Notices

Old 04-29-2011, 10:23 PM   #121
Mtn

How Do You Identify?:
Stone butch, daddy type
Relationship Status:
sylvie calls me her studmuffin

Thanked 3,834 Times in 617 Posts
Mtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST ReputationMtn Has the BEST Reputation

Thinking that Anderson Cooper's memoirs may be titled....When I Was Forced To Trade My Flak Jacket For A Morning Coat.....enjoyed seeing the recap
Old 04-29-2011, 10:55 PM   #122
Corkey
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Human
Preferred Pronoun?:
He
Relationship Status:
Very Married

Thanked 29,299 Times in 6,640 Posts
Corkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST ReputationCorkey Has the BEST Reputation

We petered out at 7 am et. Made it through the I'do's and went to bed. I did however DVR the rest of it for another day.
Cheers!
"Many proposals have been made to us to adopt your laws, your religion, your manners and your customs. We would be better pleased with beholding the good effects of these doctrines in your own practices, than with hearing you talk about them".
~Old Tassel, Chief of the Tsalagi (Cherokee)
Corkey is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Corkey For This Useful Post:
Old 04-29-2011, 10:59 PM   #123
WILDCAT

How Do You Identify?:
Very PROUD BUTCH LESBIAN!

WILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST ReputationWILDCAT Has the BEST Reputation
Default Maybe...

... I am too hard on my Mother. After all, she DID say "if you have nothing nice to say, say NOTHING AT ALL".

However... then, she told me "straight up" she was homophobic!? (Recently here, folks.)

---

Point HERE, I guess ?, IS... there are so many things to be SUPER CONCERNED about , and then there is this JUDGING. Opinions are "cool". But, can ANYONE be happy with something outside of theirselves - for a change? I really would WISH for that.

Sometimes I wonder(?)
Old 04-30-2011, 01:08 PM   #124
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by June View Post
Some people are saying Pippa shouldn't have worn white, but I thought it was really striking given that the flowers were white and the bridesmaids were too. I thought her dress complimented the brides really well. If she had worn purple or something, it would have been distracting with all that red, Williams uniform, the carpet, etc.

The hats were pretty much my favorite thing, from gorgeous to downright ridiculous!

I agree and yanno, she most certainly did not make that decision herself. There was a lot of protocol to follow and I’m sure Pippa did not have much say in what color her dress was going to be. It wouldn’t surprise me at all that that the bride’s mother was given a list of “appropriate” colors to wear.

The bride, her sister and their mother are beautiful in a very natural way to me. Dad and brother are attractive, too. They all looked anxious and stressed to me. Probably told more than once about cameras being on your face at all times!!

Pippa was great with the child attendants- they are never easy, just little kids with expectations around them to be "good." That was a pretty long ceremony for little kids to get through. One of the little girls was falling asleep in the carriage on the way back to the palace.

One thing that bothered me with the CNN coverage I watched was some misinformation about who started the Middleton's successful business- it was Carol Middleton, the Mom, not Dad. She utilized the net as a woman with growing children and ended up with a multi-million dollar business. Dad did join in as it grew, but he was not the founder. Probably smart to keep his job until they knew they could support themselves with the party supply business.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 01:24 PM   #125
AtLast
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Woman
Preferred Pronoun?:
HER - SHE
Relationship Status:
Relating

Thanked 10,829 Times in 3,199 Posts
AtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST ReputationAtLast Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

Quote:
Originally Posted by WILDCAT View Post

Point HERE, I guess ?, IS... there are so many things to be SUPER CONCERNED about , and then there is this JUDGING. Opinions are "cool". But, can ANYONE be happy with something outside of theirselves - for a change? I really would WISH for that.

Sometimes I wonder(?)
Me, too! What is wrong with a little good will toward others? Enjoying something for just the sake of enjoying something. And on the political side of this, I find it strange that there is negative opinions thrown out about a country with a monarch. Two major countries in the world under a monarchy (Britian & Canada) have had socialized medicine for years! Seems to me that their choices to take care of their people is better than in the US. Guess it is a "glass house" thang.
AtLast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to AtLast For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 02:48 PM   #126
EnderD_503

How Do You Identify?:
Queer, trans guy, butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Male pronouns
Relationship Status:
Relationship

Thanked 3,907 Times in 1,032 Posts
EnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST ReputationEnderD_503 Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Pippa was great with the child attendants- they are never easy, just little kids with expectations around them to be "good." That was a pretty long ceremony for little kids to get through. One of the little girls was falling asleep in the carriage on the way back to the palace.
Hehe, tbh I wouldn't be surprised if those kids, being minor royals, had more experience in front of cameras than Pippa did

Quote:
Originally Posted by AtLastHome View Post
Me, too! What is wrong with a little good will toward others? Enjoying something for just the sake of enjoying something. And on the political side of this, I find it strange that there is negative opinions thrown out about a country with a monarch. Two major countries in the world under a monarchy (Britian & Canada) have had socialized medicine for years! Seems to me that their choices to take care of their people is better than in the US. Guess it is a "glass house" thang.
Same with New Zealand, Australia, the Netherlands (Queen Beatrix), Sweden (King Carl XVI), Denmark (Queen Margrethe II) and Norway (King Harald V) among others. The more liberal/socially conscious nature of these nations has more to do with their being parliamentary democracies, though it's interesting to look at how the parliamentary system evolved within these constitutional monarchies. In general, I think the parliamentary system is more democratic than the constitutional republic/presidential system of the US, which may be why the US does not compare well to the above nations when it comes to health care, education and public services.

Anyways, personally I am not opposed to constitutional monarchies or this wedding. I'm fairly indifferent and just wanted to watch it since I wasn't alive for the last one, lol. And as a history buff I think it's cool to see certain traditions being kept alive (more the military pomp, I suppose). The British royal family has little do with Britain's foreign affairs these days, or even national affairs. On a day to day basis they are insignificant in the life of the average person, but when it comes to large events like this wedding, the Commonwealth Games or something similar I think for many people the monarchy is more a symbol of unity and shared/similar values than anything else.

In many respects this wedding had the same effects as a large festival: attracted large numbers of people from around the world and thus contributing to local wealth by means of toursim. Yes, a lot of money was spent, but a lot of money was also brought in as a result. Whether they would have spent the money elsewhere or on the wedding makes little difference anyways, since they already contribute a great deal of money to charities and foreign aid. I guess I think there are more significant things to complain about than a wedding. If you didn't want to watch it or thought it silly then all you had to do was not watch... *shrug* Why not just let those who wanted to enjoy it, enjoy it?
EnderD_503 is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to EnderD_503 For This Useful Post:
Old 04-30-2011, 03:43 PM   #127
Luv

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:

Thanked 1,216 Times in 366 Posts
Luv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST ReputationLuv Has the BEST Reputation

I really enjoyed seeing the wedding and I loved that they borrowed Charles car to drive to the reception.

They both looked wonderful !

hey whats with the funky hats in England ? That was a show in itself !!

I wish them a long and happy life !
Luv is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Luv For This Useful Post:
Old 05-01-2011, 05:01 AM   #128
Quintease

How Do You Identify?:
Rainbow femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
princess
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 1,816 Times in 417 Posts
Quintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST ReputationQuintease Has the BEST Reputation

Yes it was beautiful, it was a bit of a salve to the 300 who died in Alabama or the thousands who died in Japan.

The mini buses and the hats made me laugh, the dress made me Oo and Aahh..

My heart went out to how nervous she seemed at the wedding and how genuinely happy they seemed after.

The whole day was beautiful..

.. but Pippa

Wow..
Old 05-01-2011, 06:53 AM   #129
Daktari

It was a fantastic opportunity for the ConDemNation Government to slip a pretty major piece of political news past the nation. Oh Mr.Cameron, you're going make even deeper swingeing cuts to the health service than you promised in your election pledges? Oh that's ok there's a Royal Wedding to stop us all worrying about it.

I believe the wedding should have been much more low key considering how many folks are losing jobs and more children than ever living in poverty.

Just a Brit speaking my mind...