daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation
Smile Whatcha Reading?

Us bibliophiles want to know: what are you reading, plan to read, or didn't enjoy reading?

Here's a place to gab about literature (all kinds), share reading lists, and reviews.

Looking forward to your posts!

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:22 AM   #2
Apocalipstic
Pink Confection

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, Ma'am
Relationship Status:
Dating Myself

Thanked 11,384 Times in 2,840 Posts
Apocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST ReputationApocalipstic Has the BEST Reputation

I just finished Profiles in Folly, History's Worst Decisions and Why They Went Wrong by Alan Axelrod

I love history, so I enjoyed it. A light look at a bunch of big messes.

I am off to the library this weekend to find something new.
Old 12-04-2009, 11:26 AM   #3
violaine
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
atypical
Preferred Pronoun?:
plague words and phrases
Relationship Status:
love wise guys of the avian world

Thanked 3,294 Times in 1,301 Posts
violaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputationviolaine Has the BEST Reputation
Smile thank you ;)

how did i get here - chapter 1

".. i'm sure i was sociable. days were nearly always spent kicking balls, exploring the woods, digging in soil, and sometimes eating it, roaming the hills and in each other's houses..." - keith

i am reading asperger syndrome- a love story, written by sarah hendricks and keith newton. the couple explain who they are as individuals, chronicle their meeting and first ill-fated relationship, followed by a painful but vital period of separation and learning to the final destination of a new, different, more satisfactory relationship together. personal accounts - embracing [humourously a lot of the time] neurodiversity!

i'm also still reading jayber crow, a novel by wendell berry. [his work with farm alliance is amazing, by the way]. this book is poetic, philosophical, and the community members/town is imagined- richly so!

i hope you are doing well, daisy - whatcha readin' ?

belle
ox

violaine is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to violaine For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:34 AM   #4
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

Currently I am reading:

Alchemical Psychology, Old recipes for living in a new world by Thom Cavalli;

The Fisher king and the Handless Maiden; understanding The wounded feeling Function in the Masculine and Feminine in Psychology; by Robert Johnson

And I am currently researching Nyx, The Goddess Night. I am preparing to tell a story to my drumming circle. We are honoring the darkness and I thought what a great way to share what the darkness has 'birthed' for us through mythology. She is an amalgamation of other creation myths so old that the only places she is still present is in the oldest of the old written myths.

Flying my geek colors....

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:41 AM   #5
Selenay

How Do You Identify?:
A soul for a compass and a heart for a pair of wings.
Preferred Pronoun?:
All I ask of living is to have no chains on me.
Relationship Status:
All I own are the strides I spend to the finish line.

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,450 Times in 370 Posts
Selenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST ReputationSelenay Has the BEST Reputation

Aloud
Voices From the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Excerpt:

IN RESPONSE TO A BROTHER’S QUESTION ABOUT WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN HIS BEST FRIEND BEATS UP A WOMAN

. . . and push out the violence be unafraid to be a man who confronts men
about women be unafraid to be a man
who confronts men
big mean ass nasty men
be unafraid to be a man
who confronts
himself.

-Asha Bandele
Selenay is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Selenay For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:50 AM   #6
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Selenay View Post
Aloud
Voices From the Nuyorican Poets Cafe

Excerpt:

IN RESPONSE TO A BROTHER’S QUESTION ABOUT WHAT HE SHOULD DO WHEN HIS BEST FRIEND BEATS UP A WOMAN

. . . and push out the violence be unafraid to be a man who confronts men
about women be unafraid to be a man
who confronts men
big mean ass nasty men
be unafraid to be a man
who confronts
himself.

-Asha Bandele
That sounds like a really powerful collection, Selly!

--Leslie Feinberg
Old 12-04-2009, 11:51 AM   #7
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Let's see.. I have a few books on the go:

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:57 AM   #8
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

Stitch 'n Bitch Crochet: The Happy Hooker (planning on learning this so I can make some gifts next year rather than buy -- including, perhaps, a his and hers Fisherman's Sweaters)

A New Earth: Awakening to Your Life's Purpose (a lot of it seems interestingly and odd Buddhist)

Blown for Good: Behind the Iron Curtain of Scientology (interesting book by one of the former Sea Org members about what Scientology was really like and how he escaped it after a lifetime in it --- over 15 years IIRC).

