100 pages in and it's not moving as fast as I hoped it would.

Sidebar: Tell It to the Bees is an upcoming British drama film as well directed by Annabel Jankel. The screenplay, written by Henrietta Ashworth and Jessica Ashworth, is based on the 2009 novel of the same name. It stars Anna Paquin and Holliday Grainger.
Old 07-22-2018, 08:51 AM   #3113
girl_dee
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
dee
Relationship Status:
Hitched up

Thanked 54,972 Times in 13,922 Posts
girl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputationgirl_dee Has the BEST Reputation

*The Cases that Haunt Us* by John Douglas - ( Who wrote Mindhunter, the book that generated the Mindhunter series)

Its so good!
girl_dee is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to girl_dee For This Useful Post:
Old 07-22-2018, 11:25 AM   #3114
Reach *BANNED*
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Scammer.
Preferred Pronoun?:
Hy
Relationship Status:
Moratorium

Thanked 3,275 Times in 1,018 Posts
Reach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST ReputationReach *BANNED* Has the BEST Reputation

Title: Healing Teas- A Practical Guide To The Medicinal Teas of the World- From Chamomile to Garlic, From Essiac to Kombucha

Author: Marie Nadine Antol

I am teaching myself all about tea. From the history, to the types and different ways to prepare it. Along with planting it and harvesting as well. Not only for healing purposes but for the pure enjoyment of tea.

Title:
Mama Tried- Traditional Italian Cooking for the Screwed, Crude, Vegan & Tattooed

Author: Cecilia Granata

This book is basically any Italian dish you can think of converted into a vegan dish. I am not Vegan. However, I am all about eating better. So, I thought I would give it a look and see if there is anything I would try.
Reach *BANNED* is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Reach *BANNED* For This Useful Post:
Old 07-23-2018, 01:04 AM   #3115
Esme nha Maire

How Do You Identify?:
Tomboyish eccentric antique femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 2,091 Times in 541 Posts
Esme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST ReputationEsme nha Maire Has the BEST Reputation

Ignition! by John D. Clark

If you ever thought that the hard part of rocketry was the mathematics required to calculate trajectories (it really isn't!), then reading this wry, interesting and amusing book (originally published in 1972 and long out of print until recently) should disabuse you of the notion fairly quickly. Clark gives a fun and very readable history of the development of rocket fuels in his book, and an insight into the personalties involved.

Describing a substance that is highly toxic, highly corrosive, unstable and with such a godawful smell that it could still be detected on-site decades after it was test-fired as having the virtue that it was a reliable quick hypergolic (burns on contact with its oxidiser) may give you some idea of just how insane (as well as highly intelligent!) the early rocket fuel engineers and chemists were.

Reccomended for anyone that likes reading about science in general, and rocketry-related things in particular. A classic!

I'll never look at bran-flakes and alcohol the same way again...

Last edited by Esme nha Maire; 07-23-2018 at 01:07 AM.
Esme nha Maire is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Esme nha Maire For This Useful Post:
Old 07-24-2018, 09:02 AM   #3116
socialjustice_fsu

How Do You Identify?:
Feminine
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
It’s all good.

Location: The gulf waters are sapphire blue and the beach sand is white as snow.
Thanked 2,158 Times in 439 Posts
socialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputationsocialjustice_fsu Has the BEST Reputation
Default What am I reading...

Anam Cara: A Book of Celtic Wisdom. Author: John O’Donohue
A review by Deepak Chopra covers this book well. This is a rare synthesis of philosophy, poetry, and spirituality. This work will have a powerful and life-transforming experience for those who read it.

Anam Cara = soul friend
Old 07-24-2018, 10:52 AM   #3117
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Oh mY, the Weapons of Math Destruction (2016) looks like an interesting read, d_c. I'm not surprised though, that the book was Long Listed. We can't have people learning about how inequality is perpetuated via technology (Sarcasm).

I bet the other book is enlightening too. I'd certainly be interested in your take concerning both books.

Cheers,
~K.
Weapons of Math Destruction was highly informative and went fast. The most immediately shocking thing i learned is how often your zip code stands in for your race, health, criminality, or creditworthiness.

Companies will substitute your zip code anywhere it is illegal to use race, health, criminality, or creditworthiness and use it drive decisions about jobs, housing, insurance, or finance-- essentially assuming that your history and habits will be the same as the average of all of your neighbors.

The Miseducation of Cameron Post made a good start at lifting the curtain on the make-you-straight camps but i think it could have hit harder. It was written for YA though.
Old 07-24-2018, 12:22 PM   #3118
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:

With eyes:
Homegoing is the debut historical fiction novel by Yaa Gyasi, published in 2016. Each chapter in the novel follows a different descendant of an Asante woman named Maame, starting with her two daughters, separated by circumstance: Effia marries James Collins, the British governor in charge of Cape Coast Castle, while her half-sister Esi is held captive in the dungeons below. Subsequent chapters follow their children and following generations.
With Ears:
Reconstructing the Gospel: Finding Freedom from Slaveholder Religion. Jonathan Wilson-Hartgrove grew up in the Bible Belt in the American South as a faithful church-going Christian. But he gradually came to realize that the gospel his Christianity proclaimed was not good news for everybody. The same Christianity that sang "Amazing Grace" also perpetuated racial injustice and white supremacy in the name of Jesus. His Christianity, he discovered, was the religion of the slaveholder. Just as Reconstruction after the Civil War worked to repair a desperately broken society, our compromised Christianity requires a spiritual reconstruction that undoes the injustices of the past.
Old 07-26-2018, 06:17 PM   #3119
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

You can bet your bottom dollar I'm NOT reading The Briefing....
Old 07-26-2018, 06:39 PM   #3120
Tommi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Usually "Hello"
Relationship Status:
Married and Bound to Tommi's kaijira (Ts_kaijira )

1 Highscore

Location: Suthun.... California that is. Across the ridge from Laguna Beach.
Thanked 21,338 Times in 5,968 Posts
Tommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST ReputationTommi Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default Outlander

An Echo in the Bone
by Diana Gabaldon

7th, final book in the Outlander series.
Tommi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Tommi For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading