Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > LIFE > Hobbies, Crafts, Interests

Hobbies, Crafts, Interests Do you like to knit? Throw pottery? Go fishing? Camping? Have Pets? Make jewelry? Tell us about it here!

Old 01-21-2013, 06:15 PM   #41
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 5,551 Times in 1,456 Posts
Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

More bad new, horses being beaten and abused in a facility in the UK. Investigation underway. Please share news with friends in the UK.

Hamburger was found to have horse meat it in so investigation began.

Warning: Graphic Footage

Undercover Investigation Reveals Horses being beaten with Iron Bars.

“Lovers don't finally meet somewhere. They're in each other all along.”
― Rumi

Sun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2013, 06:54 PM   #42
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun View Post
More bad new, horses being beaten and abused in a facility in the UK. Investigation underway. Please share news with friends in the UK.

Hamburger was found to have horse meat it in so investigation began.

Warning: Graphic Footage

Undercover Investigation Reveals Horses being beaten with Iron Bars.
That is more than disturbing and disgusting!!! They claim that this is an isolated incident, I call BULLSHIT! Animals do not look like that after a one time incident, that is long term abuse, that they are accepting money for it. This is not on just the slaughter house, but also the chain of businesses that follow after would have seen the evidence as well, and let it slide. Unacceptable.
Old 01-21-2013, 06:59 PM   #43
Penelope

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
In Love♥

Penelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST ReputationPenelope Has the BEST Reputation
Default Homemade Dog Treats

I don't make my own dog food but I have made my own dog treats recently. They have few ingredients, making them a healthier alternative to store-bought. Here are a couple of the recipes I found/used:

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Treats
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 large eggs
2/3 cup pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
3 tblsps peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix on medium with paddle attachment for about a minute. I mixed it by hand and it turned out fine. Dough will form little dough balls. If you pinch a piece and it crumbles, add a little water. If it's sticky, just add a little flour. Gather the dough together and form a ball. Place on lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/4" thickness. Use a knife to cut squares or strips or a cookie cutter for shapes. Form scraps in to a new ball and roll out again until you've used up all the dough.

Place the cookies on a baking sheet; they can be close together as they won't really expand. Bake 15-20 min. for softer treats or 30 min. for harder treats. Depending on the size of the pieces, could make up to 100 treats if they are about 1" but my cookie cutters weren't that small. They can go in the freezer for up to 6 months and I would recommend storing them that way as there aren't any preservatives to give them much of a "shelf life". Pull a few out of the freezer about 20 min. in advance when you want to give them to your dog.

Basic Dog Biscuits
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (reg. flour or oats can be substituted)
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. beef or chicken bouillon granules, or beef/chicken broth/stock
1/2 cup hot water
Optional Add-ins: bacon, eggs, liver powder, wheat germ, shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Dissolve bouillon in hot water. Add remaining ingredients. Knead dough until it forms a ball (approx. 3 minutes). Roll dough until 1/2" thick. Cut into slices or use cookie cutter. Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet (I think I omitted this step and it was ok). Cook for 30 min.
Old 01-21-2013, 07:41 PM   #44
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Sun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST ReputationSun Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Breathless View Post
That is more than disturbing and disgusting!!! They claim that this is an isolated incident, I call BULLSHIT! Animals do not look like that after a one time incident, that is long term abuse, that they are accepting money for it. This is not on just the slaughter house, but also the chain of businesses that follow after would have seen the evidence as well, and let it slide. Unacceptable.
I am going to follow this story and follow up with the locals to make sure that this company is shut down. So far it looks like they are coming down hard on them with those guys being jailed. I am concerned about how the horses are being treated long term also. When I have info I will post it here ok. I am sorry that this is so upsetting I want to share the truth and its so hard because it is so awful.

