Kobi
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Biological female. Lesbian.
Relationship Status:
Happy

39 Highscores

Thanked 34,660 Times in 7,651 Posts
Kobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST ReputationKobi Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kätzchen View Post
Kobi? Does Joan Williams supply footnotes, and possibly an indexed appendice in her book? I also wonder too, if you don't mind sharing, is Williams neutral, non-partisan in her views and as well, is she a current Sociology professional? I ask because I am not familiar with any of her works. And thanks for your post! : )

Joan C. Williams is Distinguished Professor of Law and Founding Director of the Center of Work Life Law at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. Described as having "something approaching rock star status” by the New York Times, she has played a central role in documenting how work-family conflict affects working-class families and in reshaping the debates over women’s advancement for the past quarter-century.

I never heard of her either. After this book, I am looking forward to reading her other book - Unbending gender : why family and work conflict and what to do about it.

There are 30 pages of footnotes to browse through.

Neutral and non partisan? Hm. That sounds like you are asking me if she is using data to push for one political viewpoint over another.

I didnt see or feel that. I saw a new and refreshing way of looking at data and leaving it up to the reader to form their own conclusions as to what resonates with them and why.

There are three things that stand out to me. The first is the way she shows commonalities across ethnicity as well as specific and unique differences when it comes to looking at something from a class perspective.

Secondly, she illustrates in a simple way as to how the social contract between employers and employees has been radically changed since WW2 , how the demise of labor unions (class specific) has taken a toll on middle America, and globalization has led to a different approach in policy. All add up to significant losses for a significant amount of people.

Third, and most importantly to me, is showing the assumptions and presumptions people make, from the top on down which skews reality, and creates and perpetuates divisions.

If you read it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. This is a theme I am seeing more and more in contemporary writings.

Kobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kobi For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 12:42 PM   #2802
knight

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

knight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputation
Default The Girl Who Wrote in Silk

The Girl Who Wrote in Silk---Kelli Estes

A simple reading about the lives of two women 130 years apart that are connected with a secret. A light presentation of the horrific historical time of the late 1800's when the Chinese population were pushed out of the Northern West Coast of the US and Canada. The story mostly takes place in the Seattle area and Orcas Island.
knight is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to knight For This Useful Post:
Old 07-16-2017, 02:33 PM   #2803
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Thanked 31,927 Times in 9,907 Posts
Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kobi View Post

Joan C. Williams is Distinguished Professor of Law and Founding Director of the Center of Work Life Law at the University of California, Hastings College of the Law. Described as having "something approaching rock star status” by the New York Times, she has played a central role in documenting how work-family conflict affects working-class families and in reshaping the debates over women’s advancement for the past quarter-century.

I never heard of her either. After this book, I am looking forward to reading her other book - Unbending gender : why family and work conflict and what to do about it.

There are 30 pages of footnotes to browse through.

Neutral and non partisan? Hm. That sounds like you are asking me if she is using data to push for one political viewpoint over another.

I didnt see or feel that. I saw a new and refreshing way of looking at data and leaving it up to the reader to form their own conclusions as to what resonates with them and why.

There are three things that stand out to me. The first is the way she shows commonalities across ethnicity as well as specific and unique differences when it comes to looking at something from a class perspective.

Secondly, she illustrates in a simple way as to how the social contract between employers and employees has been radically changed since WW2 , how the demise of labor unions (class specific) has taken a toll on middle America, and globalization has led to a different approach in policy. All add up to significant losses for a significant amount of people.

Third, and most importantly to me, is showing the assumptions and presumptions people make, from the top on down which skews reality, and creates and perpetuates divisions.

If you read it, I'd be interested in your thoughts. This is a theme I am seeing more and more in contemporary writings.
Oh, very nice! Thank you Kobi.... I will snag a copy of it soon. That's impressive, 30 pages of foot notes! And I'm sure that her source citations will be very interesting. Every field of academic study adheres to particular tenets of research methods, so no doubt Law will utilize stringent codification process of discovery. Very nice, and many thanks!!