Windows 7: The Definitive Guide (gotta get brushed up on that because it's related to a course I teach)
I gotta say that I love the title for that first book!

The book from the former Scientology member sounds intriguing. I've heard Kate Bornstein () talk about her experiences in the group--but those are really the only first-hand accounts that I've encountered.

--Leslie Feinberg
Old 12-17-2009, 12:21 AM   #9
Linus
The Planet's Technical Bubba

How Do You Identify?:
FTM
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/Him/Geek
Relationship Status:
Married to my forever!

Thanked 10,743 Times in 3,176 Posts
Linus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST ReputationLinus Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Linus View Post

I'm still working on the other books but recently finished Blown for Good. Very interesting look into Scientology. I'm not sure how accurate it is but I have this unnerving feeling that it's fairly accurate. And if so, the main organization is a more of a concentration camp -- the image really isn't that far-fetched. For an organization (it's not really a religion in the more common sense) that is about positive thought, it's filled with so much negativity and demeaning behaviour it's unreal how long it's continued without being closed down by the government.

I'd still call it a cult given the behaviour of closing individuals off from families. I went to the site that the author created and checked out a few links. It was interesting that they called it a "cousin of Buddhism". If it is, I'd consider it a distant cousin a few times removed. No Buddhist school of thought I know of tells you to stop associating with others nor tells you that non-believers are "suppressives".

Anyways, if you find it, I'd recommend it as a quick and intense read.

I've started reading Brian Greene's The Elegant Universe so I can be somewhat up-to-speed for the FreeThinkers' thread.

"We become Human Doings instead of Human Beings." -- Ram Dass
Linus is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Linus For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2009, 11:49 AM   #10
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

Quote:
Originally Posted by apocalipstic View Post
I just finished Profiles in Folly, History's Worst Decisions and Why They Went Wrong by Alan Axelrod

I love history, so I enjoyed it. A light look at a bunch of big messes.

I am off to the library this weekend to find something new.
That sounds like a really cool history-related book that I could 'get into'!

I love libraries--just wandering down the aisles is fun for me

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post

".. i'm sure i was sociable. days were nearly always spent kicking balls, exploring the woods, digging in soil, and sometimes eating it, roaming the hills and in each other's houses..." - keith

i am reading asperger syndrome- a love story, written by sarah hendricks and keith newton. the couple explain who they are as individuals, chronicle their meeting and first ill-fated relationship, followed by a painful but vital period of separation and learning to the final destination of a new, different, more satisfactory relationship together. personal accounts - embracing [humourously a lot of the time] neurodiversity!

i'm also still reading jayber crow, a novel by wendell berry. [his work with farm alliance is amazing, by the way]. this book is poetic, philosophical, and the community members/town is imagined- richly so!

belle
ox

The love story sounds really interesting to me--I'm gonna have to put that on my reading list!

Hugs to you, Ms. Belle! I'm reading...well...pieces of my dissertation for editing at the moment--but I can't wait until I have leisure time to read for fun!

Quote:
Originally Posted by foxyshaman View Post
Currently I am reading:

Alchemical Psychology, Old recipes for living in a new world by Thom Cavalli;

The Fisher king and the Handless Maiden; understanding The wounded feeling Function in the Masculine and Feminine in Psychology; by Robert Johnson

And I am currently researching Nyx, The Goddess Night. I am preparing to tell a story to my drumming circle. We are honoring the darkness and I thought what a great way to share what the darkness has 'birthed' for us through mythology. She is an amalgamation of other creation myths so old that the only places she is still present is in the oldest of the old written myths.

Flying my geek colors....
I love love love mythology--your drumming circle is sure to be inspiring!

Geek colors--cool beans! We should have T-shirts--and our own flag!