― Rumi

Old 01-21-2013, 07:42 PM   #45
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Penelope View Post
I don't make my own dog food but I have made my own dog treats recently. They have few ingredients, making them a healthier alternative to store-bought. Here are a couple of the recipes I found/used:

Pumpkin Peanut Butter Treats
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour
2 large eggs
2/3 cup pumpkin puree, canned or fresh
3 tblsps peanut butter

Preheat oven to 350F. Place all ingredients in mixing bowl and mix on medium with paddle attachment for about a minute. I mixed it by hand and it turned out fine. Dough will form little dough balls. If you pinch a piece and it crumbles, add a little water. If it's sticky, just add a little flour. Gather the dough together and form a ball. Place on lightly floured surface and roll out to about 1/4" thickness. Use a knife to cut squares or strips or a cookie cutter for shapes. Form scraps in to a new ball and roll out again until you've used up all the dough.

Place the cookies on a baking sheet; they can be close together as they won't really expand. Bake 15-20 min. for softer treats or 30 min. for harder treats. Depending on the size of the pieces, could make up to 100 treats if they are about 1" but my cookie cutters weren't that small. They can go in the freezer for up to 6 months and I would recommend storing them that way as there aren't any preservatives to give them much of a "shelf life". Pull a few out of the freezer about 20 min. in advance when you want to give them to your dog.

Basic Dog Biscuits
2 1/2 cups whole wheat flour (reg. flour or oats can be substituted)
1 egg
1 tsp. salt
1 tsp. beef or chicken bouillon granules, or beef/chicken broth/stock
1/2 cup hot water
Optional Add-ins: bacon, eggs, liver powder, wheat germ, shredded cheese

Preheat oven to 350F. Dissolve bouillon in hot water. Add remaining ingredients. Knead dough until it forms a ball (approx. 3 minutes). Roll dough until 1/2" thick. Cut into slices or use cookie cutter. Place dough pieces on lightly greased cookie sheet (I think I omitted this step and it was ok). Cook for 30 min.
Thank you so much Penelope. What a great idea.

― Rumi

Old 01-21-2013, 10:14 PM   #46
starryeyes

How Do You Identify?:
a round peg in a square hole
Preferred Pronoun?:
Guess...
Relationship Status:
Seat taken

Thanked 10,057 Times in 2,078 Posts
starryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputationstarryeyes Has the BEST Reputation

http://weareteamlondon.org/

London is a pit bull who had his legs deliberately broken, on several occasions, and so severely that he had to have this legs amputated. The abusers originally said he had "fallen" from a 3 story window, but after investigation, they found out he was severely abused.

He was taken in by Panda Paws, which is one of the most amazing rescues I have ever seen, specializing in special needs and medically fragile animals.

Tomorrow, the abusers are going to court facing felony charges. London will be at the trial both days. Please keep this baby in your thoughts!!!

Starry
starryeyes is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to starryeyes For This Useful Post:
Old 01-22-2013, 04:10 PM   #47
Breathless
Brat Extraordinaire

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Happy

3 Highscores
Tournaments Won: 23

Thanked 4,101 Times in 958 Posts
Breathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST ReputationBreathless Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
I am going to follow this story and follow up with the locals to make sure that this company is shut down. So far it looks like they are coming down hard on them with those guys being jailed. I am concerned about how the horses are being treated long term also. When I have info I will post it here ok. I am sorry that this is so upsetting I want to share the truth and its so hard because it is so awful.
I appreciate that Sun. Closing our eyes to what is happening doesn't make it not happen, it just makes US part of the problem.
Old 01-22-2013, 04:32 PM   #48
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

our local animal rescue is offering spay and neuters for $25 to lower income folks! We qualified because I am on SSDI, so what would have cost me $300 for the newf, now is only $25! They estimate they are going to do about 400 cats and dogs thru this special program! THINK of all the puppies and kittens that wont be born! Hurray!
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 01-31-2013, 08:42 PM   #49
Parker
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Butch. Lesbian. Dyke. Woman. Female.
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, of course!
Relationship Status:
Content

Thanked 11,730 Times in 2,432 Posts
Parker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST ReputationParker Has the BEST Reputation

Saw this article and thought I'd share .... what a jackass this guy is.

‘Gay’ dog saved from euthanization

A male American bulldog was saved from euthanization on Thursday after the dog’s original owner turned him over to animal control because he said he was gay.

The owner apparently took the dog to Jackson Rabies Control Animal Shelter in Tennessee after he saw him mounting another dog, according to this post on Facebook.

A Facebook user posted a photo of the dog on Facebook on Wednesday and it received over 4,200 shares in less than 24 hours.
“This guy was signed over to RC, not bc he’s mean or bc he tears things up, but because… His owner says he’s gay! He hunched another male dog so his owner threw him away bc he refuses to have a “gay” dog! Even if that weren’t the most asinine thing I’ve ever heard, its still discrimination! Don’t let this gorgeous dog die bc his owner is ignorant of normal dog behavior! He’s in kennel 10L and he WILL be put down tomorrow bc there is no room at the inn!”
A woman named Stephanie Fryns, who is connected to the no-kill shelter Woof Connections, posted on Facebook her plans to adopt the dog on Thursday.

Earlier this morning she posted: “I managed to get here before the ac officers even.. lol.”

Parker is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Parker For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 01:23 PM   #50
diamondrose

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 2,895 Times in 923 Posts
diamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputationdiamondrose Has the BEST Reputation

I always adopt my pets from shelters. I'v been blessed with a few of the best pets over the years. In more recent years, I adopted two elderly chihuahuas. My friends thought me crazy, but I didn't care. If they only had a few months left I wanted to fill their months with happiness and love. Thankfully, I was blessed with a few years with them. My boy chi passed in Jan 2009 and later my girl chi passed on June 2011. The following day, I returned to the shelter in search of a new companion and walked out with a bright eyed weiner dog I refer to as my diva dog Lulu. She is something else..always keeping me on my toes! Everyday I say to myself, I can't belive I got her from a shelter and others who have spent time with her are just as surprised.

Aside from that, by adopting it opens a spot for another animal to have a chance at finding a home

2 for 1 deal!
diamondrose is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 5 Users Say Thank You to diamondrose For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 02:55 PM   #51
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Female/Lesbian/half the athlete I used to be
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Thanked 3,735 Times in 1,168 Posts
Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

My household had two rescued kats who lived a long time, pass away in the last year. I went to the humane society knowing I was coming home with a pet or two. I had an open mind.

The place was packed. They had more animals than they had room. The restrooms had cages in them! They had rabbits, ferrits dogs and cats galore. It was hard for me to decide as I love all animals.

Then I saw the decision maker. A big beautiful tabby Kat
with a sign on her cage 7 yrs old, free to a good home. She had been there for 6 months.

Living in a kennel, yes, it's better than the streets or worse......but it's not a way of life. This adorable tabby was a family pet. She was declawed on all four paws and obviously heartbroken she had to be given up. She gained 7 pounds in 6 months living in a 4 foot by 4 foot
cage. She became an emotional eater. She was 25 1/2 pounds when I brought her home.

As I was filling out the paper work, and telling the staff I had room for another one, I was all set up with cat nappers and kat condo's times two of every thing. They told me they had another 7 year old declawed kat that had spent too much time there, in fact he was very shut down. He would require a tremendous amount of patience. They cautioned me, *He was a hitter*. I asked if he ever bit anyone. *No*. Remember, no front nails.
I told them I'd take him (sight unseen).

I set him up in his own room with a window and a kat condo and a kat napper, plus all the other amenities he would need. The humane society lent me a baby gate, so he could slowly get used to his new house.

I gave the humane society a hundred dollars, even though they were not asking an adoption fee for my two teenagers. They were so well taken care of, as over crowded as that place was, and as long as they lived there.

I've had them 90 plus days, and they are doing well. I hope they have no memories of life in the shelter. Tabby is down to 24 pounds.....and my boy kat is an awesome athlete and has never once *Hit* me. He still won't let me pick him up but he's tolerating me stealing kisses.

Just like with Children, it's harder for the shelters to find homes for the older pets. I don't understand why. I'm so glad I was able to bring these two into my life.

As long as there was coffee in the world, how bad could things be??
Dominique is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 03:02 PM   #52
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Dominique thank you for that story!

What a beautiful thing you did by adopting 2 older cats. I have to give that shelter credit for packing the animals in there and not euthanizing them for space. We are in a horrible shelter crisis right now and I am pulling 2 animals asap to foster, one cat and one puppy from high kill shelters where there is no action.

It is a small gesture but doing what little I can do for them.

Thanks to all of you who are loving kind people and care for the innocent little onces who need us so much.

― Rumi

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 03:24 PM   #53
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Dominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST ReputationDominique Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
What a beautiful thing you did by adopting 2 older cats. I have to give that shelter credit for packing the animals in there and not euthanizing them for space. We are in a horrible shelter crisis right now and I am pulling 2 animals asap to foster, one cat and one puppy from high kill shelters where there is no action.
The beautiful thing is the humane society. I am so glad I have these two!! As all animal lovers understand. Keeping them alive as long as they did and taking such good care of them. With the economy sliding, unfortunately family pets feel it. I'm sure thats what happened to my tabby.

In our newsletter (generated by parents of rescues)it notified us of a new program to help raise money for the humane society, pet food cans are being recycled. One
week end a month will be the drop off and again, parents of rescues are taking the collections to the recycle center and turning over the money. Every little bit helps. What a wonderful way to give back.

Thought i'd pass that on. Animals love unconditionally.
They really don't requre that much.

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 06:42 PM   #54
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dominique View Post
The beautiful thing is the humane society. I am so glad I have these two!! As all animal lovers understand. Keeping them alive as long as they did and taking such good care of them. With the economy sliding, unfortunately family pets feel it. I'm sure thats what happened to my tabby.

In our newsletter (generated by parents of rescues)it notified us of a new program to help raise money for the humane society, pet food cans are being recycled. One
week end a month will be the drop off and again, parents of rescues are taking the collections to the recycle center and turning over the money. Every little bit helps. What a wonderful way to give back.

Thought i'd pass that on. Animals love unconditionally.
They really don't requre that much.
Through Facebook I am in contact with a lot of animal rescue groups and shelters around the country. Not all Humane Society's are no kill shelters and there is a real movement toward that end. Also the movement to ban gas chambers on the national level is picking up a lot of support.

There is a very successful program in Dallas that I need to learn more about, where a local group is helping people who are struggling financially to keep their pets by providing food and vet care. They are also working on spay/neuter education. This combined effort is saving on average 5,000 pets a year so far. I want to study this model and see what it would take to spread the word nationwide. Always good to model what works!

Great idea about raising $ for the shelter. I wish that more people had your intentions.

― Rumi

The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 02-02-2013, 07:02 PM   #55
clay
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch (Silver Fox) Dom Daddi
Preferred Pronoun?:
50 Shades of Clay Darker & Deeper
Relationship Status:
married to my forever

Thanked 31,672 Times in 7,710 Posts
clay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputationclay Has the BEST Reputation
Member Photo Albums
Default ^5 to all of you

While I don't post here, I do peruse the thread on occasion.
THANK YOU to all who adopt/foster/help in any way with other animals!!
I now have one of my eight dachshunds I rescued back in 2005.

My partner, who passed in 2009, & I lived out of city limits, and were very active with a dachshund rescue group in Tn. at the time. We did many, many hours of state to state transports, home visits, and checking put vet and personal references on potential adopters/fosters.

We adopted all 8 of our babies from this one organization. One was blind, senior. One was with Cushings, almost 18 yrs. old. One was from a severely abusive past, had been in SIX previous homes...had huge knots and lumps from being beaten so badly, her tail was only 3 inches long from being abused.....had severe cataracts...and the rest were 2 to 2.5 yrs. old.
The one from severe abuse adopted me..no one else could touch her, love on her, or anything. So she became my little "velcro bean". I had her til 2 summers ago, and she went downhill rapidly..she was "around" 16 yrs. old...anyway, she is now at the Rainbow Bridge..waiting on me, along with my deceased partner....