_____ ______
Kätzchen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 12:53 PM   #2804
firecat242

How Do You Identify?:
Woman first...anything after that is on a need to know basis.
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
I am in a committed relationship with myself.

firecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputationfirecat242 Has the BEST Reputation

Just started Sacred Economics by Charles Eisentsein....and to balance that out I am currently rediscovering Maya Angelou with I Know Why the Caged Bird Sings.
Old 07-25-2017, 01:02 PM   #2805
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Thanked 33,587 Times in 14,918 Posts
homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
The Girl Who Wrote in Silk---Kelli Estes

A simple reading about the lives of two women 130 years apart that are connected with a secret. A light presentation of the horrific historical time of the late 1800's when the Chinese population were pushed out of the Northern West Coast of the US and Canada. The story mostly takes place in the Seattle area and Orcas Island.
Hey Knight, thanks for posting this! I've ordered it from Thrift Books and I'm going to be reading it next whenever it arrives by mail
homoe is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-25-2017, 10:03 PM   #2806
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Kätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST ReputationKätzchen Has the BEST Reputation
Default Book first, movie second ♡♡♡

Anna Karenina (Leo Tolstoy).

_____ ______
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:31 PM   #2807
knight

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

knight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputationknight Has the BEST Reputation

Hey there homoe, I am excited that you will read the book... It inspired me to research the PNW history of the treatment of the Chinese population in the late 1800's... I hope that you like it.. its a quick fluffy read but very enjoyable.
cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Hey Knight, thanks for posting this! I've ordered it from Thrift Books and I'm going to be reading it next whenever it arrives by mail
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to knight For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:32 PM   #2808
knight

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

One of my favourite books of all times that I read again and again.

Quote:

The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knight For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 02:34 PM   #2809
BullDog
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
Dominant Stone Butch Daddy
Preferred Pronoun?:
She

Thanked 22,784 Times in 4,469 Posts
BullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST ReputationBullDog Has the BEST Reputation

OMG this is my favorite novel of all time. I know it has a horrible message of the adulterous woman but I truly love this book - the passion, romance, intriguing characters, all the beautiful set pieces of 19th century Russia, I just love it. I have read it dozens of times since I was a teenager.

Quote:

\

Edit: LMAO knight posting at the same time.

- Rainer Maria Rilke
BullDog is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to BullDog For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 06:09 PM   #2810
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

homoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputationhomoe Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by knight View Post
Hey there homoe, I am excited that you will read the book... It inspired me to research the PNW history of the treatment of the Chinese population in the late 1800's... I hope that you like it.. its a quick fluffy read but very enjoyable.
cheers!
Knight, you may enjoy the book "Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet"
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:
Old 07-27-2017, 07:04 PM   #2811
justkim

How Do You Identify?:
Me...
Preferred Pronoun?:
Relationship Status:
<3 myself

Thanked 6,801 Times in 1,553 Posts
justkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputationjustkim Has the BEST Reputation

I must first finish Giants before I can move onto You don't have to say you love me...

Giants
The dwarfs of Auschwitz
The extraordinary story of the Lilliput Troupe
Written by Yehuda Koren & Eilat Negev

You don't have to say you love me
A memoir
Sherman Alexie
The absolutely true diary of a part-time Indian

"A word of encouragement during a failure is worth more than an hour of praise after success."
- Unknown -
justkim is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to justkim For This Useful Post:
Old 07-28-2017, 04:08 PM   #2812
Greco

How Do You Identify?:
GNC, not Trans, REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Preferred Pronoun?:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.
Relationship Status:
REAL. TIME. ONLY.

Thanked 6,643 Times in 2,288 Posts
Greco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST ReputationGreco Has the BEST Reputation
Default p

"Political Ponerology" A science on the nature of evil adjusted for political purposesby Andrew M Lobaczewski

"The original manuscript of this book
went into the furnace minutes before
a secret police raid in Communist Poland.
The second copy, painfully reassembled
by scientists working under impossible
conditions of violence and repression, was
sent via courier to the Vatican. Its receipt was
never acknowledged - the manuscript and all
valuable data lost.

In 1984, the third and final copy was written
from memory by the last survivor of the original
researchers: Andrew Lobaczewski.
Zbigniew Brzezinski blocked its publication.

After half a century of suppression, this book is
finally available...."

Real.

Greco

"Me gusta andar, pero no sigo el camino pues lo seguro no tiene misterio." Facundo Cabral
Greco is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Greco For This Useful Post:
Old 07-29-2017, 12:29 PM   #2813
knight

How Do You Identify?:
Butch

Homoe thank you so much for the suggestion I will order it from our local book store... It looks like a great read.
cheers!

Quote:
Originally Posted by homoe View Post
Knight, you may enjoy the book "Hotel on the corner of bitter and sweet"
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to knight For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 07:23 AM   #2814
Orema
Superlative Soul Sister

How Do You Identify?:
Lesbian stone femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her, shawty
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 34,013 Times in 8,560 Posts
Orema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST ReputationOrema Has the BEST Reputation

Wrong Answer (an article on a school in Atlanta) by Rachel Aviv
Orema is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to Orema For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2017, 07:29 AM   #2815
2qt

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her..
Relationship Status:
Single

1 Highscore

Thanked 1,967 Times in 582 Posts
2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation2qt Has the BEST Reputation

Game Of Thrones - A dance with dragons.....
2qt is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 4 Users Say Thank You to 2qt For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 09:16 AM   #2816
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:

I've had troubles with my vision and having migraine headaches during the current heatwave going on in our neck of the woods, but I've read the first couple of chapters!

It's a great study on what NOT to do in a romantic relationship, *lol*. I broke out in a case of laughter over a character (Stevin) who just can't seem to get it right. Stevin goes out to skate on ice to woo the woman he's attracted to, but the woman sees right through the facade of his moves. She busts Stevin by telling him that she's not attracted to him at all because he 'stirred another woman' wrongly. Priceless!!!

_____ ______
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 10:10 AM   #2817
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

The Slave Ship: A Human History
by Marcus Rediker
In this widely praised history of an infamous institution, award-winning scholar Marcus Rediker shines a light into the darkest corners of the British and American slave ships of the eighteenth century. Drawing on thirty years of research in maritime archives, court records, diaries, and firsthand accounts, The Slave Ship is riveting and sobering in its revelations, reconstructing in chilling detail a world nearly lost to history: the "floating dungeons" at the forefront of the birth of African American culture.
Old 08-10-2017, 10:11 AM   #2818
dark_crystal
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
jenny
Preferred Pronoun?:
babygirl
Relationship Status:
First Lady of the United SMH

Thanked 26,589 Times in 4,691 Posts
dark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputationdark_crystal Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:

One of my very favorites-- especially the long metaphysical tangent at the end: beautiful
Old 08-10-2017, 10:43 AM   #2819
Kätzchen

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
Attached & Monogamous

Quote:
Originally Posted by dark_crystal View Post

The Slave Ship: A Human History
by Marcus Rediker
In this widely praised history of an infamous institution, award-winning scholar Marcus Rediker shines a light into the darkest corners of the British and American slave ships of the eighteenth century. Drawing on thirty years of research in maritime archives, court records, diaries, and firsthand accounts, The Slave Ship is riveting and sobering in its revelations, reconstructing in chilling detail a world nearly lost to history: the "floating dungeons" at the forefront of the birth of African American culture.
LQQKS like a good read, dark_crystal!

And, I'll keep that in mind about the end of the Tolstoy book, too.

_____ ______
The Following User Says Thank You to Kätzchen For This Useful Post:
Old 08-10-2017, 10:45 AM   #2820
homoe
Practically Lives Here

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:

Quote:
LQQKS like a good read, dark_crystal!

And, I'll keep that in mind about the end of the Tolstoy book, too.
Miss Katz how long before you reckon you'll be done with that big ass book, any clue?
The Following User Says Thank You to homoe For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading