Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > POLITICS, CULTURE, NEWS, MEDIA > Current Affairs/World Issues/Science And History

Old 06-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #301
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation
Default One Of Us......

(2017)

Penetrating the insular world of New York's Hasidic community, focusing on three individuals driven to break away despite threats of retaliation.
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-08-2018, 10:54 PM   #302
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

In French with subtitles.....
Old 07-17-2018, 11:32 AM   #303
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
gentle stonebutch [vanilla]
Relationship Status:
single

Thanked 1,204 Times in 422 Posts
charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up ROBIN WILLIAMS: Come Inside My Mind (2018)

I watched the documentary of the life of Robin Williams - ROBIN WILLIAMS: Come Inside My Mind (2018) (on HBO) and it was worth it; I laughed so hard at times, I had tears in my eyes - - what a comedic genius he was. He will be missed. I highly recommend it.

He really did process reality differently than you or I...

Nanu, Nanu

Last edited by charley; 07-17-2018 at 11:38 AM. Reason: was a documentary
charley is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-17-2018, 09:45 PM   #304
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Old 07-24-2018, 11:00 PM   #305
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

charley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputationcharley Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up Bombshell: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017)

On the Documentary Channel, I just finished watching BOMBSHELL: The Hedy Lamarr Story (2017). - Produced by Susan Sarandon. This most beautiful woman was a Hollywood star. However, it is entirely unknown that this woman also "invented" and "patented" something called "frequency hopping" for which she never got a cent!!!!!! Now worth approx. $30 billion (if I remember correctly, I hope, lol) and integrated into all cell phones, wi-fi, GPS, and Bluetooth, it was originally "stolen" (back in 1955) and used in bombers during the Vietnam war and earlier... absolutely amazing and fascinating story of her life - how the Hollywood sexist machine looked at her only as a sex object - so sad.

There is a trailer, but here I have decided on a YouTube video that more accurately describes a synopsis of this documentary, called The Brilliant Mind, wherein NewsHour Weekend's Megan Thompson spoke to Alexandra Dean, director of the film:

Hedy Lamarr ...

There is also an article in the Guardian, if you prefer to read the review:

https://www.theguardian.com/film/201...susan-sarandon
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2018, 03:45 PM   #306
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Diarist Anne Frank

I was browsing online today for an interesting movie-like documentary to watch and found an cinematic portrait of the life of Anne Frank, her parent's Edith and Otto Frank, and her sister Margot, and their small circle of family friends and helpers who stood by them during the Holocaust.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Anne_Frank
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2018, 06:04 PM   #307
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Identical triplets become separated at birth and adopted by three different families. Years later, their amazing reunion becomes a global sensation but also unearths an unimaginable secret that has radical repercussions.
Old 08-11-2018, 05:26 AM   #308
Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Chinese Exclusion Act

Examines the origin, history and impact of the 1882 law that made it illegal for Chinese workers to come to America and for Chinese nationals already here ever to become U.S. citizens. The first in a long line of acts targeting the Chinese for exclusion, it remained in force for more than 60 years.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-30-2018, 10:49 AM   #309
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Far From The Tree.......Based on the NY Times bestselling book by Andrew Solomon, Far from the Tree examines the experiences of families in which parents and children are profoundly different from one another in a variety of ways.
Old 08-30-2018, 01:28 PM   #310
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Church & State............
Old 11-30-2018, 08:22 AM   #311
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

Smile Flying Solo

I recently saw a Canadian documentary "Flying Solo", a CBC episode of Doc Zone on living alone, on the Documentary channel on TV.

There was a good statement made by one of the interviewees to the effect that one must make a distinction between living alone, being alone, and being lonely. Personally, I love the feeling of being alone and the psychological freedom it gives me, which doesn't imply that I would not consider being in a relationship.

This documentary originally aired on TV in January of 2015; however, it is also available to watch on YouTube as follows:

The Following User Says Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 11-30-2018, 03:04 PM   #312
Vincent

How Do You Identify?:
Transman
Preferred Pronoun?:
Him,he
Relationship Status:
just me

Vincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST ReputationVincent Has the BEST Reputation
Default Salute

A documary /movie of the most famous Olympic photo in Mexico Olympic games 1968.
The question "who was the white guy","did he support it?"
Peter Normon was an Australian athlete,and yes he was part of the protest.
that protest,destroyed peters life here in Australia,he was shunned by the whole white racist country,and went virtually unknown for years.

At the Sydney Olympics,the commitee,asked Normon,would he retract his involvement in the political protest,supporting the civil rights movement.If so they would restore his achiements and let him participatein the Olympics

Peter stood by his princples and said NO

I found this story interesting,so much I bought and framed the iconic picture.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=t4LvwXYmt3Q

https://www.imdb.com/title/tt0874317...tt_pv_vi_aiv_1
If Not Now-When
If Not Here-Where
Vincent is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Vincent For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 07:42 AM   #313
charley
Timed Out - Permanent

How Do You Identify?:
Relationship Status:
single

Cool Whitney Houston

Saw the documentary "Whitney" 2018, which I liked very much, it was very interesting. I don't think there are many who haven't heard her sing: "I will always love you", from her film "The Bodyguard".
Considering what I have read in several posts, there are possible triggers...

The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to charley For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 08:19 AM   #314
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

This is a fantastic piece of work........
Old 12-04-2018, 04:40 PM   #315
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Girl_On_Fire View Post
Just saw this one yesterday:

Very interested. I already knew "Faux News" was a crock but it really gets in depth and connects some of the dots you may have missed. Interesting.
I had a headache for two weeks after I saw that movie!
WheatToast is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 12-04-2018, 05:07 PM   #316
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

WheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST ReputationWheatToast Has the BEST Reputation
Default Documentary for Music Lovers

The Wrecking Crew (Netflix) is an amazing documentary about a group of unassuming studio musicians to whom singers and recording superstar artists from the 60's, 70's and 80's always turned when they wanted perfection.
The songs they played on ranged from a bunch of bubble-gum pop songs to, "These Boots Were Made for Walking," and Brian Wilson's masterpiece, "Good Vibrations."
Their combined virtuosity was stunning, especially bass player Carol Kaye--a woman who looked like a middle-aged housewife.
Considering how many Number One songs by heavy metal and psychedelic band recording sessions they sat in for, they all seemed like regular, establishment types who looked more like they were more into office bowling leagues than Billboard's Top Ten.
Check it out:
https://youtu.be/hhl-3EOYTkc
Old 12-09-2018, 10:38 AM   #317
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,926 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by WheatToast View Post
I had a headache for two weeks after I saw that movie!
RE: Your comment on the documentary viewed by Girl_On_Fire -- the one about Outfoxed: Rupert Murdock's War On Journalism inspired me to look into this particular documentary, WheatToast.

One of the things that came to mind, while watching it for about twenty minutes (it was hard to watch, especially after the repeated aural assault via the phrase -- "Somebody says" --- or something like that), was an idea concerning (the...when, where, why, how, etc.!) the rise of Fact-Checking in journalism or other media outlets.

I found a couple of interesting leads via one published scholarly article and one major political news magazine (TIME). I'll leave both of links to articles here, in case you or anyone else might be interested in reading about the Rise of Fact-Checking in journalism.

A) An PDF scholarly article published by The American Press Institute:

Fact Checking Polarized Politics: Does The Fact Checking Industry Provide Consistent Guidance On Disputed Realities? (Marletta, M., Barker, D.C., Browser, T. in The Forum, Volume 13, Issue 4, 2015, pp. 577-596)

B) From TIME magazine (2017):

Here's How The Fact Checkers Did Their Job Before The Internet (Fabrey, M., August 24th, 2017, Time Magazine).

I thought both articles about Fact-Checking were very interesting. And, I have to agree with you about your head-ache from watching that documentary. I didn't exactly sleep in today, due to watching just a portion of that documentary last night. I'll sleep in on another Sunday...
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 12-15-2018, 01:26 PM   #318
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post

This documentary is an interview with Ray Charles and the concert he performed in London, England. He talks about his life and career as an artist.

There's also a great documentary about the life of legendary music producer Quincy Jones. It's called, "Quincy." Netflix.
The Following User Says Thank You to WheatToast For This Useful Post:
Old 12-20-2018, 08:31 AM   #319
WheatToast

How Do You Identify?:
butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
she her

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
The Keepers (2017)

Focuses on the murder of Sister Cathy Cesnik in Baltimore 45 years ago. Was it covered up? Was it part of a bigger net of murky deals and unspoken crimes within the religious institution?
OMG!! I binge watched the whole thing and it made me want to rejoin the Catholic church so I could quit again. For priests, IMO, forced celebacy with adult women is the perfect cover for pedophiles. The documentary was extremely unsettling, but very well done.
Old 12-20-2018, 11:09 AM   #320
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Roger Ailes Divide And Conquer.......