Butch Femme Planet  

Go Back   Butch Femme Planet > FUN > The Fluffy Stuff: Flirting, Humor, Chat

Notices

Old 08-07-2011, 07:45 PM   #821
Novelafemme
Timed Out - TOS Drama

How Do You Identify?:

Thanked 8,925 Times in 1,834 Posts
Novelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST ReputationNovelafemme Has the BEST Reputation

just started the Forgotten Garden by Kate Morton
Novelafemme is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Novelafemme For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 10:52 AM   #822
foxyshaman

How Do You Identify?:
spiritually minded dirt dog

Thanked 2,593 Times in 663 Posts
foxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputationfoxyshaman Has the BEST Reputation

The Art of Shapeshifting - Ted Andrews
Fire in the Head; Shamanism and the Celtic Spirit - Tom Cowan
Imagery in Healing: Shamanism and Modern Medicine - Jeanne Achteberg.

I am writing a workshop from scratch on Shapeshifting - a little known shamanic practice. These are my references. So far, so good.

Muriel Strode
foxyshaman is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to foxyshaman For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 11:41 AM   #823
Cowboi

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Relationship Status:
Holding My Red Circle

1 Highscore

Thanked 3,962 Times in 1,230 Posts
Cowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST ReputationCowboi Has the BEST Reputation

Rogue Warrior
Autobiography of the founder of
the US Navy's Seal Team Six.
Old 08-08-2011, 12:00 PM   #824
SomethingBeautiful

How Do You Identify?:
Neither butch nor femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She/her, captain? :P
Relationship Status:
Existant & no so complex anymore

SomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST ReputationSomethingBeautiful Has the BEST Reputation

I have quite the book list I need to resume. Currently I'm reading "The girl who kicked the hornet's nest" by Stieg Larsson. I've read the series at least 4 times over the last 2 years. If you haven't read his "Millenium series" I highly recommend it.
SomethingBeautiful is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to SomethingBeautiful For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 02:14 PM   #825
Fancy

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She
Relationship Status:
N/A

Thanked 7,098 Times in 2,321 Posts
Fancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST ReputationFancy Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fancy View Post
Just started...
Hot House Flower - and the 9 Plants of Desire
By Margot Berwin
Eh, this isn't as good as I'd expected it to be. Quite simple in style and mostly unbelievable. I think the title over-sold.
Fancy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Fancy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-08-2011, 05:43 PM   #826
Wryly

How Do You Identify?:
bemused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
polite ones, please
Relationship Status:
single butch

Thanked 1,568 Times in 620 Posts
Wryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST Reputation

Really enjoying the A Song of Fire and Ice books - - by George R. R. Martin. I finished A Game of Thrones very quickly and read A Clash of Kings in 4 days. I have to wait until Thursday (payday) before I can get A Storm of Swords. *sigh*
Wryly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wryly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 02:21 PM   #827
willow
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
sugar and spice
Preferred Pronoun?:
she

Thanked 6,751 Times in 1,837 Posts
willow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputationwillow Has the BEST Reputation

Just finished: Sexing the Cherry - Jeanette Winterson

Now reading: The Pillars of the Earth - Ken Follet

Next up: Fuck It: The Ultimate Spiritual Way - John C. Parkin

http://fc05.deviantart.net/fs11/i/20...ockAvatars.gif

willow is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to willow For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 08:30 PM   #828
Sassy

How Do You Identify?:
Female
Relationship Status:
Together

Thanked 1,928 Times in 460 Posts
Sassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST ReputationSassy Has the BEST Reputation

A Dance with Dragons (Song of Ice and Fire, Book V)

Persistence: All ways butch and femme

Anger: Wisdom for Cooling the Flames (Thich Nhat Hanh)

----------

So, A Dance with Dragons is very groovy so far. I've only read about 5 of the essays out of Persistence but so far it's interesting. And I haven't opened Anger yet. I'm resenting it's presence in my house at the moment. I intend to read it. But first I have to forgive it for violating my space and forcing me to realize I need better communication skills. *ahem* ... Yeah. So A Dance with Dragons is good
Sassy is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Sassy For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 08:42 PM   #829
Soft*Silver
Infamous Member

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
she
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 15,565 Times in 3,960 Posts
Soft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST ReputationSoft*Silver Has the BEST Reputation

I cant remember the name or the author (Jodi Piccoult or something like that) but its a novel about a teenaged boy who has Aspergers and loves forensics and ends up being accused of murder. How the system handles him is awful and yet, thru the book, it shows exactly how terrifying the world can be for someone with Aspergers. Wonderfully done...
The Following User Says Thank You to Soft*Silver For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 08:48 PM   #830
Random

How Do You Identify?:
femme
Relationship Status:
Married

Thanked 5,327 Times in 1,379 Posts
Random Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST ReputationRandom Has the BEST Reputation

Quote:
Originally Posted by wolfbittenpoet View Post
American Gods the Tenth Anniversary Edition by Neil Gaiman
Hit List by Laurell K Hamilton
How did you like Hit List?
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #831
Wryly

How Do You Identify?:
bemused butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
polite ones, please
Relationship Status:
single butch

Thanked 1,568 Times in 620 Posts
Wryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST ReputationWryly Has the BEST Reputation

A Storm of Swords by George R.R. Martin (Song of Fire and Ice, Book 3).

I just picked it up while running errands today. Too busy to read it now but will carve out some time tomorrow and over the weekend.
Wryly is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Wryly For This Useful Post:
Old 08-11-2011, 09:39 PM   #832
tapu

How Do You Identify?:
Understated butch.
Preferred Pronoun?:
I
Relationship Status:
Party of One

Thanked 3,112 Times in 1,103 Posts
tapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputationtapu Has the BEST Reputation

Bonk by Mary Roach

The Curious Coupling
Of Science and Sex

It isn't as good as Stiff.
Old 08-11-2011, 09:51 PM   #833
tonaderspeisung

How Do You Identify?:
asleep at the synthesizer
Preferred Pronoun?:
crown prince of dirty disco

Thanked 1,794 Times in 857 Posts
tonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputationtonaderspeisung Has the BEST Reputation

just finished
galapagos - kurt vonnegut
tonaderspeisung is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to tonaderspeisung For This Useful Post:
Old 08-12-2011, 04:24 AM   #834
Reader
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch, Dyke, Feminist, Contrarian
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, her
Relationship Status:
Single

Thanked 2,229 Times in 586 Posts
Reader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST ReputationReader Has the BEST Reputation
Thumbs up A Man in Full

A Man in Full (1998) by Tom Wolfe

Some interesting characters, thoughts and concepts woven with good writing and a fast-pace story.
Reader is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Reader For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2011, 08:29 AM   #835
daisygrrl

How Do You Identify?:
mouthy but adorable; kinky Gerbera
Preferred Pronoun?:
hey, cutie (or dudette)
Relationship Status:
xoxo

1 Highscore

daisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputationdaisygrrl Has the BEST Reputation

Finally reading S. Bear Bergman's Butch is Noun along with a fabulous butch--amazing discussions!

Being read to: Emmanuelle by Emmanuelle Arsan...yummy, sensuous, prose...

Hold on to the lessons, let go of the pain.
--Leslie Feinberg
daisygrrl is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to daisygrrl For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2011, 09:05 AM   #836
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

I've just finished reading

'The Girl Who Circumnavigated Fairyland in a Ship of Her Own Making' by Catherynne M. Valente

It is YA fiction, it was sweet and quirky and charming; but quite a slow read. Probably best for the 10 and under crowd.

Now I'm thinking perhaps this...

'The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ' by Philip Pullman
(the author of the His Dark Materials Trilogy including the Golden Compass)

from amazon:
"The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ is the remarkable new piece of fiction from best-selling and famously atheistic author Philip Pullman. By challenging the events of the gospels, Pullman puts forward his own compelling and plausible version of the life of Jesus, and in so doing, does what all great books do: makes the reader ask questions.

In Pullman’s own words, “The story I tell comes out of the tension within the dual nature of Jesus Christ, but what I do with it is my responsibility alone. Parts of it read like a novel, parts like history, and parts like a fairy tale; I wanted it to be like that because it is, among other things, a story about how stories become stories.”

Written with unstinting authority, The Good Man Jesus and the Scoundrel Christ is a pithy, erudite, subtle, and powerful book by a controversial and beloved author. It is a text to be read and reread, studied and unpacked, much like the Good Book itself."
Old 08-14-2011, 09:26 AM   #837
Sparkle

How Do You Identify?:
Femme
Preferred Pronoun?:
She, please
Relationship Status:
Loved Up

Thanked 6,624 Times in 1,561 Posts
Sparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST ReputationSparkle Has the BEST Reputation

Is anyone here a Haruki Murakami fan?

I'm looking for a recommendation.

I enjoyed 'Sputnik Sweetheart' quite a bit -but- couldn't get through the first few chapters of 'Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World' it was incomprehensible to me.

I think I found 'Sputnik Sweetheart' a bit easier because it was more linear with less layers and layers of fantasy and I didn't have to wait so long to "get it".

I love the surrealism & the post-modernism of his writing. I like the themes and his humour. But some of his works feel so barren, so stripped of emotional depth that I just can't get in to them. Or maybe its a cultural thing? Anyone?
Old 08-14-2011, 10:30 AM   #838
NoahMacchione
Timed Out

How Do You Identify?:
Butch
Preferred Pronoun?:
Permanently Banned 08/15/2011
Relationship Status:
Involved

NoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST ReputationNoahMacchione Has the BEST Reputation

Hi Sparkle,

I have read a Wild Sheep Chase by this author. It is a very short read 110 ten pages total. It is very Monty Python-ish. So, if you like that type of humor you will like this book.

It is a mock-detective tale that follows an unnamed Japanese man through Tokyo and Hokkaidō in 1978. The passive, chain-smoking main character gets swept away on an adventure that leads him on a hunt for a sheep that hasn’t been seen for years. The apathetic protagonist meets a woman with magically seductive ears and a strange man who dresses as a sheep and talks in slurs; in this way there are elements of Japanese animism or Shinto.

There is a sequel to it as well entitled Dance, Dance, Dance which follows the adventures of the Sheep Man and the protagonist from the first book.

I have not read the ones you have mentioned. However, you did ask for a recommendation so I would try the short read and see what you think.

Happy Reading !!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sparkle View Post
Is anyone here a Haruki Murakami fan?

I'm looking for a recommendation.

I enjoyed 'Sputnik Sweetheart' quite a bit -but- couldn't get through the first few chapters of 'Hardboiled Wonderland and the End of the World' it was incomprehensible to me.

I think I found 'Sputnik Sweetheart' a bit easier because it was more linear with less layers and layers of fantasy and I didn't have to wait so long to "get it".

I love the surrealism & the post-modernism of his writing. I like the themes and his humour. But some of his works feel so barren, so stripped of emotional depth that I just can't get in to them. Or maybe its a cultural thing? Anyone?
NoahMacchione is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to NoahMacchione For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2011, 10:57 AM   #839
Ryobi

How Do You Identify?:
TG Stone Butch. Over all, I identify by living my life.
Preferred Pronoun?:
He/His

Thanked 1,238 Times in 357 Posts
Ryobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST ReputationRyobi Has the BEST Reputation

Torture at the back forty. The gang rape and slaying of Margaret Anderson. By Mike Dauplaise

I was 11 years old when this all happened within 10 miles of my childhood home. From what I can tell, the book doesn't have the detail of the crime that was reported on the local news at the time. (that's ok. it's just sickening.) I have met relatives of a few involved in this over the years, still not much willingness to talk about it though. I saw the book in the bargain bin at B and N. Thought I would give it a try. I can only read it in little bits but, it is helping me understand somethings I just had no way of understanding when I was 11.

"To choose a word is to choose a world" Anonymous
Ryobi is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Ryobi For This Useful Post:
Old 08-14-2011, 11:24 AM   #840
Arwen
Joy Seeker

How Do You Identify?:
Smartly-Flavored
Preferred Pronoun?:
Goddess
Relationship Status:
Mrs. Syzygy 1/9/14

Thanked 28,132 Times in 6,414 Posts
Arwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST ReputationArwen Has the BEST Reputation

Reading "Becoming Marie Antoinette" by Juliet Grey. I'm a sucker for well-written historical fiction. This one is in first person (not my favorite POV).

I'm enjoying this very sympathetic look at the child who was an spoiled archduchess of Austria. She was quite literally recreated for the French court. About halfway through.

I'm also still reading book four of the "A Song of Fire and Ice" quartet. Had to stop to let a co-worker catch up. LOL We are having a mini-book club.
Arwen is offline   Reply With Quote
The Following User Says Thank You to Arwen For This Useful Post:

Tags
books, reading