I have the one left now. She is almost 11 yrs. old. She is getting that frosty face I so dearly love on these dogs.
Anyway, I am no longer able to provide a home for any other babies, but this one is stinking rotten!!! I do small things in other ways though....
THANK YOU for the wonderful stories here, for all the tireless efforts put in by all the volunteers, and to each who adopt/foster/transport/etc for these babies all over the US.
Old 02-02-2013, 07:22 PM   #56
Bard
Family Man

How Do You Identify?:
TG Male
Preferred Pronoun?:
Masculine ones
Relationship Status:
She just gets me

Thanked 12,786 Times in 2,431 Posts
Bard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST ReputationBard Has the BEST Reputation

We have 2 rescue pups Phoebe a Whippet- Jack Russel who was dumped at a shelter as soon as she was weaned she was so very shy not socialized and she was about 10 months old when we got her she is a little love bug who has come out of her shell and my Velcro pup still shy with new people when we moved into out house the groomer that cuts Phoebes nails told us about a Sheppard terrier mix at a rescue that would be a great buddy So we got Gracie she only has 3 good legs one paw never developed properly she was a stray and they guess abused she is very leery of new things but she loved Phoebe at first sight they are now a bonded pair. We also have a kitty that people posted on craigslist to get rid of they had a whole litter but only wanted to get rid of jules she was not social they said she is a beauty and a lover just needed love and then there is Sky our horse we got her from a rescue but that is another tale I have to give her up but i know she will have a great home were she will be spoiled
And a hundred percent reason to remember the name!

Give yourself over to absolute pleasure. Swim the warm waters of sins of the flesh - erotic nightmares beyond any measure, and sensual daydreams to treasure forever. Can't you just see it? Don't dream it, be it.
Bard is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Bard For This Useful Post:
Old 02-07-2013, 01:07 AM   #57
maryam

How Do You Identify?:
femme-ish
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
taken

maryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputationmaryam Has the BEST Reputation

We're officially at our limit for pets at our complex because we have two cats. Both of our darlings are rescue girls. I've mentioned Psycho Kitty elsewhere, but she's actually turning out to be a sweetheart. The thing is, she is deathly afraid of dogs (as am I, so no dogs for us. I'm sorry. I love to look, but I have issues...) and small children due to being in a bad situation when she was small. She then went through 7 foster homes or attempted adoptions before we got her. The kicker? She was only 14 months old when we got her. She is a Bengal, as is our older kitty. Both came from rescues. Psycho Kitty has a weird mix of clinginess and fear, with a bit of separation anxiety. She's doing well though. Really coming out of her shell and getting a bit cuddlier. Bengals tend to get put down in shelters a lot because they're viewed as being difficult, or destructive when really, they're very smart, high energy cats that probably aren't good for novice owners. We got our first Bengal from the rescue because we'd had great results with socializing ferals and other hard to home kitty beasts.

So right now, we can't foster more fur foots. But we can foster lizards! and we do! Right now, we have two geckos who are ours, and we're fostering one bearded dragon with lots of personality (he's a clown!) and a uromastyx. Our manager doesn't count them as long as there's 4 or less. Since they're all in secure aquariums, it's all good. We had a small Russian tortoise for a few weeks last fall, and she ended up taking her home. We have done snakes, but I'm squeamish about feeding them pinkies and stuff, so we generally don't get snakes. The lizards eat crickets, meal worms and veggies usually, so they're easier to feed. Yes, I can handle crickets better than mice. Call me weird!

The Spousal Unit would like me to get over the dog issue, and I have been getting better about it. I can handle some smallish ones, and I met a very nice gentle Newfoundland who didn't eat me (which is good!) the other day, but SU is the kind of person who doesn't push it.

Last edited by maryam; 02-07-2013 at 01:09 AM. Reason: derpy words... I hate it when I edit as I go and then say something odd...
maryam is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to maryam For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 09:43 AM   #58
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Default Very Important ACTION - CA

Hello All,

I want to share this article on pending legislation that needs support in CA. AB1213 will ban Bobcat trapping in CA. Chinese fur traders are trapping our cats and selling the pelts for a high profit. Given the inhumane treatment of animals by the Chinese fur industry, this goes from bad to worse. We are looking at slow and painful death for these beautiful cats.

It is hard for me to believe that this is allowed at all, especially in our State and National Parks. Bobcats (as well as all wildlife) are a precious gem of a community and are thriving in recent years.

Please share this article with your networks in CA and if you reside in CA, please take a few minutes to write a letter or email in support of AB1213. I do a lot of legislative advocacy and I have to tell you that this is how change happens, our elected officials take email and letters very seriously as support.

I've asked the Humane Society CA for a lobby day on this bill so we may get organized to lobby the committee that will be reviewing this bill. This should be a no brainer for them however there is no inherent worth in allowing this torture and cruelty.

Please thank Assemblymember Richard Bloom D-Santa Monica for this bill and show your support: assemblymember.bloom@assembly.gov.ca

― Rumi

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:
Old 03-17-2013, 12:59 PM   #59
Dominique

How Do You Identify?:
Preferred Pronoun?:
she/her
Relationship Status:
Dates

Smile Pet food stamps

Home> ABC Univision

What Are Pet Food Stamps?

Child feeding a pit bull Terrier puppy (Tetra Images)

By CONZ PRETI (@conz)
March 16, 2013

A new New York-based non-profit is gaining popularity with a program aimed at helping low income animal owners with the wellbeing of their pets.
Several years ago, a friend of Marc Okon's told him that she was having financial difficulties and was receiving food stamps. "She told me she sometimes feeds her cat before herself and goes without eating," he said in an interview with ABC/Univision. "I felt horrible, and the term 'pet food stamps' entered my mind. It stayed with me until recently when I pursued it further and was able to open up this non-profit nationally."
Okon launched Animal Food Stamps in February of this year. Since then the organization has received more than 125,000 applications covering more than 250,000 pets. The non-profit provides free pet food to owners who need a little help to get to the end of the month. All food is bought thanks to private donations and through PetFlow.com. They expect the first batch of food will be sent out to be delivered next week.

Tetra Images
Child feeding a pit bull Terrier puppy View Full Size

Tetra Images
Child feeding a pit bull Terrier puppy

Since it was launched, the service has received so many applications that the verification processes is backed up by about three weeks. Once approved, Pet Food Stamps will supply up to six months of free food. Owners will then have to re-apply to get another six months worth of food. Okon says, if needed, they could fill all of the current applications, but not all may meet the approval process requirements.
For those looking to receive dog food the process is simple. Log on to Pet Food Stamps and fill out a brief form. Soon after, a volunteer will reach out to verify the information, perform an income background check and approve or reject the petition. If people qualify for federal food stamps (and about 15 percent of the nation does) or fall below the poverty line, they will likely qualify for pet food, too.
The goal is not only to help pet owners in need, but also to lower the number of abandoned animals around the country. Although there have been numerous attempts to reduce the shelter intake number, such as low cost vet services, counseling and free spaying and neutering, this unique program is meant to fill a distinct void. According to Okon "seven million pets are surrendered to shelters each year with four million being killed due to lack of food."
The non-profit is not only working with pet owners, but also sending literature to every shelter in the country to hand out to people before they surrender their pets. "We are confident this will make a huge difference in shelter population, amount of pets put to sleep and help keep families together," Okon said.
As the non-profit grows and continues to increase its funding, Okon expects to hire more people and recruit more volunteers to help with the approval process, which would vastly increase the amount of daily pet food deliveries. They will also be airing a television commercial to raise awareness to the issue in the coming weeks.
As they say on their website, Pet Food Stamps doesn't want to see pet owners be put in between supporting their animal or paying the rent.

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Dominique For This Useful Post:
Old 03-18-2013, 12:51 AM   #60
Sun

How Do You Identify?:
Trans
Preferred Pronoun?:
He, him, his
Relationship Status:
Single

Dominique thank you for posting about the Pet Food stamps that one totally slipped my mind. What a great program. I saw the introduction and surge of the program on Facebook.

So many pets are being surrendered because their guardians are experiencing financial stress, so hopefully this will help to keep some pets with their families.

― Rumi

The Following User Says Thank You to Sun For This Useful Post:

Tags
cat, dog, pets, rescue