Thanks everyone, for sharing your love for books

--Leslie Feinberg
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 12:19 PM   #11
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Viola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST Reputation
Default I hope I'm doing this right (respond to message)

I can relate so well with asperger syndrome...

Quote:
Originally Posted by violaine View Post

belle
ox

Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Viola For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 12:26 PM   #12
Viola
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
AKA - Una (troll)

Viola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST ReputationViola Has the BEST Reputation
Default Sound of a miracle a child's triumpth over autism

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sue View Post
I can relate so well with asperger syndrome...
I read this book and apply this book to my life - learning how to tune out sounds...
Viola is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Viola For This Useful Post:
Old 03-27-2012, 01:09 PM   #13
Leigh
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, Her, etc
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 13,026 Times in 4,786 Posts
Leigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST ReputationLeigh Has the BEST Reputation

The Hunger Games
Leigh is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Leigh For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2015, 07:57 PM   #14
bright_arrow
☆ the stars are aligned ☆

How Do You Identify?:
strong, independent, badass redhead
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl, buttercup, sugah
Relationship Status:
married to my Boo Daddy <3

Thanked 9,359 Times in 2,295 Posts
bright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputationbright_arrow Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums

I finished 'In Your Dreams' last night.

Started The Druid Series: Vol 1-3 by Marata Eros but it's so sexual that it's awkward for me to read. Not sure how I acquired it.. likely a .99 Amazon deal.. But I will wallow my way through it.

Then to finish The Bird Eater, and then find some more books.
bright_arrow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to bright_arrow For This Useful Post:
Old 07-14-2015, 09:29 PM   #15
The JD
Be the Fearless Bunny

How Do You Identify?:
Hers.
Preferred Pronoun?:
he
Relationship Status:
Medusa’s Snake Charmer

2 Highscores

Thanked 2,686 Times in 540 Posts
The JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST ReputationThe JD Has the BEST Reputation

Rereading Sleepwalk with Me and Other Painfully True Stories by Mike Birbiglia.

I figure if I can't sleep, I might as well laugh about it.
Old 07-15-2015, 04:42 PM   #16
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished the first page of Harper Lee's Go Set A Watchman
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 8 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 06:27 AM   #17
BBMD

How Do You Identify?:
Sexiest man alive...forget Johnny Depp!
Preferred Pronoun?:
He-man Master of the Universe!!

BBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST ReputationBBMD Has the BEST Reputation
Default Hmm

The back of the shampoo bottle...

BBMD is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to BBMD For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 06:46 AM   #18
always2late

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
m'lady

Thanked 6,231 Times in 1,462 Posts
always2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputationalways2late Has the BEST Reputation

"South of Broad" by Pat Conroy

Out beyond ideas of wrongdoing and rightdoing there is a field. I'll meet you there ~ Rumi
always2late is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to always2late For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 07:35 AM   #19
Softly

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Softly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST ReputationSoftly Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by canmarielan View Post
I'm reading the final book of house of night series.

Sort of immature...silly...fun to read though.

http://www.houseofnightseries.com/
I like sorta immature and silly
How are they?

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBMD View Post
The back of the shampoo bottle...

LOL

I just finished The Giver for the 235534345th time. I first read this book in 6th grade and I adore it so bad.

I think I am going to try to read The Stand again...but Stephen King kind of bores me sometimes.

Softly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Softly For This Useful Post:
Old 01-06-2010, 08:18 AM   #20
Semantics

How Do You Identify?:
malapropist
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 4,024 Times in 1,209 Posts
Semantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST ReputationSemantics Has the BEST Reputation

Ethan Frome by Edith Wharton- I had this one read aloud to me in the few days following New Years. It's a little disturbing but so well written.

I just finished John Irving's A Prayer for Owen Meany. It was one of those books that I had to read with a pen and paper beside me so that I could copy down quotes and page numbers that I want to revisit.

Last night I started Alter of Eden by James Rollins. I've loved all of his books even though they're the kind of books I usually hate. There's something about the way he writes and his plots and characters that I really like.
Semantics is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Semantics For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading