ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Thanked 3,220 Times in 753 Posts
ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation
Default Gender Neutral Kindergarten in Sweden

I came across this article and thought it was fantastic that Sweden is liberal enough to allow this school to exist, and that the children are free to exist in a non-gendered environment. Just curious what you all think about this.

Quote:
At the "Egalia" preschool, staff avoid using words like "him" or "her" and address the 33 kids as "friends" rather than girls and boys.

From the color and placement of toys to the choice of books, every detail has been carefully planned to make sure the children don't fall into gender stereotypes.

"Society expects girls to be girlie, nice and pretty and boys to be manly, rough and outgoing," says Jenny Johnsson, a 31-year-old teacher. "Egalia gives them a fantastic opportunity to be whoever they want to be."

The taxpayer-funded preschool which opened last year in the liberal Sodermalm district of Stockholm for kids aged 1 to 6 is among the most radical examples of Sweden's efforts to engineer equality between the sexes from childhood onward.

Breaking down gender roles is a core mission in the national curriculum for preschools, underpinned by the theory that even in highly egalitarian-minded Sweden, society gives boys an unfair edge.

To even things out, many preschools have hired "gender pedagogues" to help staff identify language and behavior that risk reinforcing stereotypes.

Some parents worry things have gone too far. An obsession with obliterating gender roles, they say, could make the children confused and ill-prepared to face the world outside kindergarten.
Full article text here:

http://www.nydailynews.com/lifestyle...rls_equal.html
Old 06-28-2011, 09:07 AM   #2
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

I have to agree (somewhat) with the last sentence. While the concept itself is quite lovely, in order for a gender neutral theme to remain consistent it needs to be actively engaged in a child's life for longer than 9 months to a year of kindergarten. If gender classifications were nullified for say grades K-3 the impact could have a much grander and long-lasting effect. I love it, none the less!
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 09:36 AM   #3
amnesia.bfp

How Do You Identify?:
not sure
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess
Relationship Status:
Guess

amnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputationamnesia.bfp Has the BEST Reputation

Where do I live?

I can't remember.

Who am I?
amnesia.bfp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2011, 10:21 AM   #4
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

ScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST ReputationScandalAndy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by amnesia.bfp View Post
Where do I live?

I can't remember.

Who am I?
Thanks, that's ten seconds of my life I will never get back.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:24 AM   #5
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:
Single - gave up the farce

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
I came across this article and thought it was fantastic that Sweden is liberal enough to allow this school to exist, and that the children are free to exist in a non-gendered environment. Just curious what you all think about this.
This is goofy.

The Swedes are confusing sex with gender. (A common mistake these days.)

This is erasure, not correction. There is nothing wrong with the terms "her" or "him". The problem resides in gender constructs.

Words can be manufactured, manipulated, misapplied and misappropriated, but bias resides in the heart not on the tongue.
Chazz is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 10:30 AM   #6
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

Nixing traditional gender roles, as applicable to small children, is what they are getting at. At least that is how I read it. The language is being adapted to read as "friends" rather than "him/her, etc" so as to accommodate the small people. The theoretical concept of creating a gender neutral space for children to experience life is fascinating to me. The logistics would be a bit tricky, but it looks like they are doing a great job!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 10:32 AM   #7
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chazz View Post
This is goofy.

The Swedes are confusing sex with gender. (A common mistake these days.)

This is erasure, not correction. There is nothing wrong with the terms "her" or "him". The problem resides in gender constructs.

Words can be manufactured, manipulated, misapplied and misappropriated, but bias resides in the heart not on the tongue.

I'm not sure I completely understand what you're saying, so before I disagree with you I wonder if you would be so kind as to clarify that for me a bit? My interpretation was that they were eschewing traditional gender roles by placing toys associated with those roles with each other (among other things, such as gender neutral pronouns and suggesting non-traditional family structures during playtime) so as not to reinforce the separation of behaviors.
Old 06-28-2011, 10:35 AM   #8
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

"Words can be manufactured, manipulated, misapplied and misappropriated, but bias resides in the heart not on the tongue."

Beautiful statement, truly...but try to keep in mind that at this age children are not biased. Biases come a bit later in life after (as you stated) language has been misappropriated and gendered.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 11:16 AM   #9
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Chazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST ReputationChazz Has the BEST Reputation

Well, there are differing schools of thought as to "gender roles, as applicable to small children" and adults.

Some argue that gender roles are innate regardless of sex; others that they are largely conditioned. This is largely a political debate as science has not, yet, spoken definitively on the matter. (The Swedes seem to be leaning towards the "conditioned" side of the debate.)

In any event, I'm discussing grammar, not politics.

I'll stick with non-erasure and changing gender constructs over wordplay, albeit, even on a part time basis.

Sex = male and female
Gender = masculine and feminine
Male = he, him
Female = she, her
(RE: The World Health Organization)
The Following User Says Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 11:23 AM   #10
ScandalAndy

How Do You Identify?:
human femme spitfire
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
it's official!

Quote:
Well, there are differing schools of thought as to "gender roles, as applicable to small children" and adults.

Some argue that gender roles are innate regardless of sex; others that they are largely conditioned. This is largely a political debate as science has not, yet, spoken definitively on the matter. (The Swedes seem to be leaning towards the "conditioned" side of the debate.)

In any event, I'm discussing grammar, not politics.

I'll stick with non-erasure and changing gender constructs over wordplay, albeit, even on a part time basis.

Sex = male and female
Gender = masculine and feminine
Male = he, him
Female = she, her
(RE: The World Health Organization)

Okay, so wouldn't toy placement and encouragement of alternative family structures be considered changing gender constructs? If we're looking at masculine and feminine in terms of behaviors, that is.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:33 AM   #11
JAGG
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
JAGG
Relationship Status:
=)

1 Highscore

Thanked 17,545 Times in 4,142 Posts
JAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST ReputationJAGG Has the BEST Reputation
Default unsure

I think by the time they start school they are between ages 4-6. What they have experienced at home is already ingrained. Not to mention the fact they return home daily. I like the idea of not pressuring a child into a gender role so to speak. It gives them more freedom to choose what they truely prefer. But I don't think it will have too much of an impact. I'd be interested to see the outcome. Just my humble opinion.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:42 AM   #12
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
"Words can be manufactured, manipulated, misapplied and misappropriated, but bias resides in the heart not on the tongue."

Beautiful statement, truly...but try to keep in mind that at this age children are not biased. Biases come a bit later in life after (as you stated) language has been misappropriated and gendered.
Sure kids are "biased" at a young age - as young as 3-5 years old.

My EX's 4 year old called me, "Mr. Chazz", from day one.

Although the following excerpt is about race, not gender constructs, it makes the case for how children are, in fact, biased at a very young age.

Children Are Not Colorblind: How Young Children Learn Race

"Toddlers as young as two years use racial categories to reason about people’s behaviors (Hirschfeld, 2008), and numerous studies show that three-to five-year-olds not only categorize people by race, but express bias based on race (Aboud, 2008; Hirschfeld, 2008; Katz, 2003; Patterson & Bigler, 2006). In a yearlong study, Van Ausdale & Feagin (2001) found that three- to five-year-olds in a racially and ethnically diverse day care center used racial categories to identify themselves and others, to include or exclude children from activities, and to negotiate power in their own social/play networks."(Erin N. Winkler, Ph.D. - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)

http://www4.uwm.edu/letsci/africolog...colorblind.pdf
Old 06-28-2011, 11:46 AM   #13
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Sure kids are "biased" at a young age - as young as 3-5 years old.

My EX's 4 year old called me, "Mr. Chazz", from day one.

Although the following excerpt is about race, not gender constructs, it makes the case for how children are, in fact, biased at a very young age.

Children Are Not Colorblind: How Young Children Learn Race

"Toddlers as young as two years use racial categories to reason about people’s behaviors (Hirschfeld, 2008), and numerous studies show that three-to five-year-olds not only categorize people by race, but express bias based on race (Aboud, 2008; Hirschfeld, 2008; Katz, 2003; Patterson & Bigler, 2006). In a yearlong study, Van Ausdale & Feagin (2001) found that three- to five-year-olds in a racially and ethnically diverse day care center used racial categories to identify themselves and others, to include or exclude children from activities, and to negotiate power in their own social/play networks."(Erin N. Winkler, Ph.D. - University of Wisconsin-Milwaukee)

http://www4.uwm.edu/letsci/africolog...colorblind.pdf
Correct you are. I was getting pre-school and kindergarten confused in my wee brain.
Old 06-28-2011, 11:51 AM   #14
LaneyDoll

How Do You Identify?:
Girly girl femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She; Ma'am; Miss ;)
Relationship Status:
Pitbull protected.

Thanked 7,689 Times in 1,610 Posts
LaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST ReputationLaneyDoll Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
I think by the time they start school they are between ages 4-6. What they have experienced at home is already ingrained. Not to mention the fact they return home daily. I like the idea of not pressuring a child into a gender role so to speak. It gives them more freedom to choose what they truely prefer. But I don't think it will have too much of an impact. I'd be interested to see the outcome. Just my humble opinion.
I agree 100% with you, especially the part I underlined. Behavior is learned at home, with the first people who teach it. Whether it is intentionally taught or taught from neglect, it is learned and the early ages are the times when the mind is most able to saturate information.

Now, one thing that I am hopeful about-if parents are sending their children to this school, then surely, they are teaching the proper values at home to support the lessons learned at the school.

I would have gladly sent my children to this school had an option like this been available during those years in their lives-or in my area for that matter. I think they all would have fit in wonderfully. But there again, they were taught, at home, to accept and embrace the differences of others.

Old 06-28-2011, 11:59 AM   #15
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by ScandalAndy View Post
Okay, so wouldn't toy placement and encouragement of alternative family structures be considered changing gender constructs? If we're looking at masculine and feminine in terms of behaviors, that is.
Nope.

Moving toys around a room from one set of hands to another isn't change - it's a reconfiguration of the same constructs. The constructs have to change.

If by "alternative family structures" you mean, LGBTQs "making" a nuclear family, no to that, too.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:03 PM   #16
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Novelafemme View Post
Correct you are. I was getting pre-school and kindergarten confused in my wee brain.
Novelafemme, it never occurred to me to think of you as "wee brained".
The Following User Says Thank You to Chazz For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 12:08 PM   #17
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Originally Posted by LaneyDoll View Post
I agree 100% with you, especially the part I underlined. Behavior is learned at home, with the first people who teach it. Whether it is intentionally taught or taught from neglect, it is learned and the early ages are the times when the mind is most able to saturate information.

Now, one thing that I am hopeful about-if parents are sending their children to this school, then surely, they are teaching the proper values at home to support the lessons learned at the school.

I would have gladly sent my children to this school had an option like this been available during those years in their lives-or in my area for that matter. I think they all would have fit in wonderfully. But there again, they were taught, at home, to accept and embrace the differences of others.

Sweden is extremely progressive. This is the country that allows a massive amount of time for post-partum mothers to remain home from work with their newborns...fathers as well. I believe in some sectors it is as much as 16 months. The gender equity is extremely balanced and fair. Children are valued and parenting (especially during the formative years) is regarded as a blessing - even to the extent of spanking being prohibited by the law. Social democracy prevails and children not only have rights but are advocated for by a highly regarded child welfare system. Nonviolence is practiced both inside the home and in society at large and is modeled by fathers who participate actively in parenting and typically don't model aggressive values. Compared to how individualistic and selfish Americans can be, Sweds demonstrate how working together benefits not only the individual but the populous as a whole...from the children up.
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 06-28-2011, 12:12 PM   #18
Chazz

How Do You Identify?:
cisBUTCH
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey
Relationship Status:

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAGG View Post
Not to mention the playground, TV, and video games.
Old 06-28-2011, 12:13 PM   #19
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Nope.

Moving toys around a room from one set of hands to another isn't change - it's a reconfiguration of the same constructs. The constructs have to change.

If by "alternative family structures" you mean, LGBTQs "making" a nuclear family, no to that, too.
This gave me a chuckle. In one of my spring classes the professor used the term "social construct" SO much that when it came time for me to give my oral presentation and she asked everyone to gather in a circle around me, I told her I felt the placement of the chairs was a social construct. hehehehe
Old 06-28-2011, 12:14 PM   #20
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Quote:
Not to mention the playground, TV, and video games.
What if you removed the TV and video games...
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post: